You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Voting Reform [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Voting Reform

HBox
03-24-2003, 07:21 PM
This is a politics board, and so far every post has had to do with war so I figured we could use a post about an issue having nothing to do with the war, and hopefully nothing to do with liberal/conservative.

Voting reform. Should we continue with the electoral college system or use popular vote, or something altogether different?

I think we should use popular vote. The electoral college system essentially makes votes from one state more valuable than another state, and I just think that is wrong. I think each and every vote should be equal.

P.S. I didn't mean to dredge up the whole 2000 election fiasco, so PLEASE, do us all a favor and don't bring it up.

FiveB247
03-24-2003, 09:26 PM
The electoral system gives preference to larger states and allows for candidates to press his campaign there while disregarding smaller states with less votes.

My vote in NY counts more in an election then someone from NJ for example. If a candidate wins NY...it holds more electoral votes. Clearly unbalanced.

I would also like to note that no where does it say in the Electoral College that the representative of your state "Must" go by what is chosen by the people. They obviously always give the electoral votes without problem or question, but it is not mandatory.

King Imp
03-25-2003, 02:03 AM
I, for one, hate the whole idea of the electoral college. Like FiveB said, it is clearly unbalanced. Just because you win a larger state, that means more than one that is smaller? That's just stupid in my opinion.

I believe it should go solely based on the total amount of votes period. We are voting as a nation so we should all count equally in our votes and not based on where we live.

Not that I wanted to see Al Gore win, but if it was decided based on total votes he would clearly be our President right now. Whether that's good or bad is a whole other debate though.