You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Mancow's Sour Grapes? [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Mancow's Sour Grapes?

Tenbatsuzen
06-23-2006, 05:30 PM
<p>Does Erich Muller, better known to radio listeners as Mancow, know
something unknown to investors in Sirius and XM? &quot;It's old technology!
I have a cellphone that can get any radio station on Earth for free!
Why the hell would I pay for radio?&quot; he rants to Chaunce Hayden in
Penthouse. &quot;You can go on the Internet and listen to Howard Stern for
free! Why would you pay for that? . . . <a href="http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix/pagesix_u.htm">Satellite is a giant scheme. When this is over, it's going to be just like Enron. They have sold America a bill of goods.</a> It's one of those things where a few people at the top are going to make money, and everyone else is going to get screwed.&quot;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Now, Mancow is attacking two things here - listening to satellite radio AND the business practices of XM and Sirius.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Where the business practice attack may have SOME merit, this whole cell phone and &quot;listening on the internet&quot; smacks of sour grapes. &nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Listening on a cellphone still costs money.&nbsp; And for the most part, people listen to the radio in the car.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

NortonRules
06-23-2006, 06:06 PM
<p>Isn't Mancow on Sirius?&nbsp; Or is that some other baskstabbing douche?&nbsp; I always get them all confused.&nbsp; I'm not up on my radio hacks.&nbsp; </p><p>Anything besides AFRO is grabage.&nbsp; </p>

NortonRules
06-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Wait - I know - Bubba is on Sirius.&nbsp; Those two are interchangeable to me.&nbsp;

Recyclerz
06-23-2006, 07:17 PM
<p><font face="Arial" size="1">Well, I&rsquo;ve never heard Mancow on the radio and the few times I&rsquo;ve seen him on TV he came across as a dick.&nbsp; His rant here (if the quotes are fair) shows that first impressions are often correct.&nbsp; The initial hype on cable TV was that it would either completely replace or be crushed by broadcast TV.&nbsp; Turns out both extremes were wrong; cable just broadened the market and significantly ate up broadcast&rsquo;s growth potential and cartel profits.&nbsp; I suspect we&rsquo;ll have a similar symbiotic relationship in radio as we have in TV pretty soon; O&amp;A are just the leading edge of it.</font></p><font size="1">&nbsp;<br /></font><font size="1">I don&rsquo;t work in radio but I do understand a little about business models and I think the only thing that ruins satellite radio&rsquo;s future is a seamless, high quality&nbsp; wi-fi blanket over the major population centers so that people could listen to internet radio stations in their cars or wherever they&rsquo;re at with handheld devices.&nbsp; And I don&rsquo;t see that happening anytime soon.&nbsp; The Motley Fool has done a few good analyses on how XM and Sirius can start branching out their revenue streams and enhancing their services once they get the critical mass of subscribers they&rsquo;re racing for now.&nbsp;&nbsp; ( I&rsquo;m too lazy to go find the links now.)&nbsp; So I think satellite radio is here to stay and Mancow, like Tenbat is saying, is just crying sour grapes because he&rsquo;s just seen his future potential go from the next Howard Stern to the next Soupy Sales.<br /></font>&nbsp;<br />&nbsp;

PapaBear
06-23-2006, 07:38 PM
The guy says you can listen to Stern online for free. Yeah... if you break the law. And if everyone did that, there would be no Stern (or any other&nbsp;radio personality), so no free listening online. What an idiot. I've never hear Mancow's show, but if has a lot of this kind of logic, it must be a pretty bad show.

Don Stugots
06-23-2006, 10:24 PM
<strong>NortonRules</strong> wrote:<br /><p>Isn't Mancow on Sirius?&nbsp; Or is that some other baskstabbing douche?&nbsp; I always get them all confused.&nbsp; I'm not up on my radio hacks.&nbsp; </p><p>Anything besides AFRO is grabage.&nbsp; </p><p>you might be thinking of Cowhead. </p>

Grendel_Kahn
06-24-2006, 04:45 AM
I was thinking about this for a bit.&nbsp; I was wondering if there was
ever a situation like the O/A XM-FM deal.&nbsp; The closest thing to my
mind is QUEER EYE FOR THE STRAIGHT GUY.&nbsp; The show was a gigantic
hit on BRAVO, and NBC, struggling to find decent programming, hopped on
board.&nbsp; There was a very successful rebroadcast of the origingal
show once a week.&nbsp; Now TV is a different animal than radio, and
much more subjected to the whims of executives.&nbsp; BUt it is in the
same family, and not too bad a comparison.&nbsp; The combined sub rate
for both companies is ( to round up slighty) about 20 million.&nbsp;
Anytime 20 million people hop on board ANYTHING, the people with money
take notice.&nbsp; I think in the end that is why O/A wound up on
FM.&nbsp; I think it is only a matter of time before Viacom and XM
merge,&nbsp; It makes sense for both companies to go that way, and I
can't really see a downside to it.&nbsp; Yes, XM is bleeding money, but
not as badly as last year, or the year before that.&nbsp; In fact they
seem much closer to actually turning a profit than Sirius.&nbsp; The
next logical step, as far as I can see, is an integration in cars of
FM/AM/XM/HD.&nbsp; <br />

Don Stugots
06-24-2006, 06:01 AM
i think Mancow fogets all the shit he says and the two companies as soon as one offers him a contract.&nbsp; i doubt he is on regular radio because he wants to.&nbsp; he is either getting paid a shit load of cash to stay, or no one wants him.&nbsp; Since he is so good, why is it he never stay broadcasting in NYC?&nbsp; he was on for about a week and that was in 1997, i think.

Grendel_Kahn
06-24-2006, 07:55 AM
<p>Furthermore, Cowhead wasn't a backstabber.&nbsp; His move was
discussed and the boys&nbsp; ( O/A ) wished him well.&nbsp; He has a
family to take care of and it is widely known that XM moves
WAAAAAYYYYYY too slow.,&nbsp; </p><p>I always liked what I heard from
his show and he had great chemistry with O/A.&nbsp; I think, he would
have made a great addition to 202.&nbsp; But such is
things......................&nbsp;</p>

ConnieSwail
06-24-2006, 08:07 AM
That hack owns my hometown of Chicago.&nbsp; <br />

Johnny4
06-24-2006, 07:54 PM
<font size="4">I<font size="3"> heard his show once. It is terrible.
Noone laughs at his jokes, not even the people he is paying to laugh at
them. Stern, O and A, and R and Fez have been were off free radio for 6
months and still no one hired him. Chicago digs him and that is it.
Sirius would never hire him. Not as long as Stern is there.<br />
</font></font>

Death Metal Moe
06-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Mancow sucks the fat one.&nbsp;

NortonRules
06-24-2006, 10:47 PM
<p>Just to clarify - I didn't say Cowhead was a backstabber.&nbsp; Someone&nbsp;assumed I meant Cowhead.&nbsp; </p><p>I have no idea who Cowhead is.&nbsp; I was referring to Mancow and Bubba kissing O&amp;A's ass behind the scenes, then bashing them on the radio.&nbsp; Phonies.</p>