You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Do you miss WCW? [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Do you miss WCW?

SpicyMcHaggis
02-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Something's telling me that if WCW was never baught by Vince, TNA is what WCW would be now, except no six sided ring.ÿ I frankly was a fan of WCW in it's day when it was so worth to watch.ÿ I liked the competition and having WWE try to best WCW and vice versa.ÿ The real competition was there.ÿ The style was the same, but it was which talent roster you liked better.

Kevin
02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
I really miss it because it forced Vince to give a shit and, actually remotely try to put on a good product, out of necessity. Now he does not really give a shit. TNA is no threat to him, and unless they change shit, they never will be.

Kevin
02-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Sorry.....<br /><p>&nbsp;</p>

<span class=post_edited>This message was edited by Kevin on 2-14-07 @ 7:57 PM</span>

Bob Impact
02-14-2007, 03:56 PM
I miss ECW

lleeder
02-14-2007, 04:12 PM
<p><font size="3">I miss guys jumping from one to the other. That was exciting for me when guys would show up on a new show. Or fuck ups like when Rick Rude was in the NwO live but in Dx on tape. I loved the Monday Night Wars.</font></p>

cougarjake13
02-14-2007, 04:15 PM
never got to see it when it was on, but i do miss that it gave vince competition and made him give a shit

NortonRules
02-14-2007, 04:28 PM
I miss it.&nbsp;

burrben
02-14-2007, 04:28 PM
i watched it and i think that it was good competition. i think there needs to be competition. TNA will never be competition as long as jeff jarrett is close to&nbsp;the title

SpicyMcHaggis
02-14-2007, 05:35 PM
The only way TNA will be a competition is if they're on Monday nights at 9.

RingWraith
02-14-2007, 07:40 PM
<strong>SpicyMcHaggis</strong> wrote:<br />The only way TNA will be a competition is if they're on Monday nights at 9. <p>Agreed, and also try to put shows outside of that F'N studio!!!!&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm sooo sick and tired of seeing the same place every week.&nbsp; I understand that's your region, but I'm sure there are other parts of Florida or whatever that they can put on a show/taping.</p>

willisjackson
02-15-2007, 12:47 PM
<strong>SpicyMcHaggis</strong> wrote:<br />The only way TNA will be a competition is if they're on Monday nights at 9. <p>I'd like to see it go head to head with ECW or Smackdown first; going right after Raw would crush them</p>

Soupy_Dreck
02-15-2007, 01:06 PM
<strong>Bob Impact</strong> wrote:<br />I miss ECW <p>I miss the ORIGINAL ECW where fans bring in weapons, tables got shattered&nbsp;and you never knew who was going to interfere with a match&nbsp;</p>

Don Stugots
02-15-2007, 01:24 PM
there was nothing like the monday night wars.&nbsp; we will never see wrestling like that again.&nbsp; the only thing i didnt like was WcW was their stealing of EcW's talent.

cougarjake13
02-15-2007, 03:24 PM
<strong>burrben</strong> wrote:<br />i watched it and i think that it was good competition. i think there needs to be competition. TNA will never be competition as long as jeff jarrett is close to&nbsp;the title <p>kinda like trips the last few years</p><p>&nbsp;jarretts been out of the picture for months</p>

cougarjake13
02-15-2007, 03:27 PM
<strong>RingWraith</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>SpicyMcHaggis</strong> wrote:<br />The only way TNA will be a competition is if they're on Monday nights at 9. <p>Agreed, and also try to put shows outside of that F'N studio!!!!&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm sooo sick and tired of seeing the same place every week.&nbsp; I understand that's your region, but I'm sure there are other parts of Florida or whatever that they can put on a show/taping.</p><p>they been branching out and having ppvs and shows outside of o town, they've been to detriot, philly, nashville, i think they've gone or plan to go to europe, and some others i cant remember</p><p>as they continue to grow i'm sure they'll start touring as the wwe does</p>

ponelas park townie
02-15-2007, 11:43 PM
<strong>cougarjake13</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>RingWraith</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>SpicyMcHaggis</strong> wrote:<br />The only way TNA will be a competition is if they're on Monday nights at 9. <p>Agreed, and also try to put shows outside of that F'N studio!!!!&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm sooo sick and tired of seeing the same place every week.&nbsp; I understand that's your region, but I'm sure there are other parts of Florida or whatever that they can put on a show/taping.</p><p>they been branching out and having ppvs and shows outside of o town, they've been to detriot, philly, nashville, i think they've gone or plan to go to europe, and some others i cant remember</p><p>as they continue to grow i'm sure they'll start touring as the wwe does</p><p>TNA is too ugly sometimes. The set looks like the Empire Strikes Back. They need new designers.</p>

SpicyMcHaggis
02-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Yeah, way too much going on at once.ÿ It just looks like they're going &quot;Look at us! Look at us!ÿ We've got shiny stuff and high spots!&quot;

RingWraith
02-16-2007, 07:48 AM
<strong>cougarjake13</strong> wrote:<br /><strong><br /></strong><p>they been branching out and having ppvs and shows outside of o town, they've been to detriot, philly, nashville, i think they've gone or plan to go to europe, and some others i cant remember</p><p>as they continue to grow i'm sure they'll start touring as the wwe does</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>I've known that they have, but it just doesn't &quot;feel&quot; like that they are.&nbsp; Maybe it's because they use the same sets/entrance and all.</p><p>All I'm saying is, every time I tune in, it looks like the same damn studio, with the same stupid looking fans. (I know they do multiple tapings)</p><p>At least with ECW, you know it's the ECW Arena, The Elks Lodge, and another place I can't remember.&nbsp; (Ah, the memories!!!!)&nbsp;</p>

Earlshog
02-16-2007, 07:51 AM
<p>I really miss the 8 - 9 hour.... Those Wrath / Fit Finley battles were epic... </p>

RF Godfather
02-16-2007, 09:07 AM
I miss CATbo!!!

LongIslandRob
02-16-2007, 09:15 AM
<p>I totally miss WCW.&nbsp; That whole year when sting walked the rafters and would drop down on a cable kick some ass, then shoot back up was amazing.&nbsp; Every week, you thought he was going to finally speak, but he didn't...</p><p>&nbsp;That time also saw Hogan turn heel and the creation of the NWO.&nbsp; For that entire time (mid '96-mid '98) WCW was 10 times more entertaining than WWF.&nbsp; </p>

cougarjake13
02-16-2007, 04:08 PM
<strong>LongIslandRob</strong> wrote:<br /><p>I totally miss WCW.&nbsp; That whole year when sting walked the rafters and would drop down on a cable kick some ass, then shoot back up was amazing.&nbsp; Every week, you thought he was going to finally speak, but he didn't...</p><p>&nbsp;That time also saw Hogan turn heel and the creation of the NWO.&nbsp; For that entire time (mid '96-mid '98) WCW was 10 times more entertaining than WWF.&nbsp; </p><p>i just wish i coulda seen it the first time </p>

J.Clints
02-16-2007, 04:10 PM
<strong>cougarjake13</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>LongIslandRob</strong> wrote:<br /><p>I totally miss WCW.&nbsp; That whole year when sting walked the rafters and would drop down on a cable kick some ass, then shoot back up was amazing.&nbsp; Every week, you thought he was going to finally speak, but he didn't...</p><p>&nbsp;That time also saw Hogan turn heel and the creation of the NWO.&nbsp; For that entire time (mid '96-mid '98) WCW was 10 times more entertaining than WWF.&nbsp; </p><p>i just wish i coulda seen it the first time </p><p>I wish I had enjoyed it the first time.......</p>

MikeMan419
02-16-2007, 05:14 PM
I miss disco Inferno and and Harlem Heat and Conan and Rey Rey. I miss Rey beating on kevin nash and bam bam bigalow! REY FOR LIFE!

tnbt23
02-23-2007, 08:49 AM
<p>please forgive me Stu-GOTSfather for speaking outta line but i gotta disagree with you on the &quot;stealing talent&quot; comment. WCW was just offering to pay the ECW guys when they weren't getting paid by Paul E. Now I love Paul and all that he has contributed to the business, but nobody accused him of &quot;stealing talent&quot; when he raided Cornette's SMW and stole New Jack, Mustafa,&nbsp;Jericho, Lance Storm, Chris Candido, Tammy Sytch, and Balls Mahoney.. Paul likes to play the victim but he's done the same thing before...&nbsp;&nbsp; </p><p>&nbsp;much respect Stu-gotsfather</p>

Don Stugots
02-23-2007, 08:58 AM
<strong>tnbt23</strong> wrote:<br /><p>please forgive me Stu-GOTSfather for speaking outta line but i gotta disagree with you on the &quot;stealing talent&quot; comment. WCW was just offering to pay the ECW guys when they weren't getting paid by Paul E. Now I love Paul and all that he has contributed to the business, but nobody accused him of &quot;stealing talent&quot; when he raided Cornette's SMW and stole New Jack, Mustafa, Jericho, Lance Storm, Chris Candido, Tammy Sytch, and Balls Mahoney.. Paul likes to play the victim but he's done the same thing before... </p><p> much respect Stu-gotsfather</p><p>&nbsp;i hate to differ with you but at the time wasnt Tom/Todd Gorden a mole for WCW?&nbsp; i remember reading that at the time.&nbsp; maybe it was kayfab and i didnt know it. &nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;i never knew he took talent from SMW.&nbsp; on a smaller level like that i wouldnt mind it but when The biggest promotion (at the time) is taking all of the talent from the up and coming promotion it is dirty pool. &nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>you can disagree with me, i am not going to come a shot you.&nbsp;</p>

tbagnu
02-23-2007, 08:59 AM
i miss pluto!!!

tnbt23
02-23-2007, 09:06 AM
I wouldnt call Tod Gordon a &quot;mole&quot; per se. Once again, it was all about getting paid/not getting paid. Mike Awesome for example is painted as a traitor and all around scumbag for leaving ECW for WCW. But what we didnt know was that he was owed money by paul and wasnt getting it, so he left. Forget about leaving the &quot;right way' or whatever but if you owe me money and i know im not gonna see it anytime soon? I'm outta there. One really telling thing about Paul is that while his company was going to shits and the guys were struggling to get the final shows together, he was out in hollywood making that god-awful RollerJam movie with Shane McMahon and LL Cool J. Then, a few weeks later he was introduced on Raw..... way to go down with your ship.

Don Stugots
02-23-2007, 09:18 AM
leaving the &quot;right&quot; or the &quot;wrong&quot; way has nothing to do with the boss.&nbsp; it has to do with the guys in the locker room and the fans.&nbsp;

Tenbatsuzen
02-23-2007, 09:26 AM
<p>When it came to talent leaving, which was worse - WCW taking the characters and making them watered down versions of what made them successful, or WWE completely repackaging them?</p><p>Flash Funk, the original Mankind, few others come to mind.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>There was a Raven sketch in WCW that was dynamite though.&nbsp; I remember it was abotu Raven going home, and then grinning and mugging directly into the camera.&nbsp; Anyone remember that?</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

Fatts
02-23-2007, 10:22 AM
<p>i grew up watching wcw so it will always have a special place in my heart, but now that i look back at it wcw's biggest problem was the booking.... the matches were always solid even tho some of the undercard tallent wasnt that strong... most of my fav matches were in the US title card, when it came to booking they did and excelent job of running their mid card title.</p>

andywhat?
02-23-2007, 11:32 AM
<p>TNA is basically WCW with a lot of young bloods. But i gave up on all other wrestling except TNA. WWE turned ECW gay and WWE is slowly starting to get better. </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>But the answer is yes.&nbsp; Miss WCW very much. even though i was only in highschool when it was on. &nbsp;</p>

j9479
02-23-2007, 08:13 PM
I never knew how much I missed WCW until I started seeing the old Nitros and PPV's on WWE 24-7. I used to watch WCW/NWA back in the 80's on TBS, but forgot just how cool it was to see another big company doing a separate thing than Titan.ÿ<div><br /></div><div>What I really miss though is that WCW would just bring in lucha guys and japan guys and not feel the need to change their gimmick; just think if the WWE introduced the U.S. to Rey and Psychosis and the luchas, or was the first to debut Muta and Liger in the country... there would have either been a re-make or a silly gimmick atttached. At the very least, WCW brought in guys based on the reasons in which they hired them.ÿ</div><div><br /></div><div>Also, for the couple of people who missed old ECW shows; WOW, do they not even come close to holding up at all. Even when looking at ECW as an indy company, is looks real real bush league in production and what not in comparison to ROH, or even JAPW..</div><div><br /></div><div>P.S.: I know that my 1st post is in the wrestling folder, but please believe that I am a huge Ron and Fez fan; have been so from when they debuted with the &quot;dot-com&quot; shows in WNYW... I just signed up here a while ago and never really had a desire to post...</div>

cougarjake13
02-24-2007, 04:28 AM
<strong>j9479</strong> wrote:<br />I never knew how much I missed WCW until I started seeing the old Nitros and PPV's on WWE 24-7. I used to watch WCW/NWA back in the 80's on TBS, but forgot just how cool it was to see another big company doing a separate thing than Titan.&nbsp;*&gt;<br />*&gt;What I really miss though is that WCW would just bring in lucha guys and japan guys and not feel the need to change their gimmick; just think if the WWE introduced the U.S. to Rey and Psychosis and the luchas, or was the first to debut Muta and Liger in the country... there would have either been a re-make or a silly gimmick atttached. At the very least, WCW brought in guys based on the reasons in which they hired them.&nbsp; *&gt;<br />*&gt;Also, for the couple of people who missed old ECW shows; WOW, do they not even come close to holding up at all. Even when looking at ECW as an indy company, is looks real real bush league in production and what not in comparison to ROH, or even JAPW.. *&gt;<br />*&gt;P.S.: I know that my 1st post is in the wrestling folder, but please believe that I am a huge Ron and Fez fan; have been so from when they debuted with the &quot;dot-com&quot; shows in WNYW... I just signed up here a while ago and never really had a desire to post... <p>welcome aboard</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

oh_kee_pa
02-24-2007, 04:41 AM
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="-khtml-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -khtml-border-vertical-spacing: 1px">What I really miss though is that WCW would just bring in lucha guys and japan guys and not feel the need to change their gimmick; just think if the WWE introduced the U.S. to Rey and Psychosis and the luchas, or was the first to debut Muta and Liger in the country... there would have either been a re-make or a silly gimmick atttached. At the very least, WCW brought in guys based on the reasons in which they hired them.ÿ</span><span class="Apple-style-span" style="-khtml-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -khtml-border-vertical-spacing: 1px">*&gt;</span><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="-khtml-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -khtml-border-vertical-spacing: 1px"><br /></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="-khtml-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -khtml-border-vertical-spacing: 1px"><br /></span></div><div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="-khtml-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -khtml-border-vertical-spacing: 1px">Well, unfortunatly you're wrong about the luchadores.... ECW did it first and then WCW took it from them.... I can only think of one character that was an origional WCW that got over on the mic. and that of course is DDP..... WCW was not good at developing character in the later years and they might as well be done w/</span></div>

docgoblin
02-24-2007, 04:58 AM
One of the best events i can remember was one of the outdoor events when One of the guys from Public Enemy went through six tables. In the mid to late 90's, when I was a bartender, we would watch Nitro over RAW almost every Monday. They had a nice product for a little while with wrestlers like Sting, DDP, The Stiener Bros., Goldberg, Savage, etc... I also felt better about my young son watching WCW over WWF at the time since McMahon was really going for the T&amp;A during that period. WCW didn't try for that gimmick until the end was near and they started grasping at straws. WCW did also force Vince to care about the product he was putting out. After WCW and ECW left the WWE got very very dull.

The_Showstopper
03-01-2007, 08:22 PM
<p>WCW was one of the main reasons i got into wrestling (namely the Sting vs NWO angle). That angle was so greatly executed. One of the best things bischoff did was string it out and not blow his wad early. He made us wait and built the anticipation up,&nbsp;And it worked excelently.&nbsp;</p><p>On a side note im still astounded to this day how they had the hottest angle at the time, and arguably in the companys history and they botched the big payoff with the messed up fast count crap that confused so many fans when it happened and when bret came out to rectify it. That was such a clusterF</p>