You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Best Ever Heel Turns [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Best Ever Heel Turns

tnbt23
03-22-2007, 12:03 PM
<p>i saw this thread on another another board and thought it was pretty interesting. However, most of the replies were locked in the past 10 years of WWE and WCW. i just KNOW that the members of THIS board have longer memories than that so im expecting big things... The only rule is that it has to be before 1997.. PLEASE.. I beg of you...</p><p>&nbsp;My pick is one that's forgotten by alot of people, it was when Lex Luger&nbsp;turned on Ricky Steamboat at Clash of Champions 7. Steamboat had just gotten the snot beaten out of him by Terry Funk to the point that Funk was DQ'd. After which, he proceeds to beat the holy hell outta Steamboat with a chair until Luger comes down for the save. Luger grabs the mic and cuts a killer promo about being tired of being overlooked as the #1 contender for the World Title. Meanwhile, Steamboat is clutching, crawling at the feet of Luger trying to stand up... Finally, Luger says:&nbsp;<strong>&quot;Come on Ricky, lets go home..&quot;</strong>&nbsp;&nbsp;at this point, the crowd cheers as Luger helps Steamboat to his feet and then floors him with a thunderous&nbsp;clothesline... LOL.. nobody plays a better face-in-peril, than Ricky Steamboat.. 'cept for maybe Ricky Morton..</p>

Kevin
03-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Its very easy... Hogan, NWO heel turn.. Nobody saw it comin and it shocked the hell out of everybody. No hints, nothing, it just happend... The best thing done in wrestling history, period.

<span class=post_edited>This message was edited by Kevin on 3-22-07 @ 4:25 PM</span>

Don Stugots
03-22-2007, 12:35 PM
<p>those two are both great ones.&nbsp; </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>i dont know which one was the best but we can do a thread on the worst.&nbsp; i have some ringers. &nbsp;&nbsp;</p>

EliSnow
03-22-2007, 12:38 PM
<p><font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif" size="3">1991.&nbsp; The Barbershop.&nbsp; Shawn Michaels.&nbsp;Marty Janetty. Superkick. Plate glass window.</font></p>

Don Stugots
03-22-2007, 12:43 PM
all that I can think of Andre the Giant and Saphire.&nbsp;

Kevin
03-22-2007, 12:43 PM
<strong>EliSnow</strong> wrote:<br /><p><font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif" size="3">1991.&nbsp; The Barbershop.&nbsp; Shawn Michaels.&nbsp;Marty Janetty. Superkick. Plate glass window.</font></p><p>I have that as my #2... But given the level of Face that Hogan was, It has to be Hogan... It was basically like God turning Heel and going with Satan.. I know it sounds ridiculous, but,&nbsp; wrestling wise, thats the best way i can put it. Hogan was good guy personified.</p>

<span class=post_edited>This message was edited by Kevin on 3-22-07 @ 4:45 PM</span>

Kevin
03-22-2007, 12:44 PM
<strong>Don Stugots</strong> wrote:<br />all that I can think of Andre the Giant and Saphire.&nbsp; <p>Wasn't that Diabiase??</p>

EliSnow
03-22-2007, 12:46 PM
<strong>Kevin</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>EliSnow</strong> wrote:<br /><p><font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif" size="3">1991.&nbsp; The Barbershop.&nbsp; Shawn Michaels.&nbsp;Marty Janetty. Superkick. Plate glass window.</font></p><p>I have that as my #2... But given the level of Face that Hogan was, It has to be Hogan... It was basically like God turning Heel and going with Satan.. I know it sounds ridiculous, but, in wrestling wise, thats the best way i can put it. Hogan was good guy personified.</p><p><font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif" size="3">I agree.&nbsp; Hogan Turn #1.&nbsp; </font></p>

K.C.
03-22-2007, 01:08 PM
<p>Bret Hart at WrestleMania 13 vs. Austin. </p><p>That time in WWE where you had Austin, Heel Bret, and HBK somewhere in the middle was the best main event scene in the company's history. </p>

Don Stugots
03-22-2007, 01:29 PM
<strong>Kevin</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>Don Stugots</strong> wrote:<br />all that I can think of Andre the Giant and Saphire. <p>Wasn't that Diabiase??</p><p>&nbsp;not together ass.&nbsp; </p><p>worse: Ron Garvin, noone gave a shit about him either way.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Oh yeah, good one: Barry Windham&nbsp;</p>

tnbt23
03-22-2007, 02:17 PM
<strong>Don Stugots</strong> wrote:<br />Oh yeah, good one: Barry Windham <p>&nbsp;</p><p>The time when he turned on Luger in the tag match against Arn and Tully or when he turned on Dustin?&nbsp;</p>

Don Stugots
03-22-2007, 02:26 PM
<strong>tnbt23</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>Don Stugots</strong> wrote:<br />Oh yeah, good one: Barry Windham <p>&nbsp;</p><p>The time when he turned on Luger in the tag match against Arn and Tully or when he turned on Dustin? </p><p>&nbsp;Luger and in turn Dusty.&nbsp;&nbsp; when did he turn on Dustin?&nbsp; Didnt Kendal turn on Dustin? &nbsp; </p>

cougarjake13
03-22-2007, 02:36 PM
def got to be the hogan nwo turn

Crippler
03-22-2007, 02:44 PM
<p>Hogan &amp; the nWo has to be #1...although HBK in the Barber Shop was the first thing that came to my mind.&nbsp; </p><p>The next one that comes to mind is Andre &amp; Heenan in Piper's Pit.&nbsp; Heenan cuts a promo on Hogan about how he never gave his good friend Andre a title shot.&nbsp; Andre rips Hogans shirt off his chest, accidentally (I think) breaking his gold chain &amp; cutting him on the chest with his own Crucifix.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p>The part that makes it most memorable for me is the awful acting by Hogan, how hurt he was trying to look, all the while Piper looks bored out of his mind, which made me laugh.&nbsp; And just before the scene fades to black, Roddy swipes the trickle of blood off&nbsp;Hogan's chest &amp; says (as unimnterested as possible), &quot;Hey, you're bleeding, champ.&quot;</p>

blakjeezis
03-22-2007, 03:49 PM
The Hogan nWo turn has to be number one. Has to be. Everything else is vying for second. HBK and Jannetty is a good one for that. What about Savage turning on Hogan and Elizabeth at Saturday Night's Main Event leading to <strong>THE MEGA POWERS EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!</strong>

Bossanova
03-22-2007, 03:58 PM
<strong>blakjeezis</strong> wrote:&nbsp; The Hogan nWo turn has to be number one. Has to be. Everything else is vying for second. HBK and Jannetty is a good one for that. What about Savage turning on Hogan and Elizabeth at Saturday Night's Main Event leading to <strong>THE MEGA POWERS EXPLODE!!!!!!!!!</strong> <p><br />I thought of that the second I saw this thread.</p>

mdr55
03-22-2007, 04:03 PM
<p>Nothing can top Hogan as number 1.&nbsp;</p><p>But I enjoyed it when Paul &quot;Mr. Wonderful&quot; Orndorff clotheslined Hulk after raising their hands in victory and put Hogan in a piledriver.&nbsp;</p><p>Hogan's friends seem to always turn on him. I wonder why?&nbsp;</p>

Bossanova
03-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Another one that comes to mind is when Sgt. Slaughter turned on an entire country.&nbsp; He played a dick pretty well

Don Stugots
03-22-2007, 04:13 PM
The Rock joining The Nation.&nbsp; if it wasnt for that, he never would have become THE ROCK.

oh_kee_pa
03-22-2007, 04:18 PM
<strong>Don Stugots</strong> wrote:<br />The Rock joining The Nation.ÿ if it wasnt for that, he never would have become THE ROCK.<p>&nbsp;what made The Rock the rock was when he began to turn on the nation... or rather they got sick of him... my favrotie was when he gave all the memebers of the nation a gift.... Dlo, mark henry and someone else got rolex's.... farooq got a big picture of the rock..... hilarious</p>

Bob Impact
03-22-2007, 04:29 PM
1995, ECW, Foley's Anti Hardcore Turn.&nbsp; Fucking Brilliant.

ralphbxny
03-22-2007, 04:52 PM
<p>My favorite was Andre and Heenan on Piper's pit. F....Hogan!!!</p>

K.C.
03-22-2007, 05:26 PM
<p>I will say I dug the Megapowers in a big way.</p><p>I was a big Savage fan in that fight. He carried that douchebag Hogan to one of the best WrestleMania Main Events ever. </p><p>He should have gone over...instead, Hogan squashed Randy only to put over the UL-TI-MATE~!~!!!!!!!!! Warrior the next year. <br /><br />Horrendous. </p>

cougarjake13
03-22-2007, 05:28 PM
<strong>mdr55</strong> wrote:<br /><p>Nothing can top Hogan as number 1.&nbsp;</p><p>But I enjoyed it when Paul &quot;Mr. Wonderful&quot; Orndorff clotheslined Hulk after raising their hands in victory and put Hogan in a piledriver.&nbsp;</p><p>Hogan's friends seem to always turn on him. I wonder why?&nbsp;</p><p>b/c he was the biggest face for over 15 years </p>

Tazz
03-22-2007, 05:31 PM
&nbsp;<strong>Don Stugots</strong> wrote:<br />The Rock joining The Nation. if it wasnt for that, he never would have become THE ROCK.<p>&nbsp;Staying on the Rock, I always loved his turn at Survivor Series '98. He went in a quasi-face, having left the Nation and starting to fued with Vince. Then he left the Corporate Champion and no one saw it coming.&nbsp; </p>

Tenbatsuzen
03-22-2007, 05:42 PM
<strong>Tazz</strong> wrote:<br /> <strong>Don Stugots</strong> wrote:<br />The Rock joining The Nation. if it wasnt for that, he never would have become THE ROCK.<p> Staying on the Rock, I always loved his turn at Survivor Series '98. He went in a quasi-face, having left the Nation and starting to fued with Vince. Then he left the Corporate Champion and no one saw it coming. </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Staying with Rock and the Hogan, who can forget the really weird one-night only double turn at WM18 where Hogan came in as the heel and left as the face, and the Rock was the heel for the majority of the match?</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Was WM18 in Toronto?&nbsp; I forget.</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

Dash77
03-22-2007, 05:44 PM
<strong><font size="2">I agree with the Hogan turn as the best.. And what about when Austin turned &amp; joined Vince..</font></strong>

Bossanova
03-22-2007, 05:47 PM
I think Austin turning heel could have been better.&nbsp; The whole WCW gimmick died quickley and he never really was viscious.&nbsp; A good heel turn makes people hate him.&nbsp; Austin actually got people to love his character with the whole WHAT/ thing.&nbsp; He became the &quot;face&quot; heel

cougarjake13
03-22-2007, 06:27 PM
<strong>Tenbatsuzen</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>Tazz</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>Don Stugots</strong> wrote:<br />The Rock joining The Nation. if it wasnt for that, he never would have become THE ROCK. <p>Staying on the Rock, I always loved his turn at Survivor Series '98. He went in a quasi-face, having left the Nation and starting to fued with Vince. Then he left the Corporate Champion and no one saw it coming. </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Staying with Rock and the Hogan, who can forget the really weird one-night only double turn at WM18 where Hogan came in as the heel and left as the face, and the Rock was the heel for the majority of the match?</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Was WM18 in Toronto?&nbsp; I forget.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>yeh it was in toronto</p>

Kevin
03-22-2007, 06:31 PM
<strong>Bossanova</strong> wrote:<br />I think Austin turning heel could have been better.&nbsp; The whole WCW gimmick died quickley and he never really was viscious.&nbsp; A good heel turn makes people hate him.&nbsp; Austin actually got people to love his character with the whole WHAT/ thing.&nbsp; He became the &quot;face&quot; heel <p>I see your point, boss, but for shear shock factor, its Hogan... And not even close.</p>

foodcourtdruide
03-22-2007, 06:40 PM
<strong>Tazz</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>Don Stugots</strong> wrote:<br />The Rock joining The Nation. if it wasnt for that, he never would have become THE ROCK. <p>&nbsp;Staying on the Rock, I always loved his turn at Survivor Series '98. He went in a quasi-face, having left the Nation and starting to fued with Vince. Then he left the Corporate Champion and no one saw it coming.&nbsp; </p><p>This was awesome! If I had to rate my favorite heel turns, this would be #2, right behind Shawn Michaels giving Janetty sweet chin music through the barber shop window. </p><p>Either way, I totally miss The Rock. He still cuts the best promos in the business (maybe behind Ric Flair).</p>

cougarjake13
03-22-2007, 06:45 PM
<strong>foodcourtdruide</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>Tazz</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>Don Stugots</strong> wrote:<br />The Rock joining The Nation. if it wasnt for that, he never would have become THE ROCK. <p>&nbsp;Staying on the Rock, I always loved his turn at Survivor Series '98. He went in a quasi-face, having left the Nation and starting to fued with Vince. Then he left the Corporate Champion and no one saw it coming.&nbsp; </p><p>This was awesome! If I had to rate my favorite heel turns, this would be #2, right behind Shawn Michaels giving Janetty sweet chin music through the barber shop window. </p><p>Either way, I totally miss The Rock. He still cuts the best promos in the business (maybe behind Ric Flair).</p><p>lots of people have brought up the shawn superkick to jannetty</p><p>but was it really that big of a deal ?? i wasnt hardcore watching back then so i didnt see it at the time but was it really a shocker out of nowhere</p><p>i mean hogan was a huge face for like 10-15 years, i dont think anyone ever thought that hogan would ever turn heel and possibly destroy his money making abilities and his forays into hollywood</p>

Tazz
03-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Not to be a picky Pete, but the whole Michaels turn is a pet peave of mine. He didn't superkick him through the window. It was a superkick, then he picked him up and then threw him through the window. They showed it on Raw a few weeks ago.

<span class=post_edited>This message was edited by Tazz on 3-22-07 @ 10:46 PM</span>

Bossanova
03-22-2007, 06:48 PM
I know I ma catch some shit, but the Hogan thing isn't really biting me.&nbsp; I think if he were to go heel in the WWF it might have been insane.&nbsp; The fact is, he left a company and joined a group that left the same company.&nbsp; I think it was big, but might have had a bigger impact had he been a heel in the company that made him.&nbsp;

cougarjake13
03-23-2007, 03:00 AM
<strong>Bossanova</strong> wrote:<br />I know I ma catch some shit, but the Hogan thing isn't really biting me.&nbsp; I think if he were to go heel in the WWF it might have been insane.&nbsp; The fact is, he left a company and joined a group that left the same company.&nbsp; I think it was big, but might have had a bigger impact had he been a heel in the company that made him.&nbsp; <p>i understand that but did anyone think, that hogan would be anything other than a face ???</p><p>im willing to bet that most people would have said no, never </p>

foodcourtdruide
03-23-2007, 07:35 AM
<strong>Tazz</strong> wrote:<br />Not to be a picky Pete, but the whole Michaels turn is a pet peave of mine. He didn't superkick him through the window. It was a superkick, then he picked him up and then threw him through the window. They showed it on Raw a few weeks ago. <span class="post_edited">This message was edited by Tazz on 3-22-07 @ 10:46 PM</span> <p>You are 100% correct, &quot;superkick through the barbershop window&quot; just sounds cooler.</p>

foodcourtdruide
03-23-2007, 07:36 AM
<strong>cougarjake13</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>foodcourtdruide</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>Tazz</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>Don Stugots</strong> wrote:<br />The Rock joining The Nation. if it wasnt for that, he never would have become THE ROCK. <p>&nbsp;Staying on the Rock, I always loved his turn at Survivor Series '98. He went in a quasi-face, having left the Nation and starting to fued with Vince. Then he left the Corporate Champion and no one saw it coming.&nbsp; </p><p>This was awesome! If I had to rate my favorite heel turns, this would be #2, right behind Shawn Michaels giving Janetty sweet chin music through the barber shop window. </p><p>Either way, I totally miss The Rock. He still cuts the best promos in the business (maybe behind Ric Flair).</p><p>lots of people have brought up the shawn superkick to jannetty</p><p>but was it really that big of a deal ?? i wasnt hardcore watching back then so i didnt see it at the time but was it really a shocker out of nowhere</p><p>i mean hogan was a huge face for like 10-15 years, i dont think anyone ever thought that hogan would ever turn heel and possibly destroy his money making abilities and his forays into hollywood</p><p>I think they just built it up really well and it was executed perfectly. </p>

sailor
03-23-2007, 07:40 AM
<font size="2">ronnie b at big ass bash IV. </font>

El Mudo
03-23-2007, 07:53 AM
<strong>Bob Impact</strong> wrote:<br />1995, ECW, Foley's Anti Hardcore Turn. Fucking Brilliant.&nbsp;&nbsp;That was a great one...I loved &quot;Corporate Dude Love&quot; too&nbsp;<p>&nbsp;</p>

ralphbxny
03-23-2007, 07:55 AM
<p>Fez Paul from post whores.net!!</p><p>It still hurts knowing he's not ours....no homo!!</p>

epo
03-23-2007, 09:25 AM
<strong>cougarjake13</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>Bossanova</strong> wrote:<br />I know I ma catch some shit, but the Hogan thing isn't really biting me.&nbsp; I think if he were to go heel in the WWF it might have been insane.&nbsp; The fact is, he left a company and joined a group that left the same company.&nbsp; I think it was big, but might have had a bigger impact had he been a heel in the company that made him.&nbsp; <p>i understand that but did anyone think, that hogan would be anything other than a face ???</p><p>im willing to bet that most people would have said no, never </p><p>That is the shocking part of it.&nbsp; Almost nobody was old enough to remember when Hogan was a heel in the late 70's/early 80's.</p>

EliSnow
03-23-2007, 09:29 AM
<p><font face="arial,helvetica,sans-serif" size="3">Did the Road Warriors ever turn heel on Paul Ellering in the WCW?&nbsp; I know Ellering turned on them in the WWF, but I seem to recall the Warriors destroying Ellering in a WCW ring at one point.</font></p><p><font face="Arial" size="3">How about those type of heel turns - where the team/wrestler suddenly turns on the manager?&nbsp; </font></p>

epo
03-23-2007, 09:33 AM
<p>1994 Bash at the Beach.&nbsp; </p><p>Background:&nbsp; Dustin Rhodes was a babyface in WCW and was on a streak of having his partners/friends turning on him.&nbsp; So needing a tag team partner he goes to Arn Anderson and asks him as a man he respects to help him out.&nbsp; Arn accepts due to Dustin's respect for him.</p><p>Bash at the Beach arrives, Arn also turns on Dustin setting up a decent fued.&nbsp; </p><p>{Not the great turn ever, but a great example of&nbsp;nuance that Vince clearly doesn't get anymore.}</p>

<span class=post_edited>This message was edited by epo on 3-23-07 @ 1:36 PM</span>

tnbt23
03-23-2007, 11:18 AM
<strong>EliSnow</strong> wrote:<br /><p><font face="Arial" size="3">How about those type of heel turns - where the team/wrestler suddenly turns on the manager?&nbsp; </font></p><p>Yeah, the whole Demolition/Powers of Pain debacle at Surivor Series back in 88 i think. I cant think of any team/wrestler heel turns that turned the manager face by defacto... Although the Dynamic Dudes/Jim Cornette/Midnight Express feud also comes to mind but the Dynamic Dudes were just hated cuz they sucked, they werent actually heels...</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

sailor
03-23-2007, 11:30 AM
<strong>epo</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>cougarjake13</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>Bossanova</strong> wrote:<br />I know I ma catch some shit, but the Hogan thing isn't really biting me. I think if he were to go heel in the WWF it might have been insane. The fact is, he left a company and joined a group that left the same company. I think it was big, but might have had a bigger impact had he been a heel in the company that made him. <p>i understand that but did anyone think, that hogan would be anything other than a face ???</p><p>im willing to bet that most people would have said no, never </p><p>That is the shocking part of it. Almost nobody was old enough to remember when Hogan was a heel in the late 70's/early 80's.</p><p>&nbsp;<font size="2">i remember bob backlund bringing hogan out to defend his back.&nbsp; all the older kids went nuts, but it meant nothing to me.&nbsp; that was also the first time i'd ever watched wrestling. </font></p>

Soupy_Dreck
03-23-2007, 11:44 AM
How about when Tugboat turned heel, became Typhoon and Teamed with Earthquake to become &quot;the Natural Disasters&quot;?

Tazz
03-23-2007, 11:51 AM
<strong>Soupy_Dreck</strong> wrote:<br />How about when Tugboat turned heel, became Typhoon and Teamed with Earthquake to become &quot;the Natural Disasters&quot;?<p>&nbsp;Did turning on the Bushwackers really make one a heel?</p>

cougarjake13
03-23-2007, 01:56 PM
<strong>sailor</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>epo</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>cougarjake13</strong> wrote:<br /><strong>Bossanova</strong> wrote:<br />I know I ma catch some shit, but the Hogan thing isn't really biting me. I think if he were to go heel in the WWF it might have been insane. The fact is, he left a company and joined a group that left the same company. I think it was big, but might have had a bigger impact had he been a heel in the company that made him. <p>i understand that but did anyone think, that hogan would be anything other than a face ???</p><p>im willing to bet that most people would have said no, never </p><p>That is the shocking part of it. Almost nobody was old enough to remember when Hogan was a heel in the late 70's/early 80's.</p><p>&nbsp;<font size="2">i remember bob backlund bringing hogan out to defend his back.&nbsp; all the older kids went nuts, but it meant nothing to me.&nbsp; that was also the first time i'd ever watched wrestling. </font></p><p>see i wasnt old enough then and you never hear about that time either</p><p>even when they show old clips and talk about the start of hulkamania they never say much about the time before hulkamania</p>

Don Stugots
03-25-2007, 11:53 AM
<p>&nbsp;</p>

what is odd about that is that everyone was cheering for Cornette when he hit Shane (i think) with the racket. The Express could have went on and stayed phaces in the whole thing but didnt. I hate the Dynamic Dudes. they would come to the ring with skate boards and wearing paiters caps. asshole gimmick. :furious:

epo
03-25-2007, 02:26 PM
I thought of a couple of others:

Wahoo McDaniel turns heel on Flair with his new friend Tully Blanchard.
Baby Doll turns heel and joins with Tully & Flair.
Cactus Jack turns on Tommy Dreamer.
And of course Owen turns on Bret.

SPeeDy_Freak
03-26-2007, 10:54 AM
My top three:

I would agree that Hogan's turn was the most surprising.

The Austin turn at WM17 could have been the biggest... was still huge and should have been handled better. I never thought they would have had Austin join Vince. You could see the way that Austin kept saying "I have to beat you Rock". If they did this right it would have been the biggest heel turn ever. Because it was not pulled off well enough it falls to #2 for me.

His desperation brought long-time enemies together. It was just so hard to accept because of their history together.

HBK turning on Janetty was a big move and was surprising. It also elevated Michaels to an entirely new level.