You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Your Thoughts About Diners [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts About Diners

Fat_Sunny
05-05-2007, 05:35 PM
New Jersey Is The Home Of The Diner. Fat Eats At Least One Meal A Week At A Diner (When Not Dieting).

Fat Thinks The Quality Of Diner Food Has Gone Way Down In The Last 10 Years. He Used To Eat At A Small One In Hackensack That Had Fantastic Ground Sirloin With Sauteed Onions, Plus Out-Of-This-World Mashed Potatoes, Plus They Made Their Own Cheesecakes And Other Desserts.

He Ate There This Week For The First Time In A Few Years And The Mashed Potatoes Were Now INSTANT. Yech!! None Of The Desserts Were 'Made On The Premises' Like They Used To Be, And It All Seemed Just Like So Much 'Standardized' Food.

Are You In Diner Country? Can You Recommend A Diner Where The Food Is Fresh, HomeMade, And Delicious?

SatCam
05-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Are You In Diner Country? Can You Recommend A Diner Where The Food Is Fresh, HomeMade, And Delicious?

no and no

Alice S. Fuzzybutt
05-05-2007, 05:45 PM
The Malibu Diner in Hoboken is pretty good. They have good fries.

I've actually eaten at the diner right outside of the Holland Tunnel (after the first stop light, on the right). It always scared me, but it's actually pretty good.

And diner coffee is usually the best coffee around.

mdr55
05-05-2007, 05:47 PM
I've actually eaten at the diner right outside of the Holland Tunnel (after the first stop light, on the right). It always scared me, but it's actually pretty good.

When Mdr55 Was A Little Tyke, He Remembers That His Dad Would Take Him To That Diner For Some Cereal. Ahhhh Good Times He Remembers About That Place.

BoondockSaint
05-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I hear the Trellis Diner on Rossevelt Island is a nice place to get a meal 5 days a week.

reillyluck
05-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Reillyluck loves the Coach House in North Bergen, The Point in Fairwiew and The Four Star Diner in Union City. Diners are great.

Sorry to hear about the instant potatoes, those things suck ass!!!!!!

Fat_Sunny
05-05-2007, 06:01 PM
Reillyluck loves the Coach House in North Bergen, The Point in Fairwiew and The Four Star Diner in Union City. Diners are great.

Sorry to hear about the instant potatoes, those things suck ass!!!!!!

They Were AWFUL.. When The Waitress Asked Fat "How Is Everything" He Said "The Mashed Potatoes Are Terrible...They Taste Like Cream Of Wheat" (They Did).

Thanks For The Other Recommendations! Is "The Point" The One On Route 4 Near The Exit For 17?

Judge Smails
05-05-2007, 06:04 PM
We go to The Seville Diner on Rt. 18 in East Brunswick about once a month. It's OK, but not great. I agree with you that it seems like the quality of Diner food has gone down. I thought it might be that I'd just developed different, or more mature, tastes but I can't remember the last time that I had a really "outstanding" Diner experience.

Anyway, as a side story: we were at The Seville about two weeks ago and it seemed oddly uncrowded. Everyone working there seemed to be in a funk and there was just a strange vibe all around. Well, it turns out that the owner had been shot to death in the parking lot the day before. He was scheduled to go on trial for racketeering the following week. He was apparently involved in a gambling ring run by the Genovese/Bonano crime families.

Oddly enough, I actually enjoyed that meal on some perverse level. What better authentic NJ experience than to be eating at a Diner and vicariously connecting yourself to a gangland slaying?

Fat_Sunny
05-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Oddly enough, I actually enjoyed that meal on some perverse level. What better authentic NJ experience than to be eating at a Diner and vicariously connecting yourself to a gangland slaying?

That IS A Quintessential New Jersey Experience!

reillyluck
05-05-2007, 06:08 PM
They Were AWFUL.. When The Waitress Asked Fat "How Is Everything" He Said "The Mashed Potatoes Are Terrible...They Taste Like Cream Of Wheat" (They Did).

Thanks For The Other Recommendations! Is "The Point" The One On Route 4 Near The Exit For 17?

No. This one is on Bergen Blvd In fairview. The Place is great. It has old NJ memorablia like stuff from Palisade Park Amusement. a ceiling train. and the service is awesome. They have great food at reasonable prices. This one is definitely one of my phavorites!

hedges
05-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Fat, how could any diner switch to make instant mashed potatos, that's terrible. Out here in the Southwest we have some diners, Chinese-American diners, and truck-stops. One diner I like to go to cooks most everything from scratch. For breakfast I get the chicken-fried steak with white gravy. No frozen shit. One plate for the steak. One plate for the eggs and potatos and toast, or biscuits and gravy. What else do you need? My only complaint is that you can't smoke there anymore, and that it isn't 24 hours open anymore. I used to go to the Greek diners in Michigan in the 80s when you could get a hot breakfast for 99 cents.

Fat_Sunny
05-05-2007, 06:13 PM
No. This one is on Bergen Blvd In fairview. The Place is great. It has old NJ memorablia like stuff from Palisade Park Amusement. a ceiling train. and the service is awesome. They have great food at reasonable prices. This one is definitely one of my phavorites!

Ooooh, Fat Was Thinking Fairview Avenue Exit Off Route 4. That One May Be Called The Forum. Fat Forgot About The Town Called Fairview. He Goes To N. Bergen Once In A While, And Will Definitely Try Out One Of Reilly's Recommendations. Thanks!

mdr55
05-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Reillyluck loves the Coach House in North Bergen

Have we met???

IHOP in Union City.

Fat_Sunny
05-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Fat, how could any diner switch to make instant mashed potatos, that's terrible. Out here in the Southwest we have some diners, Chinese-American diners, and truck-stops.

Breakfast Is Still The One Meal They Can Always Get Right. Well, Come To Think Of It, Fat Ordered Pancakes Recently At A Local Diner, And They Delivered The Stack With A Pat Of MARGARINE On The Top. That Was Totally Unacceptable. Pancakes Can Only Have Butter. Fat Had The Waitress Remove The Top Pancake That Had The Margarine, And Then Bring Him Some Real Butter. Maybe Fat's Just Too Picky. No, Quality Has Slipped.

Hedges, Do Southwestern Chinese Diners Have That Classic Diner Look?:

http://www.aidan.co.uk/lg/UsNjWashDinrNt5420.jpg

Hottub
05-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Hot_Tub thinks F_S may be thinking of the Fairmount Diner in Hackensack. John sold the place last year. It is now under new ownership. Totally rebuilt, and will be opening next month as "Fairmount Eats"
A very gay, trendy name. Another classic diner bites the dust!

hedges
05-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Fat, the Chinese-American diners out here have the Route 66 look. The old buildings with the age-old neon, and the lettering on the sign showing the specials. The menus are usually Chinese fare on the left side and American on the right.

Fat_Sunny
05-05-2007, 06:52 PM
Hot_Tub thinks F_S may be thinking of the Fairmount Diner in Hackensack. John sold the place last year. It is now under new ownership. Totally rebuilt, and will be opening next month as "Fairmount Eats"
A very gay, trendy name. Another classic diner bites the dust!

Yeah, FAIRMOUNT Is The Right Name.

Does Hottub Remember The Mexican Place Called Fiesta Hut That Was Just Down The Road From There? It's Gone Now, But It Used To Be Fat's Favorite Mexican Place This Side Of Guadalahara!

Hottub
05-05-2007, 06:56 PM
When did Fat live, or frequent Bergen County?

Fiesta Hut is ringing a bell, but I need 1 more clue. Can I have a lifeline?

Fat_Sunny
05-05-2007, 07:00 PM
When did Fat live, or frequent Bergen County?

Fiesta Hut is ringing a bell, but I need 1 more clue. Can I have a lifeline?

F_S Lived In Englewood From June 1985 to September 1993, And Then Moved Out To The Lovely Farm Country Of Western NJ!

Hottub
05-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Holy Crap! Hottub lives in Bergenfield now. Which borders on Englewood.
Small world, no?

King Hippos Bandaid
05-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Im in Walking Distance to the Best Diner in Staten Island , the Woodrow Diner

I do work in East brunwick, where there are 5 Diners in a small vicinity , Omega being the Best.

:king:

Fat_Sunny
05-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Holy Crap! Hottub lives in Bergenfield now. Which borders on Englewood.
Small world, no?

Yes! Fat Really Liked Both Those Towns, But Just Felt The Need For A Little More Land And Fewer People. Englewood Literally Had A Right And A Wrong Side Of The Tracks. Up The Hill Were Million Dollar Mansions, Down The Hill Was Very Poor. And The Train Tracks Divided The Two Halves, With Virtually No Middle-Class In Between. F_S Lived In A Rented Carriage House On The Hill For $700 A Month; He Was Poor, But Lived With The Millionaires!

furie
05-05-2007, 07:10 PM
if you're out on Long Island, try Sweet Mama's in Northport.
Great food and nice atmosphere.

Marc with a c
05-05-2007, 09:37 PM
taylor ham is just fried bologna

sailor
05-05-2007, 10:20 PM
i enjoy the riverdale diner (not actually in riverdale). i have friends from jersey [weehawken] (i swear i do!!) who drive to the bronx to go there. they say the diners near them suck.

mdr55
05-05-2007, 11:07 PM
VIP in Journal Square and Colonette Diner on 440 in Jersey City.

JPMNICK
05-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Mark Twain diner in union NJ, still make their own cheesecake and have great food.

a diner saved my ass many times in college. it was always agood place to go late night and sober up before driving home. it was also a great place to go and let your friends puke, so that they did not puke in your house. in my heavy partying days, i would be at a diner at least 2 nights per week. It wierded me out when i would go visit friends at college and they did not have diners. i had no idea until i was like 18 that diners were really a NJ thing.

cougarjake13
05-06-2007, 04:44 AM
[QUOTE=King Hippos Bandaid;1299130]Im in Walking Distance to the Best Diner in Staten Island , the Woodrow Diner

QUOTE]

the best diner on staten island for me is andrew's diner on hylan blvd

the annadale diner is pretty good too

J.Clints
05-06-2007, 04:45 AM
There are not a lot of diners around here. But I do like to go to one once and a while.

cougarjake13
05-06-2007, 04:50 AM
There are not a lot of diners around here. But I do like to go to one once and a while.

exactly

i dont think i've even seen one down here in tampa in the 3 years i've lived here

J.Clints
05-06-2007, 04:57 AM
exactly

i dont think i've even seen one down here in tampa in the 3 years i've lived here

YOU HAVE TO GO TO NASHVILLE TO FIND ONE HERE

cougarjake13
05-06-2007, 05:12 AM
YOU HAVE TO GO TO NASHVILLE TO FIND ONE HERE

there might be some in orlando or some of the hick towns north of tampa

Fat_Sunny
05-06-2007, 07:09 AM
taylor ham is just fried bologna

That Statement's Baloney And You Know It!

Hey Midkiff, Fat's Gonna Try The Mark Twain Based On Your Cheesecake Recommendation. But If There Is A Smell Of Puke Coming From The Bathroom, He's Gonna Bust You To The Management!

reillyluck
05-06-2007, 07:18 AM
VIP in Journal Square and Colonette Diner on 440 in Jersey City.

I used to love going to the Colonette Diner right after playing Rock ande Roll Bowling at Playdrome!!! Oh how i miss those days!!!!!

JPMNICK
05-06-2007, 07:47 AM
That Statement's Baloney And You Know It!

Hey Midkiff, Fat's Gonna Try The Mark Twain Based On Your Cheesecake Recommendation. But If There Is A Smell Of Puke Coming From The Bathroom, He's Gonna Bust You To The Management!

No fat the Mark Twain is not the diner. I tried to edit the post and it did not work. You have to go to Huck Finn, also in union and also on Morris Ave.

And no puke smell from there. that place was to nice for our late night diner antics, the owner runs a tight ship over there. We went to Lido Diner on Rt. 22 where our normal waitress has track marks. good times. Sadly Lido Diner wad demolished 4 or 5 years back, and is now a 7-11

mdr55
05-06-2007, 08:19 AM
I used to love going to the Colonette Diner right after playing Rock ande Roll Bowling at Playdrome!!! Oh how i miss those days!!!!!

Do you remember Grandma's? (where the IHOP on 440 is now).

We used to go there all the time back in the day.

TooLowBrow
05-06-2007, 08:25 AM
exactly

Danny's All American Diner
4406 N Falkenburg Rd, Tampa, FL

Fat_Sunny
05-06-2007, 08:30 AM
No fat the Mark Twain is not the diner. I tried to edit the post and it did not work. You have to go to Huck Finn, also in union and also on Morris Ave.

And no puke smell from there. that place was to nice for our late night diner antics, the owner runs a tight ship over there. We went to Lido Diner on Rt. 22 where our normal waitress has track marks. good times. Sadly Lido Diner wad demolished 4 or 5 years back, and is now a 7-11

When The Moderator Of The Technical Forum Cannot Figure Out How To Edit A Post, We Are All In Deep, Deep Trouble!

JPMNICK
05-06-2007, 08:42 AM
When The Moderator Of The Technical Forum Cannot Figure Out How To Edit A Post, We Are All In Deep, Deep Trouble!

haha, no i think i hit save but my internet was acting crazy last night, and then i just closed the window without checking. let me know if you go and how you like it

lleeder
05-06-2007, 08:44 AM
New Jersey Is The Home Of The Diner. Fat Eats At Least One Meal A Week At A Diner (When Not Dieting).

Fat Thinks The Quality Of Diner Food Has Gone Way Down In The Last 10 Years. He Used To Eat At A Small One In Hackensack That Had Fantastic Ground Sirloin With Sauteed Onions, Plus Out-Of-This-World Mashed Potatoes, Plus They Made Their Own Cheesecakes And Other Desserts.

Isn't that just another way of saying a big hamburger with gravy on it?

Hottub
05-06-2007, 08:47 AM
A hamburger is generally chopped chuck. You need the fat content.
Sirloin is much more lean, and properly served grilled.

lleeder
05-06-2007, 08:58 AM
A hamburger is generally chopped chuck. You need the fat content.
Sirloin is much more lean, and properly served grilled.

Either way they both are nothing compared to a real steak off the Weber.

Fat_Sunny
05-06-2007, 09:07 AM
Either way they both are nothing compared to a real steak off the Weber.

Well, Duh, But We Are Talking About Diner Food, Not Grilling In The Back Yard!

TooLowBrow
05-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Ask for the filet mignon, run through the meat grinder at a 4 setting, a little finely chopped parsley and onions, and a raw egg, then prepare it yourself at the table

http://www.arthurhungry.com/pictures/mar06/tartare-thumb.jpg

BoondockSaint
05-06-2007, 09:26 AM
The Cozy Corner on McLean Ave. in Yonkers has fantastic 4am food.

spankyfrank
05-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Should you ever find yourself going up to albany, theres the Rosco Diner which is like a landmark in Middle New York. Its literally in the middle of nowhere and the food ain't bad either

FUNKMAN
05-06-2007, 10:20 AM
love diners... over the years my daughters would say "why do you like diners so much?" cause I'd always suggest going to the diner when we were thinking of somewhere to eat

i like getting liver every once in a while, split pea soup is a fav too

and spinach salads

sailor
05-06-2007, 10:31 AM
The Cozy Corner on McLean Ave. in Yonkers has fantastic 4am food.

i like that and the broadway diner, as well (just north of 262, in very southern yonkers).

patsopinion
05-06-2007, 10:42 AM
fog city diner in sf
great macaroni and cheese
a little more upscale then the norm idea of a diner but truly a sf treasure

EffMeBoobs
05-06-2007, 10:44 AM
My top 3 diners:

Tick Tock Diner in Clifton, NJ - best cheeseburger and fries

ScotchWood Diner in Scotch Plains, NJ - best pancakes

Menlo Park Diner, in Menlo Park, NJ - best disco fries

Enabler
05-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Yes! Fat Really Liked Both Those Towns, But Just Felt The Need For A Little More Land And Fewer People. Englewood Literally Had A Right And A Wrong Side Of The Tracks. Up The Hill Were Million Dollar Mansions, Down The Hill Was Very Poor. And The Train Tracks Divided The Two Halves, With Virtually No Middle-Class In Between. F_S Lived In A Rented Carriage House On The Hill For $700 A Month; He Was Poor, But Lived With The Millionaires!

Damn Fat! Very similar experience for enabler. My Dad worked at Dwight Englewood so I got to go there for free. I even lived at 420 Booth Ave for brief time in the former Beade school. Definetly one of the poorest kids there but I partyed with many many spoiled millionaire children. Anyway...What about the Royal Cliffs Diner? FIESTA HUT RULED!!! Now its a BP.

Don Stugots
05-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Stugots loves all diners. Whats not to love? you can get anything you want to eat at any time off the day. My fav? The Vegas Diner on 86th street, my meal of choice? Grilled cheese with bacon, fries with cheese, gravy with a black & white shake at 3 am.

mildly amusing
05-06-2007, 11:16 AM
I would have to say Bendix in Hasbrouck Heights is about as "diner" as you're ever gonna get...but for the food i'd go to either the Pompton Queen or the Tick Tock...

reeshy
05-06-2007, 11:18 AM
Westchester Square diner....long gone but it was the best in Bronx!!!!!

JPMNICK
05-06-2007, 11:29 AM
My top 3 diners:

Tick Tock Diner in Clifton, NJ - best cheeseburger and fries

ScotchWood Diner in Scotch Plains, NJ - best pancakes

Menlo Park Diner, in Menlo Park, NJ - best disco fries

The 1st 2 on your list I agree with 100%. Tick Tock might be my fav diner in NJ/

furie
05-06-2007, 04:20 PM
the sad fact is, you don't see alot of diners outside the greater NY area.
I lived in Tampa for 5 years and only saw one diner. it wasn't that great.

A.J.
05-07-2007, 04:13 AM
Miss the Acropolis Diner in my hometown of Hamden, CT. :sad:

hurlmon
05-07-2007, 07:12 AM
the broadway diner, as well (just north of 262, in very southern yonkers).

I lived a few blocks away (in the Bronx) for years and ate many a meal there. I hold them resposible for my weight gain those years.

EliSnow
05-07-2007, 07:21 AM
if you're out on Long Island, try Sweet Mama's in Northport.
Great food and nice atmosphere.

I was going to recommend that place too. Really great food.

BTW, whenever I go to a good diner, such as Sweet Mama's, I get a hankering for Belgian waffles and a chocolate shake. I don't really get that desire except at a diner.

tupper65
05-07-2007, 07:46 AM
We go to The Seville Diner on Rt. 18 in East Brunswick about once a month. It's OK, but not great. I agree with you that it seems like the quality of Diner food has gone down. I thought it might be that I'd just developed different, or more mature, tastes but I can't remember the last time that I had a really "outstanding" Diner experience.

Anyway, as a side story: we were at The Seville about two weeks ago and it seemed oddly uncrowded. Everyone working there seemed to be in a funk and there was just a strange vibe all around. Well, it turns out that the owner had been shot to death in the parking lot the day before. He was scheduled to go on trial for racketeering the following week. He was apparently involved in a gambling ring run by the Genovese/Bonano crime families.

Holy Crap!:ohmy:
My wife and I used to go there about twice a month!

We go to the Peterpank diner on Rt 9 in Sayreville (Bon Jovi still sshows up sometimes after a local show) Also the Bridgeway Diner off of Rt 9 is pretty good too. Good food, big portions

grlNIN
05-09-2007, 07:12 AM
Middletown Diner makes the best cheeseburgers and cheesecake, i go at least once a week.

Red Bank is great because it's 24 hours every night no matter what. Good to hangout in if youre coming from a local bar(preferably Dublin House because it's across the street).

The one thing i hate about newer diners is the "fancy" menu. There was one that is actually being sold back to the original owners that had this ridiculous upscale menu. The food was way overpriced for a diner and the menu didnt even read as appetizing.

FUNKMAN
05-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Middletown Diner makes the best cheeseburgers and cheesecake, i go at least once a week.

Red Bank is great because it's 24 hours every night no matter what. Good to hangout in if youre coming from a local bar(preferably Dublin House because it's across the street).

The one thing i hate about newer diners is the "fancy" menu. There was one that is actually being sold back to the original owners that had this ridiculous upscale menu. The food was way overpriced for a diner and the menu didnt even read as appetizing.

i went to a diner out near pennington and they had a guy playing guitar and singing... luckily the atmosphere was nice and the food wasn't overpriced. defenitely a 'different' diner experience... felt odd

A.J.
05-09-2007, 07:31 AM
I know this is a crappy picture, but the best things about diners are the carousel o' cakes when you walk in!

http://static.flickr.com/34/72565431_c4e83abd5d.jpg

ChimneyFish
05-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Local reference just for me(although I've seen a couple other people from the Norristown area).

Can't go wrong with a burger and gravy fries from Ray's.

MHasegawa
05-09-2007, 02:47 PM
i haaaate tick tock, 6 brothers too, fuck them

Gwen
05-09-2007, 03:28 PM
I dunno about anyone else's diner, but the Mahopac Olympic Diner has KILLER fried ravioli. Yummage to the max.