You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
How Do YOU tip a Waiter at a Restaurant [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : How Do YOU tip a Waiter at a Restaurant

King Hippos Bandaid
06-06-2007, 11:45 AM
I was in food serivice , So I am generous to good service . I usually start at giving 25% ,

A. if they are flawless they Keep The 25%

b if the are good , but are not very Attentive, they get 20%,

c. if they suck and they are nice, (making me wait a long time for food, mistakes etc), I Still give 15% Percent.

d. If they Suck Big Time are a Hot Female 20%, I give an extra 5% for looks

e. If they Suck and are not a Hot Female , they get 10 % at Best, Depends how Mad I am.

:king:

EliSnow
06-06-2007, 11:47 AM
I generally give 20% unless they provided bad service. Then I'll go to 15%.

Fezticle98
06-06-2007, 11:47 AM
If they suck and are a hot female, I give 20%.

If they swallow and are a hot female, I give 50%.

reeshy
06-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Usually. I give %20.........especially for breakfast!!!!!

Furtherman
06-06-2007, 11:51 AM
[FONT="Arial Black"][I]I was in food serivice , So I am generous to good service . I usually start at giving 25%

Me too.

I'm an overtipper.

But bad service will get a bad tip. I'm not talking about someone who is just starting or is swamped.. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

But if you're just lazy and act like you'd rather be somewhere else... then a small tip you are getting.

Don Stugots
06-06-2007, 11:52 AM
i usually double the tax then add a couple bucks.

IMSlacker
06-06-2007, 11:54 AM
I almost always give 20%, unless the service is just terrible, mostly because 20% is easier to calculate in my head than 15% is.

burrben
06-06-2007, 11:56 AM
i never know how much to tip at bars

Fezticle98
06-06-2007, 11:58 AM
i never know how much to tip at bars

$1 per drink. Or if it's a tab, 15-20% like a restaurant.

reillyluck
06-06-2007, 12:27 PM
i'll start with 25% then give more depending on the service, but they MUST do the following before i give them my decision on what they deserve:

1) come over and get the drink orders at least two - three minutes after sitting down.

2) take the order.

3) when the order is at my table ask if there is anything we need before leaving the table. (drinks, napkins, condiments)

4) 5 minutes into the meal ask if anything is ok. This is an EXTREMELY important!!!!

5) upon asking for the check, it should be no longer than a five minute wait to receive the check. every minute is .50 taken from their tip.

Marc with a c
06-06-2007, 12:31 PM
i give everyone a season 1 entourage dvd

Death Metal Moe
06-06-2007, 12:31 PM
They will get about 15% from me unless they were fucking assholes, then they may get nothing.

Guess what douche bag, you work for tips, so you'd better be nice and come back to give me refills regularly or go get another fucking job.

Don Stugots
06-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Starting today i will only tip: a refrigerator magnet for the experience with don stugots.

booster11373
06-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Coming from New York originally and know living in the South I feel its my duty to be a generous tipper. I have heard from those who work in the restaurant biz around here that southerners are at best poor tippers and what I have seen does seem to back this theory. So I usally tip at least 20% but have tipped 25% to 30% from great service

My own bias is that I will allways tip better at a local or small type resturant then if I am in a chain kind of place

King Hippos Bandaid
06-06-2007, 12:39 PM
i give everyone a season 1 entourage dvd

[I should have Stated How does everyone Tip Besides Jeremy Piven[/I]

King Hippos Bandaid
06-06-2007, 12:44 PM
A. From $1-$10 they get $2 bucks From $11-$20 they get 3 or 4 Bucks, From $20 and Above a $5 Spot, after you get to $40 the Prices go up Higher Accordingly.

If you are Later than an Hour (when promising 20-45 min Delivery) you automaticly get only $2 Bucks, now matter how Big the order is

Death Metal Moe
06-06-2007, 12:54 PM
You all seem far too generous to me. Why pay some punk kid for shit service? If they aren't being nice to customers, they should find another line of work.

I don't want a fucking comedian or a long conversation, I just want someone who doesn't mess up my order, comes back 2-3 times during the meal for refills and doesn't disappear when I want the check. I don't think that's too much to ask for, so I tip upwards of 20% sometimes for very good service.

But the stragglers get the fucking shaft, deep and hard. Sorry, if I don't do my job I have to pay for it with complaints, they pay for it in the wallet.

Gvac
06-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm an over tipper. This morning I went to a diner for breakfast and my bill was $6.90. I sat at the counter, and right after I got my food the waitress sat down and ate. I never saw her until I left. I gave her 5 bucks.

On big restaurant bills I round up the total and give 20% on that. For example, if the bill is $180, I round up to 200 and give 20% of that.

PapaBear
06-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Around here, that would be pretty good. Prepaired food tax is 10%.

cupcakelove
06-06-2007, 01:07 PM
I do 20%. If they're really good, I'll go higher, you really have to try hard to get less than 20, but it does happen.

lleeder
06-06-2007, 01:10 PM
with money

drjoek
06-06-2007, 01:17 PM
double the tax plus a couple.

my cell phone has a tip calc which im not ashamed to have used in a big group

swiss miss
06-06-2007, 01:27 PM
ha, this is always a discussion with chef mike and i,
.....way too much. my boyfriend usually rolls his eyes, but i like to be rememrered by big tips. the service tends to be better then on in when we come back. i too was a server, and he is currently a chef, not that tips matter to him, but they did to me when i ran around for them.even if the service is not so good, people have bad days, or it can be from the back of the house and then its reflected on the server. even at bars, ill throw down a 20 tip just for a few drinks, they remember you. try it.
xox swissy

Furtherman
06-06-2007, 01:33 PM
but i like to be rememrered by big tips.

Don't worry... I saw that Sopranos!!

CofyCrakCocaine
06-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Don't worry... I saw that Sopranos!!

Where they tipped the waiter with a brick to the head, epileptic seizure, and gunshot to the heart? You're a cold motherfucker.

BIGASS307Buddays
06-06-2007, 04:13 PM
A. From $1-$10 they get $2 bucks From $11-$20 they get 3 or 4 Bucks, From $20 and Above a $5 Spot, after you get to $40 the Prices go up Higher Accordingly.

If you are Later than an Hour (when promising 20-45 min Delivery) you automaticly get only $2 Bucks, now matter how Big the order is

With these Gas prices... All delivery guys must get a minimum 3 bucks tip... pay for a Gallon... except when the fuckos spill shit...

fohat
06-06-2007, 04:26 PM
I usually wait till night time when they go to sleep standing up, then I just lean on them until they are exactly 20 degrees to the left.

DonInNC
06-06-2007, 04:26 PM
I almost always give 20%, unless the service is just terrible, mostly because 20% is easier to calculate in my head than 15% is.

I've found myself doing that a lot lately, but I wish I could be more like Moe. No, not Fez. I spelled it with an e.

Bob Impact
06-06-2007, 04:27 PM
I usually tip 30% at least, unless you REALLY fuck it up. I've actually had a tip returned for being too much by a waiter at my friends restaurant.

lleeder
06-06-2007, 04:31 PM
I was in food serivice , So I am generous to good service . I usually start at giving 25% ,

A. if they are flawless they Keep The 25%

b if the are good , but are not very Attentive, they get 20%,

c. if they suck and they are nice, (making me wait a long time for food, mistakes etc), I Still give 15% Percent.

d. If they Suck Big Time are a Hot Female 20%, I give an extra 5% for looks

e. If they Suck and are not a Hot Female , they get 10 % at Best, Depends how Mad I am.

With this many rules there's no way your a good tipper

Don Stugots
06-06-2007, 04:32 PM
here is what i tip:

"you ever hear of the Weekly LLeeder? No? You should. Good day. I said good day."

lleeder
06-06-2007, 04:37 PM
here is what i tip:

"you ever hear of the Weekly LLeeder? No? You should. Good day. I said good day."

Now your making me blush http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/wandav/blush.gif

Bulldogcakes
06-06-2007, 05:02 PM

Bingo. Thats a standard tip, and usually gets you to around 18-20%.

My biggest problem is trying to figure out what to tip for breakfast at a diner. The whole bill is $5-$10, if you double the tax on a $5 breakfast bill that's about $1.50. I cant have someone go through the trouble of serving me breakfast and leave them $1.50. I have to leave at least $3 or $4 on the table, but if you go by percentages thats over tipping. A $3 tip on a $5 breakfast bill is like 60%. There's just no good way to do it.

King Hippos Bandaid
06-06-2007, 05:47 PM
With this many rules there's no way your a good tipper

There is no Good or Bad in Tipping, but I know im BETTER than you

lleeder
06-06-2007, 07:04 PM
There is no Good or Bad in Tipping, but I know im BETTER than you

I only deal in cash so I KNOW your wrong.

Don Stugots
06-06-2007, 07:11 PM
Bingo. Thats a standard tip, and usually gets you to around 18-20%.

My biggest problem is trying to figure out what to tip for breakfast at a diner. The whole bill is $5-$10, if you double the tax on a $5 breakfast bill that's about $1.50. I cant have someone go through the trouble of serving me breakfast and leave them $1.50. I have to leave at least $3 or $4 on the table, but if you go by percentages thats over tipping. A $3 tip on a $5 breakfast bill is like 60%. There's just no good way to do it.

breakfast is always tough. I usually just toss a 5 on the table. Also, no matter what, if i am paying for a dinner with my credit card, i always tip in cash. screw the government.

Midkiff
06-06-2007, 07:12 PM
I give the waiter/waitress more than just the tip.... I give them the whole thing.

King Hippos Bandaid
06-06-2007, 07:17 PM
breakfast is always tough. I usually just toss a 5 on the table. Also, no matter what, if i am paying for a dinner with my credit card, i always tip in cash. screw the government.

Agreed 100%, will always tip in Cash Money

sailor
06-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Also, no matter what, if i am paying for a dinner with my credit card, i always tip in cash. screw the government.

in the old days that would work, but no longer. now on all transactions the employer has to declare a set percentage of tips, even if you act like you're giving nothing and slide cash their way. i always used to do this, but now don't bother.

also, i tip 15-20% almost regardless of service. it's just part of the bill and i don't think the positive/negative reinforcement of behavior leads to better service, so why bother?

and gvac, with you $180 check...are you saying you leave 200 plus 40, or just that 40 is the total tip you leave? (do you leave 240 or 220?)

King Hippos Bandaid
06-06-2007, 07:24 PM
I only deal in cash so I KNOW your wrong.

The Tip War is On

Death Metal Moe
06-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Tonight I went to Outback with my buddy Grim Sanity and we got one of the WORST waiters ever.

Just to get this out of the way, it was NOT busy. There was absolutely no wait when we walked in and no wait as we walked out. It's an off weeknight.

The fucking kid waiting on us left us sit there 15 minutes and I had to have the kid seating people go get him. He wanted to take our appitizer and drink order and run away and I had to stop him because my pal and I already knew what we wanted to eat.

Then we fucking sat there again. Grim got his soda and mine was about 5 minutes behind. My soup and his salad came out before our Bloomin' Onion and I had to ask the girl who brought it out to even get my soda in the 1st place.

Then he comes over and asks if we want our prime ribs held up so we can eat our food. I told him "No, keep them coming. While you're here, you can take away this cold soup you brought me out and you can get the oil and vinegar for my friend that we asked you for."

Our prime ribs were warm, not hot.

That fucking faggot got $5 on a $50 bill and he is LUCKY I gave him that. He was fucking awful.

I don't care what kind of job it is, if you suck at it, you get dick from me. Get another job scumbag.

Landblast
06-06-2007, 08:20 PM
10% is generous.

PapaBear
06-06-2007, 08:24 PM
10% is generous.
Enjoy the "special sauce".

King Hippos Bandaid
06-06-2007, 08:38 PM
10% is generous.

For Poor people, Only 10 % in a Bad Situation like Moe

waltermitty
06-06-2007, 08:43 PM
I was a shitty tipper until my exgirlfriend got a servers job....
Through seeing how hard she works and how few people have class enough to show their appreciation I turned into an overly generous fool....
I give between 20 and 25% on dinner unless the shit is really fucked up... (I also take into account that a kitchen fuck up is not the servers fault)
On a Bar tab I give 15-20% unless I am ripped.... In that case I usually end up just emptying my wallet and throwing untold amounts of cash at the bartender.....

Death Metal Moe
06-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Sorry, but the whole "I was a waiter or knew someone in the service industry so now I tip big" story just don't work.

You should NEVER reward a bad job, EVER.

If you were a waiter or waitress and worked hard then you got better tips and probably even formed a couple regular customer relationships with people.

If you're some dolt who can't keep track of when soups, salads, appitizers and entrees come out you get $5 and are thankful for that. Go pump gas loser.

prothunderball
06-06-2007, 09:20 PM
(I also take into account that a kitchen fuck up is not the servers fault)

That's a good thing to remember I was a line cook for a while, and we can be a petty bunch, if we didn't like a server for some reason, we would have no problem fucking up their food in the hope that they would get a shitty tip. It's also probably good if you have a hot chick for a a server because line cooks are also usually horny guys in their twenties that'll bend over backwards for hot chicks, which intern can mean that the their customers will probably get their food faster and have less fuck up.

JPMNICK
06-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Sorry, but the whole "I was a waiter or knew someone in the service industry so now I tip big" story just don't work.

You should NEVER reward a bad job, EVER.

If you were a waiter or waitress and worked hard then you got better tips and probably even formed a couple regular customer relationships with people.

If you're some dolt who can't keep track of when soups, salads, appitizers and entrees come out you get $5 and are thankful for that. Go pump gas loser.

I agree with moe here 100%

i was a waiter, and it did teach me how hard the job is how and much people SUCK at tipping. but i did go into work hungover a lot, and some days i was a shitty waiter. on those days when people gave me 10% i know i deserved it. now there were other days where i busted my ass, got them everything before they even knew they needed it, and still got 6% tip.

shitty service should nto be rewarded. in the last 5 years i think i have only given 10% or less 2 or 3 times, and it was just HORRID how bad the waiter/waitress one. one night she stood 4 tables away talking to a table of people who i guess were friends of her's, and never came over to check on us. someone else brought us our food. no checking on drinks, if we needed ketchup, if we wanted desert.

MrPink
06-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Just watch Reservoir Dogs to see what I think aboot tipping, but since I don't want to appear deviant, I tip. However, why do we tip as a percentage of the price of the meal? What if you're on a date where both of you get a Kobe Beef filet mignon with lobster tails and a bottle of super expensive champagne. The bill is $300, so do you actually pay the 10, 15, or 20%? The waitress is serving the same amount of food as one that is serving a meal at Denny's.

I usually tip $3, $5 if she really puts forth the effort, and nothing if service sucked. As for bars, I don't tip.

PapaBear
06-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Just watch Reservoir Dogs to see what I think aboot tipping, but since I don't want to appear deviant, I tip. However, why do we tip as a percentage of the price of the meal? What if you're on a date where both of you get a Kobe Beef filet mignon with lobster tails and a bottle of super expensive champagne. The bill is $300, so do you actually pay the 10, 15, or 20%? The waitress is serving the same amount of food as one that is serving a meal at Denny's.

I usually tip $3, $5 if she really puts forth the effort, and nothing if service sucked. As for bars, I don't tip.
Enjoy the "special sauce".

As for bars, I don't tip

Enjoy the "extra special sauce".

CofyCrakCocaine
06-07-2007, 04:29 AM
Bad service and how much I take off the tip itself is entirely dependent upon whether I intended to eat there again. If I had the experience Nick described and I was not interested in eating there again, I'd leave exactly Zero percent tip. I think a bad job deserves a full out forfeit of payment. If I pulled that kind of lazy shit in a job in front of a boss, you can bet your ass that my employer would have fired me and I'd have deserved it.

Now, if I planned on eating there again...I'd leave one or two bucks. Because bad service always makes me mad, and I have developed an immunity to the special sauce it would seem. I know it's a tough job to constantly wait on people, but when there's only a handful of people in a joint, there's no excuse for fucking off. Quit playing Nintendo in the back office and get me my 5 cups of coffee, shithead! I can handle a spit-burger deluxe. It'll be a dandy when I find out I'm HIV-positive, but hell, I wouldn't even know it until five years after the fact. el oh el!

There's this one Turkish restaurant in New York that my chick's friend took us over to... I guess to celebrate her going into the Peace Corps or something. So yeah, we had this airy little petite lovely looking waitress...who didn't do her fucking job. We sat there for about 4 hours and I think I only got one glass of water and one drink the whole time because she never showed up to serve us. Some other guy would drop our food on the table because she evidently left the restaurant and then came back to pick up our tab. Now that is all fine and dandy that you don't want to hang out for four hours at a small cramped restaurant at night (I wanted out by hour 2 but it wasn't my party), but Jesus, were we neglected! And to top it all off, she got an automatic 35% tip added onto the bill. It really annoyed the shit out of me. I wanted to contest it. The good food and drink didn't make the service any less abominable.

Chigworthy
06-07-2007, 05:49 AM
Here's my method for figuring out 20 percent. I'm sure a lot of you use this, but some people, for example someone's wife, just can't figure out tips.

Take the total cost. Don't take the tax and multiply that by whatever, as some items don't get taxed so the ammount of tax doesn't reflect the ammount of the billl. So, take the total cost. Say it's 52 bucks. That's $52.00. Take ten percent of that by moving the decimal one point to the left. That's $5.20. Now, stack two of those together, and you've got 20%. $10.40. Adjust accordingly.

sailor
06-07-2007, 06:11 AM
There's this one Turkish restaurant in New York that my chick's friend took us over to... I guess to celebrate her going into the Peace Corps or something. So yeah, we had this airy little petite lovely looking waitress...who didn't do her fucking job. We sat there for about 4 hours and I think I only got one glass of water and one drink the whole time because she never showed up to serve us. Some other guy would drop our food on the table because she evidently left the restaurant and then came back to pick up our tab. Now that is all fine and dandy that you don't want to hang out for four hours at a small cramped restaurant at night (I wanted out by hour 2 but it wasn't my party), but Jesus, were we neglected! And to top it all off, she got an automatic 35% tip added onto the bill. It really annoyed the shit out of me. I wanted to contest it. The good food and drink didn't make the service any less abominable.

the restaurant i worked at added a gratuity for large parties as well, but if anyone ever said they weren't happy with the service and wanted to tip less, it was immediately removed without another word said.

Furtherman
06-07-2007, 07:27 AM

Wow. That's just wrong. You should just eat at home. All the time.

zerothehero
06-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Good service, attentive, friendly gets 20 to 25%.

Be unfriendly but just get by doing your job. (like you obviously hate being there, but know taking our order, refilling drinks, bringing our food will usually get you a tip) You get 10%, 15% if you are lucky and I'm in a good mood.

Be an unfriendly or ungrateful that I'm eating in your joint, you're lucky to get anything. Maybe a few coins as a joke to piss you off just because you are a little shit.

Death Metal Moe
06-07-2007, 09:56 AM
It seems to me there's 3 types of posters in here.

1. People who think waiting on people is hard work because they did it in the past or have had friends and family who did it and always tip heavy.

This is a very admirable character trait and its good to remember that we all started out taking shit jobs to make ends meet. We should be uncaring to the wait staff and should also remember that it could be food runners and/or the cooks fucking them up too. I try my best to be fair when considering my tip.

2. People who just don't tip that much no matter what the service was like.

I don't think this is a good idea. You will get your food fucked with if you frequent a place you tip poorly in. And I think an adequate to exceptional job should always be complimented, in this case with some extra cash.

3. The rest of us who decide the tip based on each individual person's attitude and performance.

This is where I fall in. I really do try to keep in mind how shitty the job is, but if you're not going to even try to do it well, go somewhere else, please. You're not going to get the money you are looking for and you're not doing any customers any favors.

MrPink
06-07-2007, 10:43 AM
I just don't understand why our society says that we need to tip our waitresses. Please someone actually come up with a valid argument.

Furtherman
06-07-2007, 11:02 AM
I just don't understand why our society says that we need to tip our waitresses. Please someone actually come up with a valid argument.

Are you kidding me? Waitresses and waiters that don't have second jobs are working to live with the one they have. They get a shit minimum wage and live on tips. They take your order, bring your food and make sure your dining experience is a nice one. If it is, you give them something for their trouble because really, who are we to think, as a decent human beings, that someone should do all the work and we just mess up the joint and then leave, without leaving a little something.

I'm not talking about those "tip" jars you see in coffee shops and deli's... I'm talking about someone who is on their feet over half the day and is working hard just so they could get back to their small apartment and hungry kid. Is that so much to ask for a 15-20% tip?

Yes, quality service matters, and if they do a shit job, then you have every right to leave a small tip or no tip at all. That's the deal.

But if you came into my restaurant with your wife or a friend and had a meal, some drinks, and good service, with a bill that came to say... $60 and you left a $5 tip because "she made an effort"? I'd make sure you never ate there again.

I understand that everyone has different money situations. Some more than others. But if you're going to use it to go out to a restaurant, then you are paying for a dining experience, and a tip is part of that deal. If everything goes smoothly, you tip. If not, it's up to you. But don't insult someone with a measly tip.

TheMojoPin
06-07-2007, 11:16 AM

The industry is designed for them to survive on tips.

IMSlacker
06-07-2007, 11:23 AM
The industry is designed for them to survive on tips.

Right, isn't their base salary like 1/2 of the minimum wage?

JPMNICK
06-07-2007, 11:25 AM

if there was no tipping, and they got a flat salary, service would suck so bad. who would take that job for 27k a year or whatever shit wages a restaurant would pay them. tipping is what motivates people in the service industry to strive to do a better job.

JPMNICK
06-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Right, isn't their base salary like 1/2 of the minimum wage?

before the min. wage hike, it was like 2.15 an hour or something around there.

prothunderball
06-07-2007, 11:26 AM

because they make 3 dollars an hour, and if you don't tip them, they can't afford to eat. That's really the bottom line.
Should they get paid more, and the customer not have to tip? Maybe, but that's not the way things work right now, so we tip and we tip well, becuase we're not heartless bastards that don't care about other people.

A.J.
06-08-2007, 05:40 AM
I tip in U.S. currency.