You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
ESPN Vs. WFAN [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Vs. WFAN

lleeder
07-30-2007, 12:28 PM
I'm not sure if everyone knows about the feud between ESPN and WFAN. Recently in a effort to lure listeners away from WFAN and Mike and the Maddog, ESPN no longer allows their television people to do interviews on WFAN. Peter Gammons and others that have always appeared on the show are no longer allowed to do so. Just today in a new twist WFAN has changed the way they credit stories. In the past they would report something and say "according to ESPN.com". Today when reporting on MLB trades they said "according to FOX Sports". It might be a minor thing but it just seems different. I wonder how long this whole thing will continue?

Tall_James
07-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Its the same here in Boston - WEEI vs ESPN Radio. However, WEEI rules the roost up here.

JPMNICK
07-30-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure if everyone knows about the feud between ESPN and WFAN. Recently in a effort to lure listeners away from WFAN and Mike and the Maddog, ESPN no longer allows their television people to do interviews on WFAN. Peter Gammons and others that have always appeared on the show are no longer allowed to do so. Just today in a new twist WFAN has changed the way they credit stories. In the past they would report something and say "according to ESPN.com". Today when reporting on MLB trades they said "according to FOX Sports". It might be a minor thing but it just seems different. I wonder how long this whole thing will continue?

I think there is something with Mike and the Maddog and fox, because if you watch their show on YES during the day, all the headlines at the bottom are from fox. I am not sure if they are owned by FOX or what the deal is.

i had no idea that the ESPN guys are no longer allowed on their show though. I think that is kind of shitty, because some of those guys have been friends with the show for a long time. more corporate bullshit that, in the end, the consumer suffers.

JPMNICK
07-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Its the same here in Boston - WEEI vs ESPN Radio. However, WEEI rules the roost up here.

here too, WFAN has a much bigger fan base than ESPN. ESPN corporate must have shut this down to bring more people into their listenership.

Tall_James
07-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Its more of bigger deal here because Gammons writes for the Boston Globe, as does Bob Ryan. He's a local icon forbidden from appearing on the competition.

Then again, no one from the Globe appears on WEEI due to some horseshit that went down several years ago.

lleeder
07-30-2007, 12:39 PM
I think there is something with Mike and the Maddog and fox, because if you watch their show on YES during the day, all the headlines at the bottom are from fox. I am not sure if they are owned by FOX or what the deal is.

i had no idea that the ESPN guys are no longer allowed on their show though. I think that is kind of shitty, because some of those guys have been friends with the show for a long time. more corporate bullshit that, in the end, the consumer suffers.

Last week Mike interviewed the head of ESPN. He said to the guy that he felt it was a bad move by ESPN since the show had relationships with these guests for awhile. Mike said he thinks its bad business on ESPN's part since they give the network alot of promotion. I'm sure Maddog will have alot more anti-ESPN rants in the future.

BeltOfScotch
07-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Maybe they weren't too happy about Francesa destroying Sportscenter last week. He was dead on about all of it. I was a Sportscenter junkie five years ago, now I barely watch it. And Who's Now might be the worst thing in the history of television.

I understand the decision from a competition perspective, but the whole thing is silly.

JPMNICK
07-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Last week Mike interviewed the head of ESPN. He said to the guy that he felt it was a bad move by ESPN since the show had relationships with these guests for awhile. Mike said he thinks its bad business on ESPN's part since they give the network alot of promotion. I'm sure Mad dog will have alot more anti-ESPN rants in the future.

I know ESPN has put a lot of money into the radio segment of their network. they have some decent shows, but WAY to many commercials. I guess you can say the same for Mike and Mad dog. it makes it almost unlistenable. they get on a roll and have to break.

and Mike and Mike in the morning is HORRIBLE. i started to listen a few years back, and back then I said there was no way they were going to make it. i was SOOO wrong. they have a simulcast now, a best-of replay on ESPN2 in the afternoon, and national commercial spots.

JPMNICK
07-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Maybe they weren't too happy about Francesa destroying Sportscenter last week. He was dead on about all of it. I was a Sportscenter junkie five years ago, now I barely watch it. And Who's Now might be the worst thing in the history of television.

I understand the decision from a competition perspective, but the whole thing is silly.

Was that when he was talking about the new sportscenter segement "Who is NOW?" which makes zero sense

lleeder
07-30-2007, 12:48 PM

Yeah but the exclusive ESPN guest thing has been goin on for at least 3 weeks maybe even a month.

Earlshog
07-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Was that when he was talking about the new sportscenter segement "Who is NOW?" which makes zero sense

Yeah and Mike is right, that who is now is terrible....

ESPN radio makes it seem like they compete in New York with the Fan. I don't really think they care about the ratings. Its more about being able to tell advertisers they have a NY presence (the only NY stations Disney Kept were 1560, the Disney brand, and 1050 the ESPN brand). Not allowing ESPN talent to go on other radio stations is typical of short sighted corporate owned radio today. The overall product suffers and sends people to other mediums. I know its a separate issue but this is one of the reasons big conglomerates shouldn't be allowed to own so many outlets. As far as WEPN they have some entertaining hosts ( I like Brandon Tierany and Jody Mac ), but they have too many crappy syndicated shows ( Mike and Mike, Dan Patrick) and a shitty signal compared to the fan.

JPMNICK
07-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah and Mike is right, that who is now is terrible....

ESPN radio makes it seem like they compete in New York with the Fan. I don't really think they care about the ratings. Its more about being able to tell advertisers they have a NY presence (the only NY stations Disney Kept were 1560, the Disney brand, and 1050 the ESPN brand). Not allowing ESPN talent to go on other radio stations is typical of short sighted corporate owned radio today. The overall product suffers and sends people to other mediums. I know its a separate issue but this is one of the reasons big conglomerates shouldn't be allowed to own so many outlets. As far as WEPN they have some entertaining hosts ( I like Brandon Tierany and Jody Mac ), but they have too many crappy syndicated shows ( Mike and Mike, Dan Patrick) and a shitty signal compared to the fan.

i never get to listen to Dan Patrick's show, is it that bad?

Mike and Mike is the hackiest show on radio.

King Hippos Bandaid
07-30-2007, 01:20 PM
I listened to sports radio up until 1999 2000

When 2 Shows took over my mind

The only host on I can listen to on Either ESPN or WFAN is Steve Sommers

:king:

Tall_James
07-30-2007, 01:28 PM
I listened to sports radio up until 1999 2000

When 2 Shows took over my mind

That Dr. Laura is intriguing, isn't she.

:wink:

Earlshog
07-30-2007, 01:36 PM

An Oak Tree has more charisma... So boring... I think he is done soon...

Mike and Mike is okay when they talk sports, the second the topic switchs to something else it is brutal...

King Hippos Bandaid
07-30-2007, 01:43 PM
That Dr. Laura is intriguing, isn't she.

:wink:

yes that twat and Bob Edwards are the only people I listen too

Tenbatsuzen
07-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Who's Now would have been good for a Page 2 article. In fact, they do that stuff all the time. It's like pot talk. But on TV? And taken seriously? Horrific.

Besides, having ESPN sources on all the time isn't always a good thing. I seem to remember Mortensen saying that Vick wasn't going to be indicted a few weeks ago.

The WWL has become too diversified, and I think part of that is Disney playing a hand, and another part of it is the people we grew up on SportsCenter leaving.

Plus Joe Morgan sucks.

cougarjake13
07-30-2007, 01:57 PM

dan patrick was ok

got better when olberman came on his show

but he quit so no more radio for dan

Ritalin
07-30-2007, 01:57 PM
I don't mind Dan Patrick at all. At least you hear something about a team outside of New York, plus he gets some good guests. I think Reggie Miller is funny and smart.

Mike and Mike is just ok, but there's nothing else on in the morning.

I think Max Kellerman is pretty good.

But.....Steven Smith is THE WORST BROADCASTER EVER.

Bulldogcakes
07-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Between the two stations, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. ESPN scoops the FAN on almost every story, its ridiculous. I call the FAN all the time (Steve from Bayside, mostly Mike &Mad dog and Richard Neer shows) and sometimes I tell their screener or producer things they haven't even heard yet that ESPN has been reporting for an hour.

In terms of programming though, again its not close. The FAN has MUCH better shows, most of ESPN's programming is absolutely unlistenable. Michael Kay is good to get the Yankee front office point of view (Mike& Maddog give you Torre's view and claim its their own) Mike and Mike are OK and the rest of the station is utterly hideous. Maybe I'll throw in Jody Mac as good on Saturday morning, but he's only on for 2 hours a week.

So to keep up on things, I have to listen to both at different times of the day. WFAN will be knocked down a notch in the programming dept if they go ahead and hire Boomer Esiason as Imus' replacement, as has been rumored. He is unlistenable as well.

Dan 'Hampton
07-30-2007, 02:06 PM
It's an attempt to keep their tallent exclusively on thier own stations. WEEI has everyone except Globe and ESPN guys as noted before. Strange that they have NESN people who technically are employed by the globe but whatever. It's not an issue of them trying to take down FAN.

spoon
07-30-2007, 02:37 PM

I agree with this 100% and may even back up the date to 7 or so years without watching Sportscenter like I used to. It was a turn of the century marker for me.

lleeder
07-30-2007, 02:39 PM
A sports thread isnt a sports thread until Spoon shows up. Hows it going buddy, thanks for dropping by.

King Hippos Bandaid
07-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Sport Center is so Cali now

Cali=California , California = Gay

Its unwatchable

I just watch ESPN News

spoon
07-30-2007, 02:48 PM

I can't stand M and M but Patrick's show isn't that bad. He's at his best when Keith Oberman is on as they just bring back that old Sportscenter chemistry that made both of them. Patrick is similar to Mike and the Dog in that they all know baseball pretty well, follow the NFL and NBA better than the average fan but are terrible with hockey and that hits deep with me of course.

As for the Who's Now, I can remember ripping that shit immediately with Snoogs and Kev when it started. I can promise you that some cunt within ESPN convinced them to unveil this sports version of American Idol bc it'd be huge and could be tied into their espn phone tripe they've been pushing all the time. It's a monumental waste of fucking time like even I have never seen on ESPN. Well at least it takes away from the constant Bonds, Vick, Yankee, Cub stories I have to endure to simply see the box scores for the minor league teams that is every other.

spoon
07-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Between the two stations, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. ESPN scoops the FAN on almost every story, its ridiculous. I call the FAN all the time (Steve from Bayside, mostly Mike &Mad dog and Richard Neer shows) and sometimes I tell their screener or producer things they haven't even heard yet that ESPN has been reporting for an hour.

In terms of programming though, again its not close. The FAN has MUCH better shows, most of ESPN's programming is absolutely unlistenable. Michael Kay is good to get the Yankee front office point of view (Mike& Maddog give you Torre's view and claim its their own) Mike and Mike are OK and the rest of the station is utterly hideous. Maybe I'll throw in Jody Mac as good on Saturday morning, but he's only on for 2 hours a week.

So to keep up on things, I have to listen to both at different times of the day. WFAN will be knocked down a notch in the programming dept if they go ahead and hire Boomer Esiason as Imus' replacement, as has been rumored. He is unlistenable as well.

I can't believe you like Jody Mac. She doesn't know a fucking thing and turns almost every show into a knock off Who's Now segment. I can't stand her show in the least.

spoon
07-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Not bad LLeed, yourself? And what happened to you Friday after VIP? Nobody saw you at B9, so does this mean you got towed to Snoogan's impound lot too? Or did you just get stuck at the Champ Room with some skinny ruskies?

King Hippos Bandaid
07-30-2007, 02:58 PM
I can't believe you like Jody Mac. She doesn't know a fucking thing and turns almost every show into a knock off Who's Now segment. I can't stand her show in the least.

Jody is a Talentless twat

No one is worse than that Joe Beningo

Beningo sounds like Karl Nelson, right before dieing from Cancer

I cant stand him

spoon
07-30-2007, 03:02 PM
How about a Spoon and Hippo show?

King Hippos Bandaid
07-30-2007, 03:05 PM

we would have to go to a Station who would allow My Pre Imus thoughts

also i need to use the Word Cunt 6 times a day

Besides that Im Easy to work with

BIGASS307Buddays
07-30-2007, 04:35 PM

Only Sirius has a Gay/Lesbian Channel...

King Hippos Bandaid
07-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Only Sirius has a Gay/Lesbian Channel...

you would know that, you lil Sissy

all the Straight Genes went to me

El Mudo
07-30-2007, 04:46 PM
I know ESPN has put a lot of money into the radio segment of their network. they have some decent shows, but WAY to many commercials. I guess you can say the same for Mike and Mad dog. it makes it almost unlistenable. they get on a roll and have to break.

and Mike and Mike in the morning is HORRIBLE. i started to listen a few years back, and back then I said there was no way they were going to make it. i was SOOO wrong. they have a simulcast now, a best-of replay on ESPN2 in the afternoon, and national commercial spots.

And I believe they are the broadcast team on Arena Football coverage...

Mike and Mike is TERRIBLE....I just listen to Rick Doc Walker on the local station now when I wake up

lleeder
07-30-2007, 07:10 PM
Not bad LLeed, yourself? And what happened to you Friday after VIP? Nobody saw you at B9, so does this mean you got towed to Snoogan's impound lot too? Or did you just get stuck at the Champ Room with some skinny ruskies?

I was there conversing with the lovely Gvac, Pixie and Friday. I had to make sure to be out by 2. I can't miss the 2:40 and end up sleeping in Penn waiting for the 4:55.

lleeder
07-30-2007, 07:11 PM

I thought Jodi Mac was a dude...or is that the joke.

spoon
07-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Bing bong!

RingWraith
07-30-2007, 08:45 PM
I don't mind Dan Patrick at all. At least you hear something about a team outside of New York, plus he gets some good guests. I think Reggie Miller is funny and smart.

Mike and Mike is just ok, but there's nothing else on in the morning.

I think Max Kellerman is pretty good.

But.....Steven Smith is THE WORST BROADCASTER EVER.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with ya. I think Steven A. Smith is by far the best show on ESPN radio.

But other than that, I usually switch back and forth depending on the topic being discussed.

But it is annoying that ESPN reception is far more clearer in most areas in NYC than it is with the WFAN. WFAN reception in a lot of areas in Manhattan.

Bulldogcakes
07-31-2007, 02:14 PM

I'm talking about Jody MacDonald, the guy who used to be paired up with Sid Rosenbeg on WFAN in the afternoons. His dad was a Mets GM, he does a lot of baseball and horse racing (which I could do w/o) stuff on his show. Are you thinking of someone else? Is there a female Jody Mac?

Enabler
07-31-2007, 02:49 PM

I cant stand him

Oh the pain! When Joe did the overnights I listened all the time. I gotta stand up for Joe from Saddle River. He's part of what makes the fan better than espn.

King Hippos Bandaid
07-31-2007, 02:52 PM

I cant stand him

Oh the pain! When Joe did the overnights I listened all the time. I gotta stand up for Joe from Saddle River. He's part of what makes the fan better than espn.

I stand by my words

He is supossed to be out there and Wacky, and he always Bitched about Sid Rosenberg behind the scenes when they had their show

hes a tool

spoon
08-02-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm talking about Jody MacDonald, the guy who used to be paired up with Sid Rosenbeg on WFAN in the afternoons. His dad was a Mets GM, he does a lot of baseball and horse racing (which I could do w/o) stuff on his show. Are you thinking of someone else? Is there a female Jody Mac?

As lleeder was figured out, I was calling him a bitch due to his inane topics only a chick would give a fuck about. Well a chick or sheepy.

As for Joe B. I have to stick up for him as well. I'm not a die hard fan but he's ok by me. He works well with his partner now too so the show is fine by me, just not on at a good time due to the four horsemen of XM.

Ritalin
08-02-2007, 05:45 PM
I miss Doris from Rego Park.

Ritalin
08-02-2007, 05:50 PM
This is awesome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Somers

El Mudo
08-02-2007, 06:59 PM

I'm waiting for "The Right Wing Lock with Spoon and Mudo"

Earlshog
08-03-2007, 05:16 AM
I miss Doris from Rego Park.

haha... when Joe Bwas doing overnights he put Doris and I on the phone together beacuse I called up and wanted to know why she hated the Phillies so much. She was nice and told a story about a time she was at the Vet.

One night I was listening to Bob Grant and Dorris called in to defend Clinton, it was hysterical.