You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
8/11/07 Rock Shows and Renaissance Festivals... Dig it! [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : 8/11/07 Rock Shows and Renaissance Festivals... Dig it!

Kathleen From The Bronx
08-12-2007, 01:57 AM
Dear Ron and Fez Shooow,

Hey! I just wanted to drop you a line or two real quick.... Naaah! Not THOSE kinda lines! HAH! Tsk...You guuuys..... I'm tryin to talkin bout this Ron and Fez Rock Show that I enjoyed so immensely! As Fezzie put it so well.... "Tonight I am all about the rock!" Me too man, me tooo... SO here it goes...

Ron and Fez Show, I bet you will not be surprised when I tell you that yez stone cold tricked me with that opening song! As I heard, "Piano Man," begin to play, I yelled incredulously, "Billy Joel!???! Really?!??!" and I got myself all blustered up to launch into one of my my typical anti- Billy Joel diatribes....whether anyone wanted to hear it or not... but then the record goes, "SCREEEECH!!!" and yez busted into the solid, hard rockin goodness that is MC5!! I cackled, my friends... and proclaimed to the room, "I am SUCH A RUBE!!!" Duped again... and I loved it...and Kick Out the Jams ya did....MC5 into Bad Brains was killa.... Always geeked to hear them Bad Brains! I laughed and felt no need to argue when Ronnie announced that, "they are the only good thing to come outta D.C......YEAH I'm looking right at you, Henry Rollins! And don't even try to give me any of that Foo Fighters shit! He had to go to Seattle!"

It made me laugh to picture Henry Rollins having to skulk off to some corner to weep after hearing that harsh reality come down... Not that I got nuthin against Henry Rollins!! Just do me a favor and picture that guy squirtin a few out like some twist, though..... YEah I know, right!?!! Looks WEEEIRD!!!

I tell yez what... this rock show of yours fell on one of the first perfect nights to be outside in forever....So that's just what we did here.... We happily took it, "alfresco," as they say! Out to the back deck we went, singin right along into the cool night air....diggin Sweet Lou and Bowie, Patti Smith and the Clash.... Awww, great shit! Yes, this caterwauling certainly did go on for quite some time...that is, until you guys played, The Tubes...who rock... Please don't misunderstand... It's just that I realized quite suddenly that it might be a mistake for us to continue noisily belting out, "We're white punks on dope!!!" repeatedly.... One of the neighborhood squares might take it as a general announcement and think smugly, "So those weirdos are FINALLY admitting it!" and/or, "Now's a great time to call the cops." Yeeesh, buncha busybodies!!! Is ROCKIN' such a crime?

A gigantic highlight of tonight's show came in form of surprise visitors....seemingly from ages long past, judging from the antiquated language that they spoke.... but NAY! Twas Anthony Cumia, Melinda, ESD and Casey...fresh from a day at the Renaissance Festival...and Ant in full Renaissance regalia! Pure hilarious.....

When Ronnie asked Ant if he had any rock requests, I laughed big when he called for Jethro Tull! When Ronnie acted like, "Songs From the Wood," was up next....I nearly fell for it.. but no! I couldn't conceive of Ron allowing rock flute to take place under any circumstance..... So.... ya didn't get me that time...heh, heh.... Since Jethro Tull was brought up for mere seconds I cannot stop myself from sharing one of my favorite facts of all time.... Once a friend told me that at Jethro Tull shows, fans will exuberantly play, "air flute," in the way that some might get down on air guitar...... I'm tellin you! Is that some shit??!?! I know..... The awful aspect of knowing such a detail is that now any time the band Jethro Tull is mentioned I literally cannot stop myself from bringin up the air flute routine! It's like a fuckin nervous tick at this point!! "Dude, have you heard about this air flute shit that goes on???!!" Euuugghh...... So uh.. thanks for puttin up with yet another senseless OCD outta me.... Anyway, relieved that we all got to hear The Misfits instead! Always good, I say.....

Ron and Fez Show, I have to tell you the truth....I used to be one of these people who would mock Renaissance festival fun.... Well, I probably still am, otherwise maybe I would have instead of laughing so hard, ended up challenging Ronnie to a duel... or some shit, after such statements like, "This is New York City!!!" and, "It makes no sense! If you were in Long Island during those years there were only Indians!" and..... with a touch of comic disgust, "I could better understand a 50's party.... ZOMBIE PROM makes more sense!!" Yeah man, that had me rollin..... Oh yeah, but I was trying to make a confession here....

See, I always used to look at the Renaissance festival the corny convention coming to town each year....Ahhh but that was until I started going myself... Bri got my brothers and me to go one year and we keep goin back....Big fun. I mean, I don't dress up or anything.... If that's what you're into, that's cool... just don't think I could pull off the bawdy wench look....I mean during Renaissance times, of course...... I actually have come to really appreciate the fact that some peoples really go for the gusto in the costume department each year... which makes what I call, "the rise in ironic statements," at the festivals a touch aggravatin to the ole gal! I mean, it was one thing when a group of Star Wars storm troopers showed up that one year unexpectedly... I did laugh then, maybe I even said, "Huzzah," but lately it's like out of control!! It's like last year I was seein tons of inappropriate-for-the-era get-ups.... like Napoleon Dynamite (STOP!!) and Civil War reenactors.... I was like, "What the hell!? Enough is enough!!" Later I realized that on this particular trip that we made, it was during the weekend before Halloween and revelers were encouraged to wear their Halloween costumes into the park..... That made me kinda regret screaming, "WHAT!??! IS THIS ALL SOME KINDA JOKE TO YOU!???" in the face of that ten year old Spiderman... OOops...

So, I might not be able to pull off a Renaissance look...but I tell you what I can pull off though, and that may dear people, is drinking... This attitudinal shift of mine might have a lil something to do with the fact that ya can drink outside there...(without paper bags!!!)..... amid costumed folk in a quaint village setting t'boot! Ain't it something how then me tune changes??? Yeah....That got me thinking.... I bet there are a lot of places I wouldn't end up so often if drinkin wasn't part of the pastime.... For one thing, goin camping might seem like much more of a chore. Tailgating before rock shows or sporting events might suddenly seem pointless; I wouldn't spend so much time hanging out in parking lots without booze......YEAH! ... and ya wouldn't find me in the back pews of empty, dark churches either!

Hmmm.... The Ron and Fez Rock Show... that's what we're supposed to be talking about here... And a great rock show it was! We were really treated to a nice eclectic mix too.... Niiice funk and oooh so dug the blues line up of John Lee Hooker into Stevie Ray into Robert Cray.... yeah.... lotsa great music spiked with instances of really funny lines and stories! A story I deeply enjoyed from tonight was when East Side Dave was recounting his troubling tale from the night before after his "Thank You Dinner," held for those who had helped him move.... He mistakenly thought a big fat blunt was a cigar and shared it... much to his later chagrin when he ended up baked outta his skull..... I cackled when Ronnie said, "Any two guys share a cigar, they might as well blow eachother!!!" Poor Dave responded, "I didn't know!!!" To which Ron said, "That's cause you're redheaded and stupid!" Aww.... That last line sure brings me back to childhood!!! Dear ole Dad, the things he'd say...chuckle, chuckle...Whadda cut up!

Yeah so... even though many times Ron claimed with an annoyance that had me just rollin, "I'm done with playing music, I HATE IT!!" I can honestly tell you I was diggin this rock show start to finish.... I believe it was after only about three songs and I was already yellin, "Please do this again and again and AGAIN!!!" The music was great... there were so many laughs and it just seemed like such fun... I am a big fan of The Ron and Fez Rock Show, as you might be able to tell from all this yappin.... Thanks for a real good time!

Signed,

kathleen from the bronx:):):)

ibanez23
08-12-2007, 04:25 AM
Once again, greatness has reared it's head.I don't know how she does it.What an awesome talent Kathleen has.

Dre
08-12-2007, 05:07 AM
This may be your best blog yet, but competing against the image of a slimy kangaroo larva pouch I'm not sure. But, really, these blogs get better each time and are awesome! I too loved the Rock Show and the feel of it, the music was great, drunk Ant and Melinda was hilarious, ESD's pot cigar story had me laughing pretty hard, and I loved the fact Ronnie kept yellin' "I'm done playing music, I HATE it!". All in all, another awesome blog effort, (you must take some time to write these, which I admire,), keep em' coming!

Thanks.

EffMeBoobs
08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
I didnt catch this show, but I think what I just read was better than listening to it!! Yes K ft B!!

deepinthewoods
08-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Preach the gospel, sista Thleen aus dem Bronx! However, before you go too far harshin' on the BJ that just keeps on givin' (Billy Joel), please be aware of his dark past as a prog-gnosticator of big, fat, ugly rock 'n' roll courtesy of his pre-fame band Attila.

http://www.cleavelin.net/archives001/attila.jpg

For those about to jack, that's an armor clad BJ on the right, back when his main job was shredding on the organ and killing Saracens.

A hilarious Julian Cope review of the album is here:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/804

This, of course, leads me to my own dark past as an occasional Ren Fair attendee. Much like Thleen, I came to the concept as a hater, and then realized that there was nothing funnier after sharing a cigar with a buddy than jousting and wenches in tennis shoes. And because I was a death rocker, I didn't have to change clothes because I was (am) ALWAYS in a stupid outfit. I was a real mead head for a while, but I went on the treatment (leaches and bleeding) and haven't had a medieval relapse in about XII years.

Sweetness; blogtastic, as usual. Keep kickin' out the jams, MF!

Dingbat_Charlie
08-13-2007, 01:32 PM
another home run, KftB.

I unfortunately missed the Rock Show (any word of a replay?), but had a feeling I'd still enjoy Dear R&F and I wasn't disappointed.

Now I know Mr. B was only having some fun at DC's expense, but you cannot sleep on the Godfather of Go-Go.

http://www.washingtoninformer.com/wk%20of%20Sep%201/A1-ChuckBrown%209-1-05.JPG

Kathleen From The Bronx
08-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Preach the gospel, sista Thleen aus dem Bronx! However, before you go too far harshin' on the BJ that just keeps on givin' (Billy Joel), please be aware of his dark past as a prog-gnosticator of big, fat, ugly rock 'n' roll courtesy of his pre-fame band Attila.

http://www.cleavelin.net/archives001/attila.jpg

For those about to jack, that's an armor clad BJ on the right, back when his main job was shredding on the organ and killing Saracens.

A hilarious Julian Cope review of the album is here:

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/804

!

Hooolllleeee shit! I do believe I heard tale about this before...Totally banished it from my mind, I guess........Yeeesh! The, "BJ," that keeps on giving.... HAHAHA... Dude.

Here's a lil fun fact I like to blurt out at any given opportunity- I saw John Tesh on Conan O'Brian a couple of years ago...normally that sight would make me switch channels instantly... Tesh...but something that Tesh said caught my attention: His claim is that when he was in high school his "musical rival," was Billy Joel...Please take a moment to imagine just what kind of showdown these two could have- i just imagine something very Zoolandery. "Everybody! Down to the ol piano warehouse for a pompous piano rock battle..." Buncha sickos.....Ehh, whatever- for once Tesh fights for good?? Yeah... against that bug eyed fool....it's a scary day when Tesh appears to be in my ally...I guess I'll take that lumbering man.....against Joel... :0)

Kathleen From The Bronx
08-13-2007, 10:04 PM
another home run, KftB.

I unfortunately missed the Rock Show (any word of a replay?), but had a feeling I'd still enjoy Dear R&F and I wasn't disappointed.

Now I know Mr. B was only having some fun at DC's expense, but you cannot sleep on the Godfather of Go-Go.

http://www.washingtoninformer.com/wk%20of%20Sep%201/A1-ChuckBrown%209-1-05.JPG

OOOh... Chuck Brown, ya right.. on him we must not sleep! I saw him a few years ago at The 9:30 Club...... It was quite bad ass...

Thanks man :0)