You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Study suggests brain damage may have affected Benoit [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Study suggests brain damage may have affected Benoit

Kevin
09-05-2007, 02:37 PM
Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3005520)

ATLANTA -- Pro wrestler Chris Benoit suffered brain damage from his years in the ring that could help explain why he killed his wife, son and himself, a doctor who studied Benoit's brain said Wednesday.

More from ABCNews.com
Tests on Chris Benoit's brain, conducted by Julian Bailes of the Sports Legacy Institute, show that Benoit's brain was severely damaged and may help explain the killing of his wife and son and his subsequent suicide. ABCNews.com has detailed coverage. Story

The analysis by doctors affiliated with the Sports Legacy Institute suggests repeated concussions could have contributed to the killings at Benoit's suburban Atlanta home..

That explains alot..

ralphbxny
09-06-2007, 07:11 AM
No Shock there.

King Hippos Bandaid
09-06-2007, 08:24 AM
I understand this, but Steve Young, has many a Concussion, and hasnt killed his Family..

Yet

:king:

MrPink
09-06-2007, 08:43 AM
I thought it was because his wife and kid talked too much. I have a hard time believing that getting hit in the head a lot will cause someone to kill their family.

BoondockSaint
09-06-2007, 09:05 AM
A few ex-NFL players have committed suicide and they think it may have been because of brain damage from concussions that lead to depression.

EliSnow
09-06-2007, 09:16 AM
A teammate of mine in college had to quit football because he got too many concussions, and repeated concussions can cause brain damage.

And it's pretty well accepted that in some cases brain damage has caused people's personality to change, making the person more hostile and aggressive.

So it's not outside the realm of possibility.

FUNKMAN
09-06-2007, 10:09 AM
i thought he just got upset because he found out wrestling was fake?

TheMojoPin
09-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Head injuries and medical conditions can do weird things to people's personalities and mindsets. In several psych classes I've read about traumatic head injuries where the person survived and was still fully functional, but those around them said their personalities were very different, and typically very quick to anger or depression.

I believe the guy that sniped the University of Texas back in the 60's was found to have an advanced brain tumor that many believe could have "driven" him to do what he did.

The Silencer
09-06-2007, 10:56 AM
i agree with Ronnie B today...he was saying how if you have an urge to kill someone in your mind, and you tell someone, its not illegal...if you say that you feel like you want to kill someone, a hospital can take care of that!

DarkHippie
09-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Head injuries and medical conditions can do weird things to people's personalities and mindsets. In several psych classes I've read about traumatic head injuries where the person survived and was still fully functional, but those around them said their personalities were very different, and typically very quick to anger or depression.

I believe the guy that sniped the University of Texas back in the 60's was found to have an advanced brain tumor that many believe could have "driven" him to do what he did.

QFT ! I work with TBI (traumatic brain injury) people everyday. In many case the effect is very subtle--loss of impulse control, emotional instaility, inability to tell hold a moral compass. It does surprise me at all that concussions, which are technically a minor traumatic brain injury, would cause this.

JPMNICK
09-06-2007, 12:26 PM
QFT ! I work with TBI (traumatic brain injury) people everyday. In many case the effect is very subtle--loss of impulse control, emotional instaility, inability to tell hold a moral compass. It does surprise me at all that concussions, which are technically a minor traumatic brain injury, would cause this.

what if he had a lot of concussions, does that make a difference? and do you think the severity of the concussions matters?

TheMojoPin
09-06-2007, 12:29 PM
what if he had a lot of concussions, does that make a difference? and do you think the severity of the concussions matters?

I think it probably varies from person to person, especially given how little we ultimately know about how the brain works in making us who we are.

torker
09-06-2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.extrememortman.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/Young%20Frankenstein.jpg

dragon
09-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Couldn't have anything to do with the mass quantities of drugs & steroids:flush: he was taking, could it ?

Earlshog
09-06-2007, 05:04 PM
Couldn't have anything to do with the mass quantities of drugs & steroids:flush: he was taking, could it ?

His father is on Larry King now