You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
9/10/07 Tastykakes for the Brain: I Geeked [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : 9/10/07 Tastykakes for the Brain: I Geeked

Kathleen From The Bronx
09-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Dear Ron and Fez Shooow,

Ya know... sometimes I do not even know where to start..... Such a great show... What fantastic guests... Where to begin?!?!!? I'm trying here to suppress all urges to run right up to you, bounding off the bus like your four year old after a field trip.... all with arms flailing, blurting out, "And then...and then... and then...and then!!!" Come on baby, some decorum......Well, I'll try.... Today's show was really excellent. I feel like I should send roses to your dressing room, or a lifetime supply of Tastykakes....

When Ron said he couldn't be more excited about this conversation that was gonna go down with a certain guest who was set to come in....too full of anticipation to even mention his name...my mind raced with, "Who!??? Who is it gonna be??" There was no question that I'd enjoy this exchange...I just really had no idea how sooo very much!

As Ron announced him, listing off his varied roles.....from a small part in Hannah and Her Sisters, and... To Live and Die in L.A... and.....Do The Right Thing...... Miller's Crossing..... Barton Fink...... I yelled, "Holy shit!! John Turturro?!!??! I LOVE John Turturro!!!!"

I yelled it aloud as I figured it out....though only my walls could hear it...and though only the wicker furniture could see how utterly geeked I became...bouncing around the room. It really was only a little bit over two weeks ago yez remarked that he is one of the greatest actors we have in America... and I agreed and agreed....Shit, I concur based simply on Coen Brothers' films alone!!! ..He would say later in a story about them that their mother said to him, "I don't know where the boys get these ideas...." I know Mama Cohen, they rule! Hot damn, John Turturro? That's fuckin cool!

It all suddenly made extra sense to me why the show opened up today with a favorite Big Lebowski clip featuring Jesus..."Let me tell you something, pendejo... Jou pull any of your crazy shit with us, jou flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from jou, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes 'click!!'......You said it, man. Nobody fucks with the Jesus!!!" Yeaaah boyeee... that's me all puttin them puzzle pieces together way afta tha fact..................

Before Turturro even spoke a word, he laughed into the mic at something that Ron said when he introduced him.... At that precise moment I pictured laughing- John-Turturro-face, from so many films that I love.... and I couldn't help thinking, "Oh man, they are sittin there with John Turturro....." and that concept made me happy just directly! Ron and Fez, and John Turturro....

I said that I was I feeling all amped up about it, and I was.....and in no time at all, that response was transformed into a whole other vibe...I went from so blissfully charged to utterly engrossed, and impressed as well....

I feel like there's just something about the way that Ronnie B. conducts and interview that really draws out what the guest finds to be important...The questions must be so different and not run-of-the-mill, that it must be surprising sometimes for em....I just imagine they must dig it so much.... just to rap..... The conversation just flows.... It just rolls.....Turturro addressed the idea of humanity multiple times today in this interview. It seemed as thought that is his focus... I guess that's not so surprising... He's been able to express the humanity in so many of his roles...from humorous to bereft..... and from shy to psychotic... I mean, he has covered em all...

So when he was talking about the film he wrote and directed, Romance and Cigarettes, and how it touched on so many aspects of the human experience... I found myself so absolutely excited to want to go out and see it. He described it as, "Charles Bukowski collaborating with Bruce Springsteen and James Brown..." Do I need to repeat that I AM IN!??? I'm in.....

It's supposed to be this, "working-class musical," based on the emotional soundtracks of the character's lives.... We all have them.... I just so dig that concept. We all have our own private soundtracks corresponding to the events in our lives...from the extreme to the mundane...I think that we all do. I do. It's as he said, it all takes place, "in the kitchen, in the basement, on the street...growing up....and as adults...." There are these emotional soundtracks that complement major and minor events in our lives..... I know that I have them......I've thought about it before..... I know that if I'm in a hurry the song, Father Christmas, by The Kinks will play in my head... not the lyrics, just the music.... I am not sure why........ maybe I was rushing off somewhere around Christmastime when it got planted there.....and so now it's like triggered when I'm pickin up the pace.... playing in my head......Dahhh dah dah dah dadadada dahhhh da dahhhh.....

Music is powerful like that. A certain song can bring you right back to a place in time; an experience... A song that one may even being hearing for the first time...ever...can awaken a memory unexpectedly. It's like that........

I can remember playing kickball in the courtyard between the three buildings, where I grew up, and how for some reason my friends' little brother, Frankie, would repeat the lines, "Shout, shout, let it all out," as he was running our made-up bases...Tears For Fears?? Erg! How odd......I don't particularly want that in my movie scene, but really nothing else would fit...... If I hear that Dire Straits' song, Money For Nothing, I can can instantly recall it blaring out of the second floor window over the same courtyard as I was sittin on the stoop back then, eatin an Italian ice and watching the buses, wondering , "Why do they get money for nothing and chicks for free from moving refrigerators and color T.V.s?" and, "I wonder when we're gonna finally get a microwave oven... My God.... We could make nachos all the time!!" as Celia Cruz salsa music also poured out of the bodega on the corner. I don't know, but it's part of my movie......

It's like, you don't have to necessarily LIKE the song for it to be perfect for your movie....Under the Sea, from Disney's The Little Mermaid would be playin from our VCR when we finally DID get a microwave and it was New Year's Eve day, in front of the T.V. watching that movie with my baby brother on my lap.....eatin nachos......

I would not say that I am a huge Sinead O'Connor fan, but if I hear her song, Nothing Compares 2 U, the scene that springs to mind is hearing it played in Sal's Pizza across the street from my building one Summer day......Waaay too hot to be up in the park, I'd sit there with the baby brother as he acted like he was playin Street Fighter II, smacking every button... I'd just keep putting quarters in...and Sal and his son would say to him, bein only like two and a half, " 'eeey you gonna work for me?? You gonna make the pizza??" and I would laugh at that every time, just like I would when Sal of years before would say the same thing to me ,when I was still a little kid after kindergarten goin there with my moms.... My moms was good like that with after-school snacks... So if I hear that one song.... it brings back alla that....

My little baby brother and I would hang there for hours just for the A.C.....and that was the same Summer that some mean old woman called me, "whooore," cause she thought my little brother was MY baby... You know all that hysteria about, "babies havin babies," in the 80's.....That mean old lady said that to me in front of St. Brendan's... a church!!! Nice goin wicked crone...Helllllo.... God is right there in that church built in the shape of a ship...He heard YOU!!! Seriously... I don't know what the deal was zactly... I guess St. Brendan is the patron saint of sailors....but... the church looks like a boat.. kinda.....ehh....

She said that the same day that two nice old men gave me coupons for McDonald's....I guess now, cause they ALSO thought that my two year old brother was my baby too...tryin to help....That young mother needs to buy that baby of her's a half priced egg McMuffin...Ahhh Ron and Fez Show.... You've known me long enough that I've told you all that sorted tale before! Well, that's what I think of if I hear that song from that particular Summer.......How when I was a teenager my mother wouldn't let me leave the house without a toddler..... for protection??...Crazy...and how peoples' reactions ensued...all in my memory to the tune of, Nothing Compares 2 U, while rockin tragically feathered bangs...and..acid-washed jeans.....I'm tellin you, that look ended after the summer of 90 when I turned thirteen, before you try to mock me or some shit!!

Why do all the musical musical movie memories of my life involve melted cheese??!?! I just kinda realized that! Nachos....pizza.....McMuffins..... I guess that it could explain quite a lot. Really, I have other memories! My movie might show what it feels like to be all in love with this guy, driving along in his orange VW bus listening to The Allman Brothers singin, "Blue Sky," on a perfect sunny day, on the last day of school, on the way to Great Falls.....where we'd sit on the rocks and talk about everything EXCEPT that we dug each other.......Oh SHIT! BUT NO! No, not really! Cause that night we also ate lasagna! More cheese......cheese... but it would also lead to how every great thing in my life that has happened, every day after that day and so many more songs that relate to it...... Shit! I'm still starting to get pissed that all my memories musical or otherwise can be linked to cheese! Ahhhhhhh fergetit! Let's get back to Turturro! I was just sayin that I really dug that image of your life and experiences being linked to music...

There was so much more to the whole conversation than that though... Gaaahdammmit, this would be the perfect time to talk about the other great interview from today too- the Jeff Garlin interview, when he was promoting his new film coming out called, I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With, and how I dug that interview too..... I just want someone to ceaselessly talk about the Ron and Fez Show from today with and how everything in my life eerily relates back to cheese! AHHHHHHH! Memories of Melted Cheese might be my biopic..... I'm sure someone would somehow crowbar music from Primus' Sailing on Seas of Cheese into it for the soundtrack..during some grungey phase??? But let's just talk about John Turturro a couple seconds more, OK?

I just so dug how John Turturro really came off like a person who really thinks about things, tries to understand reactions to the challenges of life... After Ron brought up the point that so many films today are not made for adults....They are aimed at kids and, "people who have not had any experiences in life," Turturro responded to the effect that such films provide easy answers..."The more answers you get, the more lost you become....In real life there aren't so many answers....It's about how you respond to the questions.... how you deal with the questions..."

I mean... Ron and Fez Show.... there was tons of profound shit like that from that interview!! In reference to Romance and Cigarettes, Turturro again related to his ideas about life... and music... and everything...."Life starts out as a big band," you are influenced by so much around you...and your life ends, "so austere....as if you are singing a capella."...without accompaniment... Damn, though isn't that true?? It's like poetry, that! And when he talked about how he came up with the name for the film so many years ago when he first started workin on it, after talkin to his father towards the end of his life... The things that he'd done, the times he regretted, his father kinda laughing, "A man should be able to smoke... be romantic...." Man....

Hey! You know what else made me happy..??? When the interview was over and you gave Romance and Cigarettes one more plug, as you were goin to commercial, right before you were gone, and he prolly thought you were off-air, I heard John Turturro say to yez, "That was terrific!" I know it was John Turturro! I thought so too!!!

Look RnF, I know there's a good chance that I'm an emotional wreck, but there were so many points that I took from just that interview... I could have cried... I almost did......between thinking thoughts of appreciation, like, "Damn, now THIS guy is no schmuck! He reeeeaally tries to understand life...He really tries to get it," to instantly relating to memories of my own...Man, I loved it....and it really bothers me that I'm not conveying that enough! I am for real certain that this kind of interview would not occur anywhere else.......cause this is the kind of show that you guys throw down....... There's so much funny, there's so much relatable......there's so much that channels all conditions of humanity...... Awww man that Turturro interview was simply beautiful to me as is this show of yours.....

And then, and then, and then..........

I could go on and on about it for hours and hours more... but this lengthy tome it too long as it is and I still have not yet to agree about the glories of Tastykakes, or my love for the movie, Marty, and how I'm so glad that Jeff Garlin's, I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With, is available on my IFC On Demand so I can watch it tomorrow and love it, and another thing about that Turturro interview that I dug was knowing that in certain scenes of Barton Fink at the typewriter, he had actually started typing up his ideas for what would become this latest film that he is promoting.... How fuckin cool is that to now know.....and then, and then, and then.... how Ronnie really was so fuckin right on when he compared the XM listeners at the taping of the Brian Regan Unmasked on Sunday to, "people showing up dressed for a costume party when going to church," in comparison to the Brian Regan fans who flooded the event.......Ron said they were, "the nicest, sweetest, most normal people," so much so that he was, "taken aback in horror!" HAHAHHA.... Dude... Fezzie said, "Sure....when you are surrounded by the Charles in Charge Family," to which Ronnie responded, "The Charles in Charge family are The Ramones compared to these people!!!" Man that made me cackle.....

I better let you guys go........ but I just want you to know that I dug today's show so much...... Thanks for that.... It really was Tastykakes for the Brain....... which I would totally title my book about today's show if I kept writing and writing....... I don't think the, Chicken Soup For the Soul people would sue me for latching onto their titley gimmick.... afterall... I never heard of them attacking the pretty blatant bite that was, Chicken Poop For the Soul!!! Hmmmm....

OK then, peace out homies.......

Signed,

kathleen from the bronx :):):)

moochcassidy
09-10-2007, 11:43 PM
OUT fucking STANDING ole gal

thats the best blog yet right there

:clap:

drjoek
09-11-2007, 04:00 AM
The Show was great the blog is great too

Luv ya Kathleen:thumbup:

drusilla
09-11-2007, 06:30 AM
Cheese???!!??!!!!! Ewwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!11

buzzard
09-11-2007, 07:05 AM
I liked that better than...mushrooms & cheeks! Kathleen, you do indeed paint the imagination.:clap:

Dingbat_Charlie
09-11-2007, 07:26 AM
great job KftB. I don't know how you do it.

I went thru a Barton Fink obsession in the 90's, long before I knew who the Coen Brothers were. All those scenes of him typing - I love the idea that he was really trying to write something. It just fits as something he'd do.

cbearnm
09-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Great thoughts. I've been a lurker for a while and have always enjoyed these.

I was listening to the replay last night and can't remember if it was during the Garlin or Tuturro interview, but they were mentioning various movies from the past that were dark, but in a light way (??).

Anyone have an idea of which movie(s) they were talking about. There was one that really caught my attention,seems like it was bout a shclub type guy. But of course, when I woke up, it was gone from my mind.

Ay Kay Forty2
09-11-2007, 11:08 AM
what a great letter, Kathleen!!

It great how you relate stuff to the show with your own life and somehow the themes of the show relate to you. Like Cheese and Music. Cheese being from the Jeff Garlin interview and Music from Turturro. It's like you throw everything about the show in the microwave and nuked it to get this nice oozing goodness.

Gvac
09-11-2007, 12:18 PM
How fucking awesome is Katie?

I love that blog almost as much as I love her and Bri Bri.

Seriously, amazing stuff.

Kathleen From The Bronx
09-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Cheese???!!??!!!!! Ewwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!11

HAHAHAHHAHHA..... Yo, last night when I posted this... I so thought of ya, after all my talk of cheese, and said to myself, "That drusilla ain't gonna feel comfortable with this AT ALL!!!" :0)

I was listening to the replay last night and can't remember if it was during the Garlin or Tuturro interview, but they were mentioning various movies from the past that were dark, but in a light way (??).

Anyone have an idea of which movie(s) they were talking about. There was one that really caught my attention,seems like it was bout a shclub type guy. But of course, when I woke up, it was gone from my mind.

I believe it came up during the Jeff Garlin interview, they referenced Marty.... It came out in 1955 and won many Oscars......I LOVE that movie... It's such a sweet film about this lonely butcher in the Bronx, played by Ernest Borgnine, who at this point in his life has kinda given up on finding love..... and then he meets this school teacher..... and she's also lonely and afraid..... both of em full of doubts..... Awwww dude, see it.... It's just lovely!! I do believe that's the movie you were wondering about!

Thanks so much for the kindness everybody :0) I'm always so happy to hear what yez think...!!!!! AND though it's redundant to say it again.... I really appreciate you checking them out!!!!!!!!!!!

cbearnm
09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Awsome recall, that's exactly what I was thinking about.

Ron has such great recall for so many movies that are just not discussed enough. He better be careful or they will be recruiting him to do a movie show every week.

Thanks, KiB, your entries are always entertaining and the stream of conscience is interesting as well. Keep it up.

rexdart
09-16-2007, 02:53 PM
Didn't Johnny T also do a little thing called "ToeJam for the Foot Fetishist?" Its a lot like the chicken soup for the soul series, but oriented toward the niche market of foot fetishists. Maybe I'm thinking of the Barefoot Contessa instead. I love it when she clips her toenails while waiting for the soup to come to a simmer. Are those really onions in the soup?

Earl, do we have any French Onion Soup? Im Starving.