You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
9/19/07 No Sleep Till Brooklyn: Day One [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : 9/19/07 No Sleep Till Brooklyn: Day One

Kathleen From The Bronx
09-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Dear Ron and Fez Shooow,

Dr. Bennington, we here at Ron and Fez Laboratories have had much to discuss today regarding your research on the effects of sleep deprivation on radio show hosts and producers...... Your findings were fascinating! As I sit here composing today's radio-lab report, thus far we have hypothesized that the withholding of sleep resulted in not only increased loopiness, but also brought about an extra great, funny show. Bennington posed that this study was conducted as an, "experiment to see if everyone could get out of their own way...."

Some remarkable discoveries surfaced today, as consequences of the lack of sleep for all participants seemed so accelerated as opposed to in previous analysis. Such manifestations are not usually observed until days three through ten...and this was only day one!!! "Day one, this is just day one!!!" we all ran around cheering while waving our notes in the air! "Day one!!!!" Hallucinations, paranoia,senseless speech, and irritability and heightened emotional states and have already been recorded....

Now that I mention these symptoms, I am reminded that most, if not all of them were evident immediately in one particular of those observed...That would be East Side Dave. Though this was the first of the days without sleep, he immediately contended that he had begun to witness hallucinations on the way to work....He claimed to have seen likenesses of, "Misteh B. and Misteh W.," on the street....He was mistaken of course...

Ronnie B., himself appeared certain that everyone had completed their task and had stayed awake through the night without a wink, stating, "I believe that everyone made it, the bad news is that Fez drinks girl drinks," because Dave had admitted that he had a Heineken with breakfast and Fez said, "Ew!" because his alcoholic breakfast drink would only be a mimosa... HAH! Ronnie pointed out that when he was growin up, you could go into a bar at 6 AM and see guys doin shots before they had to go off to work.... That made me laugh, cause yeah, me too...

Where I grew up in a stretch of about six block there were roughly thirteen bars and when I'd be on my way to the subway to get to school I'd see construction workers and my friends' fathers dippin in to start off the day.....I accredit this observation a bit to the fact that to this day the concept of waiting til five, or til at least after noon for a drink is quite foreign to me.... Yeah.. that's it..... THAT is why there is no wrong time to crack a beer..... It was childhood conditioning..... Uh huh..... Anyway, my drinking habits are not the subject of this study....so let's get back to the specifics here....

Though Ronnie B. was confident that Fez, Dave, Earl and Pitzy had all remained sleepless all night, Dave was quick to wildly accuse and point fingers. He basically asserted that just about everyone had cheated somehow and had grabbed a cat nap. Paranoia.....He screamed that he would swear to, "Mary Moses!" that they had all cheated while he alone had remained faithful to the experiment.... "Mary Moses?? " Senseless speech...Everyone pondered aloud, "do you mean Mary Magdalen?" "Well she was a disciple wasn't she??" he responded still confused....What does that have to do with Moses? OOoh, he meant a prophet, not a disciple it was soon deduced... but that still made no damn sense!

As a side note I'll tell you that, " I swear to Mary Moses," is now gonna be one of my favorite catchphrases.......

Later ESD irritably recounted the night before in which he told everyone of a evening of board games where HTG apparently had also cheated, though he claimed that she has, "fought nip and tuck," to defend her game play..... In our estimation, the subject, East Side Dave most likely was searching for the phrase, "to fight tooth and nail?" In other cases we here at the institute would deduce that his verbal flub could be attributed to fatigue and confusion.... but those findings must stand inconclusive as he has been known in the past to exhibit similar behavior even after a restful night of sleep....Evidence of this can be found in his past insistence in referring to his gullet, as his, "gulliver," and in formulating similes such as, "Criiisp as a crystal lake." Again, two favorites around here which we scientists have adopted for fun....

After this point, whenever East Side Dave fell into periods of nonsense rambling, Ron would commence to hitting the cowbell, as Dave entered, "the red zone." Interesting, interesting methods.....Another course of control was when Ron would enact Bill Russell hand-checks upon ESD......Funny! Effective..... They had spotted Bill Russell the day before, really, out eatin hamburger sammiches and Ron told Russell and his table that he was Billy Ray Cyrus..... I don't know what that had to do with science and everything, but my cackles echoed in our stark halls when he did....

Ron asked the sleep-deprived ones how long they had been awake at that point...most answered between 29 and 30 hours... When Ron claimed that he himself had been awake for only three after sleeping nine hours, "Nine DEEP hours," Fez with a tinge of desperation asked, "Is that great??? Is that the best???" after saying that the rest of them had stayed awake, "until the cowbells came home."

Soon after that, out of nowhere Dave demanded that he had something to say and proceeded to sing this haunting ditty, "My head hurts, my feet stink and I don't love Jesus!" in some kind of eerie Irish tenor voice..... He claimed it was a Jimmy Buffet song, but we here in the lab believe that it was more of an act of hysteria.... God, it sounded like one..... Even the most hardened of researchers yelped, "NOOooo!!!" and, "STOP!!!" When ESD said..."That's by Jimmy Buffet," Ron scientifically replied, "Yes, and I hate him!" That evidence is conclusive.

Seemingly out of nowhere Pitsy confessed that to stay awake he had eaten an entire block of cheese in the night..... We noted that this is quite similar to they way that our lab rats behave under similar circumstances...

Fezzie then began to report bout a study out of FSU stating that they human eye has a natural instinct that can spot a potential mate as well as a potential rival....but before he could get all of that out, Dr. Bennington led the rest of the group in a typical FSU Seminole chant that drowned out poor Fezzielou's article.... Again, a fascinating tactic..... Fezzie seemed unaffected at first, but as the chant grew louder he became a bit frustrated. Was this yet another effect of sleep deprivation?? In any case, the conversation shifted to the topic of whether or not another man could gage a rival, or if another man could tell if other men were attractive in the same way that a woman could.

Dave cited that he believed that Tom Brokaw was the most attractive man on Earth. Here at Ron and Fez Show Laboratories we gagged, but knew that we could not catalog this as confirmation of effects of lack of sleep.... as we have, again, in the past heard him say this when he was stone cold awake. Tom Brokaw, Eric Stolz, David Caruso......all of those cats have been referenced before as beautiful, out of the mouth of Dave..... Those notes have been forwarded to OTHER institutions......

The conversation rolled into discussion as to whether being pussy-whipped is a legitimate condition.... Ron believes it not...I dunno, I kind of agree... Most times it seems to be a construct of Everybody Loves Raymond and so many other sitcoms over the years...... As they all deliberated, "Mommy issues," arose. But was it tiredness that lead to East Side Dave chronicling in too much detail every time in his youth when he had accidentally stumbled upon his mother naked??? Dave stated that, "For the record he never wanted to f**k his mother," to which Fezzie yelled out with alarm, "WHO'S keeping this record!!?!" Not long after that outburst, Fezzie was about to have a breakthrough about his own mother issues after Ron figured that Fez had, "zero connection to reality," when just then ESD blurted out some crazy question about college, and then it all got shut down.... Sleep deprivation strikes again!!?? Ahhh shoot....

You may have noticed in this report that we have mentioned nothing about Black Earl Douglas... that is because, even though he too was the a subject in today's study... he seemed just about the same as always. All in all, today's study was quite revealing.... Some of us here in the scientific academy found it a bit curious that today's show ended in discussion about WWII and Nazi film propaganda, as sleep deprivation can be seen as a method of torture. When this was suggested I promptly lept from my chair and slapped every young researcher right in their faces...... I was like, "Listen!! Ron's just tryin to tell you about this new Ken Burns rockumentary, and about filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl!!!! All this sleep deprivation is pure science and attempts at team unity!!" Gahhd...Some people.....

You see, Ron and Fez Show..... as I am no stranger to sleeplessness, this study of yours is quite fascinating to me.... I have been an insomniac for long stretches over years and years, and though I have not had to struggle to TRY to stay awake, I have been quite interested in the effects of sleep deprivation. The longest that I have gone without sleep is three days....Up until this point the only data that I have been able to collect is my own... Fran Lebowitz once was quoted to say that, "Life is something that happens when you can't get to sleep." I present to you an excerpt of the ramblings of one night when life was happening to me, December 13, 2006, after three nights of no sleep:

"I am an insomniac and this is the stupidity that lack of sleep leaves me pondering.... It's a non-working nightcap of frequent, inane ideas and panicky life assessing...'What are you doing, what are you doing...I don't know what I'm doing...at all... Are you really going to watch videos of concert footage from shows that you wished you could have seen live... back in the day.........? Again..? Yeah.... You have a lot of changes to make you know....Man...I wonder if my turtle thinks I am God! You really need to quit smoking cigarettes...like tomorrow.... Yeah I know....What did you even do today???'

I ask my turtle, 'Does my face emerge as if through the clouds, as if through the clouds, as the face of God... in Monty Python and the Holy Grail? Answer me turtle, Am I your God? What do you make of this gigantic face who shows up to stare and watch you swim for a while...conveniently as Tetra-min turtle food rains down from the skies... like manna from heaven..... Flipping on the light as I enter the room, today the sun comes up for you turtle at 3:30 A.M....just cause I can do that sorta shit...and also God can't sleep....and is mighty bored....Gonna watch some TV....Booogity- booo turtle, this is the crazy shit that's happening to you today! What do you make of this, turtle? Is it a sign??? What does it mean!? Have you displeased me turtle?'

Sometimes when I'm catching an aloof vibe from this turtle, over my left shoulder I'll hurl a thinly veiled threat or two.... 'I'm not saying I want you dead Turtle... but when is enough, enough?' I have had this turtle seventeen years....since before I was a teenager....and we are STILL strangers... Where is the love? 'You know Felix Unger,' I say to him... for that is his God given name, 'I'm sure you THINK you'd love to be one of those country turtles slowly frolicking in a pond hidden deep in the woods...but I'm here to tell you turtle, the country life will eat you alive....and ya heard it here first!' Yeah... there is no release-into-the-wild situation happening.... This turtle would take two steps out of the house and get snatched up by the neck by a swooping-down hawk... 'Ya got it good here Turtle....It wouldn't kill you to show a little appreciation now and then...'

So sometimes at night there is too much time donated to personifying reptiles...complete with God concepts and judging blinking, blinking eyes.... in the middle of the night.... It's just stupid. Sometimes when I'm wide awake as the rest of the world lays sleeping I'll read a book that I love...that I go back to again and again...and think again and again...'HOW did they DO this? Where does that come from?' Chief Broom's face came to Kesey while deep in peyote.....was Chief Broom there all along in his mind since forever and just needed that push to be let out....all the personalities and conversations and imagery that poured out all over..... Where is my great idea?

I sit and I'll think about some of the poems of Bukowski... and I'll try to write... and I'll end up with something in the next morning's light.... that is completely and utterly useless....

Maybe it's a poem about the scared, green-leaved face of a monkey that the shadows made...lights reflecting in the driving rain:

In the shadows cast from the streetlight's beams...
I saw the terrified face of a monkey in the dark green leaves...
Holding on for dear life to the limbs of a tree...
...in the pelting rain and whipping winds...
Clutching monkey claws dig in.....

I try to avoid late night poetry at all cost now....No good can come of night poetry..... To read some of those poems the next day makes me want to go egg my own house....

'The horror...the horror....'

....... and speaking of that..... It does kind of worry me that there is some kind of descent into madness happening here... The bad poetry seems proof..... Sometimes it's too Colonel Kurtz in the jungle.....all up in the heart of darkness.....

I dunno, it just reminds me.... All rambling....and strange...of Kurtz and his dreams as he relates....

'I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor......That's my dream..... That's my nightmare.... Crawling....slithering along the edge....of a straight.....razor... AND surviving...'

Except I'm not dreaming cause I can't sleep.... and I'm writing shit down.... and it worries me a little..... as I've already started considering plans that involve jungle dwellers.....

It's odd and i don't know why I continue to do this....Sometimes I will look out, now and then, at night...out for smoke...or whatever..... I will search the tree for the monkey face... but I haven't seen him again..."

You see what I'm sayin Ron and Fez Show???? That is madness, sheer madness full of delusions, irritability and fear!!! That was after three days for me, and the madness on your show has already begun after one night of no sleep for the crew.... I have read elsewhere in The Psychiatric Times...... Yeah..so what??? I read The Psychiatric Times...How else can I diagnose myself constantly??

... I have read there about a radio host from the late 50's who stayed awake for eleven days....This guy named Peter Tripp, durin the course of his ordeal trying to raise funds for The March of Dimes, had his thoughts become increasingly distorted and irrational....hallucinating at one point that the spots on the table were insects and spiders crawling all over him in the booth...He became increasingly paranoid believing that every one around him were undertakers getting ready to bury him alive.... He ended up not being able to distinguish between nightmare and reality......That was after eleven days as I have mentioned..... but at the rapid rate of disorientation after only one day of your experiment on the show, I can imagine all this coming down the pike sooner rather than later!!

I couldn't believe it when they all agreed to stay up another night! A certain drunkenness and lack of inhibition seems to flood over people suffering from lack of rest.... and just like inebriation, sleep deprivation can often induce crazy behavior......crazy funny behavior as it turns out..... After today's show, I cannot wait to see what comes next! Whatever comes next....

This concludes my radio-lab report for today..... I'm sure that tomorrow's show will result in more innovative findings.... but don't worry, all the lab bullshit was just today's gimmick.... I'll write normal tomorrow! ....Now I'm gonna go rip some tubes while listening to Coolio and Cyprus Hill...... Dave really has us people pegged! Great show homeslices-

Signed,

kathleen from the bronx :):):)

Poochie
09-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Best one yet Kathleen! :clap:

Slumbag
09-20-2007, 02:18 AM
That was really, a hilarious and fun read.
Very well done!!!!

Miguel Bastardo
09-20-2007, 03:43 AM
"She is the Turtle Queen...She can do Anytheeng."

Lurkin McWeirdo
09-20-2007, 04:12 AM
Get some sleep, do you ever rest? Great Blog :thumbdown::glurps::innocent::thumbdown:

drjoek
09-20-2007, 04:53 AM
Thanks Kathleen
Another awesome job.The way you can pick the right notes is spot on right down to the tiniest detail is remakable.

Freakshow
09-20-2007, 07:24 AM
I don't think I ever saw--What did you name your turtle????

AlabamaHayseed
09-20-2007, 08:00 AM
excellent:clap:

Miguel Bastardo
09-20-2007, 08:44 AM

His name is Felix Unger! His name is Felix Unger!

buzzard
09-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Good Lord Bronxy,yer one inspired pen! you always put the icing on the R&F cake.Thank-You for being!:clap:

moochcassidy
09-20-2007, 12:50 PM
ive written my own one word review-

Horsesense

Leticia
09-20-2007, 03:02 PM
This was amazing.

:clap:

Kathleen From The Bronx
09-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Best one yet Kathleen! :clap:

That was really, a hilarious and fun read.
Very well done!!!!

Thaaaank youse!!!!! Really, nice.....Thank you so much fer checkin em out :0)

"She is the Turtle Queen...She can do Anytheeng."
OOOooh! My ole buddy... wanna thumbwrestle??? Yeah, I'm STILL not droppin that ole gimmick...
Get some sleep, do you ever rest? Great Blog :thumbdown::glurps::innocent::thumbdown:
:wub::wub::wub:
Thanks Kathleen
Another awesome job.The way you can pick the right notes is spot on right down to the tiniest detail is remakable.
Always too kind to me! Thank you buddy....

My chinchilla named Pepperjack salutes you!!! :0)
excellent:clap:
Thank you man... Yer my favortite Alabamian ever.... That includes Jim Nabors!! I KNOW!! feel good about it..... Aiiight... for real, thanks for always being so nice :0) I appreciate!!!! Ya know it....

Good Lord Bronxy,yer one inspired pen! you always put the icing on the R&F cake.Thank-You for being!:clap:
Ya always too good to me tooo.... Thanks fer buzzin....buzzard :0) For reals...

ive written my own one word review-

Horsesense

That's the miracle of Senor Moochiebananas....It's not just the post..it's this man.....It's the compassion, it's the dignity, it's the wisdom.....it's THE HORSESENSE or the guy... :0)

This was amazing.

:clap:

Ahhh it's me friendly neighborhood Leticia!!! Hey, guess what, gorillas live in my butt :0)
Thanks so much lady..... Thanks for that :0)

Sorry to be all loopy wit the responses.... I just want yez to know that I really am grateful for all the kind words... Thank you, thank you, thank yousss...... Thanks for all the niceness :0) :wub:

zildjian361
09-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Red greatest song about Bklyn ever, luv your rap ,check out my wresting fantasy :smoke::drunk::innocent:

rexdart
09-23-2007, 04:49 PM
I understand insomnia completely. There have been many nights that I lie awake counting the minutes until i have to get back up for work.

I have discovered an effective hollistic insomnia treatment however. I've found that the exertion of raping and killing an ethnic hooker is enough to allow me to sleep. Once the body is cold, I can drift right off to sleep. And like Ronnie B, the sleep is deep and refreshing. I sleep the sleep of an irish baby having drunk a bottle of gerber vodka for toddlers.

East Side Odepus is a little more disturbing. I lie awake wondering if Beanie's nips really are fantastic. I wanted Ronnie B to ask what they tasted like. Lemons? Butterscotch? Cheap Whiskey and razor burn? Corned beef and old potatoes?

If anyone has a picture of Beanie's swollen nipples that they could post, I would be really appreciative.