You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
10/18/07 Bonfire Ramblings [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : 10/18/07 Bonfire Ramblings

Kathleen From The Bronx
10-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Dear Ron and Fez Shooow,

Hey...sooooo.... looks like my prediction for today's opening song was incorrect.... So I was wrong, let's not make a big deal out of it! Escape...The Pina Colada song... Touche Big Cat, touche..... It occurs to me that maybe yesterday I was too self-congratulatory in figuring out the opening songs' pattern....too glib! And ya just couldn't take it could ya? Yeah, I still think that you were REALLY gonna play some Terry Jacks, but perhaps you read yesterday's novel that I wrote to you and changed it up....Heh.... I betcha....Bet yer boots... Yup, welcome to a taste of the paranoia and delusional braggadocio sandwich which is my mind.......That's what I think.... Ya just chose The Pina Colada song to blow up my hypothesis....Disturbing!

So anyway that song! Barf-o-rama...of course I have a memory associated with it..... Are you wondering why?? Why in God's holy name do I want to talk about that insipid tune....when it so clearly sucks? I already told you, at times the most triflin, corniest things in existence amuse and inspire me..... Not always... Sometimes they fill me with rage to the point that I'll scream, "Those cornball antics might play in the sticks, but this is Capital City!!!!" When I take a conniption fit, of course I quote from Simpsons episodes..... I also cite The Simpsons when I am just-a overflowin with jubilation.... like when we're heading outta this half-water burg.... I'll roll down the windows and whoop at the top of my lungs, "SO LONG STINK-TOWN!!!!!!!!" just like Homer....... Unfortunately, in the midst of my excitement in gettin outta here, I seem to forget that I must one day return... So when I come back I am obliged to sheepishly mumble, "Yeah.....'sup Stink Town.... erm... back..... yeah." That's not a Simpson's quote there..... Ahem...

You know what plays in the sticks?? The Pina Colada song....sung by a man named Rupert. If I had a pet rabbit I'd name him Rupert...Rupert the rabbit.... OOh I will never own a rabbit...nor do I want to... I'm just sayin stupid shit again... Rupert is a rabbity name though, let's just agree on that. What the hell would I do with a rabbit??? Grow resentful of it, is what I imagine..... and maybe I'd be like Fezzielou..... I'd look 'im dead in the eye, and like he growled at Skippi, I too would say, "Ya know... I DON'T like you!" I dunno why that made me cackle so, but it did.....

Rabbits aren't cats though, and dumb ass little Rupert wouldn't even know to be offended and would probably just twitch his dumb little rabbit nose at me and continue to smugly gnaw on a carrot.... That little jerk.... You know what I'd do to show him; to teach him a lesson??? I'd re-enact that Looney Toons scene, from the episode entitled, "Shishkabugs." The royal chef, Yosemite Sam would chase him around in attempts to boil Bugs in a bubblin pot as the king commandingly bellows, "WHARE'S MY HASSENPFEFFER!!!?!" The only part in which I'll stray from the cartoonish plot line is that Rupert ain't no wiley ole Bugs..... He ain't gettin away.... (maniacal laugh)....Ohhh I guess that little plot twist turns this tale into more of a Fatal Attraction scenario than that of a cartoon..Hmm.... Ahem....

So, more than several years ago we were heading back from one of our great Memorial Day weekends at Brian's grandma's up in Jersey, "down the shore..." Had the radio on some South Jersey station that was doing a top 100 requested songs kinda deal...... played some Springsteen tunes that my memory bank has not retained but what I do recall is that when they reached the #1 requested song for that weekend.... as we drove down Buckshutem Road.... we were pretty fuckin shocked to hear them announce that it was, "Escape...The Pina Colada Song!"...by popular demand....

We were just like, "WHAT THE HELL??? Who is still listening to this song in 1999??!" Listening to the lyrics: "If you like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain....If you're not into yoga, if you have half a brain.....If you'd like making love at midnight in the dunes on the Cape....Then I'm the love that you've looked for, write to me and escape," it occurred to me then, that this doofus in the song was pretty lucky that it was, "his own lovely ladaaay," who showed up......

Who knows what kinda mess mighta dragged herself into that bar there according to those specifics??! Who would have penned a personal ad like that?! He might've found himself on a date with some damp, inflexible, hagged-out, girl-drink drunk covered...all covered in sand fleas... Scrumpin' in the dunes ain't exactly the treat that it sounds like.... Anyway.... It occurs to me today after hearing this song, and the show today and remembering that New Jersey- even in '99 was still lovin that song...... No wonder 50% of those polled want to get the hell outski! That has to be at least part of the reason...

You guys were talkin about this poll that was released by Monmouth University/Gannett which found that 50% of all those polled in New Jersey would rather live somewhere else.... Damn! That ain't gonna help that New Jersey image that people so love to crack on.... East Side Dave, the Jersey boy seemed very upset by this....sputtering out, "Great Adventure....Rutgers...." as Ronnie B., responded, "Well, they say that they were born to run, but they just can't afford to right now." Ahhh.... The Boss.... heeheee.... Lemme just ask yez a question.... How come every time Dave tries to defend New Jersey, Great Adventure and Rutgers come up?? I always laugh cause I know he's gonna reference them.... and it's crazy! Speaking as a gal who enjoys laughing at New Jersey as much as the next person, even I know that there are better examples for reasons to stay and love the Garden State! Scream about beaches and tomatoes and specific-to-the-region breakfast meats! Ya been to Great Adventure lately? It ain't that great..... Ohhh it's all as insane as if I still lived in the Bronx and I was constantly yelling, "You know we got this Zoooo, huh???!" Oh...my God...I think I might do that when I get drunk.... OK, OK.... forget all this...... Heh....keep on movin...

Anyway, all that Rutgers love outta Dave generated a bet....a bet between The Big Cat and him.....and now it has ME keepin one eyeball on the Rutgers-SFU game tonight as I type....to see which one of em is gonna end up in a coffin tomorrow. That makes it sound even more dramatic... "Win OR DIE!!!!" You will be executed..... Ugh... I dunno man... Yez left it up to the callers to vote on whether the loser would have to spend tomorrows entire show in a duct-taped coffin or the entire tweekend in a mental health institution....or what Ronnie said that he wanted to have happen to Fez which was, "I want two horses ridden by monkeys to come up from behind and throw a net over you and drag you to a cave...." I think that personally I'd choose the last choice over the other two..... I'm pretty much terrified of those first two options... Not that I couldn't use some psychiatry....but as Dave and Fezzie said, they feared that if they were admitted they'd never be released..... Wooo....Me too!

I figure once they got me in there, that's the end of the story..... "There, there, ole gal.... put on your slippers and sit by the window in that rocker.." Off My Rocker, in a Rocker....I just decided that will be the cleverly ironic title of my account of that time.....Now you know there is no hope for me...as bad ideas are certainly a sign of terrible mental illness..... Dave said, "I don't want anyone touching my brain, Mr. Bennington." Ronnie countered, "You'd be lucky if they could find it."

Well, it was decided that it would be a coffin bet..... That just freaks me the fuck out.... I am so claustrophobic.... It seems like everyone I know is! For real... Just the thought of being trapped like that makes me panic to imagine it...I'm kicking now... If I too vividly picture it...as I did this afternoon....I could easily get myself to a state where I'd hyperventilate......I could cry.... I've told yez before that I can't even deal with a blanket being held tightly over my head......while I'm being thrown into the trunk of a car.

I'm not tryin to seem like I'm all, "Dave get in that coffin!!" over here..... but I really, really don't want The Big Cat in a casket... I mean obviously I never want that.... but not even for a few hours tomorrow..... This game is drivin me, "Captain Insane-O," as Fezzie would say...Since when do I get so wrapped up in some lunatic College Football game?? ...... I'm gonna stop talking about this..... I'll stop talking about horrifying outcomes and harrowing consequences..... and New Jersey's favorite bad music that I laugh at..... You know what we're gonna talk about..... Great music by people I love.......

Joe Strummer was the man.....After hearing Julien Temple on the show today talkin about his Strummer docu...no....rockumentary, The Future is Unwritten, I found myself just so geeked to go out and see it....whenever it finds its way down here.. After hearing the interview I kinda had the same restless antsy feeling that I get when I hear about tickets goin on sale for some band's show....that I really wanna go to.... Aw, hard to splain...just pretty excited to see it.... I really loved the interview... loved hearing Ronnie talk to this cat about Joe Strummer....

You know what really got me was when yez were discussing how so much of the documentary is told in Joe's voice...."pieced together like quilt-work," serving as narration...almost as though he was telling his own story thorough these bits of saved spontaneous conversations....... How great is that? I love it already...... I loved it too how during the interview Ron brought up that so many in the film who spoke of Joe Strummer did so around campfires....casually.... such a different experience than being in front of a mic.....on a set... or something like that...... I loved the idea of that too.....

Then I was thinking, when I reflect on so many of the great interviews like this one that I dug today... and so many others.... and the Unmaskeds..... I always say of them that they are not so much like interviews in the traditional sense.... to me they always seem more like flowy conversations.....like those you might have while taking a walk...... or something like that.... very natural.... When I heard about this bonfire setting... it dawned on me.... THAT'S what the Ronnie B. interview is like...... yeah.... like conversations and stories around a fire..... That's what's up......

Something Temple said that hit me was when he was talking about himself as a kid, under the covers with his headphones on listening to the Kinks and being blown away....that after hearing their music, "he could look at the world in another way..." Yeahh...... I think whenever you get into music that you love, especially when you are a kid... it's like that.... It's musical epiphany when it effects you so hard that you really are changed by how great you think it is... and then you want more of that...and you go searching for more of that feeling...more of that good stuff.... I found myself relating to his experience...

It's happened to me on many occasions and one of them for sure was when I fist got into The Clash and Joe Strummer...... I was like thirteen or fourteen and I just so dug.... and I had to get my hands on every album they'd ever made....wanted to know every little thing, all the history....find out about the early 101'ers.... and then later on grooved on Joe and the Mescaleros..... I fuckin loved Joe Strummer....and I love it that I can see my youngest brother have a similar experience to mine, being so obsessed...as Joe Strummer became his favorite ever a few years ago when he first started gettin into music as well.....

It was cool to hear Ronnie talk to Julien Temple about how Strummer was like a beat poet... a philosopher.... I know it, man...."The future is unwritten," is one of his quotes I believe after all.... There are certain people that make me happy and sad simultaneously.... Joe Strummer's like that for me too....... I adored him while he was alive, and his music and just the truth that he was cool...... right down to the fact that he produced some Pogues albums... you know?? He just was in a little bit of so much that I dug....like that.... All of that makes me happy and I geek still to this day...still to the music as well... It's a real obvious statement to say that it sucks that he's gone.... That's the sad part....when I remember that....

Ronnie said about Joe that, "he really lived his live like an artist." I agree with that sentiment wholeheartedly.... and that's part of the reason it just kills me sometimes that I never got to see him live. I mean, there are many artists that I wish I could have seen when they were still on this planet....so many.... A great number of them were gone way before I possibly could have.... The thing about Strummer is that I had opportunities.... There was a couple of shows up in Brooklyn at St. Ann's Warehouse in Spring '02 that I planned on goin to....and then I didn't because of finals and papers for school.... I did the responsible thing and did my work and put it off... and then he was gone that December.... What the fuck....

I mean, what would it change to see him there live? I love him like crazy anyway.... but that missed opportunity..... it can drive me nuts.....this kind of achy thing... I just wish.... Ah well...... You know how it is, though? That sometimes it's just wonderful to be in the same room as someone you so dig... whether they'll ever know you or not..... just to be in the same room.... Ya know? And then I think about this stoooopit degree that I got, that I received cause I did all my work.... What the hell have I even done with that anyway!??! I know right.... Nada nada enchilada!!! Ahhh but what can ya do.....

So maybe you can tell that I was loving that interview today.... I'm thinking that it's abundantly clear...... I wanna go sit around a bonfire now...... Let's have a bonfire.....and talk about some random stuff... maybe a little more about Joe Strummer?

So many times I have this thought... "What the fuck are you doin?" ya know, when I am up all night crazy... and smokin too much and tryin to write stuff... and knowin if it's making any sense to anybody but me...... "I do not know," is the answer.....but I like this Joe Stummer quote too, and it kinda makes me feel better.... like I'm in good company....or something..... I dunno......I just like it that even he had these kinda thoughts......and when I think about it I tell myself to cut the shit already......

“I sometimes look at myself, I'm sitting with a biro and a cigarette packet, desperately scrawling
dribble on it. And sometimes I put down my fag pack and think, what am I, a grown
man, doing at this hour of the night? Then I banish that thought, pick the fag pack up again.”

And so there is more rambling :0) I really enjoyed the show today....though all the coffin-talk made me nervous.... Now as I sit here about to say good-night.... I know the outcome of the game and currently have an eerie inkling as to what madness may come tomorrow..... Yikes....Ack! What Bout Bob is what I think of.....of course....... "Your death-therapy cured me you geeeeniuuuus!" I dunno man....... Double yikes!....

Peace out homies.......

Signed,

kathleen from the bronx :):):)

Frank Black
10-18-2007, 09:33 PM
HHAAAA ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Funneee katleen you KOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! big werds but still funneeee!!!!!!!!! I whent to rutger got me jobb here on 711 rout 9. poeple says frank dum but rutger made me SMARTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
katleen you KOOOOOL irish guuy MOOOSH KOOOOOL im a irish to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
beeers are KOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! loving katleen an dri dri KOOOOOL poeple!!!!! LAL!!!!!!

Lurkin McWeirdo
10-19-2007, 02:26 AM
:smoke:
"Kathleen, I'm lost," I said, though I knew she was sleeping.
"I'm empty and aching and I don't know why." :wacko::glurps::wacko:

drjoek
10-19-2007, 04:29 AM
That Escape song always made me think of the christmas song" I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus" under neath the mistletoe. It turns out she wasn't kissing Santa but the kids old man. i figured that out when I was 12 pissed me off to no end.

Keep up the good work See you on Buckshutem Road.

:thumbup:

buzzard
10-19-2007, 09:08 AM
very entertaining Bronxy,I love to sit back and enjoy yer writings/musings! Thank-You! yer the besssssst! :clap:

bluerideboss
10-19-2007, 10:28 AM
I love that song - it's two people realizing that they really are looking for eachother and just need to learn to communicate....:wub:

JPMNICK
10-21-2007, 08:08 AM
i haven't commented in a while, but I have been reading and loving all the blogs! Kathleen is the best

Kathleen From The Bronx
10-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Hello, sorry it took me a while to respond! Thanks so much to everyone who's been checkin out the blogs.....!!!

Thanks for the comments too! :wub:

The weekend kinda got away from me.... Apologies for the lateness of Friday's blog... Gonna put it up there now....even though much of my ranting seems a little dated now :0)