You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Red Wine Or White Wine? [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Red Wine Or White Wine?

Doctor Z
12-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Wine is nice around the holidays... Are you a red wine person or a white wine person?

A.J.
12-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Red, red wine.

underdog
12-09-2007, 11:14 AM
I like sweeter wines, so I drink a lot of white wine. And a lot of Riesling, specifically.

Gvac
Red. In fact I just got to the Stugots residence & I'm about to crack a bottle of Pinot Noir right now.

TooLowBrow
red wine stains my poor wittle teefs

King Hippos Bandaid
12-09-2007, 11:18 AM
I dont have a favorite, Reds for Steaks and Beef

Whites for Chicken Pork and Fish

this was before acid reflux , now I don't drink wine

EddieMoscone
12-09-2007, 11:30 AM
I guess I prefer whites, German and Austrian to be specific. Gewurztraminer is my favorite. Cab Sav when I drink reds.

Have a friend with a vineyard in PA, so any time I visit him I come home with a couple of cases. Nice...

If anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any fucking Merlot!

cogsdoc
12-09-2007, 11:31 AM
I dont have a favorite, Reds for Steaks and Beef

Whites for Chicken Pork and Fish

this was before acid reflux , now I don't drink wine

But there is nothing like a good red wine with a juicy steak

Marc with a c
12-09-2007, 11:40 AM
white power

Doctor Z
12-09-2007, 12:19 PM
I guess I prefer whites, German and Austrian to be specific.
Nazi.

WhistlePig
12-09-2007, 12:22 PM
I love white wine--especially chardonnay/pinot grigio blends. I've tried hard to like red wine but I just don't. I'll drink it, but I have to force it down.
Everyone I know who used to drink a lot of white wine have switched to red and send out a vibe like only the unsophisticated still drink white. That annoys me.

Doctor Z
12-09-2007, 12:38 PM
I love white wine--especially chardonnay/pinot grigio blends. I've tried hard to like red wine but I just don't. I'll drink it, but I have to force it down.
Everyone I know who used to drink a lot of white wine have switched to red and send out a vibe like only the unsophisticated still drink white. That annoys me.

Ditto. So annoying and completely unfounded by anything logical.

thejives
12-09-2007, 12:42 PM
red wine stains my poor wittle teefs

Yeah... at a party always go for the white.
Otherwise you look like a goober with purple teeth and tongue.
It is possible to sip red without staining your teeth, but it's a risk I don't like to take.

FUNKMAN
12-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Red

9 to 12 bucks

Pillar Box Red and Opel are a couple favorites

DonInNC
12-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Vino!! Usually red, but I get a craving for white every once in a while. Thing is, I can drink a cheap red no problem, but I can't go for a cheap white.

Death Metal Moe
12-09-2007, 01:26 PM
I won't say wine is for fag, but I've just never been as quick to reach for wine as I am for beer. But I hardly drink at all.

I guess I'd go for white if I was drinking, it seems to have a smoother taste. A lot of reds I've had were almost bitter. It could be that I just drank shit red, but whatever.

spoon
12-09-2007, 01:30 PM
Red. In fact I just got to the Stugots residence & I'm about to crack a bottle of Pinot Noir right now.

I won a bottle of red from this guy here and it was the tops. And say it isn't so Greg! Say it ainst so!!!... :sad:

spoon
12-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I won't say wine is for fag, but I've just never been as quick to reach for wine as I am for beer. But I hardly drink at all.

I guess I'd go for white if I was drinking, it seems to have a smoother taste. A lot of reds I've had were almost bitter. It could be that I just drank shit red, but whatever.

I won't say it, but I will. Classic DMM post. You're truly back in form this holiday season huh?

IamPixie
12-09-2007, 01:40 PM
White wine. Red sits heavy in my stomach.

Death Metal Moe
12-09-2007, 01:46 PM
I won't say it, but I will. Classic DMM post. You're truly back in form this holiday season huh?

Back to headhunting me again?

Yea, what an ass I am answering the question. I should just attack other posters, that's much more productive.

spoon
12-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Back to headhunting me again?

Yea, what an ass I am answering the question. I should just attack other posters, that's much more productive.

Get over yourself. I went into two seperate threads of interest and you happened to post dicky replies in both. I responded in kind. Simple as that. Now go cry some more like someone is picking on you and let the pms fly! waaaaaaaaa

joethebartender
12-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Reds are my favorites. So much more to taste than white wines. That's why we chill the white and almost all red is served around room temp and more exposed to the air.

Daily:
Jaboulet "parallel 45" Cotes du Rhone (under $10...I used to buy it in A&P here in Jersey. I get it by the case now at total wine in riveredge)
http://bp3.blogger.com/_AGELiYENApc/RkjEBLWJUwI/AAAAAAAAALc/xvn9OUB4_nM/s320/8998.jpg

Monthly:
Travaglini Gattinara Tre Vigne (great to bring to all of these byob Italian places around here. around $25-30, but remember, that would be around $65-80 in a regular restaurant)
http://www.everywine.biz/prod_images/TRVTREVIGN00R.jpg

Yearly:
Piero Antinori "Tignanello" (around $75 at the store depending on the vintage. I drink this one when I've spent too much at the butcher on "perfect" steaks for the old Weber. You could eat the charcoal and it would taste good with this stuff!)
http://www.flaviamessina.it/MISTER-COFFEE/img/prodotti/vini/antinori/foto3.jpg

VERY Special Occasions:
Mondavi "Opus One" (I have a few wines, not just this one, that I've bought five or more years ago that I've paid $100+ for. Now, a few are worth a lot of money but I'll drink them when the time's right. I still buy wine for "the future". A '94 opus was the last one that I drank one night during an amazing weekend. You gotta Know when to hold 'em and when to send them to the piss factory.)
http://www.shiraz-und-co.de/pic/US-BL-0194-04p.jpg

Love,
-Joe

spoon
12-09-2007, 01:52 PM
White wine. Red sits heavy in my stomach.

Who's Red!?

:laugh:

deepinthewoods
12-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Red wine. White slavery.

Snacks
12-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Red is a better wine for you (so they say) and "real" wine drinkers drink Red (so they Say)

I prefer White because its chilled. I love the mixed wines.

led37zep
12-09-2007, 03:16 PM
Red Wine 4 life son!

White wine is for girls.

Bunny™
12-09-2007, 03:20 PM
Relax Riesling is the new favorite at our house.

IMSlacker
12-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Red.

http://www.bumwine.com/bumwine/md2020.jpg

spoon
12-09-2007, 03:44 PM
I'm mostly a red wine drinker as most white wines are too sweet. There are a few that have a nice taste, but most taste like wine coolers in my mind. Perhaps I haven't tried the right wines.

joethebartender
12-09-2007, 03:51 PM

two to try out. My favorite white wines
-Fauna Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, under $10, don't let the screw-off cap fool you! Great stuff!
-Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc, about $20, made from the same grape as the one above,(sauvignon blanc) different flavor from the soil and conditions in California.
Also give any Gavi di Gavi a try. Nice Italian white. La Scolca's a decent brand.

Love,
-Joe

furie
12-09-2007, 04:21 PM
well, of course it depends on the meal. but i am a red by default.

Fez4PrezN2008
12-09-2007, 04:52 PM
well, of course it depends on the meal. but i am a red by default.
ditto - a nice merlot is great for just sipping too. I really like the whites too.

FUNKMAN
12-09-2007, 04:55 PM
did you hear about the new birtrh control for women? it fits over their wineglass

grlNIN
12-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Red wine.

White wine always makes me think of women who can't hold their liquor.

WhistlePig
12-09-2007, 07:21 PM
-Fauna Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, under $10, don't let the screw-off cap fool you! Great stuff!
-Robert Mondavi Fume Blanc, about $20, made from the same grape as the one above,(sauvignon blanc) different flavor from the soil and conditions in California.
Also give any Gavi di Gavi a try. Nice Italian white. La Scolca's a decent brand.

Love,
-Joe

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check 'em out.

Reephdweller
12-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Red Wine all the way for me. I am not a fan of white wine at all. On occasion I might have chardonnay depending upon the circumstance, but that's it.

I had a really excellent wine over the weekend on recommendation from a friend. It was a Pinot Noir from a company called La Crema...it was easily one of the best wines I've had in a while. At $29 a bottle had better be!!

http://s7ondemand1.scene7.com/is/image/CPWM/56748_LaCrema_Pinot_Noir?$278x278_Detail_Image$

Reephdweller
12-09-2007, 07:53 PM

Love,
-Joe

I've found through time that you really can't go wrong with any Mondavi wine.

Doctor Z
12-09-2007, 07:58 PM
RED PULLING AHEAD after falling behind early!

Reephdweller
12-09-2007, 07:59 PM
A lot of reds I've had were almost bitter. It could be that I just drank shit red, but whatever.

This was always my thinking as well until some friends taught me about different kinds of reds. A lot of the red wines I was having over the years were dark bitter Cabernet Sauvignon. My suggestion is start with lighter reds such as Red Zinfandel and work your way through Merlot before trying Cabernet Sauvignon again. I've found over time that I really like Merlot, Pinot Noir, Red Zinfandels, Syrahs, and Chianti Ruffino, they all have lighter and tastier flavors that aren't bitter at all.

joethebartender
12-09-2007, 09:20 PM
I've found through time that you really can't go wrong with any Mondavi wine.

You have to be carefull though. Robert Mondavi vinyards are the greats. There's an evil faction of the family that goes by "CK Mondavi" that produces piss off of some California collectives. (As they used to say on O&A "bring me a box of wine!")

Love,
-Joe

joethebartender
12-09-2007, 09:23 PM
This was always my thinking as well until some friends taught me about different kinds of reds. A lot of the red wines I was having over the years were dark bitter Cabernet Sauvignon. My suggestion is start with lighter reds such as Red Zinfandel and work your way through Merlot before trying Cabernet Sauvignon again. I've found over time that I really like Merlot, Pinot Noir, Red Zinfandels, Syrahs, and Chianti Ruffino, they all have lighter and tastier flavors that aren't bitter at all.

Best "starter" red zin: Rancho Zabaco. Under $10. Available at supermarket liquor aisles. (A&P has it in NJ)

PapaBear
12-09-2007, 09:27 PM
My ex used to work for OASIS WINERY (http://www.oasiswine.com/centralpage.stm) here in Virginia. It's been a long time since I've had any, but it was damn good stuff. Back then I only liked white, but I'm more into red, now.

patsopinion
12-10-2007, 04:26 AM
some of us have shit wrong with our tummies and white is much easier for us to process then red

Reephdweller
12-10-2007, 05:32 AM
My ex used to work for OASIS WINERY (http://www.oasiswine.com/centralpage.stm) here in Virginia. It's been a long time since I've had any, but it was damn good stuff. Back then I only liked white, but I'm more into red, now.

I like wines from Virginia very much. The last time we went through there we stopped over at Shenandoah Vineyards, their merlot is excellent.

http://www.virginiawines.org/wineries/images/shenandoah.jpg

One of the first wines to change my opinion on reds was Renwood old vine red zinfandel. It's about $7.99 in the stores, very good and very drinkable and no bitterness.

http://www.finewinehouse.com/ProductImages/RenwoodAmaOVzin.jpg

Chris from TX
12-10-2007, 05:36 AM
Red... unless it is sparkling or I am eating cheese.

nate1000
12-10-2007, 05:50 AM
Personally, I generally prefer a hearty oaky Cab with a long finish.

A lot of people bash white wines, but there are a couple of Chardonnays that I'd put directly against any Cab for flavor structure and body. Generally, Chards with malolactic fermentation and french oak aging rock (american oak can be OK, as long as it doesn't sit on the oak for too long.) You get an oaky nose, the fruit of the wine mixed with an oaky nuttiness on the palate, then a long, buttery finish. :drunk:

VERY Special Occasions:
Mondavi "Opus One" (I have a few wines, not just this one, that I've bought five or more years ago that I've paid $100+ for. Now, a few are worth a lot of money but I'll drink them when the time's right. I still buy wine for "the future". A '94 opus was the last one that I drank one night during an amazing weekend. You gotta Know when to hold 'em and when to send them to the piss factory.)
http://www.shiraz-und-co.de/pic/US-BL-0194-04p.jpg

Love,
-Joe

Great bottle of wine, however, honestly I prefer
http://akimages.crossmediaservices.com/dyn_li/200.0.88.0/my_cms_p2ionline_com/CMS/NewPhase/data/images/7320055_8193431.jpg

If you like Opus, I'd recommend trying Franciscan Oakville estates. Apparently the Opus and Oakville vinyards are seperated by a single dirt road. Same terroir at an everyday price.

buzzard
12-10-2007, 06:11 AM
I like white wine much more than red

Chigworthy
12-10-2007, 06:17 AM
I've been on a Zinfandel kick lately (What's red zinfandel? It's just Zinfandel out here in zinfandel country). Particularly old vines:

http://wine.appellationamerica.com/images/wineries/Gnarley_Head_label.jpg

I don't understand so-called wine afficionados who don't like whites. Out here in the land of whinos, there is just as much a market for high-quality whites as their is for reds. I understand there is a higher percentage of really bad whites than reds, but I think a "real" wine drinker would be able to find good wines of any color, even green:

http://www.bevmo.com/115images/51090.jpg

Furtherman
12-10-2007, 06:21 AM
Love red wine. Love wine tastings, where I'll sample a variety, but when I'm buying a bottle, it will be red.

Doctor Z
12-10-2007, 06:26 AM
some of us have shit wrong with our tummies and white is much easier for us to process then red
<-- THIS GUY!
:bye:

EddieMoscone
12-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Love red wine. Love wine tastings, where I'll sample a variety, but when I'm buying a bottle, it will be red.

Did this at Palmer Vineyard on Long Island. Must have tried like 12 wines, went home with 6 bottles. I'd love to hire a driver and jump from tasting room to tasting room around that area.

Thebazile78
12-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Ordinarily, I'd say that wine's for fags, but since I started drinking things for their flavor and not their alcohol content, I'm on the wine bandwagon.

I prefer red to white wine, mostly because of some horrendous chardonnays I've suffered through. (I find chardonnays to have a nasty, sour aftertaste.)

I went through a merlot phase but have been tasting pinot noirs and shirazes that I enjoyed much more.

When I do drink white wine, it's usually pinot grigiot or the Luni di Luna chardonnay/pinot blend in the green bottle.

hedges
12-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Row 11 is a great Pinot Noir out there for about $20 a bottle. I stick to reds usually.

ralphbxny
12-10-2007, 05:44 PM
I love the white wine now that I am trying to watch my weight. No beer stinks!!