You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
panfried steak [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : panfried steak

TooLowBrow
12-13-2007, 11:16 AM
our grill is busted
and im to lazy to go out in the snow
i've got a few frozen steaks here
i'd like to pan fry them in butter
any advice?

Hottub
12-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Sautee' some onions in the pan first with Olive oil. Then remove the onions when you go to put the steak in, put the onions back on top.
Don't make steaks that are too thick. They take too long to fry and get tough.

Chigworthy
12-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Hot cast iron. (not w/ butter (burns), use olive oil, or grapeseed oil which has a higher flashpoint than olive oil)

topless_mike
12-13-2007, 11:59 AM
use a cast iron pan....

actually, since you are asking how to do this, im guessing you dont have one.

let the steak sit at room temp. salt, pepper, whatever else you choose.

if you use a regular pan, heat it up to the max, throw the steak in there to sear it first.
then lower the heat and move it to the oven.

heat till 150-155; remove and let rest.

bigtim666
12-13-2007, 12:08 PM
fry on high on one side 7 minutes, turn it over kill the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes (london broil)

Jughead
12-13-2007, 12:22 PM
Only turn it once As in other post no butter to cook in,,, but works great spread on after cooking for shine........burns wont withstand high heat..I use non stick spray...Spray a lot...I like to cook frozen and season right before taking them off... B:bye:ecause I like mine very seared on outside and med rare.........Outside I use a brick covered in foil for weight...Even browning...Inside you can come up with something cover in foil..Especially if its Loin..I use high heat the entire cooking time so many mins a side depending on what kind of thickness and what cut??? :bye:

BoondockSaint
12-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Damn, now I'm craving a steak and baked potato for dinner now.

Landblast
12-13-2007, 12:29 PM
use a cast iron pan....

actually, since you are asking how to do this, im guessing you dont have one.

let the steak sit at room temp. salt, pepper, whatever else you choose.

if you use a regular pan, heat it up to the max, throw the steak in there to sear it first.
then lower the heat and move it to the oven.

heat till 150-155; remove and let rest.

agreed.

TooLowBrow
12-13-2007, 12:29 PM
I use high heat the entire cooking time so many mins a side depending on what kind of thickness and what cut??? :bye:

porterhouse 3/4 - 1 inch thick

Team_Ramrod
12-13-2007, 12:43 PM
any advice?

DON'T DO IT!!!

Go down to the sizzler and get one cooked up until you are able to properly prepare the steak.

Jughead
12-13-2007, 12:48 PM
porterhouse 3/4 - 1 inch thick

High heat 4 min one side 4 the other for med....Or just push on it .. But try the weight it helps crisp it up and keeps it flat against that great cast iron...:tongue:

Jughead
12-13-2007, 12:50 PM
DON'T DO IT!!!

Go down to the sizzler and get one cooked up until you are able to properly prepare the steak.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Ram Rules!!!

Chigworthy
12-13-2007, 01:36 PM
DON'T DO IT!!!

Sizzler? Sizzler!? You must not have had a properly pan-fried steak. It's a different entity than a grilled steak. Sizzler?

Wait, Sizzler?

Team_Ramrod
12-13-2007, 02:04 PM
Sizzler? Sizzler!? You must not have had a properly pan-fried steak. It's a different entity than a grilled steak. Sizzler?

Wait, Sizzler?

I was on a roll, I was reading and doing great at it too!

I got to 'properly' okay.... then moved on to 'pan fried' (cause at this point I thought you could be refering to mushrooms or something).... then I got to 'steak'.

After that point I blanked out and seen my wife.... for a moment there, you WERE my chick.

I was reading your line and just like with her.... I was 'there' but I wasn't quite with it.

Sorry:sad:

TooLowBrow
12-13-2007, 02:40 PM
uh, thanks for smoking up my house guys.
i have every window in the place open right now

Freakshow
12-13-2007, 02:41 PM

Wait, Sizzler?

What if he had said banana bread?

banana bread, seriously what were you thinking.

Team_Ramrod
12-13-2007, 02:42 PM
uh, thanks for smoking up my house guys.
i have every window in the place open right now

well, I told ya so

TooLowBrow
12-13-2007, 02:55 PM
what did i do wrong?

Hottub
12-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Try the broiler next time if you don't want to grill.

TooLowBrow
12-13-2007, 03:09 PM
i dont know if i even HAVE a broiler

Hottub
12-13-2007, 03:13 PM
Do you have an oven?
Any Oven I've ever seen has Bake, Broil and Clean.

This guy has it down pretty well. (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070119131723AA4vEG6)

PS. You still may need to open a window.

TooLowBrow
12-13-2007, 03:16 PM
is the broiler where i keep cooking trays under the oven?

Jughead
12-13-2007, 03:17 PM

Plastic too I'll bet...:tongue:

Chris from TX
12-13-2007, 03:18 PM

It might be, especially if it is gas and it has little grates along the bottom. If it is electric, the broiling is accomplished by the upper heating element on the ceiling of your oven.

DiabloSammich
12-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Maybe you have to replace the bulb.

That's why my last batch of brownies didn't turn out. :thumbup:

Jughead
12-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Maybe you have to replace the bulb.

That's why my last batch of brownies didn't turn out. :thumbup:

I know this is Mr. Obvious But thats how I roll......http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/07/62/81/65/0007628165510_215X215.jpg

TooLowBrow
12-13-2007, 03:39 PM
It might be, especially if it is gas and it has little grates along the bottom. If it is electric, the broiling is accomplished by the upper heating element on the ceiling of your oven.

i got electric, i'll move the rack up to the top next time and throw it over to broil
thanks

topless_mike
12-13-2007, 04:54 PM
broiler = upside down grill (in yo house).

roll that way next time... but definately go to walmart and pick up a Lodge brand cast iron skillet... you'll never use another one again (except for eggs)...

hedges
12-13-2007, 05:05 PM
I know this is a little late, but this is how I do it without smoking out the apartment. Heat a skillet with olive oil over med-high heat. When hot, place seasoned (sea salt/pepper) room-temperature steak in pan. Sear approximately 2 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium. Press on middle of steak to determine desired temp. once cooked. When finished, remove steak and let sit for about five minutes to let the juices settle.

Fez4PrezN2008
12-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Hey, don't forget to serve it on a hooker's back !
:wink:

Team_Ramrod
12-13-2007, 05:15 PM
I know this is a little late, but this is how I do it without smoking out the apartment. Heat a skillet with olive oil over med-high heat. When hot, place seasoned (sea salt/pepper) room-temperature steak in pan. Sear approximately 2 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium. Press on middle of steak to determine desired temp. once cooked. When finished, remove steak and let sit for about five minutes to let the juices settle. I use the BBQ… but when that’s not an option, I go out and order one from a restaurant.

Fixed it for ya.

TooLowBrow
12-13-2007, 06:22 PM
I know this is a little late, but this is how I do it without smoking out the apartment. Heat a skillet with olive oil over med-high heat. When hot, place seasoned (sea salt/pepper) room-temperature steak in pan. Sear approximately 2 minutes on each side. Lower heat to medium. Press on middle of steak to determine desired temp. once cooked. When finished, remove steak and let sit for about five minutes to let the juices settle.

hedges, you win best yahoo answers best answer

TooLowBrow
12-13-2007, 06:22 PM
broiler = upside down grill (in yo house).

roll that way next time... but definately go to walmart and pick up a Lodge brand cast iron skillet... you'll never use another one again (except for eggs)...

i did use cast iron
why is that better tho?

Chigworthy
12-13-2007, 06:58 PM
I was on a roll, I was reading and doing great at it too!

I got to 'properly' okay.... then moved on to 'pan fried' (cause at this point I thought you could be refering to mushrooms or something).... then I got to 'steak'.

After that point I blanked out and seen my wife.... for a moment there, you WERE my chick.

I was reading your line and just like with her.... I was 'there' but I wasn't quite with it.

Sorry:sad:

It's saw, not seen.

A.J.
12-14-2007, 03:50 AM
Sautee' some onions in the pan first with Olive oil. Then remove the onions when you go to put the steak in, put the onions back on top.
Don't make steaks that are too thick. They take too long to fry and get tough.

Try the broiler next time if you don't want to grill.

Do you have an oven?
Any Oven I've ever seen has Bake, Broil and Clean.

This guy has it down pretty well. (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070119131723AA4vEG6)

PS. You still may need to open a window.

Tub sounds like he has some experience.

http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bjork/courses/306/fall03/students/chen/GoodFellas/Power.jpeg

http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bjork/courses/306/fall03/students/chen/GoodFellas/Steak.jpeg

Hottub
12-14-2007, 04:12 AM
Tub sounds like he has some experience.

http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bjork/courses/306/fall03/students/chen/GoodFellas/Power.jpeg

http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~bjork/courses/306/fall03/students/chen/GoodFellas/Steak.jpeg

Bravo, A.J.
Bravo!:clap:

topless_mike
12-14-2007, 05:13 AM
i did use cast iron
why is that better tho?

it distributes the heat more evenly. you wont get "hotspots" like you do with other pans.
its also nonstick, due to the build up of grease and fat in it (never wash cast iron w/ soap).

real tools = real food.

Team_Ramrod
12-14-2007, 05:22 AM
It's saw, not seen.

Aren't you just a little smarty pants.

Thebazile78
12-14-2007, 05:24 AM
i did use cast iron
why is that better tho?

Oh the glories of cast iron cookware!!

Cast iron heats evenly. This is important so that you get the best sear on all sides. Aluminum and stainless can't compare, although some folks will swear by anodized and copper. But copper is a bitch to clean and anodized is for cheaters.

Cast iron is oven-safe. If you're going to do a 2-stage cooking process, this is a big deal. You can't exactly put a cheapie aluminum or stainless pan under the broiler - it wouldnt' be the same and you'd probably ruin your pan.

Cast iron retains heat. Once you have that pan heated up, it will stay good and hot for a while, which is a good thing when you want something to brown.

Cast iron promotes browning. That lovely caramelized crust that makes a rare or medium rare steak taste so sweet and luscious can be created in two ways - on the grill or using cast iron. The heat retention is key to causing the Maillard reaction (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction). (Yum.)

Cast iron is virtually nonstick. Lodge (http://www.lodgemfg.com/), which has been in the cast-iron cookware business for over 100 years, sells "seasoned" cast iron. Seasoned cast iron resists stickage and is a beautiful thing for encouraging the Maillard reaction. (You can also buy an unseasoned cast iron skillet, but you will need to season it to get the best cooking out of it. Seasoning is easy, but time consuming.)

And what is the single piece of cookware I am missing from my kitchen?

A 10" or 12" PRESEASONED CAST-IRON SKILLET.

Not a grill pan (which I received as a wedding gift from Matt's parents' friends) or a 2-burner grill/griddle (which was also a wedding gift, from my grandmother) but a CAST IRON SKILLET. And, yes, I had one on the registry.

Nonstick aluminum will NOT cut it for this lovely recipe that I've been drooling over since I first saw the episode:

Good Eats Pan Seared Rib Eye Steak (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_99,00.html)

TooLowBrow
12-14-2007, 09:36 PM
if i cleaned my cast iron pan with soap...:glurps:

how do i make it usable again?
and how should i have cleaned it?

PapaBear
12-14-2007, 09:54 PM

You can probably just season it again. It's been a long time since I've done it, but you should be able to find it on Google. As for cleaning, I always just scrape mine with a plastic spatula, then clean it with warm water (don't soak it) and a nylon brush and dish cloth.

Thebazile78
12-17-2007, 06:58 AM

These links will help you re-season your skillet:

How to Season a Cast Iron Skillet-From About.com (http://huntsville.about.com/cs/food/ht/Cast_Iron.htm)
How to Season a Cast Iron Skillet-From eHow (http://www.ehow.com/how_11103_season-cast-iron.html)

If you Google "seasoning a cast iron skillet" you get a boatload of links.