You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
The Problem with the Wrestling Business [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : The Problem with the Wrestling Business

ToddEVF
02-10-2008, 08:01 PM
I was looking around today bored on this post superbowl sunday and found on Wrestlezone a feature, or article, written by Scott Levy. Its part one, and it really had me.

So i share.

Debut Article: The Problem With The Wrestling Business (http://wrestlezone.com/column.php?articleid=204192033)

SpicyMcHaggis
02-11-2008, 06:13 AM
He makes some good points. I for one think that bookers have made only the main title belts useful and not even to the point where they used to be. If you had the World title belt, you were the man and treated as such all the time. If you had the mid-card belt, you were given the prestige of being recognized as the next big thing because you were on your way to fighting for the World title. Nowadays it doesn't seem like that mentality exists anymore. They just make them play the same character only this time with a belt around their waist.

As far as the smart marks who are "killing the business," there are varying degrees. There are those who have themselves learned of the business after having followed it for so long and have thus become a part of it (like myself and Heather 8 amongst others), and then there are those who believe they know all the insider information and report it online. In my opinion, the reason wrestling isn't the way it used to be is because there is no suspension of disbelief anymore.

Part of that has to do with the infamous "indy style" of spot fests and no-selling to the degree of not believing that you could possibly be hurt from an impossibly complicated move because they kick out of it. Another small thing that I notice nearly EVERYONE doing is that every count by a referee seems to be ALWAYS a near fall. How can you have a near-fall from a now "small maneuver" like a belly to belly or backdrop and then have the same type of near fall situation from a finishing maneuver? Things like that bother me. And it all falls into the same category which is ring psychology. The point of a wrestling match is to tell a story in the ring. Whether it be working a specific body part or exploiting a weakness or exploiting a strength in a gimmick, the point is to give a reason why wrestler A is fighting wrestler B and why one has to overcome the other to get the win or show how one will overcome the other to get the win.

I found a great article on it which you can read here (http://everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1329658).

ToddEVF
02-11-2008, 07:05 AM
nicely put, Spicy. Very Nicely put.

In the article i posted, I believe he didn't take a positive or negative stance on the smart marks. But that could be me missing something again, i do that sometimes. I know he brought up how GG felt they were hurting the business.

He stated that these IWFs (Internet Wrestling Fans) are hurting the business and goes on to elaborate, that it is because they champion these non working cruiserweights who don’t sell and kill credibility.

Scott has spoken about smart marks before, believe it was on the Forever Hardcore DVD. Have to make sure about that though.