You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Ric Flair's Wrestlemania Match [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Ric Flair's Wrestlemania Match

The_Showstopper
02-22-2008, 05:15 PM
I posted this in a wrestling forum i belong to and got a pretty wide array of awnsers on the subject so i figured id post it here and see what some of you think

I was having a discusion with a buddy of mine tthe other day and we got into a really good conversation about this years wrestlemania. One particular topic that was discussed was the Ric Flair retirement angle and Wrestlemania and where that falls on the card. Say Flair is goin to wrestle HBK (not confirmed but was the name we went with jsut for arguements sake and seems very probable) and its definatly going to be flair's final match. Heres the question Should that be the main event of Wrestlemaina 24. Now i know that traditionaly either the WWE, or World heavyweight Championship is defended in the final match, But if this is going to be Ric Flairs final match, A man who is arguably one of if not the greatest wrestler of all time. Would the WWE be justified in having that be the main event of the bigest show of the year (we even discussed the ending if flair loses the locker room empties and all the superstars come to the ring to show there appreciation and the show goes off like that) That to me personaly would be a bigger moment then HHH, Cena, Edge Taker or whoever winning the title (No knock on any of them im a huge fan and respect them all so this is no dig on any of them) Also something else to consider is if you have Flair vs HBK say in the middle of the card and Flair loses the WWE might run the risk of the fans having the air taken out of them for the main event (some people have mentioned this happened at Wrestlemania 18 with hogan and rock gettin all the reaction and the crowd being somewhat dead for HHH & Jericho.) not saying that will happen but it very will could.

So what do you think should Ric Flair's last match (if it will be his last match) main event Wrestlemania 24? I look forward to this discussion Thanx

eeroomnhoj
02-22-2008, 05:43 PM
I posted this in a wrestling forum i belong to and got a pretty wide array of awnsers on the subject so i figured id post it here and see what some of you think

I was having a discusion with a buddy of mine tthe other day and we got into a really good conversation about this years wrestlemania. One particular topic that was discussed was the Ric Flair retirement angle and Wrestlemania and where that falls on the card. Say Flair is goin to wrestle HBK (not confirmed but was the name we went with jsut for arguements sake and seems very probable) and its definatly going to be flair's final match. Heres the question Should that be the main event of Wrestlemaina 24. Now i know that traditionaly either the WWE, or World heavyweight Championship is defended in the final match, But if this is going to be Ric Flairs final match, A man who is arguably one of if not the greatest wrestler of all time. Would the WWE be justified in having that be the main event of the bigest show of the year (we even discussed the ending if flair loses the locker room empties and all the superstars come to the ring to show there appreciation and the show goes off like that) That to me personaly would be a bigger moment then HHH, Cena, Edge Taker or whoever winning the title (No knock on any of them im a huge fan and respect them all so this is no dig on any of them) Also something else to consider is if you have Flair vs HBK say in the middle of the card and Flair loses the WWE might run the risk of the fans having the air taken out of them for the main event (some people have mentioned this happened at Wrestlemania 18 with hogan and rock gettin all the reaction and the crowd being somewhat dead for HHH & Jericho.) not saying that will happen but it very will could.

So what do you think should Ric Flair's last match (if it will be his last match) main event Wrestlemania 24? I look forward to this discussion Thanx

http://re3.yt-thm-a01.yimg.com/image/25/m7/3845288494

oh_kee_pa
02-22-2008, 05:48 PM
apprently hogan is lobbying for that match...

if hogan faces flair it will be the main event... otherwise i say no...
not saying it wouldnt be a good idea, but I don't see where triple h would allow it, which is unfortunate, but he will be closing out WM and opening the next nights raw

The_Showstopper
02-22-2008, 05:53 PM
apprently hogan is lobbying for that match...

if hogan faces flair it will be the main event... otherwise i say no...
not saying it wouldnt be a good idea, but I don't see where triple h would allow it, which is unfortunate, but he will be closing out WM and opening the next nights raw

Im not so sure about that point, Seeing as how HHH is a huge flair fan and has called him the best ever. I dont see where he'd have a problem having his idol flair and one of his closest friends HBk have the main event spot and send flair off in an amazing moment. But thats jsut my thought on that.

The_Showstopper
02-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Even if flair doesnt main event Wrestlemania (and for the record i dont think he will) I would still like to see the WWE make a big deal out of the match. Like Perhaps have some of flairs old rivals and partners such as Harley Race, Ricky Steamboat, Dusty Rhodes, The Horsemen and some of the current guys like HHH, HBK Austin. give there testimonials on flair either at the HOF or at mania leading up to the match. Mabye have some of them sitting at ringside or a backstage vignete or something. And there might be some people who think that would be giving away the resut of the match if you have legends at ringside or backstage people will know hes going to lose. I dont think so as much. Most of the legends Race, Steamboat, Rhodes will be at the HOF the night before, So they'd have a reason to be at Mania

donnie_darko
02-22-2008, 06:26 PM
i watched wrestling the other night for about five minutes, long enough to see ric flair limp his old ass around the ring.

then tonight i see some guy named mvp walking around with a belt.

i dont see how anyone can be surprised that no one watches this shit anymore.

ric flair can't even do his little "strut" thing anymore, it was fucking sad.

hopefully neither him or hogan will die in the ring.

Section 8
02-22-2008, 06:53 PM
I can see them doing the match, but not as a main event. Considering that the angle is set that whenever he loses his next match, he's done. You'd have to make Flair vs Whoever the main event for every show he's on because that match may be the ONE. If you set the match up as the main event for something as huge as WM, people will know that will be the last time you see Flair as a wrestler. If I was booking WM and it was supposed to be Flair's last match, I'd put it either just before or in between the 2 Heavyweight title matches.

Either that or have it as the last match on a Saturday Night's Main Event.

Devo37
02-22-2008, 06:57 PM
it should be the match before the main event (main event would be an obvious give-away of the outcome). have the match, flair loses, 10 minute standing-o, and then the main event.

after the cameras go off, they could bring flair back out and have a tribute for the fans in attendance, then show a recap of it on raw the next night.

Chimee
02-22-2008, 07:11 PM
I can see them doing the match, but not as a main event. Considering that the angle is set that whenever he loses his next match, he's done. You'd have to make Flair vs Whoever the main event for every show he's on because that match may be the ONE. If you set the match up as the main event for something as huge as WM, people will know that will be the last time you see Flair as a wrestler. If I was booking WM and it was supposed to be Flair's last match, I'd put it either just before or in between the 2 Heavyweight title matches.

Either that or have it as the last match on a Saturday Night's Main Event.

That's why I saw some people hoping he lost at No Way Out so that they could set up something where he convinces Vince to give him one last match at Mania. The more I think of it, the more I think that would have been the best way to go. That way there would be a guaranteed special moment and they could set up whatever they wanted with it because everyone would already know that it was going to be his last match.

oh_kee_pa
02-22-2008, 07:14 PM
That's why I saw some people hoping he lost at No Way Out so that they could set up something where he convinces Vince to give him one last match at Mania. The more I think of it, the more I think that would have been the best way to go. That way there would be a guaranteed special moment and they could set up whatever they wanted with it because everyone would already know that it was going to be his last match.

What they should of done was have him lose at no way out,
then flair comes out and cuts a promo on raw for one match...
McMahon turns him down...
we go to break and come back to mcmahon at a desk writing something...
Superstarr after superstar come in and put there tights on mcmahons desk, ala Rudy "he can take my spot at wrestlemania".... that would of been pretty cool

ToddEVF
02-22-2008, 07:29 PM
i don't know why, but I'd like to see Dusty Rhodes/Flair for Flair's final match.

I guess it comes to the classic feuds between the two, and also way back to when Flair beat Dusty for the NWA World Title. And putting it too early in the show would be like "who gives a shit" and too late makes it a big deal.

I'm thinking last match of the second hour of the PPV. Before the WWE/Heavyweight Title Matches. But putting the flair match in between would break up that title rush.

Devo37
02-22-2008, 07:51 PM
i don't know why, but I'd like to see Dusty Rhodes/Flair for Flair's final match.

i'd prefer flair vs. the midnight rider, daddy!

The Nature Boy
02-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Vince hates money for not doing a final title run with Slick Ric. I may have mentioned this here, but I would have had him take the Smackdown title at Mania. You keep Raw strong and "legit" with Cena or HHH or whatever, but an old school guy like me would acutally seek out Flair on Smackdown, especially with the retiremen stip continuing.

Then I bring back the Great American Bash summer tour dealy. I tour stadiums throughout the south while people bring their kids out to see history, Naitch with the belt one last time. All the while, he's feuding with Jeff Hardy, hot on his heels. Let Flair play the heel, but of course he's getting cheered, but the education for Hardy would be amazing. Give Hardy the Sting/Windham/Luger run of the late 80's, the young upstart who JUST MISS the title each time. Let Ric be Ric, DQ's, countouts, anything to keep the belt.

Culminate it at the Bash PPV OR Summerslam, Hardy vs. Flair, outdoor stadium show, somewhere in NC, Charlotte most likely. Career vs. Career, title on the line, Flair and Hardy, two North Carolina generations, let Hardy win with the finish from Clash of the Champions with Steamboat/Flair where Hardy just gets his shoulder up or whatever and he wins the title. They embrace, celebrate, Flair passes the torch to the biggest pop you ever heard.

Instead, HBK will superkick him into retirement.

cougarjake13
02-24-2008, 06:15 AM
Vince hates money for not doing a final title run with Slick Ric. I may have mentioned this here, but I would have had him take the Smackdown title at Mania. You keep Raw strong and "legit" with Cena or HHH or whatever, but an old school guy like me would acutally seek out Flair on Smackdown, especially with the retiremen stip continuing.

Then I bring back the Great American Bash summer tour dealy. I tour stadiums throughout the south while people bring their kids out to see history, Naitch with the belt one last time. All the while, he's feuding with Jeff Hardy, hot on his heels. Let Flair play the heel, but of course he's getting cheered, but the education for Hardy would be amazing. Give Hardy the Sting/Windham/Luger run of the late 80's, the young upstart who JUST MISS the title each time. Let Ric be Ric, DQ's, countouts, anything to keep the belt.

Culminate it at the Bash PPV OR Summerslam, Hardy vs. Flair, outdoor stadium show, somewhere in NC, Charlotte most likely. Career vs. Career, title on the line, Flair and Hardy, two North Carolina generations, let Hardy win with the finish from Clash of the Champions with Steamboat/Flair where Hardy just gets his shoulder up or whatever and he wins the title. They embrace, celebrate, Flair passes the torch to the biggest pop you ever heard.

Instead, HBK will superkick him into retirement.

this is why the fans should run the angles

this is better then any of the shit we haveto watch in the last 5-10 years