You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
2/25/08 Conga: My Dance of Shame... and Random Field Trips [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : 2/25/08 Conga: My Dance of Shame... and Random Field Trips

Kathleen From The Bronx
02-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Dear Ron and Fez Shooow,

I could not believe it... I thought, "Is this really happening to me?" Bewildered I wondered, "What are these feelings...? Has this finally happened? Has the day finally come.... I WANT to be part of a conga line?"

Ordinarily when I'd hear Gloria's call, "Come on , chicky body baby, do the conga
I know you can’t control yourself any longer," I'd think... "No, I can. I can control my self. Forever...."

Do you have any idea how many conga lines at awful Long Island weddings I skillfully avoided as a young one in the eighties??? "No old lady, I will not grab you by your sparkly waist and dance around this gaudy banquet hall."

Oh, also.... I know that the actual lyrics are, "shake ya body baby," but seriously, everyone says, "chicky body baby," right? ...No probably not...

It's just that when that song came out, that's what my friends upstairs thought the words were.... and I dunno, they would run around and sing it randomly....Like we were playin some kinda tag in the courtyard between the building and Monica just starts singing this....tauntingly???

So eh... if God fuhbid I hear that song, that's how I hear it...as, "chicky body baby".....and aas a taunt...... Anyway.... I want you to know that I have no time for Buster Poindexter's, "Hot Hot Hot," either.... Sorry David Johansen, I know we have a bond and everything, but it's just that if I hear those sounds, "my head will be on a swivel," as Ronnie B. would say..... On a swivel, it will be looking out for roaming conga lines....... I cannot be swept in.

Oooh, oops I almost started writing a letter to a New York Doll here, err... I get confused..... but anyway....

You heard me say it already... I avoided them lines like the plague....at Long Island cousins' weddings.... when I was a kid. If one of em started up, I made sure that I kept an eye on that conga line.....knew where it was at all times..... I would chant in my head almost like a mantra, "Don't even do it....don't come near me... DO NOT even come near me..." I'd be willing the conga to leave me be.....

Look, I'll tell you what my problem is... I AM SHY. I am shy and having to feel hideously embarrassed doesn't help that situation as much as you might think. OK, so I am shy.... and when I was eight at some wedding, I was sitting there at my table, minding my own business......

Theee conga line, she moves quickly.....

....and as it passes one of my older cousin grabs me out of my chair and was like, "Come on!" I really didn't want any part of it.... I was all freaked... Did you not see the fear in my eyes!?!

Poor child, so self-conscious...... Like all eyes are on you dummy? See, that's where I pretend like I have changed so much since then....

In my memory, slow-motion faces of relatives at my table were motioning, "Go... Go!" Nightmarish....... It felt like it went weaving and winding on forever....... I tried to jump off, but it was to no avail.....and I was just ear-ringingly red-faced with embarrassment....

So now you can see why I made it my b'ness to be sure to dodge and elude all conga lines from that day forth......Until today.....!!!

Now THERE was a conga line I could eagerly join... I was as surprised as anyone, you can believe it! There's a conga line I can support... and not just because of the reports from Fezzie that everyone was, "leaving on a conga line....for more drinks and pills.....and possibly heroin!" Ron said that that conga line was heading to, a train bound for Miami....FILLED with booooze...." That's one helllluva conga line, and why not?

Congratulations to ya Ronnie B...... That's great news that the number of lines documented in ya "Line of the Day," thread on Wackbag passed Showboatin' Pete Rose's record for hits! Wooooooooooooooooooooo hooooooo! See, just remembering that has be in a communal dancing kinda moood...! You have the right to be proud.... I yelled, "Damn right brother, you deserve it!" when Ronnie announced, "I'm gonna spend the rest of my life celebrating! I'm gonna spend the rest of my life in a conga line!"

...and everyone jumped on.... leavin Fezzie in the studio alone! Oh my God, I always panic for Fezzie when yez leave him alone in the studio...that prank.....

Not like I think he'll fall down or start putting forks into electrical sockets like an unattended toddler in some horrific public service announcement.... More like... I think.... "Ooooh no... how would I feel if that happened to me?" See, that's me, baby... all empathy..... I FEEL..... I'd be on the end of that conga line out the door, so quick....

Oooh that was funny as hell... that conga line....... I particularly loved the chants of, "Fuck Pete Rose!" that erupted from the crowd...... and I particularly loved it when Ronnie cheered, "I'm a fuckin legend, baby! I am a GOLDEN GOD!!!" as the conga line twisted dangerously out onto the ledge of the building, as Fezzie lamented, "This party has gotten a little out of hand....VERY, VERY quickly!"

Listen, I did start to feel a creeping fear that maybe Ron wasn't joking about retiring after breaking that record.... Some of those screams of, "All my dreams have come through!!! I've done all I have set out to do! Goodbye everybody! Goodbye!" were a little too realistic for my taste.... I was like, "Dude, don't get too carried away.... I mean.... come back.... Ron...wait...... Coaching? Radio Show Spring Training? Does that even exist?"

Ron added, "And I'll never have to see your face again!!!" Some of the screams were too reminiscent of...really a grab bag of repressed childhood memories.... Am I right? Sometimes teachers snap towards the end of the school year, get fed-up.

Anyway man, I thoroughly enjoyed your well deserved celebrations...Well deserved.....It's like I keep telling you, "You and those lines of yours...you're really somethin."

People tell me I'm good at giving compliments, and then I'm like really aggressive and with a sarcastic face I'm like, "Oh really? Shut the fuck up." Cause I'm not good at taking compliments. I get uncomfortable. That's the thing.

Oh check this out! Jay Mohr and I have something in common... That was the second surprise of the day for me now. If you're keepin track... I may be pro-conga lines now, and then this: Both Jay Mohr and I have gotten baked and then field tripped it to The Liberace Museum while in Vegas....but you know, separately. I'm just sayin that I did the same thing. Someday I pray that, in the future, this fact will be reflected in a Jeopardy question. Just a lil dream.... but listen, I'm not advocating anything here... but that aforementioned, "smoke and roll to Liberace's" maneuver was a lot of fun....a good idea..

It was not a good idea that I basically unwittingly followed in the foot steps of Fezzie and Paul O.....cause I thought I could walk there from The Tropicana, where Bri's company had put us up.... When Fez said today, "It looks MUUUCH closer on the map," I yelled back at the radio, "No shit!" I found that out the hard way too...

That trip could only be considered, "a few blocks," if you were a giant or Godzilla. That was the only unsavory part of the field trip. I kept thinking, "I'm not even gonna be stoned anymore by the time I get there." ... and I almost gave up... but I muscled through... I fought to see those costumes and that glittery piano..... and I was glad I did...

I enjoyed that gift shop too, man.... I laughed when Jay Mohr said that he and his chick were in there like planning a Liberace party.... I laughed cause theme party planning is always pretty killa pot talk, but I guarantee there was a lot of inspiration there.... Ohhh the precious things of the shop...

Ron was right when he said that, "The moment you get high your credit card should be taken away." Ain't that the truth? Excuse me while I glare at the contents of my closet. Man, you are right... That's a program I could sign up for... except that I know when it would come down to it, I'd be all like, "What the fuck makes you think I'm handing over my card?" and then you'd have to pry my sequined Liberace Museum commemorative wallet from my cold, dead hands.

Oh, by the way... on field trips, seems like kids just love a gift shop... I mean, even when I was younger and my father would take us to historical sites and Civil War battlefields and stuff like that we were all about it... and it's so strange cause, why?

I mean, why was I like, "Yeah, I'm totally gonna buy these replicas of bullets used at Gettysburg and this made-to-look-old copy of The Declaration of Independence??" and stuff like that.... One time we were in Warm Springs Georgia at Franklin Roosevelt used to roll at, "The Little White House," and I got this little pen knife with a tiny picture of the house on it...and also a commemorative shot glass. I guess I was about eleven or so.... I dunno...just insane souvenirs..... Oh but the reason that I bring this up is, when we were in Warm Springs, in the gift shop, near the commemorative spoons and my father tells me, "Your Godfather collects these."

I was like, blown away.... Those dainty little spoons with locations printed on their handle? Well the first thing that I found perplexing about this was the fact that my godfather is this big burly dude from my father's old neighborhood..... Didn't make sense to me...

"Why? Why must he remember with every tiny bite?"

Also it occurred to me to maybe tell my pops that those are not the types of stories to spread around if your expecting anybody to buy those, "We were tough guys as kids," kinds of anecdotes. Well, I dunno, I just found that to be like my favorite fact about my godfather.... "The little spoon collector."

Do peoples' godparents play a big part in their lives? I mean I only ask this cause my godfather didn't really.... I come from a time of absentee godparents where we'd seem em like seven times in our entire lives and then would be like, "Hey... sooo....thanks for this stuffed panda, I'm seventeen so this makes perfect sense."

Believe me this isn't bitterness.... I'm just wondering...cause people I know now-a-days who are godparents are alllll about it, and constantly showing up at milestone events and being all involved.... Ahhh.. I guess it just depends on the person eh? I dunno, I was asked to be a godmother once and I was like.... "Yeah, I don't know... what does this entail?" You see...(wipes away a tear) I don't know how to be a godparent because I never had one....sniff, glurrg....

Nah, my godfather is cool though, anytime I've seen 'im...... I'll tell you what, he came through at the ole gal's wedding... I can tell you that much.... Came through with a heavy envelope, and I was like.... "Dude, you are the BEST godfather!" You can be sure that I'll remember this and your peculiar collection of spoons...

I wrote him a thank you note for that and sent him this little spoon that I bought in the airport in Puerto Rico.... Then later I was like... "Hmmmm, I hope that shit my father told me twelve years ago was true,".... cause otherwise that guy's gonna be opening up a package in Brooklyn and thinking, 'What the fuck's this supposed to mean? A small spoon?"

Hmm, why do I keep coming back to wedding talk? Maybe it's because of all of last weeks great shows leading up to Paul O and Melly's wedding at the Hard Rock... Perhaps that is still on my mind cause we wanted to be there.......doh.... Congratulations to them both, again! Happy for em :0)

Something random? OK...... I loved it and I cackled when Ron said that Earl looked like a,
"middle-aged Ben Vereen." Ben Vereen...of course I remember him most from Webster and Muppet Show appearances.... Oh, oh... but there was also this episode of Animaniacs where Brain, from Pinky and the Brain ("one is a genius, the other's insane"), recited this magic spell in order to shrink and it went a lil something like this... "Charlie Sheen, Ben Vereen, shrink to the size of a lima bean!" Yeah, good stuff..... Someday when a song is written about me, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a line featuring Ben Vereen. It'll be handy for rhyming purposes......

After the show I spent some time thinking about what you guys were talking about..... how Ron was saying in so many ways the country is all beginning to look the same.... "There's a Cracker Barrel in every town." Man it's true though.... I'd say, just from our experiences driving around the country...I'd say that over the last five years the sameness phenomena has spread like crazy....Exploded. In every town you'll see the same grouping of chain restaurants springing up.... all similar to the ones surrounding the Potomac Mills Mall area.... the same ones I never go to, try to avoid...... Man, it does seem depressing to envision a modern version of Kerouac's, "On the Road," given that aspect of the ride.....

OK, in almost every single truck stop there seems to be a Subway counter....so much so that after so much traveling the smell of Subway sandwiches just gnarls me... We usually don't get food when we stop to get fuel or whatever... Usually we bring stuff with us and try to find something decent when we reach our destination.... but like I said, sometimes you gotta stop....like when your bladder's about to explode....

So, a couple of weeks ago, goin down to Florida, we got off the highway at this truck stop in South Carolina.... Of course, even in this older, tiny, truck stop there was a Subway. For whatever reason, besides truckers, this bus full of some high school sports team had unloaded there too.... and they were all on line to get sandwiches, and this place was just overwhelmed.... As we were going in, this woman was yelling at no one in particular about how the service was so slow and how she was never goin there again.... and then as she's headed out the door she paused for a moment to punch the life-sized cardboard display of Jared right in the face....

That like made my day.... "Nice outburst!" I wanted to commend the troll...... but I just stored it away to remember for myself. I was thinking, even though our country is becoming homogenized before our eyes, even bizarre locations and foreign truck stops still have a story.....or something like that..... I dunno.... that's me lookin on the brightside? Ehhhh.... Nah, it's sad.

Oh! Also, I thought of that attack on cardboard Jared cause Fezzie brought him up as he was the subject of a Z-Man blog....... It made me recall that, "Ooooh Jared hate is widespread!" In every town...? OK... anyway.... I'll really stop rambling now..... Talk to ya later...

Signed,

kathleen from the Bronx :):):)

PS- I'll do everything I can to never say the words, "conga line," again. I mean, I was gonna try to mix it up and make up something like, "The anaconda-like group dance from the pit of Hell," but I thought..." Eh, (shrug).... That ain't doin it for me..." and then the thesaurus was precious little help. I repeated.... I hope nobody was seething through this reading like, "Lady....say conga line ONE MORE TIME..." while repeatedly pounding their fist into their other hand..... Sorry!

drusilla
02-25-2008, 09:53 PM
and then as she's headed out the door she paused for a moment to punch the life-sized cardboard display of Jared right in the face....

that's just fantastic.

drjoek
02-26-2008, 07:22 PM
http://www.streetswing.com/histmain/gif/9conga.gif
Say conga again I dare ya
:clap:

DOHO@HOME
02-27-2008, 05:39 AM
I was talking with a friend that is a huge fan and all we could do was fuckin laugh and try to do are recap of the show.
This show is starting to rule all my free time and I love it.
Love your blog keep on keeping on.......

Furtherman
02-27-2008, 06:07 AM
By jove Kathleen you're right!

I was cracking up so much listening to the conga line that I didn't even realize the other feeling I had. A tingling in my feet. A jitter in my hips. It wasn't restless leg syndrome... it was the urge to join the conga line. But I detest conga lines! But for that one day, it was OK.

flatterfit
02-27-2008, 05:22 PM
How do you do it?
I laughed reading your blog almost as much as I did during the actual show.

ralphbxny
02-27-2008, 06:24 PM
I actually Figured out how to make long walks not seem that far in Las Vegas and that is taking advantage of the open container law and knowing where the bathrooms are along the way.

Kathleen From The Bronx
02-28-2008, 12:11 AM
that's just fantastic.

Dude, at the time I so wished I had some secret filming device.... to capture the scene.... cause it was a dooozy..... and it would be nice to watch that over and over for a smile on a rainy day or something... You're right! I should totally start secretly filming everything and everybody...... I've been meaning to anyway.... So...

http://www.streetswing.com/histmain/gif/9conga.gif
Say conga again I dare ya
:clap:

Cong...... nope, nope...... Never A-GAIN! :0) :0) :0)

By jove Kathleen you're right!

I was cracking up so much listening to the conga line that I didn't even realize the other feeling I had. A tingling in my feet. A jitter in my hips. It wasn't restless leg syndrome... it was the urge to join the conga line. But I detest conga lines! But for that one day, it was OK.

I wish I said that thing about restless leg syndrome....cause I laughed when you did..... I laughed and then said.... "daaaaamn..." cause I wished I had thoughta that.... You win again Furtherman.... You win again..... :0)

I actually Figured out how to make long walks not seem that far in Las Vegas and that is taking advantage of the open container law and knowing where the bathrooms are along the way.

Man, you are an expert planner.... You're like the George Costanza of Las Vegas.... Memba that episode where George was like, "You give me any intersection in New York City, I'll tell you the best and closest bathroom...." Quite handy!

Thanks for reading the ramblings, everybody who did...... Feel appreciated right now!