You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Andre the Giant [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Andre the Giant

CYYYFYYY
03-05-2008, 08:25 PM
I wonder if he wrestled today, would he be viewed as great or just a big fat big man

marcpsych
03-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Good question.

I think it would depend on which Andre (pre-1983 back operation Andre or post) and whether he was a face or heel. In today's day and age, he would almost certainly be a heel from the get-go.

Andre was incredibly agile and athletic in his prime, even though Vince Sr. kept him grounded.

Basically, it all depends on whether he was kept strong in the booking, which would probably not happen, since Vince Jr. is an idiot in terms of not keeping people strong.

But in terms of his working ability and psychology, if he was still able to call his own matches, he would be awesome to watch.

The problem today is that they want to make everyone the same, and guys are not able to control their own characters in the ring or behind the mic. Everyone is dictated to, and all crowd interaction and psychology is out the window.

Marcpsych

commish13
03-06-2008, 01:10 AM
I think if he came up into the business now with the same abilities he had when he actually did come up, by the end of his career people would probably remember him the same way they will remember the Big Show. The business is a lot different now, and it's going to be hard for guys who come up these days to be looked at as legends like the guys who got their start 20 to 30 years ago. The fans are also different in that if he just shows good psychology but doesn't do anything to wow them in the ring, he won't be looked back on as an amazing big man, but rather an above average one who was able to overcome his size and be a good wrestler.

I think that if he worked on the indy scene, though, he would become a MASSIVE commodity. He wouldn't be known and remembered on as huge a stage as he is, but a smaller amount of fans would think of him as a bonafide legend when his career ended as opposed to, if he came through WWE from the start, a large amount of fans would think of him as a good big man who had an impressive career.

cougarjake13
03-06-2008, 01:15 PM
prob the same way they view the big show now

CruelCircus
03-10-2008, 09:54 PM
It's hard to compare that scenario to Big Show now.
Remember, our view of Big Show is always going to be tempered by the fact that there WAS an Andre the Giant who came before.

How much more impressive would we think Show is if there had never been an Andre to compare him to?

I think if Andre came along today, with no legendary 7 footer in our memory banks for comparison, he would be a monster star. Probably bigger than he was in the 80's.

cougarjake13
03-11-2008, 12:58 PM
It's hard to compare that scenario to Big Show now.
Remember, our view of Big Show is always going to be tempered by the fact that there WAS an Andre the Giant who came before.

How much more impressive would we think Show is if there had never been an Andre to compare him to?

I think if Andre came along today, with no legendary 7 footer in our memory banks for comparison, he would be a monster star. Probably bigger than he was in the 80's.

very true

DoubleJ
03-11-2008, 01:16 PM
No shit, he was a wrestler? I thought he was just a movie star.

"I'm carrying three people, and he got only himself."

jonyrotn
03-11-2008, 01:30 PM
If he wrestled now? Well it depends..Would he have to wrestle alive wrestlers or only other dead ones?

ralphbxny
03-11-2008, 01:35 PM
I loved heel Andre. Rip the Crucifix off of the huslksters neck!!