You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
What makes you buy a ticket? [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : What makes you buy a ticket?

Section 8
04-14-2008, 05:56 PM
It seems that there are still independent wrestling companies that demand that you sell tickets as proof that people want to see you wrestle. I just want to know what makes you decide to buy tickets to see a wrestling show, independently run or otherwise.

Comments are welcome.

Heather 8
04-15-2008, 03:26 AM

Hosp
04-15-2008, 03:33 AM
It depends. I've traveled for friend's shows (which I would do for you guys but it's always when I'm working or have family commitments.) I've been to shows just because I'm in the area and they're there.

Indy shows are hard to figure out. Am I really going to show up because The Zombie or Johnny Valiant are on the card? Probably not. But I've learned from the time that I followed JAP you never know who will become a big star in the future so sometimes it's worth the time.

Heather 8
04-15-2008, 03:39 AM
It depends. I've traveled for friend's shows (which I would do for you guys but it's always when I'm working or have family commitments.) .

BODYSLAM & Liberty have shows on Friday and Saturday... quick, whatcha doin'?!! :tongue:

Hosp
04-15-2008, 04:06 AM
BODYSLAM & Liberty have shows on Friday and Saturday... quick, whatcha doin'?!! :tongue:

Friday nights I work until 9 in Queens, Saturday I'm hanging out with my Roommate who has been away since January and is only in town for this weekend

You think I'm a liar?

SpicyMcHaggis
04-15-2008, 04:17 AM
I get to go to my shows for free so I don't I can answer this one.

Heather 8
04-15-2008, 04:31 AM
Friday nights I work until 9 in Queens, Saturday I'm hanging out with my Roommate who has been away since January and is only in town for this weekend

You think I'm a liar?

No, just throwing it out there. Figured I'd try to get you to a show sometime.

Next Friday, steak dinner (provided by Outback) followed by wrestling fundraiser... quick, what'cha doin'?!! :tongue:

Hosp
04-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Ummm, working until 9, like I said in my last post.

SpicyMcHaggis
04-15-2008, 05:37 AM
I see a trend here, Hosp. What is this "work" you speak of?

When I used to go to indy shows regularly, the thing that would get me to go to one of them was how well the lineup was. If there was a name draw like Sabu or something like that, I'd definitely go.

Fallon
04-15-2008, 09:30 AM
It used to be I was a big fan, now I just go to take my nephew and his friends.

ToddEVF
04-15-2008, 10:16 PM
I see it from many angles here.

Most people will go based on a "name" (i.e. NWA Pro East with Mil Mascaras) or a couple of names

there is not much "loyalty" to independent promotions anymore. However I know I weeped the day BWO went on hiatus and when it returned.

I do look heavily at the card, if possible. Some events peak my interest more than others. But all and all, if its independent and I can get there I go.

Also because I do know someone in the business, whenever I could I would try to make the shows he worked to support him (even if it meant he was a referee for the night [NWA Pro East with Mil Mascaras]).

I can understand an organization saying "Listen, we need you to sell tickets for this show. It might impact the card and/or bookings." Because at the end of the day the promotion is trying to turn a buck. So those who draw a lot of people, even if its family [who sat behind me, and made me deaf by the end of the show], will get some perks.

Being a wrestler in the independent scene is being an independent contractor. You are employed by a promotion for the show you put on. You bring a lot of asses into the seats, they bring you back and possibly give you a nice push.

wow I went on a tangent, but what I'm trying to say is:
If a buddy of mine is on a show, I will go. Same goes for a Legend who doesn't come around that area so much.
If I really respect and enjoy the promotion, I will support the promotion whenever I can.
A weak card will turn people away, so having 1 "high profile" match but the rest of the card be lackluster will have people walking out. A nice balanced card gets me every time.
I will do to a show where some of my favorite wrestlers are, but hopefully soon TNA will be at the North Charleston Coliseum (ba-zing).

there are many factors that make me want to see a show, and especially with Independent shows, when i leave them I like to feel like I have seen something special. The feeling I got back in the old Garfield VFW days.

Hosp
04-16-2008, 07:03 AM
<h1>LETHAL!!!!</h1>

I can't even count how many times I heard his mother scream that, to the point that it was built into an angle.

ToddEVF
04-16-2008, 03:42 PM
<h1>LETHAL!!!!</h1>

I can't even count how many times I heard his mother scream that, to the point that it was built into an angle.

guess you got the reference, hope some of the others did as well.

AnnoyedGrunt
04-16-2008, 03:55 PM
My city isn`t exactly a hotbed of indy wrestling, but we get one off shows every once and while. Two I went to because friends were going and I didn`t know anything about the card. The other two I went specifically because of the name draws in the main event. One had Mikey Whipwreck in a 3 way ladder match and the other was Abdulah the Butcher vs Terry Funk. However, had there been a regular promotion in town with a decent product I probably would have gone regularly based on the shows themselves.

Don Stugots
04-16-2008, 04:04 PM
I show up to see Heather 8 smacking someone.

Heather 8
04-16-2008, 04:26 PM
I show up to get off on Heather 8 smacking me.

Perv. :tongue:

AngelofLight
05-10-2008, 12:29 PM
all over the arena in back of the arena...just Undertaker everywhere!