You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Whiskey not... [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Whiskey not...

SinA
04-18-2008, 03:01 PM
So I've just recently started getting into sipping whiskey. Sure, I've had the stuff before now and then, but mostly in cocktails and shots.
I guess my new found appreciation started with a trip to the Jack Daniel's distillery in Lynchburg, Tennessee. Seeing the process made me want to understand and appreciate it more, and of course I bought one of those special bottles you can only get there. I eased into it with ice and water (too much really), and kind of tempered my taste to the point where I take it ... well, with less ice and water, but not overly diluted.

Any other whiskey drinkers (not just the sops)? Good labels you'd recommend, especially any smaller labels?

weekapaugjz
04-18-2008, 03:05 PM
my brother got me a bottle of jefferson bourbon for christmas that was absolutely fantastic. i highly recommend it.

also, you can never go wrong with crown royal.

BoondockSaint
04-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Stop drinking Jack Daniels. (http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/03-05/03_05_jack_daniel.htm)

As most savvy drinkers are by now aware, Jack Daniel’s Old No. 7 is no longer with us.

It has been knifed in the back by the greedy corporate clowns at Brown-Forman, the conglomerate that bought the Jack Daniel distillery in 1956. Mr. Daniel’s once excellent whiskey began life as a 90 proof liquor, but about 17 years ago the proof was lowered to 86. Now it has been lowered again, to a timid 80 proof. America’s best bourbon is now a ghost.

The decision makers at Brown-Forman have not only rendered Jack’s whiskey less palatable, they have also managed to defile an important part of our national heritage.

weekapaugjz
04-18-2008, 03:27 PM
another good bourbon i just remembered is bulleit. my friend brought it to a new years party and i drank quite a fair share of it.

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/bulleit-bourbon.jpg

BoondockSaint
04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Oh and some good bourbons are:

Booker's
Evan Williams
Jim Beam Black Label
And if you can find it: Buffalo Trace.

SinA
04-18-2008, 03:45 PM
another good bourbon i just remembered is bulleit. my friend brought it to a new years party and i drank quite a fair share of it.

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/bulleit-bourbon.jpg

i like that too. as a matter of fact i think you recommended it to me a while back.

however... it's a bourbon, not whiskey. personally, i don't see a diff., but i live in tennessee now, so i gotta toe the state line

edit - i like buffalo trace too

TheGameHHH
04-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Oh and some good bourbons are:

Booker's
Evan Williams
Jim Beam Black Label
And if you can find it: Buffalo Trace.

Are you joking or are those serious reccomendations? Evan Williams is Jack Daniel's red headed step child. It might be one of the worst tasting "bourbons" I've ever had. Though I am intrigued by Buffalo Trace, I've never even heard of it but it sounds good as hell.

BoondockSaint
04-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Are you joking or are those serious reccomendations? Evan Williams is Jack Daniel's red headed step child. It might be one of the worst tasting "bourbons" I've ever had. Though I am intrigued by Buffalo Trace, I've never even heard of it but it sounds good as hell.

Evan Williams is a good, cheap bourbon.

Bossfan
04-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Maker's Mark fan since day one.

TheGameHHH
04-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Evan Williams is a good, cheap bourbon.

I would just go with cheap, but we all have different tastes so im not gonna rag on ya for it. If you notice after you have a glass of Evan it starts tasting almost similar to Jack.

BoondockSaint
04-18-2008, 04:03 PM
I would just go with cheap, but we all have different tastes so im not gonna rag on ya for it. If you notice after you have a glass of Evan it starts tasting almost similar to Jack.

Not to me. Like you said, we all have different tastes. I know people who like Jim Beam white label better than black label. Drink what you like, not what you're supposed to like.

PhilDeez
04-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Blantons
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

sailor
04-18-2008, 04:08 PM
however... it's a bourbon, not whiskey. personally, i don't see a diff., but i live in tennessee now, so i gotta toe the state line

jack daniels is a tennessee whiskey, a sub-class of bourbons, much as bourbon is a sub-class of the larger whiskey group. to compare jack daniels with other whiskeys but not other bourbons is silly (and apparently there is only one other tennessee whiskey).

eeroomnhoj
04-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Blantons
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

I vote for Blanton's, though my wife does get upset when I spend forty dollars for a fifth.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:AZi6WtELIV5KlM:http://www.minivodkaguy.com

eeroomnhoj
04-18-2008, 05:16 PM
A few others I have enjoyed
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:L9Uf_8SubQyYiM:http://www.stx.ox.ac.uk/system
and
http://www.virginiamoonshine.com/kk.jpg
I don't think Kopper Kettle is widely known, but it's local and I prefer locally produced products when possible.

SinA
04-18-2008, 05:21 PM
jack daniels is a tennessee whiskey, a sub-class of bourbons, much as bourbon is a sub-class of the larger whiskey group. to compare jack daniels with other whiskeys but not other bourbons is silly (and apparently there is only one other tennessee whiskey).

i know that, and you know that, but try 'splainin' it to the hayseeds

EliSnow
04-18-2008, 05:27 PM
I used to drink Jack Daniels, now all I drink is Knob Creek.

Yosammity
04-18-2008, 05:50 PM
Give up on the bourbon and start drinking scotch like a gentleman. Spring Bank makes a nice smooth scotch that a beginner would enjoy.

DarkHippie
04-18-2008, 06:56 PM
If you wanna go irish, Bushmills is a personal favorite of mine. add a lil water to bring out the flavor

moochcassidy
04-18-2008, 08:40 PM
my racial demons and the whiskey dont mix

KC2OSO
04-18-2008, 08:42 PM
http://library.bevnetwork.com/labels/170/7654.jpg

ADF
04-18-2008, 08:48 PM
I've never developed a palate for the stuff. I bought my brother some Johnnie Walker Blue for the holidays and tried a glass on the rocks. Just tasted like whiskey to me. Bleah. He said it was the best he'd ever had, but maybe he was just being nice.

dino_electropolis
04-18-2008, 10:19 PM
Chivas Regal.......best out there.

Furtherman
04-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Powers Whiskey.

JimBeam
04-19-2008, 11:20 AM
I don't believe that Jack Daniels is a bourbon at all.

It's a whiskey as is every bourbon and all bourbons are whiskies but not all whiskies are bourbon.

Isn't there something about naming something a bourbon, aside from the ingredients and how it's aged, that relates to the county/state in which it's made ?

I've never really been a sipper of the bourbons, mostly have them in cola, and with those I've always done Jim Beam and those higher end ones related to them ( Basil Hayden, Bookers, Bakers and Knob Creek ).

JimBeam
04-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Guess I was wrong ( according to Wikipedia ) :

On 4 May 1964, the U.S. Congress recognized Bourbon Whiskey as a “distinctive product of the United States," creating the Federal Standards of Identity for Bourbon. Federal regulations now stipulate that Bourbon must meet these requirements:

Bourbon must be made in the United States.
Bourbon must be made of a grain mixture that is at least 51% corn.[1]
Bourbon must be distilled to no more than 160 (U.S.) proof.
Bourbon must be 100% natural (nothing other than water added to the mixture).
Bourbon must be aged in new, American, charred oak barrels.[1]
Bourbon which meets the above requirements and has been aged for a minimum of two years, may (but is not required to) be called Straight Bourbon.[2]
Bourbon aged for a period less than four years must be labelled with the duration of its aging.

Birthplace :

This claim is a little misleading. Bourbon whiskey was named for the original Bourbon County, which in 1786 covered most of northeastern Kentucky, which was itself then still a territory of Virginia. Whiskey was an early product of that Bourbon County and it had a unique flavor, being made mostly from corn (maize), so it was called Bourbon to distinguish it from other regional whiskey styles, such as Monongahela, a product of western Pennsylvania. Thirty-four modern Kentucky counties were once part of the original Bourbon, including the current county of that name.[3]

Definition of Tennessee whiskey :

Tennessee whiskey is a bourbon whiskey that undergoes a filtering stage called the Lincoln County Process, in which the whiskey is filtered through a thick layer of maple charcoal before it is put into casks for aging. This step gives the whiskey a distinctive flavour. The process itself is named for Lincoln County, Tennessee, which is where the Jack Daniel's distillery was originally located. In 1871, the Jack Daniel's distillery, and the surrounding area became part of the newly created Moore County. Tennessee whiskey is defined as a bourbon whiskey under Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Chapter 1, Part 5, Section 5.22. [1]

Presently, there are only two brands of Tennessee whiskey on the market: Jack Daniel's and George Dickel.

Tall_James
04-19-2008, 02:11 PM
http://www.lebonvin.co.uk/images/products/woodfordreserve.jpg

Its what I currently drink.

sailor
04-19-2008, 04:06 PM

gvac was right (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68561).

bossdjbware
04-19-2008, 04:56 PM
I always liked Basil Hayden. I used to work in a Cajun restaurant with a nice selection of bourbon. Every night, after my shift ,it was bourbon either with Ginger Ale, ice, or just straight up.

Now, I don't touch the stuff.

Death Metal Moe
04-19-2008, 05:11 PM
When I can afford it I drink:

http://jenniferleeland.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/250px-crown_royal_-_box_bottle_bag.jpg

or

http://www.american.edu/TED/images4/IrishwhiskeyTullamore.jpg

What I usually end up drinking is Jack's 1st cousin who is 10 bucks cheaper a bottle:

http://www.liquorbrands.com/images/Evan_Williams_Black_Bottle_Shot_web.jpg

weekapaugjz
04-19-2008, 07:27 PM
currently sipping on a canadian club. nothing to write home about but a decent lower end whiskey. i really wish it was a crown.

grlNIN
04-19-2008, 07:42 PM
This thread makes me want to vomit in my mouth.

When i was a teenager and going to bars in the city (Heeeey Bar 9) i drank copious amounts of shit i cant even stomach to think about now.

Rum, Gin, Whiskey.

When i turned 21 i went on a 3 week binge of screw drivers and gin and tonics.

It kind of makes me sad because it's really good stuff but i just drank way too much of it and that's completely turned me off to the stuff.

weekapaugjz
04-19-2008, 07:47 PM
This thread makes me want to vomit in my mouth.

When i was a teenager and going to bars in the city (Heeeey Bar 9) i drank copious amounts of shit i cant even stomach to think about now.

Rum, Gin, Whiskey.

When i turned 21 i went on a 3 week binge of screw drivers and gin and tonics.

It kind of makes me sad because it's really good stuff but i just drank way too much of it and that's completely turned me off to the stuff.

then why read it?

p.s. - your opinion makes me want to vomit.

grlNIN
04-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Oh ok the reason is because i can and your face makes me want to vomit.

Waaaaaaaah someone doesn't like my alcohol waaaaaah.

weekapaugjz
04-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Oh ok the reason is because i can and your face makes me want to vomit.

Waaaaaaaah someone doesn't like my alcohol waaaaaah.

good one.

Bob Impact
04-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Everyone do me a favor and stop drinking shit. Jack Daniels is shit. Evan Williams is shit.

Booker's is OK. Knob Creek is better. Balvenie is good. I'll go with Glen livit on occasion as well, but my every day is Balvenie or Maker's.

grlNIN
04-19-2008, 07:58 PM
good one.

TRUE.

weekapaugjz
04-19-2008, 08:03 PM
TRUE.

is it?

grlNIN
04-19-2008, 08:08 PM
'Tis.

Death Metal Moe
04-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Everyone do me a favor and stop drinking shit. Jack Daniels is shit. Evan Williams is shit.

Booker's is OK. Knob Creek is better. Balvenie is good. I'll go with Glen livit on occasion as well, but my every day is Balvenie or Maker's.

If we're talking about enoying, sure. I agree.

If we're talking about just downing a few quick to get a buzz on, I'm not speding $50 a bottle on that. $12 a bottle of Evan Williams FTW.

Death Metal Moe
04-19-2008, 08:42 PM
then why read it?

p.s. - your opinion makes me want to vomit.

Is there some reason you attacked her story? Because I can't find a good one.

weekapaugjz
04-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Is there some reason you attacked her story? Because I can't find a good one.

if there is something that makes you want to vomit, why read through the thread and make a post in it? i understand that everyone can post anywhere they want, but why waste your time or energy, just skip over it and go post in a thread that is more your liking.

grlNIN
04-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Listen you old person, my saying this thread makes me want to vomit-although true was more an over the top statement made for effect.

If you want to be a douchebag, go ahead, you're already on a 6,000+ post roll but please refrain from responding to me in any context.

I also find it funny that you didn't even make this thread and you were offended, maybe you need to check into AA.

weekapaugjz
04-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Listen you old person, my saying this thread makes me want to vomit-although true was more an over the top statement made for effect.

If you want to be a douchebag, go ahead, you're already on a 6,000+ post roll but please refrain from responding to me in any context.

I also find it funny that you didn't even make this thread and you were offended, maybe you need to check into AA.

trust me, i wasn't offended. i forgot to add an "s" at the end of "opinion". its just you in general. :bye:

grlNIN
04-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Ok cool, so then you won't mind my last opinion towards you in this thread.

You're a foul beast.

weekapaugjz
04-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Ok cool, so then you won't mind my last opinion towards you in this thread.

You're a foul beast.

thank you! i really appreciate your kind words! XOXO!!!

CruelCircus
04-20-2008, 02:21 AM
Gotta echo the Maker's Mark and Woodford's Reserve choices. Also check out Eagle Rare Single Barrel. Knob Creek is good, too, but you have to be careful with 109 proof.

www.smallbatch.com (http://www.smallbatch.com)

Picked up a bottle of Jack Daniels Monogram at the JFK duty-free last month (you can't get it in a regular store in the US) and it is amazing!

I'll be making a couple of distillery visits in two weeks when I'm down at the Kentucky Derby.

There's actually a bourbon called "Hudson Bay" that's made in upstate New York. Haven't tried it yet, however.

As for scotch, I received a bottle of Lagavulin 16 for Christmas that I rather enjoy, even though I'm not a big scotch guy. Can't stand any sort of blended scotch, though.

Peas Old
04-20-2008, 03:37 AM
Makers has the coolest bottle, but it's bourbon. Get yourself a nice bottle of Jameson.

eeroomnhoj
04-20-2008, 03:52 AM
I am looking forward to camping with several familes next weekend. Generally we bring a bottle of whiskey to drink throughout the weekend. The women tend to like theirs with Ginger Ale. I look forward to these weekends of sitting around the campfire at night when the kids are alseep sipping on whiskey (good or bad, cheap or expensive). I suppose we would still enjoy these times even if we were sipping on Natural Light (Wait, I have enjoyed these weekends while sipping on Natural Light).

I am just about finished with a bottle of Kopper Kettle (a small distillery in Culpeper Virginia 12 miles west of my house). I do get to go purchase another bottle before the trip and may buy another bottle of Kopper Kettle or VIrginia Gentleman (brewed 12 miled in the other direction from my house). Then again, my wife may bitch and I'll get Kim Beam.

Peas Old
04-20-2008, 05:50 AM
I'd need a crate of booze. Of course I'm working on my third beer and it's 9:48 on a Sunday morning. Wife is out town!

Death Metal Moe
04-20-2008, 07:18 AM
if there is something that makes you want to vomit, why read through the thread and make a post in it? i understand that everyone can post anywhere they want, but why waste your time or energy, just skip over it and go post in a thread that is more your liking.

That's funny, I don't see "Stay On Topic Police" or "Post Intent Police" under your name.

If someone posts something that isn't on topic with the thread, ignore it if you don't like it. If no one truly cared her post would have been forgotten about and skipped over. You drawing attention to it started your dumb little tit for tat fight that's lasted like a dozen posts.

It works both ways. Sure, maybe a post about a whiskey horror story doesn't ultimately belong in a whiskey lovers thread, but grlNIN's been here a long time, I think we can forgive her one. The other side is, ignore it if you don't like it. You drew attention to her post that wasn't actually a sidetracking event yet and totally made it one.

JimBeam
04-20-2008, 09:20 AM
I remember the first shot of bourbon ( at least I think it was a bourbon ) I ever did, on a spring break, was Old Grandad.

I also remember drinking some shit called Heavenly Hill at a party in college.

As I remember it was the worst tasting booze I had ever had and I don't think it's been topped since.

hurlmon
04-21-2008, 05:49 AM
I don't see "Stay On Topic Police" or "Post Intent Police" under your name..

It's not under yours either

If someone posts something that isn't on topic with the thread, ignore it if you don't like it.... You drawing attention to it started your dumb little tit for tat fight that's lasted like a dozen posts....

The other side is, ignore it if you don't like it. You drew attention to her post that wasn't actually a sidetracking event yet and totally made it one.

Seems your doing the same as him by just not ignoring it no? Just wondering. You seem to be lecturing him and I can't figure out why?

Death Metal Moe
04-21-2008, 05:55 AM
It's not under yours either

Seems your doing the same as him by just not ignoring it no? Just wondering. You seem to be lecturing him and I can't figure out why?

Look Closer, you'll see my title. Then remember it.

This thread was already sidetracked, he needed to know how he was the one that fucked it up. Now he does. That OK with you sunshine?

hurlmon
04-21-2008, 06:00 AM
Look Closer, you'll see my title. Then remember it.

This thread was already sidetracked, he needed to know how he was the one that fucked it up. Now he does. That OK with you sunshine?

Wah, he did it first.

So 2 wrongs make a right? Now I get it.
And your the one whe needs to tell everybody when they fuck up?
Still don't see it in the title. Oh well.

A little testy first thing in the morning huh?

aceofspades7
04-21-2008, 06:19 AM
I love whiskey - I usually drink Jim Beam black and Canadian Club but I have a special selection in my bar that I pull out with guests - William L. Weller, Hirsch 16 and 20 y.o., Hirsch 21 y.o. rye, George T. Stagg, Thomas Handy, and Yamazaki 18 y.o.

Death Metal Moe
04-21-2008, 06:38 AM
Wah, he did it first.

So 2 wrongs make a right? Now I get it.
And your the one whe needs to tell everybody when they fuck up?
Still don't see it in the title. Oh well.

A little testy first thing in the morning huh?

Should I even get into what a now 4th party drawing attention to this is doing to an otherwise decent discussion about whiskey?

hurlmon
04-21-2008, 06:44 AM
Should I even get into what a now 4th party drawing attention to this is doing to an otherwise decent discussion about whiskey?

Please do since it seems to your job to tell people when they fucked up.

Death Metal Moe
04-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Please do since it seems to your job to tell people when they fucked up.

Ya see what you're doing?

I'm done, start talking about whiskey again.

Bob Impact
04-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Ya see what you're doing?

I'm done, start talking about whiskey again.

Gladly, although it's a Scotch, I'm a big fan of Glenfiddich for a reasonably priced bottle.

KC2OSO
04-21-2008, 09:27 AM
Don't forget the granite cubes...

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/b6/3/AAAAAryd9GEAAAAAALY8nw.jpg?v=1198192360000

My scotch is neither helped nor hurt by a little tap water. It's filtered anyway.

FunkyDrummer
04-21-2008, 09:54 AM
http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp/@0_mall/kawachi/cabinet/products2/fightingcock6yo.jpg

Furtherman
01-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Whisky Comes Home After Century on Ice (http://news.discovery.com/history/whisky-shackleton-south-pole-century-110117.html)

Three bottles of whisky abandoned in the Antarctic ice by British explorer Sir Ernest Shackleton have been returned to Scotland.

The whisky is believed to have been bottled in Scotland in 1896 or 1897, making it among the oldest in the world.

For the next six weeks, the whisky will be analysed, nosed, and tasted in full laboratory conditions.

Six weeks? In six hours most of it will be gone, half a bottle will be in some guy's chest and there will be a window broken and a car stolen. Most likely a fire too.

By the way, if you never read up on Shackleton, do yourself a favor and do it... one of the more incredible exploring stories of the past century.

CountryBob
01-20-2011, 07:55 AM
Whisky Comes Home After Century on Ice (http://news.discovery.com/history/whisky-shackleton-south-pole-century-110117.html)

Six weeks? In six hours most of it will be gone, half a bottle will be in some guy's chest and there will be a window broken and a car stolen. Most likely a fire too.

By the way, if you never read up on Shackleton, do yourself a favor and do it... one of the more incredible exploring stories of the past century.

Heard that they are gonna place the booze back under the floor in that hut - anyone got directions?

Kublakhan61
01-20-2011, 04:06 PM

TRUTH! It's an astounding history that reads like pure fiction.

cougarjake13
01-20-2011, 06:04 PM
love jack daniels

never tried knob creek is it any good ??