You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Listening to AMV. A primer. [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Listening to AMV. A primer.

Hottub
05-06-2008, 06:31 PM
For the most part, all reviews of the podcast were more than positive. I for one, enjoyed the hell out of it. But then again, I was raised a different way.
Many a childhood night was spent in my room after bedtime with my radio tuned to WOR. I would be up until midnight (on a school night) listening to the tales Jean Sheppard told.
Over the course of a few years, I personally got to know Schwartz, Flick and Bruno. It is all how the story is told, and how well the teller can paint a picture. Sleeves in in that same category.
Today, too many people are image driven. The thought of just listening is not enough. This is sad. When an image is drawn with words, it allows your mind to take over and create the scene from within. This is magical. This is real. They call it theater of the mind for a reason.

I suggest dimming the lights, pouring a tall glass of Port, and starting with AMV #1. Learn to know how Sherwin became who is is. How he developed into the "person" that he is.
Let your mind take over. AMV has no explosions or CGI. If that is what you are looking for, sorry.
Try to be a bit less ADD and think.

Thank you for reading my rant.

midwestjeff
05-06-2008, 06:35 PM
but are there dick jokes?

(sorry Tub, I couldn't resist.)

Tall_James
05-06-2008, 06:35 PM
AMV has no explosions or CGI.

Just wait until you see what Lawson did with the video of the AMV stage show.

It's gonna make "Armageddon" look like a Merchant Ivory film.

mikeyboy
05-06-2008, 06:37 PM
headphones -- I always listen with headphones. It's more enveloping that way. That's my recommendation.

DiabloSammich
05-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Pay attention.

Don't think this is something you can throw on for background noise and enjoy. Let it envelope you.

Mikey's headphones are great, but just as good is a quiet car on a long trip with no distractions.

By number 3 you'll realize you're hooked.

Epschtein
05-06-2008, 07:11 PM
i was an instant fan because of the masterful mood creation, it reminded me of when i used to live in oregon, thru the fall and early winter every sunday night me and my roommates used to open up the house and light a fire in the fireplace and listen to "joe frank's: work in progress" series on the radio.

for anyone that enjoy's sleeves you should check out joe's podcast, the content is hit and miss even for big fans, but the quality is always top notch, he is also a master at using music and timing to create enveloping moods.

sleeves shows are high quality radio, very impressive.

Bob Impact
05-07-2008, 03:18 AM
headphones -- I always listen with headphones. It's more enveloping that way. That's my recommendation.

Ding ding ding. Winner. AMV+Headphones = Yay.

Bob Impact
05-07-2008, 03:19 AM
Just wait until you see what Lawson did with the video of the AMV stage show.

It's gonna make "Armageddon" look like a Merchant Ivory film.

Does your head make a cameo?

Tall_James
05-07-2008, 04:01 AM
Does your head make a cameo?

What do you think explodes?

Sleeves
05-07-2008, 05:07 AM
The truth is that AMV has always been a drinking game.

I know it took two years and Sherlock Sheepy to figure out...but it's true.

It was designed as a drinking game, that's why it's so slow and strange.

Balloon.

(also I thought the reaction was pretty good considering. I don't think AMV really fits on 202 and so I was expecting that ill-fittingness to be more obvious...)

ANd I just want to say thank you, oh you headphone-wearing, able-to-slow-downables!

And yes, Tall James Head is the star of AMV the movie. At first, we tried to remove it using After Effects, but now we're just using it like a huge theater screen and are projecting various advertisements on it from big name brands such as Ovaltine.

Balloon.

Chigworthy
05-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Tub, I had similar interests as a kid. We lived at our remote cabin for a while when my Dad was building our house. This place had no phone or power, and was about an hour from town. Very remote. KCBS out of San Francisco would switch to old CBS radio drama at 9 every night. Listening to Mystery Theater as the moonlight saturated my schoolwork, my love of radio drama was born. Although completely original, Sleeves really is a radio ghost (http://radioghost.com) of sorts, as this American art form is all but extinct.

Bob Impact
05-07-2008, 02:46 PM
The truth is that AMV has always been a drinking game.

I know it took two years and Sherlock Sheepy to figure out...but it's true.

It was designed as a drinking game, that's why it's so slow and strange.

Balloon.

(also I thought the reaction was pretty good considering. I don't think AMV really fits on 202 and so I was expecting that ill-fittingness to be more obvious...)

ANd I just want to say thank you, oh you headphone-wearing, able-to-slow-downables!

And yes, Tall James Head is the star of AMV the movie. At first, we tried to remove it using After Effects, but now we're just using it like a huge theater screen and are projecting various advertisements on it from big name brands such as Ovaltine.

Balloon.
Can you see on the video that I was throwing assorted things at his head throughout the performance? I threw a toaster, a small dog and a Winebago. He didn't notice.

Lawson
05-07-2008, 03:31 PM
Can you see on the video that I was throwing assorted things at his head throughout the performance? I threw a toaster, a small dog and a Winebago. He didn't notice.

You were throwing those at Tall James? I thought you were tossing them at Sleeves for his impromptu toaster/small dog/Winebago juggling act…

And the small dog was frozen, come to think of it everything in the theater was frozen…

And…

Balloon

docgoblin
05-10-2008, 05:08 AM
When and where is the AMV movie going to be unveiled?

Sleeves
05-10-2008, 06:49 AM
When and where is the AMV movie going to be unveiled?

I have an edited copy of it in my DVD player (courtesy of Lawson, who filmed, produced, edited, etc.)...

it's very well shot and physically very good, sound and image...but I don't really enjoy watching myself and so I'm stalling out the whole thing...

but it should be done soon... and then it will have a worldwide release and we'll probably follow the Paulo distribution scheme - of taking orders by phone and schlepping the discs at the same time...

Bob Impact
05-10-2008, 07:32 AM
I have an edited copy of it in my DVD player (courtesy of Lawson, who filmed, produced, edited, etc.)...

it's very well shot and physically very good, sound and image...but I don't really enjoy watching myself and so I'm stalling out the whole thing...

but it should be done soon... and then it will have a worldwide release and we'll probably follow the Paulo distribution scheme - of taking orders by phone and schlepping the discs at the same time...

I'm in on the first run!

docgoblin
05-10-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm in on the first run!

Me too!:clap:

moochcassidy
05-10-2008, 09:27 AM
i thought it was little 'blue' for my tastes

balloon

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PGrZkUQ6_r8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PGrZkUQ6_r8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

docgoblin
05-10-2008, 09:32 AM
i thought it was little too 'blue' for my tastes

Do you mean 'blue' as in 'melancholy' or 'blue' as in 'the lighting wasn't quite right'? At any rate, I just looked at the teaser and it seems to be filmed well for the short bit provided. I'm a big fan of the series and can't wait to see the play.

Tall_James
05-10-2008, 09:33 AM

Oh, I noticed all right. I was just too polite to interrupt the performance.

Glad to hear you made back all right with that cut brake line.

moochcassidy
05-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Do you mean 'blue' as in 'melancholy' or 'blue' as in 'the lighting wasn't quite right'? At any rate, I just looked at the teaser and it seems to be filmed well for the short bit provided. I'm a big fan of the series and can't wait to see the play.

no vid looks great.

meant blue as in 'filthyminded'... thought i heard sleevesybaby drop the F Bomb in the podcast

Sleeves
05-10-2008, 09:55 AM
no vid looks great.

meant blue as in 'filthyminded'... thought i heard sleevesybaby drop the F Bomb in the podcast

That wasn't me, that was Andrew Lee, who said "Fucking blood cancer...!"

But I think that was the first naughty word so far in Amv...

I saved it for XM. Just to show the kids what I'm made of.

moochcassidy
05-10-2008, 10:29 AM
That wasn't me, that was Andrew Lee, who said "Fucking blood cancer...!"

But I think that was the first naughty word so far in Amv...

I saved it for XM. Just to show the kids what I'm made of.

weird i couldve sworn you called Arthur Barrel-Bain a snivelling shiterag in 15

Sleeves
05-10-2008, 10:52 AM
weird i couldve sworn you called Arthur Barrel-Bain a snivelling shiterag in 15

shite doesn't mean anything in America...not quite yet, not in my estimation. It might in the next few years become an official curse...but right now it's just a fun knife-like britishy sound...

kind of like bloody doesn't mean anything over here...

i'm backpeddling...you're right...

If i ever get to do another XM pod i'm gonna drop the c-bomb twice

moochcassidy
05-10-2008, 11:06 AM

thats fred's act

Lawson
05-10-2008, 05:17 PM

Just one word... bootlegs

you know, just sayin' :innocent:

mikeyboy
05-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Just one word... bootlegs

you know, just sayin' :innocent:

Oooh. Can I set them up on a blanket and sell them to passersby in Grand Central Station near the crosstown shuttle? I'm gonna need a lookout.

docgoblin
05-11-2008, 04:39 AM
shite doesn't mean anything in America...not quite yet, not in my estimation. It might in the next few years become an official curse...but right now it's just a fun knife-like britishy sound...

kind of like bloody doesn't mean anything over here...

i'm backpeddling...you're right...

Oh, now I know what Mooch meant by 'blue!' You are a fowl-mouthed individual and I shall never let my kids listen to your program ever again!... I also have a good mind to write a letter to the FCC!... Friggin' potty mouth!