You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Fixing the tag team division [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the tag team division

Nick the Cock
05-21-2008, 04:24 AM
It seems in the mid eightees that the tag team titles were ten times more important then now. Anyone have any theories on how to fix the anemic tag division?

I don't think unestablished teams that don't have a name should get title shots. Let them create a new Hart Foundation, Steiner Brothers, Legion of Doom.

King Hippos Bandaid
05-21-2008, 06:23 AM
tag teams are waste of time

in this greedy society the IC belt and the US Belt are also Jokes

it is all about the Main Title these days

RhinoinMN
05-21-2008, 06:31 AM
I though that this was about getting our tag privileges back.

Damn.

Knowledged_one
05-21-2008, 06:49 AM
I though that this was about getting our tag privileges back.

Damn.

You really thought that that was the topic in a wrestling thread, where the title is how to fix the tag team division

really

i mean really

seriously really

RhinoinMN
05-21-2008, 06:51 AM
You really thought that that was the topic in a wrestling thread, where the title is how to fix the tag team division

really

i mean really

seriously really

It was a stretch. Really, seriously, really.

I wanted to get at least one post in a wrestling thread. Now I have two. I will leave now.

Matty_poo
05-21-2008, 08:25 AM
honestlyi think the whole thing just needs a complete overhaul, no on sees any importance in them now (meaning the 5-10 year olds who the wwe try to appeal to)

Knowledged_one
05-21-2008, 09:00 AM
the tag division is always ebb and flow in the WWE

For every horrid year with the AOA, Boriquas, the Godwins and headshrinkers

you get a year with The Dudleys, Edge and Christian and Hardys

Matty_poo
05-21-2008, 09:02 AM
this may be blasphamy, however when they came out i thought MNM was going to be a great tag team, until they were split

SpicyMcHaggis
05-22-2008, 04:14 AM
I agree. It's different times nowadays. With so many titles floating around, how can any of them be made to be significant? Back in the glory days of WWF it was all about three titles:

- World
- IC
- Tag Team

Three titles. That's it. Now you've got two sets of every title (except for Women's) and one extra World title on a brand that not many care about (ECW). Vince is all about making single stars rather than teams.

Knowledged_one
05-22-2008, 06:41 AM
dont forget about the short lived European championship

conman823
05-22-2008, 09:20 AM
I thing is a major problem in the whole WWE right now: Title Oversaturation.

I've been saying for yrs now. They should bring back the Undisputed Title. 1 title to travel to both brands. ECW should be decapatated, soaked in acid, and thrown out of a plane into a volcano.

The Tag Title should also be a unified belt.

Make the IC Title and US Title the "TV" titles for the brands. This way at PPV and Major PPV's there can be some build-up for a "Mid Card".

But whatever I havent watched WWE in a month because its just awful again.

TNA, TNA!!

cougarjake13
05-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I thing is a major problem in the whole WWE right now: Title Oversaturation.

I've been saying for yrs now. They should bring back the Undisputed Title. 1 title to travel to both brands. ECW should be decapatated, soaked in acid, and thrown out of a plane into a volcano.

The Tag Title should also be a unified belt.

Make the IC Title and US Title the "TV" titles for the brands. This way at PPV and Major PPV's there can be some build-up for a "Mid Card".

But whatever I havent watched WWE in a month because its just awful again.

TNA, TNA!!

it'll never happen

that makes too much sense

Nick the Cock
05-22-2008, 09:01 PM
WCW seemed to have had a formula to make every belt important. There was a lot of unimportant garbage included, but every title match was big, even the light or welterweight title (can't remember what it was called).

Haha, I forgot all about the European Championship. Where is D-lo Brown these days anyways. He may have been the lesser member of the Nation of Domination, but he was the only one to have ever held the European Championship.

Chimee
05-22-2008, 09:42 PM
WCW seemed to have had a formula to make every belt important. There was a lot of unimportant garbage included, but every title match was big,

Especially on January 4, 1999.

Nick the Cock
05-22-2008, 10:01 PM
I layeth a curse on Chimee. He caused me to use the inet for research.

WCW Monday NITRO Archives - 1999

January 4, 1999: Hugh Morrus pinned Glacier...Booker T. pinned Emory Hale...Chavo Guerrero Jr. pinned Norman Smiley...Chris Benoit defeated Horace Hogan...Chris Jericho defeated Perry Saturn by Disqualification...Psichosis and Juventud Guerrera defeated World Cruiserweight Champion, Billy Kidman, and Rey Misterio Jr....Konnan defeated World Televison Champion, Scott Steiner, by Disqualification...Wrath and Bam Bam Bigelow fought to a Double Count Out...Diamond Dallas Page pinned Brian Adams...Hollywood Hogan pinned Kevin Nash to win the World Heavyweight Title.

Heather 8
05-23-2008, 03:22 AM

Fingerpoke of DOOOOOOOOM! :thumbdown:

cougarjake13
05-23-2008, 05:14 AM
WCW seemed to have had a formula to make every belt important. There was a lot of unimportant garbage included, but every title match was big, even the light or welterweight title (can't remember what it was called).

Haha, I forgot all about the European Championship. Where is D-lo Brown these days anyways. He may have been the lesser member of the Nation of Domination, but he was the only one to have ever held the European Championship.

last i saw he was in tna but that was a year or 2 ago

Knowledged_one
05-23-2008, 05:28 AM

I see your fingerpoke and raise you a

The next night a show was aired (April 26), Arquette teamed with Page in a match against Bischoff and Jeff Jarrett with the stipulation that whichever man got the pin would take the championship. Arquette again pinned Bischoff, to win the match, thus making him the WCW World Heavyweight Champion

shot of bluegray
05-23-2008, 08:40 AM
How about this angle. McMahon in all his ego-ridden glory, brings back the old Jim Crocket Sr. Tag Team Tourney, of course renaming it the Vincent K. McMahon Tag Team Tournament with a "$1 million" purse.

Tag teams could reunite for this one shot deal. In addition, singles wrestlers who are middle of the pack could team for the chance to win the mil. Afterwards, some stay, and some feud based on what happens. The main event guys might or might not enter.

Plus you throw in a couple of luchadores or old legends (Rock and Roll, etc) to spice the first round up. Make it a two night thing...Sunday night PPV with the finals on Raw the next night. If the crowd digs it, start enhancing the division, if not, hey, it's a one time thing that can elevate some mid card guys by winning the tourney, and it'll create feuds for single guys.

Just a thought.

Knowledged_one
05-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Im still waiting for a scaffold match

shot of bluegray
05-23-2008, 08:59 AM
LOL, scaffold matches hurt my soul....thousands of people looking up as 4 guys try to balance themselves because some union guys left a couple of screws and bolts out.

Bring back War Games!!!!!!!!!1

Nick the Cock
05-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Dam fine suggestion shot of bluegrey with the tourney. I have found hope in posting again.

ToddEVF
05-24-2008, 09:41 AM
How about this angle. McMahon in all his ego-ridden glory, brings back the old Jim Crocket Sr. Tag Team Tourney, of course renaming it the Vincent K. McMahon Tag Team Tournament with a "$1 million" purse.

Tag teams could reunite for this one shot deal. In addition, singles wrestlers who are middle of the pack could team for the chance to win the mil. Afterwards, some stay, and some feud based on what happens. The main event guys might or might not enter.

Plus you throw in a couple of luchadores or old legends (Rock and Roll, etc) to spice the first round up. Make it a two night thing...Sunday night PPV with the finals on Raw the next night. If the crowd digs it, start enhancing the division, if not, hey, it's a one time thing that can elevate some mid card guys by winning the tourney, and it'll create feuds for single guys.

Just a thought.

I only see two problems with this.

1) They would milk the tourny for everything it was worth which would include doing tons of "qualifier" matches. Thus causing people to be sick of tag teams.

2) Most likely the semi-finals and finals would be on PPV, where as the opening rounds (depending on how many teams) would probably be shown on a Saturday Night Main Event. Because god forbid Vince gives a huge match for free.

shot of bluegray
05-27-2008, 11:25 AM
yeah, Vince's mind does work different from ours, but if he thought a little outside the box, it could work. He announces it at the start of a Raw, then, throughout that show, ECW and Smackdown, there would be scenes of wrestlers going through the partner selection thought process. Perhaps wrestler A would think wrestler B should be his partner because of their history. Wrestler B rejects the offer, going for some new talent (Wrestler C). Spurned, wrestler A attacks B, only to be jumped by wrestler C. Instant feud, single or tag team related.

You avoid the qualifying matches by having certain singles wrestlers reject even participating in the tourney (like the Undertaker needs $1mil). Certain reunions get teased, only to never come to fruition (Rockers, D-X, Evolution, etc). Or you have some of the blow off qualifying matches on Smackdown and Raw in order to set up some singles/ tag matches at the PPV.

The build up would take perhaps 2 weeks, then the qualifying matches on free tv, and the semi finals/finals on the PPV, with some new storyline coming from that program.

Knowledged_one
05-27-2008, 11:43 AM
In my opinion looking at the tournament is a good idea but you cant involve the main event talent in this.

And the solution to fix the titles is make the tag titles unified over both Raw and Smackdown.

Let the talent be able to move between the shows as tag team partners and see how that works out. I remember when Yokozuna was tag champ with Owen Hart i hated at first but it grew on me and they were effective.

By sharing the talent from two shows and one set of belts you can set it up to run the tournament over both shows

shot of bluegray
05-27-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't think unifying the tag team titles necessarily does anything but eliminate a title- the interest would quickly die because in the end, you have the same teams no one cares about anyway.

I agree, top talent (HHH, Orton, Edge, Taker, etc) wouldn't be interested in it due to whatever current storyline they're in (or new stroylines/feuds could be established because those very top stars reject offers to be in the tournament). You end up with a ton of mid card guys from all three shows. Teams would do the qualifying matches on any of the three shows, so the fans would be able to see different groups that they typically don't see on their shows, which could lead into more storyline (some Raw guys not liking ECW, rubbing some of the ECW guys the wrong way, causing them to lose their qualifying matches, etc).

Because of the "interest", viewers would tune into the other shows because their favorite Raw/ECW/Smackdown wrestler will be on the other show trying to qualify.

The great thing about the old NWA Jim Crockett Tag Team Tourney (for those who can't remember those old days) was that you had established teams, guest teams (Mexican and Japanese teams would show up from time to time) and established singles stars teaming for some purpose (Dusty and Nikita, Lex and Sting, etc). Flair never participated in the tourney because...well, he was Ric Flair. The Crockett storyline didn't run too long, and the PPV always seemed to be a decent show.

With young talent coming in every day it seems, this is a good way of keeping them in the spotlight, hiding their one on one flaws and establishing them in the public eye.

I don't even know what the entire WWE roster is, but if I had a night, I bet I could put something together...lemme see what I come up with now :drunk:

Knowledged_one
05-27-2008, 12:58 PM
Well you have Crime Time, the redneck tag team, Rhodes and Holly, DiBiasie's son and whoever his partner is (my bet is Great Khali or Big Show), Deuce and Domino, Kendrick and i cant remember his partner, i think they should put Chuck Palumbo in a team with someone, the La Familia team, they have the Shelton Benjamin and the black guy he is with, The retarded guy and his cousin

And those are just off the top of my head

Team_Ramrod
05-27-2008, 01:56 PM

I remember when Mick won the title.... he was soooo cute when he spoke about his kids.

Back on topic, I was thinking this the other night when I was watching Polumbo fight Finley... He needs to die his hair blonde, get some pink tights, make a phone call to Billy and get the division out of the rut it's in.

shot of bluegray
05-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Phew, finally got done with some work. Here's some fantasy booking for you:

Two sided bracket, each champ is a top seed (built-in angle, as some teams would be bent out of shape for not being the top seeds). Brands are irrelevant for this, to encourage some reunions and other interesting teams.

Left bracket:
Holly and Rhodes vs. Guido and Palumbo (natural team)

Carlito and Santino (are they still together?) vs. Burke and Kingston (Jive Tones 2K8 for those who even remember that reference)

Cryme Tyme vs DH Smith and DiBiase- Cryme Tyme gets over because they're a clown act, so a loss to these next gen stars won't hurt them all that bad

Haas and Benjamin vs. Dreamer and Richards- The World's Greatest Tag Team faces off against hardcore legends

Hass/Benjamin and Smith/DiBiase win for a nice match for the second round.

Right Bracket:
Miz and Morrison vs Hawkins and Ryder (aren't these Edge's flunkies?)

Deuce and Domino vs. Cade and Murdoch

Shannon Moore and Jimmy Wang Yang vs Robby and Rory

Kendrick and London vs Festus and Jesse (Kendrick and London win, as do Moore and Yang, setting up a great semi final match that should pique interest)

Semi finals are:
Rhodes and Holly vs Smith and DiBiase (Cinderella Team)
Miz and Morrison vs Kendrick and London

Pick your finals. Hell, pick anything. In fact, you'd probably want one of the champs lose (titles are not on the line) to a team to build up a future feud. Move things around in order to have either two great teams fighting for the mil or have a top team and a Cinderella team face each other.

Last angle...one of the teams get jumped after their match in the 1st round, injuring them, allowing for a replacement team...perhaps the one night return of the Hardys or something.

New feuds can start based on the matchups...and some teams members will fight based on the tournament. A champ losing to a team but not winning the titles starts a feud for the belt, and perhaps the two teams in the final fight for a couple of weeks/months.

That's quick fantasy booking for ya. Thoughts? The trouble is these teams, by themselves, are pretty f'n boring, so the tournament will definitely be needed to generate heat.

DH Smith and DiBiase (nice angle with the next gen stars)

cougarjake13
05-30-2008, 05:27 PM
Phew, finally got done with some work. Here's some fantasy booking for you:

Two sided bracket, each champ is a top seed (built-in angle, as some teams would be bent out of shape for not being the top seeds). Brands are irrelevant for this, to encourage some reunions and other interesting teams.

Left bracket:
Holly and Rhodes vs. Guido and Palumbo (natural team)

Carlito and Santino (are they still together?) vs. Burke and Kingston (Jive Tones 2K8 for those who even remember that reference)

Cryme Tyme vs DH Smith and DiBiase- Cryme Tyme gets over because they're a clown act, so a loss to these next gen stars won't hurt them all that bad

Haas and Benjamin vs. Dreamer and Richards- The World's Greatest Tag Team faces off against hardcore legends

Hass/Benjamin and Smith/DiBiase win for a nice match for the second round.

Right Bracket:
Miz and Morrison vs Hawkins and Ryder (aren't these Edge's flunkies?)

Deuce and Domino vs. Cade and Murdoch

Shannon Moore and Jimmy Wang Yang vs Robby and Rory

Kendrick and London vs Festus and Jesse (Kendrick and London win, as do Moore and Yang, setting up a great semi final match that should pique interest)

Semi finals are:
Rhodes and Holly vs Smith and DiBiase (Cinderella Team)
Miz and Morrison vs Kendrick and London

Pick your finals. Hell, pick anything. In fact, you'd probably want one of the champs lose (titles are not on the line) to a team to build up a future feud. Move things around in order to have either two great teams fighting for the mil or have a top team and a Cinderella team face each other.

Last angle...one of the teams get jumped after their match in the 1st round, injuring them, allowing for a replacement team...perhaps the one night return of the Hardys or something.

New feuds can start based on the matchups...and some teams members will fight based on the tournament. A champ losing to a team but not winning the titles starts a feud for the belt, and perhaps the two teams in the final fight for a couple of weeks/months.

That's quick fantasy booking for ya. Thoughts? The trouble is these teams, by themselves, are pretty f'n boring, so the tournament will definitely be needed to generate heat.

DH Smith and DiBiase (nice angle with the next gen stars)

idea itself is great

wwe and vince just dont care about the tag division

Nick the Cock
05-31-2008, 05:24 AM
I like your examples. I would like to double the tournament size and add a couple of different teams.

1) Randy Savage and Roddy Pipper
2) Dig up some guys from an indy fed that draws a strong regional pull
3) David Flair and Crowbar
4) Hall and Nash will do anything for an extra buck
5) Hell the Steiners can still compete
6) Shane McMahon and someone new, that looks like the next great legend of wrestling.
7) A team of Doink the Clowns (Three of them)
8) Insane Clown Posse

These teams would make the first two rounds entertaining.

9) The indy guys defeat Savage an Piper to draw popularity. That and those guys are too old to keep fighting in a tournament.

10) Flair and Crowbar defeat Hall and Nash, since McMahon only wanted them around for temporary draw and Flair and Crowbar are more entertaining. They have to bring the chick that screems all the time of course.

11) McMahon/ ?? defeat the Steiners

12) ICP over the Doinks in a circus of a match with Vampiro saving the day.

13) Ric Flair comes to corner Flair/Crowbar to victory over the Indy guys.

14) McMahon/?? defeat ICP with Vince's help knocking out Vampiro

15) Ric Flair cornering Flair/Crowbar loses to Vince McMahon corning ShaneOMac/ ???

This all would add dastalgia to the tourney, plus Flair and McMahon's involvement would make it seem more important also.

We really need to get hired, I would love to hear more of Patrices experiences when he was a writer for WWE.

Don Stugots
05-31-2008, 04:46 PM
We might see the tag division turn around when Cody turns on Hardcore Holly and starts to team with Ted Jr. to reform Money Inc.

SpicyMcHaggis
05-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I think that might happen, too.

The Next Generation:
- Ted DiBiase Jr.
- Cody Rhodes
- Afa Jr.
- DH Smith
- Randy Orton (to lead them all and add cred)