You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Your Famous Meatloaf. [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Your Famous Meatloaf.

Hottub
05-22-2008, 01:50 PM
I'll bet if you ask 100 people, you will get 100 different recipes.

So spill it. How do you make yours?

Tub's

Fresh ground beef. You can get it at the butcher's for nearly the same price as the supermarket
An egg
Breadcrumbs
Worcestershire sauce
Finely chopped onions
Garlic powder
Oregano

Kneed all ingredients together and form a loaf.
Lay strips of hickory smoked bacon across the top, covering the loaf.

350 for about 45 minutes.

Done. Enjoy.

underdog
05-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Ground Pork
Ground Beef
Spicy Sausage
Breadcrumbs
Eggs
Random spices
Chopped Peppers
Chopped Onions

I like to keep the peppers and onions in big chunks so you get that flavor, too, when you eat the meatloaf.

And if you're making meatloaf, don't use a loaf pan! Put it on a cookie sheet and form a loaf. You get the crunchy, outside goodness all over, instead of just the top.

Furtherman
05-22-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't make meatloaf.

I make sweet, sweet love.

midwestjeff
05-22-2008, 02:07 PM
You want my secret recipe?
I would do anything for Tub, but I won't do that.

Stttrrrrreeeetttttcccchhhh.

johnniehardrock
05-22-2008, 02:12 PM
MMMMEATLLLLLLOAFFFFFF

Ground beef
1 Egg
Breadcrumbs
Parmasean Cheese
Mustard
Salt
Pepper

Form into loaf and place bacon over the top

I love to take some potatos and peel them and cut them up and put them around the meatloaf.

YUMMMM

joethebartender
05-22-2008, 02:33 PM
I'll bet if you ask 100 people, you will get 100 different recipes.

So spill it. How do you make yours?

Tub's

Fresh ground beef. You can get it at the butcher's for nearly the same price as the supermarket
An egg
Breadcrumbs
Worcestershire sauce
Finely chopped onions
Garlic powder
Oregano

Mine is almost the same except I use a mix of ground pork/beef/veal, fresh garlic (through a press) and add minced carrots. I put the bacon around it also... No ketchup!
I like to make a gravy out of whatever is left in the baking dish.

MMmmmmmmeatloaf for dinner...
http://www.horrorstew.com/images/HotPatootie002.jpg

Jughead
05-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Ground Pork
Ground Beef
Spicy Sausage
Breadcrumbs
Eggs
Random spices
Chopped Peppers
Chopped Onions

I like to keep the peppers and onions in big chunks so you get that flavor, too, when you eat the meatloaf.

And if you're making meatloaf, don't use a loaf pan! Put it on a cookie sheet and form a loaf. You get the crunchy, outside goodness all over, instead of just the top.

About the same but I use goldfish crackers for that cheesy taste..Oh and mustard on top instead of ketchup.......UMM

KingGeno
05-22-2008, 02:51 PM
I use very similar meatloaf, but I replace bread crumbs with Quaker Oats. I feel it gives it a better texture and taste.

I cover the meatloaf in a mixture of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce (http://www.sweetbabyrays.com/Sauce.aspx), Frank's Red Hot Sauce (http://www.franksredhot.com/), and spices.

Jughead
05-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Love the Franks..Just sayin..No I don't eat it on pork rinds:wink:

reeshy
05-22-2008, 02:54 PM
KETCHUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plenty o' ketchup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

underdog
05-22-2008, 03:03 PM
I cover the meatloaf in a mixture of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce (http://www.sweetbabyrays.com/Sauce.aspx), Frank's Red Hot Sauce (http://www.franksredhot.com/), and spices.

Oh man. I'm stealing this. :thumbup:

What's the mixture? Like 1 to 1?

BlackSpider
05-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I make Meatloaf like they did in 1977.

- With songs written by Jim Steinman...

KingGeno
05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Oh man. I'm stealing this. :thumbup:

What's the mixture? Like 1 to 1?

Hmm. I would say to taste?

I put the BBQ sauce in a bowl or cup or whatev, and then I put just enough hot sauce in to cover the top of the BBQ sauce. Good amount of italian seasoning, garlic powder, and a dash of cayan pepper. Combine with the cayan pepper, I would balance the hot sauce. Too much hot can squash flavor (which I am sure you know).

I put some on top midway through cooking, but a SMALL amount. And then once it is finished, I put the majority of it on and let it bake a little longer to harden up the sauce. Some mashed potatoes or sweet potato mash, and it is really excellent.

I hope you enjoy. :smile:

Bulldogcakes
05-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Funny you should bring this up, HT. I was just reading last months "Cooks Illustrated" (BTW-best cooking magazine on the planet. Nothing else comes close) and they discussed soaking the crumbs in a small amount of milk for a Ragu sauce. They said it makes the meat retain more moisture and flavor, and the proteins from the milk mix with blah blah blah. They can get pretty technical at times, but their recipes never fail when followed. And the recipes are unfailingly great. Its pretty much a full time test kitchen, so all the recipes are tasted and tested a zillion times before they print them.

Anyway, the same principle should apply to meatloaf.

TooLowBrow
05-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Funny you should bring this up, HT. I was just reading last months "Cooks Illustrated" (BTW-best cooking magazine on the planet. Nothing else comes close) and they discussed soaking the crumbs in a small amount of milk for a Ragu sauce. They said it makes the meat retain more moisture and flavor, and the proteins from the milk mix with blah blah blah. They can get pretty technical at times, but their recipes never fail when followed. And the recipes are unfailingly great. Its pretty much a full time test kitchen, so all the recipes are tasted and tested a zillion times before they print them.

Anyway, the same principle should apply to meatloaf.

the same is true for a really great meatball

sailor
05-22-2008, 05:14 PM
the same is true for a really great meatball

i was just gonna say that.

TooLowBrow
05-22-2008, 05:33 PM
i was just gonna say that.

tyler's ultimate meatballs?

joethebartender
05-22-2008, 11:02 PM
About the same but I use goldfish crackers for that cheesy taste..Oh and mustard on top instead of ketchup.......UMM

F the mustard (you can't beat a bacon wrapped loaf)...but the goldfish crackers are GENIUS!!!! I will try this next time. Great call!

How about the turkey meatloaf? Anyone have a good one? I use a lot of peppers/ onions and pineapple slices in mine.

EddieMoscone
05-23-2008, 02:08 AM
We put a couple of hard boiled eggs in the center of our meatloaf...

sailor
05-23-2008, 03:03 AM
tyler's ultimate meatballs?

nah, i've just always made mine that way. just looked up tyler's (http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_22339,00.html) and it was just too involved for me. pignoli? really?

KingGeno
08-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Made a "leftovers" meatloaf last night, and it turned out excellent.

Fresh ground turkey
An egg
Stove Top Stuffing
Finely chopped onions
Garlic powder
Italian Seasoning
Chickpeas
Corn

Served w/ Turkey Gravy and Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce (http://www.sweetbabyrays.com/Sauce.aspx) mix

midwestjeff
08-26-2008, 07:07 AM
Served w/ Turkey Gravy and Sweet Baby Ray's Honey BBQ sauce (http://www.sweetbabyrays.com/Sauce.aspx)[/I] mix

That sounds kind of gross but I imagine anything mixed with Sweet Baby Ray's would be delicious, including shit and jizz. I love that stuff.

KingGeno
08-26-2008, 07:10 AM
That sounds kind of gross but I imagine anything mixed with Sweet Baby Ray's would be delicious, including shit and jizz. I love that stuff.

I drowned out the whole crazy gravy concotion by dipping each bite into Garlic Mashed Potatoes. That helped.

angrymissy
08-26-2008, 07:11 AM
I have at least 5 different meatloaves I make, it is my specialty. Jeff wants to open a meatloaf restaurant to showcase them.

Glazed Sweet and Sour meatloaf
Italian Meatloaf
Amish Mealoaf
Onion Meatloaf
My family meatloaf
Turkey/spinach/peppers low fat meatloaf

I do not use any combinations of meat - strictly ground beef.

I also made filet mignon meatloaf once. We got a good deal on a giant tenderloin and were eating it for weeks, I decided to grind it and make a meatloaf.

I also have various mashed potatoes to go with. I ALWAYS make from scratch.

RAAMONE
08-26-2008, 07:13 AM

damn that was a modquote like 30 seconds after you posted

midwestjeff
08-26-2008, 07:18 AM
damn that was a modquote like 30 seconds after you posted

Yeah, I had a feeling it might be a bad idea
but the mod's are usually so lazy that I figured I was safe.
Good to see they are on their toes.
I'm going to mail them all a nice piece of meatloaf.
Except Hottub, he gets cock pics.

KingGeno
08-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Glazed Sweet and Sour meatloaf

Do Want~~~~~ Starvin...

My family meatloaf

With Tears sauce???
http://www.dailynugget.com/images/cartman_scott.jpg

Thebazile78
08-26-2008, 07:49 AM
I would've thought with this buncha drunks that SOMEONE else would put beer in theirs!

(Yes, when I make meatloaf, and I haven't for a while, I use beer. And shredded onions with their juice are the greatest ... I got that from a recipe for meat balls.)

RoseBlood
08-26-2008, 12:05 PM
I dont know how to make meatloaf but this thread title made me think of the time my mother made a ginormous heart shaped Valentines meatloaf for my father. It wound up looking like a big butt but it tasted good nonetheless :laugh:

GreatAmericanZero
08-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I use very similar meatloaf, but I replace bread crumbs with Quaker Oats. I feel it gives it a better texture and taste.

i put sweet baby rays on everything anyway. best bbq sauce everrrrrrrrrrr

GreatAmericanZero
09-01-2008, 04:11 PM
ok im going to make my first ever meatloaf tomorrow (im way excited)! Here is the recipe I dreamed up

pound of ground beef, an egg, green onion, bread crumbs, habenero mustard, some sweet baby rays bbq sauce and put that in my "loaf pan", and bake it at like 350 for an hour

now, controversy. I was told by another member of this site that i should put some "milk" in it. I don't like buying milk cuz then i have leftover milk in my fridge that goes bad. You guys ever hear of that?

EddieMoscone
09-01-2008, 05:55 PM
now, controversy. I was told by another member of this site that i should put some "milk" in it. I don't like buying milk cuz then i have leftover milk in my fridge that goes bad. You guys ever hear of that?

I've heard of soaking breadcrumbs in milk first, but only for burgers, not for meatloaf. I guess it could be done.

Thebazile78
09-02-2008, 04:23 AM

You can use any number of tasty liquids as a binder.

Personally, I use half to 3/4 of a bottle of beer.

GreatAmericanZero
09-02-2008, 02:50 PM
ok im going to make my first ever meatloaf tomorrow (im way excited)! Here is the recipe I dreamed up

pound of ground beef, an egg, green onion, bread crumbs, habenero mustard, some sweet baby rays bbq sauce and put that in my "loaf pan", and bake it at like 350 for an hour

ok i made this exact recipe (i added salt and pepper) and 350 at 45mins (i used only a pound of ground beef)...its easily the best meatloaf i ever tasted. so good

Yeah im interesting in mixing beer with it now. I read one recipe that said to make it with wine. Now that I know i can cook an awesome meatloaf (and thats all i can cook apparently) im going to experiment alot

zildjian361
09-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Meat Loaf Dead Ringer For Love, featuring Cher':clap:

angrymissy
09-02-2008, 05:14 PM

In aforementioned "family meatloaf", Grandma's secret that she recently revealed to me was half and half.

Hottub
09-02-2008, 05:17 PM
In aforementioned "family meatloaf", Grandma's secret that she recently revealed to me was half and half.

Should I use fresh?:laugh:

Chigworthy
09-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Hmmmmmm. I'm thinkin':

Ground lamb meatloaf with a dash of good yogurt, naan crumbs, fresh mint, etc. I've made a similar concoction that I hand-shaped around skewers and grilled, it were tasty. I've got a freezer full of our own lamb and an archaic grinder with hunger pangs. But I'm just too lazy right now. Someone else make it.

GreatAmericanZero
09-02-2008, 05:40 PM
Hmmmmmm. I'm thinkin':

Ground lamb meatloaf with a dash of good yogurt, naan crumbs, fresh mint, etc. I've made a similar concoction that I hand-shaped around skewers and grilled, it were tasty. I've got a freezer full of our own lamb and an archaic grinder with hunger pangs. But I'm just too lazy right now. Someone else make it.

oh my god, im not even bullshitting you, i thought the same thing. tell me how it goes

and with the "milk" or "half and half" thing, i was told only to add a tablespoon...so u dont add much. I wonder how it affects the taste

Chigworthy
09-02-2008, 05:42 PM
and with the "milk" or "half and half" thing, i was told only to add a tablespoon...so u dont add much. I wonder how it affects the taste

Restraint is the most important trait of a good chef.

GreatAmericanZero
09-07-2008, 01:13 PM
ok im making another meatloaf tonight with the same exact recipe, but i added in a bit of beer to the meat as well. really exciting!

Farmer Dave
09-07-2008, 01:25 PM
The best ones don't have a recipe, only ingredients. After the basics it's all trial and error. And you can never really duplicate that best one. Hey, that's what makes cooking fun.

DolaMight
09-07-2008, 02:42 PM
I once hit Meatloaf in the head with a bagel. He thought it was a bird.

GreatAmericanZero
09-07-2008, 05:25 PM
the meatloaf tonight was as good as my last one. I really have a talent for meat loafs. but i dont know if adding beer made any difference, but i added Swiss Cheese on the top and it was awesome

Lady Resin
09-08-2008, 02:41 PM
After reading ANC praise about HTs recipe. I have to try it. I wasn't a big meat loaf fan. But then my mom, being Irish, cooked everything to death.:blink:

Hottub
09-08-2008, 02:44 PM
As was also discussed, it will make an even better sammich tomorrow.

Liverspot
09-08-2008, 03:54 PM
I saw the mention of this recipe mentioned in today's listening thread, I'm glad it was so easy to find here, made me hungry at lunchtime today. I will be trying this in the next couple of days. Thanks for the recipe:thumbup:

ANC
09-09-2008, 02:37 AM
I saw the mention of this recipe mentioned in today's listening thread, I'm glad it was so easy to find here, made me hungry at lunchtime today. I will be trying this in the next couple of days. Thanks for the recipe:thumbup:

After reading ANC praise about HTs recipe. I have to try it. I wasn't a big meat loaf fan. But then my mom, being Irish, cooked everything to death.:blink:

You will not be disappointed.. This could make it into my weekly dinner rotation.

<---pinched Hottub's loaf :unsure:

Hottub
09-23-2008, 02:58 PM
MEATLOAF UPDATE!

MsTub did me one better.

She quick-browned, and chopped some bacon then added that to the mix of my original recipe.
OH MY GOD!!! Bacon goodness in every single bite. No wonder I've kept her for 13 years.:wub:

Please try it out.

Don Stugots
09-23-2008, 02:59 PM
happy anniversary.

underdog
12-29-2008, 08:14 PM
I'm bumping this thread because I'm making a meatloaf on New Years and I'm looking for new stuff.

I think I'm going to use Geno's recipe for the outside of the loaf, but I'm looking for something different for the delish part.

I'm thinking of chopping up half a habanero, celery and carrots, pureeing them, then slightly browning them and adding them to the meat, spice, egg, pepper and onion (thickly chopped to retain as much flavor as possible) mixture.

I am willing to add to this, or completely steal someone else's recipe. So, what you got?