You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Gravity Question [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Question

debit
09-26-2008, 03:12 PM
It takes 8 minutes for the light from the sun to hit the Earth.

If the sun were to disappear, it would take 8 minutes for everything to go dark on the Earth.

However, would the Earth keep revolving around the spot where the sun was for 8 minutes and then shoot off in a straight line or would it immediately shoot off in a straight line as soon as the sun disappeared?

torker
09-26-2008, 03:15 PM
The big yellow one's the sun.

debit
09-26-2008, 03:20 PM
The big yellow one's the sun.

High school graduate or G.E.D.?

Foster
09-26-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm old school...
I believe the earth is the center of the universe and the sun revolves around us

furie
09-26-2008, 03:24 PM
the earth would shoot off in a straight line, if you can truly define a straight line in space. The line would be straight relative to the orbit.
without the sun creating the gravity well, bending space, our path and that of all the planets would straighten out.

PaintballJ
09-26-2008, 03:24 PM
I haven't taken astronomy in forever, but....

Before a star dies, it expands. If a body gains mass, it should have an increased gravitational pull bringing us into a closer orbit around the sun.

As I understand it, we are the perfect distance from the sun right now to sustain our life. If we move any closer, we die and any further, we die. The earth itself, may even be sucked into the sun before it burns out. If not, it would at least be greatly affected.

Then the whole black hole thing comes into play.

Once the sun stops having a gravitational pull, I would assume we would just start revolving the next largest body in our solar system. right? no? thoughts?

I'm completely talking out of my ass, but that's what I think based on what I've learned.

debit
09-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Before a star dies, it expands. If a body gains mass, it should have an increased gravitational pull bringing us into a closer orbit around the sun.

As I understand it, we are the perfect distance from the sun right now to sustain our life. If we move any closer, we die and any further, we die. The earth itself, may even be sucked into the sun before it burns out. If not, it would at least be greatly affected.

Once the sun stops having a gravitational pull, I would assume we would just start revolving the next largest body in our solar system. right? no? thoughts?

I'm completely talking out of my ass, but that's what I think based on what I've learned.

Okay, people are missing my point.

I don't care whether we would revolve around Jupiter or end up in Alpha Centari.

Does gravity affect objects at the speed or light or is it instantaneous?

torker
09-26-2008, 03:30 PM
High school graduate or G.E.D.?

You can call me Masters.

SinA
09-26-2008, 03:30 PM
right now the earth "wants" to move in a straight line, but the sun is constantly bending the line.

so if the sun instantly disappeared, the earth would oh fuck i don't know.

Foster
09-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Okay, people are missing my point.

I don't care whether we would revolve around Jupiter or end up in Alpha Centari.

Does gravity affect objects at the speed or light or is it instantaneous?

neither...the speed of gravity is .76432 miles per second

debit
09-26-2008, 03:34 PM
neither...the speed of gravity is .76432 miles per second

That makes no sense. Gravity can't have a speed. The more massive the object the bigger the attraction, the faster you would fall towards it.

Foster
09-26-2008, 03:36 PM
That makes no sense. Gravity can't have a speed. The more massive the object the bigger the attraction, the faster you would fall towards it.

I talking about the "specific gravity"

furie
09-26-2008, 03:42 PM

you're over thinking this. the question is< what if he sun would to suddenly disappear.

Foster
09-26-2008, 03:45 PM
you're over thinking this. the question is< what if he sun would to suddenly disappear.

it would be really cold in 8 min.

torker
09-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Magic!
http://voice.files.wordpress.com/2006/05/legend_henning.jpg

disneyspy
09-26-2008, 03:47 PM
actually our orbit is eliptical due to other gravtional pulls(moon and oceans)
with no sun our orbit would still be influenced by these pulls and we would spin off in gyro-orbit,not a straight line put very sqiggily

OGC
09-26-2008, 03:48 PM
It takes 8 minutes for the light from the sun to hit the Earth.

If the sun were to disappear, it would take 8 minutes for everything to go dark on the Earth.

However, would the Earth keep revolving around the spot where the sun was for 8 minutes and then shoot off in a straight line or would it immediately shoot off in a straight line as soon as the sun disappeared?

That's an interesting question. If Fez hadn't somehow pissed off Mike the Teacher, we might have gotten an answer.

Foster
09-26-2008, 03:50 PM
That's an interesting question. If Fez hadn't somehow pissed off Mike the Teacher, we might have gotten an answer.

who needs him we have several different answers without him

Fez4PrezN2008
09-26-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm old school...
I believe the earth is the center of the universe and the sun revolves around us
I'm REALLY old school...
I believe that the sun would not just dissapear in the first place.

Please !

ibanez23
09-26-2008, 03:52 PM
:lol:That's an interesting question. If Fez hadn't somehow pissed off Mike the Teacher, we might have gotten an answer.

furie
09-26-2008, 03:52 PM
actually our orbit is eliptical due to other gravtional pulls(moon and oceans)
with no sun our orbit would still be influenced by these pulls and we would spin off in gyro-orbit,not a straight line put very sqiggily

the moon and definitely the oceans are not what cause our orbit to be elliptical.
it's the influence of larger bodies, like Jupiter and Saturn as well our distance from the sun that makes our orbit an ellipse.

Foster
09-26-2008, 03:54 PM
does the suns heat have anything to do with the gravitational pull?
if so, would it have more or less pull if it went out. (I'm not talking Blackhole either)

Devo37
09-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Gravity propagates at the speed of light. click here (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html)for more info (then click on A New Picture of Gravity).

Westley
09-26-2008, 04:15 PM
can i by pot from you? lolol

Drunky McBetidont
09-26-2008, 04:29 PM
can i by pot from you? lolol

if i can check your profile ;)

MJ4H
09-27-2008, 07:04 AM
holy crap this thread tilts me

delete it immediately

damainer
09-27-2008, 03:55 PM
We would die in a sweltering heat

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:JeZSYwUfncnuUM:http://coloursnshade.com/Gallery/albums/effects/sun_burst.sized.jpg

FezsAssistant
09-27-2008, 03:58 PM
I believe Earl is the big science expert. Call in on Monday and ask him.

tdawg420
09-27-2008, 07:26 PM
can any of you translate to english and give me the lame mans definition of all this? Please and Thank-you.

Love, Trevor

Mike Teacher
09-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Its a great Question, in short what is being asked:

If the sun disappeared instantly; would the earth fly off into space the instant the sun disappeared, or, would the earth not fly off into space until the eight minute travel time it takes light to reach earth?

It takes light And gravity [and any other information about the Sun traveling at the Speed of Light] eight minutes to reach earth so:

At the Sun: The Sun disappears

At The Earth: Everything would look just fine, the Earth would stay in place for those eight minutes because light, gravity, all of it, cant travel faster then light. The disappeared sun would look like it was there, because to our vantage point, it still is.

When the info [light, gravity, all of it] hits earth, at that moment it would fly off into space on a tangent line to its orbit. The influence of the other planets is almost negligible, so we'd shoot right out of the solar system, along with everything else orbiting the sun.

=

To clarify some answers here

Planets do travel in ellipses, not circles, but its not due to tides. All planets follow Keplers laws of motion, and one is that the planets orbit in an allipse with one focus being the sun. The ellipses are highly circular, hence the confusion.

=

This generation really needs another Carl Sagan. Michio Kaku and Brian Greene and Bill Nye are very good, but very good isnt enough. We need someone so good at this, so good at popularizing science that it comes out from under its rock and people start becoming interested again. We're at a low point in science these years.

Hey, its only the most important campaign issue, and is being ignored.

Our national security and science are directly linked. I'll let you guys tell me why. But its true, our science literacy and attitude towards science is the single most important factor to our long term nation security, Fact. Feel free to disagree, you'll lose.

Foster
09-28-2008, 06:01 AM

Our national security and science are directly linked. I'll let you guys tell me why. But its true, our science literacy and attitude towards science is the single most important factor to our long term nation security, Fact. Feel free to disagree, you'll lose.

so what you're saying is, if we get rid of science, it will stop war?

DukeFett
09-28-2008, 06:43 AM
This generation really needs another Carl Sagan. Michio Kaku and Brian Greene and Bill Nye are very good, but very good isnt enough. We need someone so good at this, so good at popularizing science that it comes out from under its rock and people start becoming interested again. We're at a low point in science these years.

Can we nominate you?

PatFromMoonachie
09-28-2008, 07:23 AM
so what you're saying is, if we get rid of science, it will stop war?

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/a/aa/Tantalus_field.jpg/180px-Tantalus_field.jpg

Well, science may end war quicker. Bob Woodward on "60 Minutes (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/04/60minutes/main4415771_page3.shtml)" credited a new technology for the success of the surge in Iraq. ..it sounds like The Tantalus Field from the "Mirror, Mirror" episode of Star Trek! ...

(CBS) "But beyond all of that, Woodward reports, for the first time, that there is a secret behind the success of the surge: a sophisticated and lethal special operations program.

"This is very sensitive and very top secret, but there are secret operational capabilities that have been developed by the military to locate, target, and kill leaders of al Qaeda in Iraq, insurgent leaders, renegade militia leaders. That is one of the true breakthroughs," Woodward told Pelley.

"But what are we talking about here? It's some kind of surveillance? Some kind of targeted way of taking out just the people that you're looking for? The leadership of the enemy?" Pelley asked.

"I'd love to go through the details, but I'm not going to," Woodward replied.

The details, Woodward says, would compromise the program. "

Foster
09-28-2008, 07:28 AM
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/a/aa/Tantalus_field.jpg/180px-Tantalus_field.jpg

Well, science may end war quicker. Bob Woodward on "60 Minutes (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/04/60minutes/main4415771_page3.shtml)" credited a new technology for the success of the surge in Iraq. ..it sounds like The Tantalus Field from the "Mirror, Mirror" episode of Star Trek! ...

(CBS) "But beyond all of that, Woodward reports, for the first time, that there is a secret behind the success of the surge: a sophisticated and lethal special operations program.

"This is very sensitive and very top secret, but there are secret operational capabilities that have been developed by the military to locate, target, and kill leaders of al Qaeda in Iraq, insurgent leaders, renegade militia leaders. That is one of the true breakthroughs," Woodward told Pelley.

"But what are we talking about here? It's some kind of surveillance? Some kind of targeted way of taking out just the people that you're looking for? The leadership of the enemy?" Pelley asked.

"I'd love to go through the details, but I'm not going to," Woodward replied.

The details, Woodward says, would compromise the program. "

cool!
when they get that working do we all have to grow goatees

booster11373
09-28-2008, 07:31 AM
Its a great Question, in short what is being asked:

Why when a sizable MINORITY, that is heavily represented in our Government believe that Jesus is coming back to Earth in their lifetimes to "set things right"

For the record I wholeheartedlly agree with MTT but looks who is charge.....

PatFromMoonachie
09-28-2008, 07:38 AM
cool!
when they get that working do we all have to grow goatees

Only if you're a Vulcan! :tongue:
http://www.farah.cl/SB/spock1.jpg

PatFromMoonachie
09-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Ehhhh ...that WAS a picture of Spock with a beard ....I SWEAR!! :ohmy:

..I guess somebody doesn't like hot-linking! :glurps: (I think that's what I did!)