You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Good News From NASA [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Good News From NASA

KingOf7
11-13-2008, 03:01 PM
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn16038-moon-takes-a-backseat-in-new-space-plan.html

Moon takes a backseat in new space plan

* 20:05 13 November 2008 by Anna Davison
* For similar stories, visit the Spaceflight , Space shuttle and Exploring Mars Topic Guides

The US should be aiming to put astronauts on Mars in the long term and on asteroids in the short term, according to a new report from the Planetary Society.

Instead of trying to recapture the thrill of the Apollo era of lunar exploration by putting people back on the Moon by 2020 - the vision outlined by President Bush in 2004 - the space advocacy organisation is urging the incoming Administration and Congress to set its sights farther beyond Earth.

NASA should begin a new era of human exploration with relatively modest excursions to nearby destinations, such as asteroids, before stepping up to more ambitious missions, including to Mars, the society says.

"We'd like to see a human exploration programme with specific milestones that gets people out above low-Earth orbit, out to other destinations," says society president Jim Bell of Cornell University.

"We're not against going to the Moon," Bell told New Scientist, "but there's perhaps a more logical flow that could be developed. Going to the Moon may make sense at the right time."

Mars is "new and different and exciting. Scientifically, it also has the potential to be very rewarding", Bell added (see NASA urged to focus on sending people to Mars).

Oilfield Canuck #3
11-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Very good stuff. :clap:

Dan 'Hampton
11-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah wouldn't make sense for this to go here:http://ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73978

RickMcCrank47
11-13-2008, 04:32 PM
Yeah wouldn't make sense for this to go here:http://ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73978

hahaha :lol:

furie
11-13-2008, 05:13 PM
i don't know if we will have money for either the moon or Mars.

Fez4PrezN2008
11-13-2008, 06:22 PM
At this rate, they won't be able to afford to take the elevator to the top of the Sear tower.

we're all broke

Dan 'Hampton
11-13-2008, 06:45 PM

Just visiting, not buying.

IamFogHat
11-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Wait wait wait, you mean, Bush...lied to us?

KingOf7
11-13-2008, 07:09 PM

Do we have money for anything else we're doing?

Oilfield Canuck #3
11-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Do we have money for anything else we're doing?

Exactly, fuck USA, our dollar was even with yours, and then your economy went into the shitter, while ours is still stable, and yet somehow our dollar is worth less than yours now.

Fucking money printing assholes. :furious:

Now going to vegas costs me 25% more than it did 3 months ago.

BlackSpider
11-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Exactly, fuck USA, our dollar was even with yours, and then your economy went into the shitter, while ours is still stable, and yet somehow our dollar is worth less than yours now.

Fucking money printing assholes. :furious:

Your welcome for letting you use our army...

Oilfield Canuck #3
11-13-2008, 07:20 PM

Right, we really appreciate it, as does the rest of the world. Go print some more money and keep sticking your noses where they don't belong.

RickMcCrank47
11-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Right, we really appreciate it, as does the rest of the world. Go print some more money and keep sticking your noses where they don't belong.

damn it....i thought for a second you were being sarcastic, but now i see that you ARE genuinely appreciative for our army's protection. :wallbash:

Brandon From Ohio.
11-13-2008, 07:45 PM

Canada has an army.

They have these:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/HMCS_Regina_%28FFH_334%29_1.jpg/800px-HMCS_Regina_%28FFH_334%29_1.jpg

Oilfield Canuck #3
11-13-2008, 07:54 PM
damn it....i thought for a second you were being sarcastic, but now i see that you ARE genuinely appreciative for our army's protection. :wallbash:

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what "letting us use your army" means, when have we needed your Army? We have our own Army which is more than adequate. The rest of the world likes us, so we don't really need the huge force your guys do. You don't see any terrorists attacking Canadian soil. Maybe the American government should try diplomacy for once, instead of bombing the shit out of everything they come across.

And actually, maybe you should be thanking us for letting you use our Air Force base in Cold Lake as a stop over point when flying over the North Pole, that might make it a shitty ride to Russia otherwise.

FTW, I would just like to bring up the War of 1812 when we burned down the White House, that was sweet. :clap:

patsopinion
11-13-2008, 07:57 PM
the hole point of putting people back on the moon was H3 exploration and to explore the moons financial viability as an alternative energy source

its was quite literally space exploration through the eyes of an oil man

Oilfield Canuck #3
11-13-2008, 07:59 PM
the hole point of putting people back on the moon was H3 exploration and to explore the moons financial viability as an alternative energy source

its was quite literally space exploration through the eyes of a simpleton

Fixed.

Also ... good point.

BlackSpider
11-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I'm still trying to figure out exactly what "letting us use your army" means, when have we needed your Army? We have our own Army which is more than adequate. The rest of the world likes us, so we don't really need the huge force your guys do. You don't see any terrorists attacking Canadian soil. Maybe the American government should try diplomacy for once, instead of bombing the shit out of everything they come across.

And actually, maybe you should be thanking us for letting you use our Air Force base in Cold Lake as a stop over point when flying over the North Pole, that might make it a shitty ride to Russia otherwise.

FTW, I would just like to bring up the War of 1812 when we burned down the White House, that was sweet. :clap:

You're right, you don't need our army.
You will probably never be invaded, nobody likes freezing their balls off.
and if the eskimos ever try anything, I'm sure your mounties can handle them.
I apologize...

Oilfield Canuck #3
11-13-2008, 08:43 PM
You're right, you don't need our army.
You will probably never be invaded, nobody likes freezing their balls off.
and if the eskimos ever try anything, I'm sure your mounties can handle them.
I apologize...

Apology accepted.

Fun things to do in the cold

-ski
-toboggan
-ice fish
-snowmobile
-club seals
-bow fish
-ice race
-build an igloo
-produce frozen snot rockets
-snow shoe

The list goes on but I am lazy, Trevor or Debit, please feel free to add to it.

PerryWinkle
11-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Apology accepted.

-ski
-toboggan
-ice fish
-snowmobile
-club seals
-bow fish
-ice race
-rape the native women
-build an igloo
-snow shoe

Canada sounds like a great place

BlackSpider
11-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Apology accepted.

-ski
-toboggan
-ice fish
-snowmobile
-club seals
-blow fish-ice race
-build an igloo
-snow shoe

you must have tiny mouths...

PerryWinkle
11-13-2008, 08:53 PM
you must have tiny mouths...

or very big fish. now do they pull the fish out of the water or do they dunk their heads under to suckle a fish

patsopinion
11-13-2008, 09:00 PM
or very big fish. now do they pull the fish out of the water or do they dunk their heads under to suckle a fish

yea its a bobbing for apples scenario

BlackSpider
11-13-2008, 09:01 PM

oh snap !!!

PerryWinkle
11-13-2008, 09:03 PM
yea its a bobbing for apples scenario

i knew it. those filthy canadiens

BlackSpider
11-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Canadians posting in a NASA thread...?
when was their last space mission ? i forget...

PerryWinkle
11-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Canadians posting in a NASA thread...?
when was their last space mission ? i forget...

the only time they went "where no man has gone before" was when they fucked a moose

BlackSpider
11-13-2008, 09:07 PM
the only time they went "where no man has gone before" was when they fucked a moose

oh shit...
he went there...

PerryWinkle
11-13-2008, 09:13 PM
oh shit...
he went there...

i went there. And by the way canada, just because they're female moose, doesn't mean it's not still sick and twisted

skyscraper
11-14-2008, 05:46 AM
in an attempt to steer this thread back on course, I will say that the pricetag of humanity's exploration of space should not be paid by the taxpayer but by the private sector. there's money to be made out there. for example, in some moon rocks brought back by the appollo missions, they discovered that there is an element (forgive me, I forget which) that would be instrumental in making nuclear fusion much easier. so some mining company should send its equipment, some personnel, and a fleet of robots to mine these rocks, bring them back to earth, sell them to energy companies so they can harvest them for nuclear fusion reactors.
There are lots of other possibilities, that's just one.

furie
11-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Exactly, fuck USA, our dollar was even with yours, and then your economy went into the shitter, while ours is still stable,

any you can barely put a satellite into orbit.

sad really.

furie
11-15-2008, 01:50 PM

No, the white house wasn't burned down. it's still there dumb ass. It was charred and there was interior damage, but it wasn't burned down.

And the british, not canadians attacked washington, under the command of an irishman of all things.

brettmojo
11-15-2008, 02:03 PM
No, the white house wasn't burned down. it's still there dumb ass. It was charred and there was interior damage, but it wasn't burned down.

And the british, not canadians attacked washington, under the command of an irishman of all things.

Yeah, it was burned down...

The White House was burned. Only the exterior walls remained, and they had to be torn down and mostly reconstructed due to weakening from the fire and subsequent exposure to the elements, except for portions of the south wall. A legend emerged that during the rebuilding of the structure white paint was applied to mask the burn damage it had suffered, giving the building its namesake hue. This is unfounded as the building had been painted white since its construction in 1798. Of the many spoils taken from the White House when it was ransacked by British troops, only two have been recovered — a painting of George Washington (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington), rescued by then-first lady Dolley Madison (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolley_Madison), and a jewelry box returned to President Franklin Delano Roosevelt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin_Delano_Roosevelt) in 1939 by an old man who said his grandfather had taken it from Washington. An urban legend in Montreal states that the original doors to the White House are located in the Blackwatch Building on Bleury Street.<sup class="noprint Template-Fact">[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]</sup> Some Canadian shipwreck treasure hunters have claimed that some of the spoils from Washington were lost when a convoy of British ships led by HMS Fantôme (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Fantome_%281810%29) sank en route to Halifax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Halifax) off Prospect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect,_Nova_Scotia) during a storm on the night of November 24, 1814. However Fantome did not take part in the Washington raid and most historians feel the convoy was only carrying goods and customs revenue from British-occupied Castine, Massachusetts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castine,_Maine).<sup id="cite_ref-3" class="reference">[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington#cite_note-3)</sup>

furie
11-15-2008, 02:28 PM

try not to get your info from wikipedia:

First off, none of the exterior walls were torn down as per the whitehouse's own website.
also, the story that the white house got that name because they gave it a oat of fresh white paint after the first is an urban legend.

PerryWinkle
11-15-2008, 02:35 PM
I think it is about time we burn something down in canada. Who's with me?

BlackSpider
11-15-2008, 02:42 PM
I think it is about time we burn something down in canada. Who's with me?

All their buildings are made of snow and ice.
you can only melt them down...

PerryWinkle
11-15-2008, 02:52 PM
All their buildings are made of snow and ice.
you can only melt them down...

good enough, I'm gonna urinate all over their buildings until they melt

brettmojo
11-15-2008, 02:53 PM
try not to get your info from wikipedia:

First off, none of the exterior walls were torn down as per the whitehouse's own website.
also, the story that the white house got that name because they gave it a oat of fresh white paint after the first is an urban legend.
Damn Bush propaganda.

AngryAsianGuy
11-15-2008, 03:00 PM
My country started a space program but we shut it down because we got tired of hearing "there's a little nip in the air tonight".

Awful.

RickMcCrank47
11-15-2008, 03:55 PM
My country started a space program but we shut it down because we got tired of hearing "there's a little nip in the air tonight".

Awful.

im laughing anyways..... :lol:

Oilfield Canuck #3
11-15-2008, 09:29 PM

Who's the dumb ass now, Canada was part of Britain at that point, so who do you think the majority of the troops were made up of?

furie
11-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Who's the dumb ass now, Canada was part of Britain at that point, so who do you think the majority of the troops were made up of?

I know Canada was part of the British empire, so were several countries, so how can you solely take ownership of that victory?

and as for where the majority of the troops came from, that would be scotland and england. The attack came from the sea, marines from the fleet of ships that the british had intended to use against baltimore.

Or do you really believe that a force of canadian regulars marched undetected from York (Toronto) all the way to Washington to launch a surprise attack, leaving the fleet of ships off shore as props?

Oilfield Canuck #3
11-16-2008, 12:59 PM
I know Canada was part of the British empire, so were several countries, so how can you solely take ownership of that victory?

and as for where the majority of the troops came from, that would be scotland and england. The attack came from the sea, marines from the fleet of ships that the british had intended to use against baltimore.

Or do you really believe that a force of canadian regulars marched undetected from York (Toronto) all the way to Washington to launch a surprise attack, leaving the fleet of ships off shore as props?

Of course you would know my country's history better than a Canadian.

Enjoy your black president and shitty economy, I hope the whole place goes tits up.

PerryWinkle
11-16-2008, 01:11 PM

Enjoy your black president and shitty economy, I hope the whole place goes tits up.

He's our half black president, get it right. And if this place goes tits up, your shit hole country is fucked. The fucking mexicans will just keep going farther north.

Oilfield Canuck #3
11-16-2008, 01:17 PM
He's our half black president, get it right. And if this place goes tits up, your shit hole country is fucked. The fucking mexicans will just keep going farther north.

Half black is like saying you're only half pregnant, it doesn't matter, either way you are fucked. And what's wrong with Mexican's? I love sombreros and tacos, and that dance they do. Some of my closest uneducated employees are Mexican.

PerryWinkle
11-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Half black is like saying you're only half pregnant, it doesn't matter, either way you are fucked. And what's wrong with Mexican's? I love sombreros and tacos, and that dance they do. Some of my closest uneducated employees are Mexican.

I hate to say it, you dirty canadian, but you got a point.

Oilfield Canuck #3
11-16-2008, 01:43 PM
I hate to say it, you dirty canadian, but you got a point.

And I like the Dog in your avatar. The internets is a wonderful place.:drunk:

PerryWinkle
11-16-2008, 01:47 PM
And I like the Dog in your avatar. The internets is a wonderful place.:drunk:

Thank you my northern friend. I'm starting turn around my whole opinion of you canucks. Is there any room up there for me?

BlackSpider
11-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Thank you my northern friend. I'm starting turn around my whole opinion of you canucks. Is there any room up there for me?

WHAAAA...? :nono::thumbdown::furious:

PerryWinkle
11-16-2008, 01:59 PM
WHAAAA...? :nono::thumbdown::furious:

He's turned me around. :drunk:

disneyspy
11-16-2008, 02:01 PM
he has a gay shirt or something

furie
11-16-2008, 02:05 PM

i accept your apology.

PerryWinkle
11-16-2008, 02:09 PM
O Canada, blah blah blah blah blah.

BlackSpider
11-16-2008, 02:13 PM
O Canada, blah blah blah blah blah.

Is this a new board character...?

scottinnj
11-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Canada has an army.

They have these:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/70/HMCS_Regina_%28FFH_334%29_1.jpg/800px-HMCS_Regina_%28FFH_334%29_1.jpg

Don't let 'em fool you. That's a bathtub toy shot on a green screen. Love the Canadian CGI.

scottinnj
11-16-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm still trying to figure out exactly what "letting us use your army" means, when have we needed your Army? We have our own Army which is more than adequate.

That's funny. You're funny. Adequate for what? A Sasquatch Defense Force?

AngryAsianGuy
11-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Sasquatch Defense Force?

Now that's something I can support!

scottinnj
11-16-2008, 02:50 PM

But we have fantastic homeowner's insurance.

scottinnj
11-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Now that's something I can support!

Yeah, no shit. Those fuckers can't even handle a schoolboy prank.

Exhibit A:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tXEEZE0rqM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tXEEZE0rqM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PerryWinkle
11-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Is this a new board character...?

board character? why would i do that?

Oilfield Canuck #3
11-16-2008, 06:33 PM
That's funny. You're funny. Adequate for what? A Sasquatch Defense Force?

You've got it backwards, the Sasquatch Defense Force is a heavy artillery unit attached to our main force. They're on our side. :thumbup:

scottinnj
03-21-2009, 10:57 AM
Bump
NASA TV has spacewalk at the ISS live right now

Linkey Linkey (http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/)fellow geeks

jlehane3
03-27-2009, 02:48 PM
The back-engineered methods of flying are so far advanced from jets and rockets that they don't even create sonic booms.They rotate the molecules surrounding the craft at such high speeds that space junk is rendered harmless.They go underwater creating a wall or shell so the craft never gets wet(bubble) spinning at incredible speeds. The downside for us is the extreme radiation danger.I won't go into it inside vs outside the crafts.I can tell most people here love NOT knowing. http://www.waterufo.net/ Delaware Naval investigator who specializes in covering water-related UFO's. http://www.waterufo.net/images/image002mcf.jpg

Gvac
03-27-2009, 02:52 PM
The back-engineered methods of flying are so far advanced from jets and rockets that they don't even create sonic booms.They rotate the molecules surrounding the craft at such high speeds that space junk is rendered harmless.They go underwater creating a wall or shell so the craft never gets wet(bubble) spinning at incredible speeds. The downside for us is the extreme radiation danger.I won't go into it inside vs outside the crafts.I can tell most people here love NOT knowing. http://www.waterufo.net/ Delaware Naval investigator who specializes in covering water-related UFO's. http://www.waterufo.net/images/image002mcf.jpg

I thought EVERYONE knew by now that's where UFO's hide out. It's obvious they don't fly back to their own galaxy after ever sighting.

And where do people think tales of Atlantis came from?

furie
07-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Well it looks like NASA still is doing some exploration:
http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/dawn-image-070911.jpg
http://dawn.jpl.nasa.gov/

I'm looking forward to what it finds bout Ceres

brettmojo
11-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Russian probe fails to make orbit. (http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/09/world/europe/russia-spacecraft/?hpt=ieu_c2)

Great. We have to rely on these guys to get us into space.

furie
11-09-2011, 12:22 PM
when does the constellation or orion project start up?

furie
11-09-2011, 05:26 PM
http://www.space.com/13538-nasa-voyager-spacecraft-backup-thrusters.html

Judge Smails
11-09-2011, 05:52 PM
http://www.space.com/13538-nasa-voyager-spacecraft-backup-thrusters.html

V'Ger must evolve. Its knowledge has reached the limits of this universe and it must evolve. What it requires of its god is the answer to its question, "Is there nothing more"?

A.J.
11-10-2011, 03:51 AM
It knows only that it needs. But, like so many of us... it does not know what.