You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
CT and Jivin Religion thread [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : CT and Jivin Religion thread

RickMcCrank47
11-20-2008, 08:55 AM
no, this isnt a new religion with CT and Jivin as the deities......although lets not count them out quite yet.

on this weeks podcast, religion was discussed......

i believe in God, im not a practicing Christian at the moment, but i still have my core beliefs and values. i dont use my beliefs to rule every single decision i make, i use my common sense to run my daily life, and when it comes to major, serious decisions i look to my core values to help through those.
if someone doesnt believe what i believe, that doesnt bother me. i dont try to push my beliefs on other people. now i will have conversations about religion, and i will stand my ground if someone is degrading my beliefs, but i wont use my beliefs to tell someone they are wrong.
when it comes to creationism vs evolution/big bang, i think that its really a combination. it think that as humans, our ego clouds our ability to see things. God may have created the earth....with a big bang style creation method. the Bible does not say HOW God created the heavens and the earth. "God created the earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th"....its completely obsurd to think that God's 'day' is the same as our day. Man created time after seeing repetition and used instruments to measure and record it.

let the bashing begin... :dry:

Furtherman
11-20-2008, 09:03 AM
The Bible's Buried Secrets (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bible/program.html)

Watch and learn when man first created monotheism (Go Jews!) in a world of polytheism and where the god of today's christians, jews and muslims was created by man. Made up, and soaked into your young, spongy brain as a child.

You never can get a sponge completely dry no matter how hard you squeeze.

Dougie Brootal
11-20-2008, 09:04 AM

Watch and learn when man first created monotheism (Go Jews!) in a world of polytheism and where the god of today's christians, jews and muslims was created by man. Made up, and soaked into your young, spongy brain as a child.

yeah you gotta let it sit on the edge of the sink and dry up.

west milly Tom
11-20-2008, 09:08 AM

Yea God is for ignorant dummies.

Furtherman
11-20-2008, 09:10 AM
You said it, not me!

harvey_birdman
11-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Moral Conundrum - If you could rape god, would you?

west milly Tom
11-20-2008, 10:23 AM
The most pro-atheist studies put the worlds atheist population
At 15%, we're all dummies I guess.

Furtherman
11-20-2008, 10:54 AM
No, that's just 85% of the population who never questioned what they were told as a child.

LaBoob
11-20-2008, 11:14 AM

Amen.

Dan 'Hampton
11-20-2008, 01:25 PM
no, this isnt a new religion with CT and Jivin as the deities......although lets not count them out quite yet.

on this weeks podcast, religion was discussed......

i believe in God, im not a practicing Christian at the moment, but i still have my core beliefs and values. i dont use my beliefs to rule every single decision i make, i use my common sense to run my daily life, and when it comes to major, serious decisions i look to my core values to help through those.
if someone doesnt believe what i believe, that doesnt bother me. i dont try to push my beliefs on other people. now i will have conversations about religion, and i will stand my ground if someone is degrading my beliefs, but i wont use my beliefs to tell someone they are wrong.
when it comes to creationism vs evolution/big bang, i think that its really a combination. it think that as humans, our ego clouds our ability to see things. God may have created the earth....with a big bang style creation method. the Bible does not say HOW God created the heavens and the earth. "God created the earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th"....its completely obsurd to think that God's 'day' is the same as our day. Man created time after seeing repetition and used instruments to measure and record it.

let the bashing begin... :dry:

I actually agree with you point by point.

FezsAssistant
11-20-2008, 01:28 PM
I personally believe that anyone who is religious is fucking nuts and should be locked up or worse.

west milly Tom
11-20-2008, 01:30 PM
No, that's just 85% of the population who never questioned what they were told as a child.

Once again you imply that people who believe in God are mindless. You are decieved brother.

Furtherman
11-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Once again you imply that people who believe in God are mindless. You are decieved brother.

And once again I don't know what you are reading. I didn't say that.

west milly Tom
11-20-2008, 01:33 PM
And once again I don't know what you are reading. I didn't say that.

85% never question what they were told as children. You said that.

Furtherman
11-20-2008, 01:39 PM
85% never question what they were told as children. You said that.

Yep. That's not calling people mindless. If anything, it's a lack of curiosity.

Dan 'Hampton
11-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Out come the aging ronfez.net hipsters.

RickMcCrank47
11-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Out come the aging ronfez.net hipsters.

can someone show me where i called people who dont believe in God a dummy, and then show me where people called me a dummy for having a belief that you CANNOT disprove.

i agree with science because it has proof and facts, same with math. (as much as i dont understand the numbers) but all the science in the world still hasnt disproved God.

so call me ignorant, think what you want, but im well educated and have excellent instincts. i can seen the bullshit in religion, partially the reason im not a practicing Christian at the time. but it doesnt change my beliefs. when a scientist can give me absolute proof as to how the earth was created and that a supreme being had no part in it, then ill call it the whole thing a crock. but only then.

Dougie Brootal
11-20-2008, 04:15 PM
can someone show me where i called people who dont believe in God a dummy, and then show me where people called me a dummy for having a belief that you CANNOT disprove.

i agree with science because it has proof and facts, same with math. (as much as i dont understand the numbers) but all the science in the world still hasnt disproved God.

so call me ignorant, think what you want, but im well educated and have excellent instincts. i can seen the bullshit in religion, partially the reason im not a practicing Christian at the time. but it doesnt change my beliefs. when a scientist can give me absolute proof as to how the earth was created and that a supreme being had no part in it, then ill call it the whole thing a crock. but only then.

you also cannot prove the existence of a god. but we have 1 thing on our side that you dont ... common sense.
if it sound like bullshit, it probably is.
and christianity is th new kid in town as far as religions go.

just sayin.

Gvac
11-20-2008, 04:20 PM
The simple fact is that no one knows for sure if a deity (or deities) really exist. To say that anyone that believes in one school of thought over another is "wrong" or "ignorant" is crazy talk.

As I've stated before, we are spiritual beings seeking more out of our lives than merely perpetuating the species. There are a multitude of ways to reach enlightenment, and it really doesn't matter which path one takes to get there.

I've met an amazing variety of people who have left a deep impression on me and guided me on the path, from Buddhists to Taoists to Hasidic Jews to New Age hippies to ex-junkies. I don't discount their wisdom merely because of what they believe the ultimate power in the universe to be.

Dougie Brootal
11-20-2008, 04:40 PM
The simple fact is that no one knows for sure if a deity (or deities) really exist. To say that anyone that believes in one school of thought over another is "wrong" or "ignorant" is crazy talk.

As I've stated before, we are spiritual beings seeking more out of our lives than merely perpetuating the species. There are a multitude of ways to reach enlightenment, and it really doesn't matter which path one takes to get there.

I've met an amazing variety of people who have left a deep impression on me and guided me on the path, from Buddhists to Taoists to Hasidic Jews to New Age hippies to ex-junkies. I don't discount their wisdom merely because of what they believe the ultimate power in the universe to be.

gvac, your wisdom is invaluable.

that means really good right? i was trying to say youre a wise dude.

Dan 'Hampton
11-20-2008, 04:42 PM
need.
own.
board.

Dougie Brootal
11-20-2008, 04:47 PM
need.
own.
board.

no ones stopping you.. you cant have a discussion with people who disagree with you? is it that hard back up your own beliefs?

Dan 'Hampton
11-20-2008, 04:48 PM
no ones stopping you.. you cant have a discussion with people who disagree with you? is it that hard back up your own beliefs?

You're so right I'll now disown what I believe in. Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Love it when people parrot what they hear from someone they consider intelligent, and then believe that that is the truth without ever looking into it for themselves. I'd love to have that much confidence in ANYTHING.

Dougie Brootal
11-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Love it when people parrot what they hear from someone they consider intelligent, and then believe that that is the truth without ever looking into it for themselves. I'd love to have that much confidence in ANYTHING.

no dude your not getting it. you say 1 thing , i say the opposite, we discuss our reasons , thus having an intelligent conversation.

not you say 1 thing , i say the opposite, and you get pissed off and complain , everyone loses.

Dougie Brootal
11-20-2008, 04:55 PM

and isnt that what youre doing ?

TheGameHHH
11-20-2008, 04:57 PM

what do you say to the people that have questioned what they were told as a child yet still believe in God or a higher power?

Dougie Brootal
11-20-2008, 05:00 PM
what do you say to the people that have questioned what they were told as a child yet still believe in God or a higher power?

congratulations on your faith.

Gvac
11-20-2008, 05:13 PM
Doug is right. I believe EVERYTHING should be up for civil discussion, religion and politics included. Unfortunately, people are far too passionate about those topics to debate them rationally.

RickMcCrank47
11-20-2008, 05:55 PM
i thought i had been pretty civil in my initial post.

i have no reason not to believe what i was taught as a child. ive definitely made some adjustments and compromises. i dont think God wants me to smoke weed, but i certainly do it. i dont know if 13 year old me would be accepting of that, but 24 year old me thinks there are far worse things in this world that God would have a problem with, and ill deal with whatever consequences i may be dealt.

but the fear of God i was taught as a child has given me a good moral conscience in life. and more importantly the ability to not do overly stupid things as a kid. there were plenty of times where i thought better of doing stupid things because i was taught better at church and by my parents.

amazing how good influences around a child will make him act responsibly.

Gvac
11-20-2008, 06:06 PM

i have no reason not to believe what i was taught as a child. ive definitely made some adjustments and compromises. i dont think God wants me to smoke weed, but i certainly do it. i dont know if 13 year old me would be accepting of that, but 24 year old me thinks there are far worse things in this world that God would have a problem with, and ill deal with whatever consequences i may be dealt.

but the fear of God i was taught as a child has given me a good moral conscience in life. and more importantly the ability to not do overly stupid things as a kid. there were plenty of times where i thought better of doing stupid things because i was taught better at church and by my parents.

Do you think the best way to teach a child what is and isn't proper behavior is to instill a fear of an all-powerful deity? Do you think these values could be taught any other way?

Not attacking you at all, by the way. Just asking.

And when you say you "have no reason not to believe what you were taught as a child" that's a bit of flawed logic. You've accepted an unknowable aspect of life as gospel simply because your parents taught it to you and you've been unable to disprove it?

I just think it's important for people to find their own way, not be programmed clones of their parents. Again, I'm not accusing you of these things, but I hope you're truly explored your spirituality. It seems like you understand the importance of it.

Dougie Brootal
11-20-2008, 06:33 PM

thats cool. and i love the fact that wecan have different thoughts on it. fear of god is a damn good reason to adhere to the moral code.

Dougie Brootal
11-20-2008, 06:37 PM
the one thing that bothers me is that 1 person or group of people came up with that gimmick as a form of social control ..

Friday
11-20-2008, 07:48 PM
I personally believe that anyone who is religious is fucking nuts and should be locked up or worse.

this opinion seems to be a just a tad extreme to me.

Dan 'Hampton
11-21-2008, 01:59 AM
Don't most people question what they were taught as kids? I have differing opinions on things than the religion I belong too. I believe that some things are morally wrong and shouldn't be done, but then on the same page I don't think the the government should have anything to do with policing someone's personal life in those matters. I was taught that I should have alot more empathy for people, but I really don't. I'm far more concerned with making sure that me and my wife can keep our thing we got going, than what someone does in their bedroom. I don't think that religion should have anything to do with politics, and fortunately my religion has NOTHING to do with the government. They don't tell us who to vote for, what senators we should write to to get our point across, Jesus plainly said that those who were his followers were to be no part of the world.
So I guess what i'm saying is I really don't care what you do/ or for that matter about you, even though I should, so I don't see how bashing someone who has faith is anything more than you interfering with MY personal life/beliefs.

RickMcCrank47
11-21-2008, 08:55 AM
the one thing that bothers me is that 1 person or group of people came up with that gimmick as a form of social control ..

how else were you going to get your point across to a group of ignorant slobs who will believe whatever you tell them? some "one" watching you all the time is a great reason to do the right thing regardless of who is watching.
if im wrong, then nothing happens....if im right, then ill be rewarded in heaven with everlasting life in Gods kingdom....sounds like a good trade off to me....what am i losing?

Dan 'Hampton
11-21-2008, 11:22 AM
how else were you going to get your point across to a group of ignorant slobs who will believe whatever you tell them? some "one" watching you all the time is a great reason to do the right thing regardless of who is watching.
if im wrong, then nothing happens....if im right, then ill be rewarded in heaven with everlasting life in Gods kingdom....sounds like a good trade off to me....what am i losing?

Cause it's not cool. Oh well.

RickMcCrank47
11-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Cause it's not cool. Oh well.

if i was worried about being cool, i would be back in rochester getting married to some girl i graduated with a living 5 miles from my parents....no fuckin thanks.

Dan 'Hampton
11-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I hear you. There was just no way I was going to use the sarcastic smiley there.