You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Bret Hart blogs about "The Wrestler" [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Bret Hart blogs about "The Wrestler"

TjM
02-17-2009, 04:23 AM
http://blog.macleans.ca/2009/02/16/the-hitman-versus-%E2%80%98the-wrestler%E2%80%99/

EddieMoscone
02-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Bret Hart came from wrestling royalty, so it's safe to say he didn't have to go through/doesn't go through what 99.9% of the other wrestlers in this business go through. Think it would have ever gotten to a point where Bret Hart would have to have taken a staple to the head? Never.

foodcourtdruide
02-17-2009, 05:36 AM
I just find what he's saying unbelievable. SO many wrestlers have died young, often after being taken out of the spotlight.

Crippler
02-17-2009, 01:14 PM
I just find what he's saying unbelievable. SO many wrestlers have died young, often after being taken out of the spotlight.

I agree & disagree at the same time. I think his point, without coming out & directly saying it, is that Randy the Ram is described in those press clippings in the beginning of the film to be on Hitman's level. A level that isn't reached by many. That would put him on par with the Ric Flairs, Bret Harts, & Hulk Hogans of the world. And while the rest of the movie plays out what might very well happen to a guy who never rose above midcard status, setting him up to be a Holk Hogan-esque star & then showing his life play out like Jake the Snake might be a stretch.

foodcourtdruide
02-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I agree & disagree at the same time. I think his point, without coming out & directly saying it, is that Randy the Ram is described in those press clippings in the beginning of the film to be on Hitman's level. A level that isn't reached by many. That would put him on par with the Ric Flairs, Bret Harts, & Hulk Hogans of the world. And while the rest of the movie plays out what might very well happen to a guy who never rose above midcard status, setting him up to be a Holk Hogan-esque star & then showing his life play out like Jake the Snake might be a stretch.

I didn't think the clippings represented a guy on a Hart, Flair, Hogan level. He seemed like a mid-card guy who had one huge feud. I'd compare him more to Jake Roberts or Mr. Perfect.

TripleSkeet
02-17-2009, 04:28 PM
I dont think he was necessarily disagreeing with the movie, I just think he doesnt want everyone to think that thats how old wrestlers end up. I can kinda get that. For every Jake Roberts that goes broke and every Terry Funk that just cant hang it up theres also a Ricky Steamboat and Gorilla Monsoon that have normal financially stable careers after wrestling.

The part he doesnt seem to understand is theres alot more drama in the tragedy. And thats what Hollywood loves.

Im reading his autobiography right now and its really well written. You can tell its mostly his own writing, probably because he kept a diary since he started wrestling. And even though his family is considered wrestling royalty, it wasnt always. Its not like Stampede Wrestling was the AWA or anything. It doesnt seem like he was handed much.

Philip
02-18-2009, 05:00 PM
\The part he doesnt seem to understand is theres alot more drama in the tragedy. And thats what Hollywood loves.\

Exactly, and also it's the story of a wrestler not wrestling. I don't watch Slapshot, and assume every hockey team is exactly like that.

KojiClutch
02-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Exactly, and also it's the story of a wrestler not wrestling. I don't watch Slapshot, and assume every hockey team is exactly like that.Exactly. You want a movie about wrestling watch Ready to Rumble. This is about a man who is a wrestler, and the struggles of his own life outside of wrestling.

Bob Impact
02-23-2009, 07:28 PM
I dont think he was necessarily disagreeing with the movie, I just think he doesnt want everyone to think that thats how old wrestlers end up. I can kinda get that. For every Jake Roberts that goes broke and every Terry Funk that just cant hang it up theres also a Ricky Steamboat and Gorilla Monsoon that have normal financially stable careers after wrestling.

The part he doesnt seem to understand is theres alot more drama in the tragedy. And thats what Hollywood loves.

Im reading his autobiography right now and its really well written. You can tell its mostly his own writing, probably because he kept a diary since he started wrestling. And even though his family is considered wrestling royalty, it wasnt always. Its not like Stampede Wrestling was the AWA or anything. It doesnt seem like he was handed much.

I just finished the book, it never once seemed to me like he had it easy, it also ruined him forever in my eyes, I was a HUGE Bret Hart mark as a kid and he comes off increadibly bitter in this book. Also, it's hard for me to believe any of his stories when 1) Almost every conversation he relays with another wrestler has them either crying because he's a hero to so many or telling him that he's the greatest wrestler to ever walk the earth and 2) He repeatedly justifies his decades of cheating on his wife as lonliness and then doesn't have the balls to admit he nailed Sunny.

styckx
02-23-2009, 07:34 PM
I'll never understand Bret Hart, he was the most successful complainer ever and even retired it's all he does. He'll never get over the fact it's not, nor was it ever, all about him.

Bob Impact
02-23-2009, 07:47 PM
I'll never understand Bret Hart, he was the most successful complainer ever and even retired it's all he does. He'll never get over the fact it's not, nor was it ever, all about him.

That comes across in the book too, especially the fact that he honestly thinks he's a superhero.

TripleSkeet
02-24-2009, 08:05 AM
I just finished the book, it never once seemed to me like he had it easy, it also ruined him forever in my eyes, I was a HUGE Bret Hart mark as a kid and he comes off increadibly bitter in this book. Also, it's hard for me to believe any of his stories when 1) Almost every conversation he relays with another wrestler has them either crying because he's a hero to so many or telling him that he's the greatest wrestler to ever walk the earth and 2) He repeatedly justifies his decades of cheating on his wife as lonliness and then doesn't have the balls to admit he nailed Sunny.

Just about every wrestling autobiography Ive read (and Ive read alot) just about every one of them sounds like an egomaniac. They all have the same story about how everyone told them they are their hero and they are one of the greatest workers ever. That goes for Flair, Hogan, Dynamite Kid, Lawler, Rock, Austin, HBK the list goes on and on. The only ones that didnt come across like that was Foleys and Jerichos.

As far as Sunny goes, I took it a different way that maybe he didnt fuck her. Why wouldnt he admit it? He admitted to all those other cheating instances. Candidos not around. So why lie about it now? Besides from what I heard from someone that worked for WWE at the time, and was a good friend of Gorilla Monsoon, she was fucking wrestlers by the handfull. Including getting double teamed by the Road Warriors at a Raw show.

Dont get me wrong, hes definitely bitter and I dont agree with his stance on alot of things, but some things hes justified in bitching about and some things he isnt. Hes no better or worse then 90% of the other retired wrestlers out there.

Bob Impact
02-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Just about every wrestling autobiography Ive read (and Ive read alot) just about every one of them sounds like an egomaniac. They all have the same story about how everyone told them they are their hero and they are one of the greatest workers ever. That goes for Flair, Hogan, Dynamite Kid, Lawler, Rock, Austin, HBK the list goes on and on. The only ones that didnt come across like that was Foleys and Jerichos.

As far as Sunny goes, I took it a different way that maybe he didnt fuck her. Why wouldnt he admit it? He admitted to all those other cheating instances. Candidos not around. So why lie about it now? Besides from what I heard from someone that worked for WWE at the time, and was a good friend of Gorilla Monsoon, she was fucking wrestlers by the handfull. Including getting double teamed by the Road Warriors at a Raw show.

Dont get me wrong, hes definitely bitter and I dont agree with his stance on alot of things, but some things hes justified in bitching about and some things he isnt. Hes no better or worse then 90% of the other retired wrestlers out there.
He wont admit it because Shawn Michaels said it IMO.
I agree that every wrestler does the "I'm a hero" bit, it just seems like it's really real to him. Theres a specific passage I remember from the book where hes describing the closet where he he hung his gear and he's thinking "I bet this is what Superman's closet looks like." The way he writes it is so melodramatic, it comes across like someone who obsesses over a conversation after the fact and remembers it the way he wants to remember it. People just don't talk or act the way he attempts to pass it off as.

styckx
02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Bottom line: Bret Hart is a delusional idiot who just happened to be a great wrestler

Bob Impact
02-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Bottom line: Bret Hart is a delusional idiot who just happened to be a great wrestler

This.

TjM
02-27-2009, 10:13 AM

Billy Graham, Harley Race and Terry Funk also came across pretty humble in their Autobiogs

TripleSkeet
02-27-2009, 10:23 PM
I havent seen those 3 yet.