You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Ever get a DUI ? [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Ever get a DUI ?

bigredd
04-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Unfortunately I just got my first and last. Nobody was hurt, car wasn't wrecked just 10 mhp over the 25mph speed limit...and I was hammered. Anyone else?

santino
04-19-2009, 11:29 AM
thankfully i've been incredibly lucky over the years! that sux you got bagged. sorry buddy

Gvac
04-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Thankfully I never did, but I certainly played with fire in my younger days.

There were many, many nights were I had no business driving home but did. Not bragging, just being honest.

Since my livelihood depends on having a valid license (I'm a sales rep) I won't have more than one or two drinks when I'm out and often wind up being the designated driver.

bigredd
04-19-2009, 11:38 AM
I'm in sales as well and now have a interlock device in my ride. I have to pass a breath test to start the truck then again randomly to continue driving. It sucks but I shouldn't have driven.

Gvac
04-19-2009, 11:43 AM
It's amazing how DUI laws have changed since I was younger. People don't believe it when I tell them stories, but it used to be a LOT different.

When we were in high school, my friends and I would gather in the center of town and have keg parties on Friday and Saturday nights. It was a huge parking lot that was well lit. The cops would come by (they knew we were all 17) and tell us that as long as we cleaned up after ourselves and didn't damage anything they wouldn't break our balls.

Could you imagine that happening today?

weekapaugjz
04-19-2009, 11:45 AM
It's amazing how DUI laws have changed since I was younger. People don't believe it when I tell them stories, but it used to be a LOT different.

When we were in high school, my friends and I would gather in the center of town and have keg parties on Friday and Saturday nights. It was a huge parking lot that was well lit. The cops would come by (they knew we were all 17) and tell us that as long as we cleaned up after ourselves and didn't damage anything they wouldn't break our balls.

Could you imagine that happening today?

The 50's sure were a swell time.

Gvac
04-19-2009, 11:46 AM
The 50's sure were a swell time.

You're such a Potsie.

A.J.
04-19-2009, 12:00 PM
I got pinched in DC about 12 years ago. The funny thing was it was actually the one time I eased up at an office happy hour -- I paced myself, ate food and drank a lot of water. I was going over the Key Bridge from VA into DC when there was a checkpoint at the back entrance to Georgetown University. I blew .04 which would have been well sober in VA or MD. However, DC is .00 so they can make a fast buck. I got cuffed, they took my car and I had to walk all they way home carrying my golf clubs which were in the trunk.

And Gvac is right. Back in the day, the cops in my town were pretty cool about letting you go with a warning.

Doogie
04-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately I just got my first and last. Nobody was hurt, car wasn't wrecked just 10 mhp over the 25mph speed limit...and I was hammered. Anyone else?

Happened to me brother. More than a dozen years ago. I was in college, pulled out of a garage with no lights on, turned them on too late, got nailed. Used my fathers personalized plackard to no avail. Got sick in front of the cops, they still proceeded to give me the breathalizer. (In case you are unaware, when someone gets sick it adds drastically to the reading on the breathalyzer and most cops will opt either to put the suspect in the cell for the night and let em sleep it off or take em to the hospital for a blood test.)

Anyways, within 24 hours I immediatly got myself a lawyer. Got all my affairs in order for making my defense, yet was informed I needed to inform my father since the car, insurance and so forth were in his name. Not something I wanted to do, but I knew I couldnt avoid it either. I went home and told him. Sure he was pissed at first, but when he heard my entire story and he was a retired cop at that point he shifted his being pissed off from me to the cops up their. He was annoyed they didnt honor his plackard, and he was fucking pissed they breathalyzed me after seeing me get sick. Did I deserve to get off just cause of the plackard?? Not saying I should have of been. I was driving when I shouldnt have of. I'll be fair and honest with that so it doesnt seem like I was entitled to have them let me go. Yet they were very wrong for breathalyzing me after getting sick.

Back to the story, we gathered up all sorts of stuff to show I was a good citizen who made a mistake. Hell we even used the fact that I was on the list for the NYPD as leverage to lessen the conviction. My father wanted me to go to full trial and not accept any pleas. He said their breathalyzing me was grounds throughout NY at that time for the case to be thrown out. But the lawyer even told him, it wasnt a matter of the law in that town. It is a matter of the whole DUI thing being a money maker for the hick town and 99% of the cases get plead down and the residents have 0 sympathy for the students their.

Come the plea, I was offered two choices. One a DWAI, which was actually a violation, no points and a fine. But my father pointed out that conviction went to the insurance company and would raise the rates exponentially. Sure the insurance was in his name, but I paid him for the insurance. The other choice I was offered was a reckless driving charge that included 7 probationary points, and a fine. If I didnt get ANY driving violation for two years, the points went away. The plea though was a misdeamenor moving violation charge with a higher fine, yet less of an impact on my insurance ironically.

I chose the latter plea, and I have learned my lesson. Now when I am out I will stay over someone's house or get a hotel if I am too fucked up. Last night after being out, I stayed over a friends house in Woodlawn, Bronx. Got up, went home. The whole thing cost me $850 between the lawyer retainer fee (remember I said the area was just a money maker for DUI's as opposed to dispensing justice) and the fine. I got lucky. The law was still somewhat lax on 1st time DUI cases then. To be honest it all really went with how the officer wrote the report up. I know that cause I am friends with a lot of cops and they all tell me how much of a pain in the ass it is to do a DUI. The paperwork they say sucks, and if they are not seeking overtime and would rather go home that night they will let a guy leave his car on the side of the road and have someone take em home. Not too many who do that anymore, but their are guys who still do so.

My wisdom imparted to you...get a lawyer ASAP. Get the ball rolling and get the plea. What sucks is now the law is a lot tougher on even 1st time cases. You are probably looking at a minimum of $4000 before even getting to the plea. That is a probable not a definite. Where did you get the DUI?? What state?? What did you pop?? Was it breathalyzer or blood?? All of these factors are key when getting the lawyer and let the lawyer know EVERYTHING. Look you made a mistake, you are human. Dont dwell on it as much as you are right now. Yes it sucks, but it is not the end of the world. Let someone close to you know as well so you have someone to vent too and not pent up the misery right now. That is my advice to you having gone through the whole ringer myself.

boosterp
04-19-2009, 12:20 PM
I have been very VERY lucky. The dumbest thing I do is still on occasion I drive with one open in the truck.

I really need to stop doing that in the city.

STC-Dub
04-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Never have. Never been a big drinker at least not since high school. Though I was very close once back then when I drove home trashed a a cop car watched me go in my house.

beachbum
04-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Luckily no.Back in my serious party days I didn't even drink because I was the one with the dope.Now I rarely drink that much when I am out and when i do I don't drive.I have been through several DUI check points with dope in the trunk though.:smoke:

disneyspy
04-19-2009, 02:04 PM
5,didnt have a full license for 12 years but couldn't drive for half of that time cuz i was locked up,kids dont drink and drive.scared straight yet?

Dougie Brootal
04-19-2009, 02:52 PM
yep. i just cut my beautiful flowing locks so i look respecable in front of da judge in 3 weeks. :(

Suspect Chin
04-19-2009, 02:55 PM
How has having a DUI on your record affected anyone's life otherwise? Trouble getting a job? Trouble traveling abroad? Etc.

underdog
04-19-2009, 03:03 PM
For some reason, I won't drive if I'm too drunk. Even though I'm hammered, I still keep the state of mind to not drive.

However, I have definitely driven well over the limit, but I was still in full control. And I've driven WAY more tired than I have drunk. I've nearly fallen asleep at the wheel a few times. Someone tired at the wheel is usually worse than someone barely over the limit.

Doogie
04-19-2009, 05:49 PM
How has having a DUI on your record affected anyone's life otherwise? Trouble getting a job? Trouble traveling abroad? Etc.

When I was in the military it was one of the things that held up my security clearance until the FBI investigated and gave me the A-Ok.

It can also affect any job where you need to drive. Ie...post man, UPS, truck driver, etc.

lleeder
04-19-2009, 05:54 PM
None for me.

IamFogHat
04-19-2009, 06:03 PM
I never had when I should have but I never will in the future. My best friend nearly died in a drunk driving accident and I made a solemn pledge, one that I've upheld and she hasn't but that's a different story. Stop driving drunk, even if you're good at it like I was, I would never have got in an accident, but legal ramifications are not worth it.

britneypablo
04-19-2009, 06:28 PM
<font color="deeppink"> not then, not now, not ever...im not a complete idiot

i did get breathalyzed when i got hit by a drunk driver i think just as part of protocol at 4am haha but clearly you know i had not had a drink...

MacVittie
04-19-2009, 06:35 PM
Never got one myself, but I can count on two hands the guys I know who have gotten them. I say guys because I don't know any women who have gotten DWIs. There have surely been many times where I could have gotten them, some for driving underage, some I was buzzed and any minor violation would have shown that I was over the limit, and other times I was hammered. I'm only guessing here, bigredd, but my suspicion is that this wasn't the first time you got behind a wheel after a few. You get away with it enough times you think it just doesn't happen to you... would have happened to me if I didn't have so many cautionary examples in my life.

Tenbatsuzen
04-19-2009, 06:48 PM
I can't even take a stand against DUI laws because I have no idea what a .08 and a .10 feels like and what the difference is.

I've had a few beers and then drove, but it's not like I was even drunk. I can't even recall the last time I was out-of-control drunk.

Something was weird last night though. I had one glass of wine and three beers at Missy's party. It was spread out between 10 pm and 12am, and I didn't get into a vehicle until 1:30. I didn't get home until 4am because of traffic being a nightmare getting out of the city. When I woke up this morning, I think I probably felt the worst I've felt in a while.

Ritalin
04-19-2009, 06:50 PM
Just thinking about it makes me cringe for all the times I had no business driving. Maybe 10, tops, but when I think what could have happened. Shit.

I'm so happy I don't have to own a car. It's the best way to live, by far.

Death Metal Moe
04-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I decided long ago that if I touch alcohol I don't touch my keys. And if I'm driving I don't touch alcohol.

Period.

Lived by it for as long as I've been drinking.

PapaBear
04-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Yes. On my birthday. And to make matters worse, I had just broken 3 ribs a day or two before. All night in the holding cell, I had the drunk hiccups. Hic... moan... hic... moan... hic... moan...

Never again.

SP1!
04-19-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm in sales as well and now have a interlock device in my ride. I have to pass a breath test to start the truck then again randomly to continue driving. It sucks but I shouldn't have driven.

Jesus, an interlock for your first DUI? That sounds like a money making scheme by someone and that is why I hate the big push for DUIs the past 15 years, not saying you should be allowed to drive but as I had posted in the other thread it was like 83% of the people injured in accidents are just the drunks. I mean who else is out on the road at 3 or 4 in the morning?

Still doogie is right, get a lawyer ASAP. Dont worry, if you live in a state like georgia you will have 20 attorney letters in your mailbox in a day or two, one even had my mugshot with it, classy. Also in some states if you dont file certain motions immediately it can result in a suspended license(in georgia its under 10 days) so get a good lawyer.

burrben
04-19-2009, 08:38 PM
theres a lot of drunks at this site

PapaBear
04-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Come on. 75.61% isn't all that bad.

boosterp
04-19-2009, 09:17 PM

Come on. 75.61% isn't all that bad.

3:1 who drive drunk according to the poll.

PapaBear
04-19-2009, 09:24 PM
3:1 who drive drunk according to the poll.
I blame the one for not offering to drive the other 3.

boosterp
04-19-2009, 09:34 PM
I blame the one for not offering to drive the other 3.

:lol:

Donnie Iris
04-20-2009, 10:24 AM
I got my first in January. I knew I'd had some drinks but was not all that nervous when I got pulled over. In fact, I did pretty well on the field sobriety tests, but the cop could smell booze on me and took me in for blood to be drawn. Turns out I had a BAC of .22. The sad part is even on the police report it says that I was calm and did not appear to be "overly intoxicated" and that the smell afforded probable cause. I'm going to have to go to a number of classes and then lose my licsence for like 30 days but then if I don't get another one for 2 years, it's off of my record.

It was stupid and my fault.

PopPop
04-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Never got one but there were lots of times when I was younger I deserved one. Can't, can't drink and drive now. Just bothers me too much. Too afraid I would hurt someone

ralphbxny
04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
I have had 2 pull overs by the Cops once I was drunk and passed the feld sobriety test and Once I was Sober and failed it and was let go cause I blew 0 on the breathalizer and I guess the cop felt bad for fat Ralph. I was allowed to drive away both times!

Yerdaddy
04-20-2009, 09:13 PM
yep, and it was arguably the best thing that ever happened to me since it led to me finding the right place to get sober for the past 12 years. Fucking pigs!

earthbrown
04-21-2009, 07:09 AM
its all about revenue, they dont want to stop drunk driving, if they did they would have ZERO tolerance about alcohol on the road.

The fact that we have an arbitrary number that says, "too drunk to drive", allows people to play Russian roulette, with the law. If the law was .002 or something like that to make any alcohol illegal, it would clearly allow people to know that they are in violation of the law.

If it was about safety we would have a law saying you cant drink at all if you are driving, but the government wants the revenue, they want the money.

Hardly any of the major driving infractions are based on a need to make roads safe, speeding tickets are arbitrary, you went faster than a magical number, but does that make you less safe than the guy doing 65mph who is surfing the internet from the laptop setting on the passenger seat?

You are also forced to give up your constitutional rights when it comes to DWI, you are forced to submit evidence that could incriminate you, whether it be the sobriety tests, or the breathalyzer.

K

SatCam
04-21-2009, 02:38 PM
its all about revenue, they dont want to stop drunk driving, if they did they would have ZERO tolerance about alcohol on the road.

The fact that we have an arbitrary number that says, "too drunk to drive", allows people to play Russian roulette, with the law. If the law was .002 or something like that to make any alcohol illegal, it would clearly allow people to know that they are in violation of the law.

If it was about safety we would have a law saying you cant drink at all if you are driving, but the government wants the revenue, they want the money.

Hardly any of the major driving infractions are based on a need to make roads safe, speeding tickets are arbitrary, you went faster than a magical number, but does that make you less safe than the guy doing 65mph who is surfing the internet from the laptop setting on the passenger seat?

You are also forced to give up your constitutional rights when it comes to DWI, you are forced to submit evidence that could incriminate you, whether it be the sobriety tests, or the breathalyzer.

K

someone's bitter

earthbrown
04-21-2009, 04:08 PM
someone's bitter

Never had one, rolled the dice many times, but never been charged, convicted, or even stopped when drinking.

No one in my immediate family has ever either, I simply see the half-hartedness of this law. This like most traffic infractions are revenue generation tools.

If we wanted to make the roads safer, we would take DANGEROUS people who cause accidents, off the road. I have had 3 cars ran into by assholes(sober), that received a minor traffic infractions, for pretty decent accidents, one of which I had to go to the hospital.

I have had 5 people I know killed on motorcycles, by people who FAILED to YEILD, making left turns, blowing stopsigns, or backing out of driveways infront of them on their bikes. Again, minor traffic infractions.

Laws are not for safety, they are for money.

If we wanted to stop drunk driving we could, make it illegal to drive with any alcohol, then there would be a definitive limit.

K

K

FezPaul
04-21-2009, 04:58 PM

3 days in jail

:sad:

bigredd
04-21-2009, 05:37 PM

It's not a felony in most states unless you fuck up real bad by hurting someone or something. It could jack you up if you were gunning for a driving gig or something where you might have to drive a company car.

bigredd
04-21-2009, 05:39 PM
Jesus, an interlock for your first DUI? That sounds like a money making scheme by someone and that is why I hate the big push for DUIs the past 15 years, not saying you should be allowed to drive but as I had posted in the other thread it was like 83% of the people injured in accidents are just the drunks. I mean who else is out on the road at 3 or 4 in the morning?

Still doogie is right, get a lawyer ASAP. Dont worry, if you live in a state like georgia you will have 20 attorney letters in your mailbox in a day or two, one even had my mugshot with it, classy. Also in some states if you dont file certain motions immediately it can result in a suspended license(in georgia its under 10 days) so get a good lawyer.

I had a lawyer before I got home from the station. The interlock was becasue I blew just over twice the legal limit. The interlock is just so I can drive without and limtations...other than being sober.

TooLowBrow
05-12-2009, 04:56 PM
if you are under the legal limit it is legal to drive, right?

so is it legal to drink alcohol while driving, as long as you stay under the limit?

disneyspy
05-12-2009, 04:59 PM
if you are under the legal limit it is legal to drive, right?

so is it legal to drink alcohol while driving, as long as you stay under the limit?

havin an open intoxicant is also against the law in most states,texas might be different,cuz theyre different

Dell
05-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Yes... when I was 19 (18 was the age for drinking back then)... wrecked my dad's truck... came to pick me up at the drunk tank and wouldn't when he said I was still drunk... picked me up when I was sober so I would remember the ass kicking... haven't done it since... took me four years after college to pay him back for the truck (it was an old truck)

xekrubx
05-12-2009, 06:59 PM
I had 1 back in 2007. Got bagged in my old home town going from one party to another. Cops never liked me and saw my car. Got me for barely touching the white line on the side of the road. Passed the walk the line and the nose to finger but failed the one foot off the ground. Of course in court they claimed i failed all 3. At the station i blew a 0.2. Which makes me wonder what i would have blown all the other nights i had been even more slammed and drove home. In the station they had to turn my phone off because of the constant calls and then the phone line in the booking area was ringing off the hook from friends trying to get me out. Got bailed out an hour later and brought to the second party to continue drinking. Ended up having to sell my car and pay a shitload to get my license back. Havent driven drunk since.

biggirl
05-12-2009, 07:13 PM
I rarely even drink (even one drink) and then drive. When I was younger, way too young to drink, I drove all of the time. I guess I was more scared of being late for curfew than drinking and driving.

When I was 16 I drove home extremely drunk in a blizzard. In a way, I was glad I was drunk otherwise I think I would have panicked and went into the ditch.

No DUI's, thank God. I can't afford that!

furie
02-26-2010, 05:33 AM
Nope. not me. somehow i have avoided the checkpoints.

Dell
02-26-2010, 05:54 AM
got my one and only DUI when I was 18...totaled my father's truck...

when my father came to pick me up, he told them that I was too drunk to go home and left me in jail until the next day...he wanted me to experience his "discipline" sober...

nate1000
02-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Yes... when I was 19 (18 was the age for drinking back then)... wrecked my dad's truck... came to pick me up at the drunk tank and wouldn't when he said I was still drunk... picked me up when I was sober so I would remember the ass kicking... haven't done it since... took me four years after college to pay him back for the truck (it was an old truck)

got my one and only DUI when I was 18...totaled my father's truck...

when my father came to pick me up, he told them that I was too drunk to go home and left me in jail until the next day...he wanted me to experience his "discipline" sober...

hmmmm.... you drunk now?

Furtherman
02-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Never got one. If there is a party that I have to drive to solo, I most likely will not go. If I do, I just don't drink. I'm not worried about the cops, I'm worried about the other drunk assholes that I might have to swerve to avoid.

danner1515
02-26-2010, 09:51 AM
I've managed to avoid getting one despite taking my chances on several occasions, but my girlfriend is currently dealing with the aftermath of a DUI that she got about a month after a public intox. She had her license suspended for 20 days and is going to have to attend classes for the next five months. On top of that, she is going to be on color code for five months, which basically means she can be called in any random day for a urine test. So she basically has to stay sober until August. She told me that when it's all over and done with, this whole thing will have cost her over $5,000.

I'm definitely not taking chances anymore. I never want to have to go through that hell.

Furtherman
02-26-2010, 09:55 AM
On top of that, she is going to be on color code for five months, which basically means she can be called in any random day for a urine test. So she basically has to stay sober until August.

I never even heard of that... that's terrible.

booster11373
02-26-2010, 10:00 AM
I've managed to avoid getting one despite taking my chances on several occasions, but my girlfriend is currently dealing with the aftermath of a DUI that she got about a month after a public intox. She had her license suspended for 20 days and is going to have to attend classes for the next five months. On top of that, she is going to be on color code for five months, which basically means she can be called in any random day for a urine test. So she basically has to stay sober until August. She told me that when it's all over and done with, this whole thing will have cost her over $5,000.

I'm definitely not taking chances anymore. I never want to have to go through that hell.

How is this color code stuff legal?

Serpico1103
02-26-2010, 12:05 PM
.....as I had posted in the other thread it was like 83% of the people injured in accidents are just the drunks. I mean who else is out on the road at 3 or 4 in the morning?

I think a great man once said, that I should be able to throw grenades out my car window at 4 in the morning.

KingModem
02-26-2010, 12:35 PM
2001 - Underage/Minor consumption while driving (.09 BAC, legal limit in SD was .10)

Made me leave my car there until my father came to pick us up at the county jail.

2002 - Underage/Minor consumption while driving (.04 BAC, legal limit in SD was .10) A ticket for 86 dollars, and let me keep driving to my destination because he "liked me" and we had the same last name. Possible gay.

2006 - Pulled over and swore I was over the limit, but told the cop I only had two beers at the Twins game. Let me go.

2008 - Put through complete ringer of sobriety tests, asked several questions about my drug usage (been clean of drugs except alcohol for 10 years at this point), blown BAC of .06 (legal limit of MN is 0.08). He let me go, but told me how bad I stink, literally. "I am going to let you go because you are legal, but you STINK, you STINK like booze, and you STINK like marijuana!"

I think he had a rookie jock itch.

So...never got a DUI, always under the limit.

Dell
02-26-2010, 12:37 PM
hmmmm.... you drunk now?

forgot I had already posted it...also got a year younger (I was 19)...

zildjian361
02-26-2010, 01:03 PM
gettin my License back 2-10-2011, never make that Mistake AGAIN. 10 YEARS .

spoon
02-26-2010, 01:14 PM
gettin my License back 2-10-2011, never make that Mistake AGAIN. 10 YEARS .

Nooooooo! I thought you were consistently drunk and it was proven you drive better that way. Oh well.

FUNKMAN
02-26-2010, 02:33 PM
approx 12 years ago went out after work and had a couple gin'n'tonics and 3 kamikaze shots. i work evenings so it was around 1:30am. heading home got pulled over for doing 60 in a 45 in Plainsboro. Admitted I had a few and had to step to the back of the car and recite the alphabet 2 times. I was over the limit but I kept my composure and got through the recital well. they let me on my way!

midwestjeff
02-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Yeah.

It's a male rite of passage.

Gutter
03-01-2010, 08:24 AM
i got mine in college when i was going to Marist. i went to a house party and 2 or 3 bars that night. got dropped off at my car and tried to go home. I got lost and wound up in Pleasant Valley where i was pulled over outside of the state trooper barracks there. i knew i was screwed so i just did what the asked. $900 fine and $1200 for the lawyer. 6mo. driving privileges in NY were suspended. I got lucky there....apparently in NY they can't physically take your ID if its from out of state and they can only suspend you from driving in that state. and from what i've heard, with the fine i paid and the lawyer fee, i got off easy. never making that mistake again....although with the legal limit at .08 now you could have sniffed a beer three hours ago and still get arrested for a DUI.