You must set the ad_network_ads.txt file to be writable (check file name as well).
Dreams? [Archive] - RonFez.net Messageboard

PDA

View Full Version : Dreams?

S0S
04-29-2001, 10:42 AM
Why is it that my dreams are so irrational but I still think that they are possible when I am dreaming?

HordeKing1
04-29-2001, 01:29 PM
SONOFSPAZ - In ancient times, people believed that dreams were sent by God as a portent of things to come and dream interpreters made big bucks interpreting them. The Talmud describes a Rabbi, who set up a sting operation to prove that these interpreters were a sham. He found that when a dream interpreter was given lots of money to interpret a dream, the interpretation was favorable. When little money was exchanged the same
dream was interpreted as an evil omen.

It is pretty much now universally accepted that the catalyst for dreams are things we see or think about during the day. The Freudians believe that dreams represent the unchecked id running free without regard or concern for the constraints of society. That is why we sometimes have dreams of murder or rape or other vile acts that we would not even think about while conscious. It's the id expressing what it wants and to the id, the only
thing that matters is the id. Everything else in the world is just there to gratify it. During the day, the id is held in place by the ego and superego.

Whether or not you subscribe to this theory it is absolutely certain that dreaming is essential. Dreaming only takes place during REM sleep. A person deprived of REM sleep loses ability to distinguish fantasy from reality. Other nasty things happen as well. Dreaming is a way to flush the clutter out of our minds and allow us to function normally.

Dreams seem real when you are in the midst of them, because at that point the mind cannot tell the difference between what is real and what is not. It is not irrational at the time you dream. When you wake up, if you remember your dream, you view it through the filtered lens of reason - not the way you experienced it while sleeping. In that state indeed all things are possible.

http://members.aol.com/slipknot4twenty/hking