X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Vs. WFAN

I'm not sure if everyone knows about the feud between ESPN and WFAN. Recently in a effort to lure listeners away from WFAN and Mike and the Maddog, ESPN no longer allows their television people to do interviews on WFAN. Peter Gammons and others that have always appeared on the show are no longer allowed to do so. Just today in a new twist WFAN has changed the way they credit stories. In the past they would report something and say "according to ESPN.com". Today when reporting on MLB trades they said "according to FOX Sports". It might be a minor thing but it just seems different. I wonder how long this whole thing will continue?

Its the same here in Boston - WEEI vs ESPN Radio. However, WEEI rules the roost up here.

Comment

Originally posted by lleeder View Post
      I'm not sure if everyone knows about the feud between ESPN and WFAN. Recently in a effort to lure listeners away from WFAN and Mike and the Maddog, ESPN no longer allows their television people to do interviews on WFAN. Peter Gammons and others that have always appeared on the show are no longer allowed to do so. Just today in a new twist WFAN has changed the way they credit stories. In the past they would report something and say "according to ESPN.com". Today when reporting on MLB trades they said "according to FOX Sports". It might be a minor thing but it just seems different. I wonder how long this whole thing will continue?
      I think there is something with Mike and the Maddog and fox, because if you watch their show on YES during the day, all the headlines at the bottom are from fox. I am not sure if they are owned by FOX or what the deal is.

i had no idea that the ESPN guys are no longer allowed on their show though. I think that is kind of shitty, because some of those guys have been friends with the show for a long time. more corporate bullshit that, in the end, the consumer suffers.

Comment

Originally posted by Tall_James View Post
        Its the same here in Boston - WEEI vs ESPN Radio. However, WEEI rules the roost up here.
        here too, WFAN has a much bigger fan base than ESPN. ESPN corporate must have shut this down to bring more people into their listenership.

Comment

Its more of bigger deal here because Gammons writes for the Boston Globe, as does Bob Ryan. He's a local icon forbidden from appearing on the competition.

Then again, no one from the Globe appears on WEEI due to some horseshit that went down several years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by JPMNICK View Post
            I think there is something with Mike and the Maddog and fox, because if you watch their show on YES during the day, all the headlines at the bottom are from fox. I am not sure if they are owned by FOX or what the deal is.

i had no idea that the ESPN guys are no longer allowed on their show though. I think that is kind of shitty, because some of those guys have been friends with the show for a long time. more corporate bullshit that, in the end, the consumer suffers.
            Last week Mike interviewed the head of ESPN. He said to the guy that he felt it was a bad move by ESPN since the show had relationships with these guests for awhile. Mike said he thinks its bad business on ESPN's part since they give the network alot of promotion. I'm sure Maddog will have alot more anti-ESPN rants in the future.

Comment

Maybe they weren't too happy about Francesa destroying Sportscenter last week. He was dead on about all of it. I was a Sportscenter junkie five years ago, now I barely watch it. And Who's Now might be the worst thing in the history of television.

I understand the decision from a competition perspective, but the whole thing is silly.

Comment

Originally posted by lleeder View Post
                Last week Mike interviewed the head of ESPN. He said to the guy that he felt it was a bad move by ESPN since the show had relationships with these guests for awhile. Mike said he thinks its bad business on ESPN's part since they give the network alot of promotion. I'm sure Mad dog will have alot more anti-ESPN rants in the future.
                I know ESPN has put a lot of money into the radio segment of their network. they have some decent shows, but WAY to many commercials. I guess you can say the same for Mike and Mad dog. it makes it almost unlistenable. they get on a roll and have to break.

and Mike and Mike in the morning is HORRIBLE. i started to listen a few years back, and back then I said there was no way they were going to make it. i was SOOO wrong. they have a simulcast now, a best-of replay on ESPN2 in the afternoon, and national commercial spots.

Comment

Originally posted by BeltOfScotch View Post
                  Maybe they weren't too happy about Francesa destroying Sportscenter last week. He was dead on about all of it. I was a Sportscenter junkie five years ago, now I barely watch it. And Who's Now might be the worst thing in the history of television.

I understand the decision from a competition perspective, but the whole thing is silly.
                  Was that when he was talking about the new sportscenter segement "Who is NOW?" which makes zero sense

Comment

Originally posted by BeltOfScotch View Post

Yeah but the exclusive ESPN guest thing has been goin on for at least 3 weeks maybe even a month.

Comment

Was that when he was talking about the new sportscenter segement "Who is NOW?" which makes zero sense
                      Yeah and Mike is right, that who is now is terrible....

ESPN radio makes it seem like they compete in New York with the Fan. I don't really think they care about the ratings. Its more about being able to tell advertisers they have a NY presence (the only NY stations Disney Kept were 1560, the Disney brand, and 1050 the ESPN brand). Not allowing ESPN talent to go on other radio stations is typical of short sighted corporate owned radio today. The overall product suffers and sends people to other mediums. I know its a separate issue but this is one of the reasons big conglomerates shouldn't be allowed to own so many outlets. As far as WEPN they have some entertaining hosts ( I like Brandon Tierany and Jody Mac ), but they have too many crappy syndicated shows ( Mike and Mike, Dan Patrick) and a shitty signal compared to the fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Earlshog View Post
                        Yeah and Mike is right, that who is now is terrible....

ESPN radio makes it seem like they compete in New York with the Fan. I don't really think they care about the ratings. Its more about being able to tell advertisers they have a NY presence (the only NY stations Disney Kept were 1560, the Disney brand, and 1050 the ESPN brand). Not allowing ESPN talent to go on other radio stations is typical of short sighted corporate owned radio today. The overall product suffers and sends people to other mediums. I know its a separate issue but this is one of the reasons big conglomerates shouldn't be allowed to own so many outlets. As far as WEPN they have some entertaining hosts ( I like Brandon Tierany and Jody Mac ), but they have too many crappy syndicated shows ( Mike and Mike, Dan Patrick) and a shitty signal compared to the fan.
                        i never get to listen to Dan Patrick's show, is it that bad?

Mike and Mike is the hackiest show on radio.

Comment

I listened to sports radio up until 1999 2000

When 2 Shows took over my mind

The only host on I can listen to on Either ESPN or WFAN is Steve Sommers

Comment

Originally posted by King Hippos Bandaid View Post
                            I listened to sports radio up until 1999 2000

When 2 Shows took over my mind
                            That Dr. Laura is intriguing, isn't she.

Comment

i never get to listen to Dan Patrick's show, is it that bad?

Mike and Mike is the hackiest show on radio.
                              An Oak Tree has more charisma... So boring... I think he is done soon...

Mike and Mike is okay when they talk sports, the second the topic switchs to something else it is brutal...

Comment

Working...
                              X