Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are some good spices for french fries?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are some good spices for french fries?

I'm cooking some steak fries to go with my venison steaks tomorrow. Yeah... They're frozen fries. I'm too lazy to make real ones. I normally don't like the spiced fries that most restaurants have, but I'm going to try it anyway. I picked up a bottle of Lawry's black pepper seasoned salt. What are some other good ideas?

You might as well talk about what you put on them after they're cooked, too. If I'm feeling like totally abusing my heart, I love to dip steak fries or waffle fries in mayo or guacamole.

I fry my own homemade all the time. I cut and slice fresh potatoes fry them in canola. I always put onion powder garlic salt and fresh cracked pepper. Great taste.
    Last edited by west milly Tom; 01-28-2009, 01:28 AM.

Comment

I generally don't Dip them, just wash them down with bud.

Comment

Dip in vinegar after seasoning with salt pepper and garlic

Comment

Originally posted by Knowledged_one View Post
          Dip in vinegar after seasoning with salt pepper and garlic
          Not a fan of the vinegar, but I'm gonna try this.

I make my own fries, and usually just hit them with some Lowrys seasoning salt (the regular stuff)
          Cajun seasoning is good, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Slumbag View Post
            Not a fan of the vinegar, but I'm gonna try this.

I make my own fries, and usually just hit them with some Lowrys seasoning salt (the regular stuff)
            Cajun seasoning is good, too.
            season all is great too and people in indy had never heard of dipping fries in vinegar use apple vindgar

Comment

What the hell am I thinking? I totally forgot about Old Bay and malt vinegar! Damn, I love boardwalk fries.

Comment

Originally posted by Knowledged_one View Post
                season all is great too and people in indy had never heard of dipping fries in vinegar use apple vindgar
                No, I tried the vinegar at 5 Guys.
                I thought it was shit.

Comment

Originally posted by PapaBear View Post
                  What the hell am I thinking? I totally forgot about Old Bay and malt vinegar! Damn, I love boardwalk fries.
                  you are making me miss md

Comment

I always bake mine. On a pan of your choice poor some canola (or vegetable) oil on the pan and smear it around with a napkin. Set your oven, and sprinkle some Cavener's Greek Seasoning over the fries. Do not put the fries in until the oven is fully up to temp. Half way through cooking flip the fries and sprinkle a bit more Cavender's on. Once done let them sit for 2-3 minutes before serving. They are crisp without the hassle or fat that frying them has.

For dip I use a ketchup Worcestershire sauce mix with hot sauce to taste. I have even gone as far as to slowly heat some ketchup with fresh garlic and added some Sriracha for spice. Let cool to the temp of desire and serve. Since ketchup has sugar in it stir frequently.
                    Last edited by boosterp; 01-28-2009, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by boosterp View Post
                      I always bake mine. On a pan of your choice poor some canola (or vegetable) oil on the pan and smear it around with a napkin. Set your oven, and sprinkle some Cavener's Greek Seasoning over the fries. Do not put the fries in until the oven is fully up to temp. Half way through cooking flip the fries and sprinkle a bit more Cavender's on. Once done let them sit for 2-3 minutes before serving. They are crisp without the hassle or fat that frying them has.
                      I'm going to try this tonight, but with the Lawry's stuff I bought. I like the idea of the oil to make baked fries more crispy!

Comment

For a good seasoned fry you have to go with the Old Bay seasoning, has just a lil kick to it..

Comment

Before cooking:

Comment

Curry. Don't laugh- it's huge in England/ Ireland and delicious, too.

Comment

• Old Bay Seasoning
                              • Salt, Pepper, Smoked Paprika
                              • Shaved black truffle (if you can find it)

Comment

Working...
                              X