X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiskey not...

So I've just recently started getting into sipping whiskey. Sure, I've had the stuff before now and then, but mostly in cocktails and shots.
    I guess my new found appreciation started with a trip to the Jack Daniel's distillery in Lynchburg, Tennessee. Seeing the process made me want to understand and appreciate it more, and of course I bought one of those special bottles you can only get there. I eased into it with ice and water (too much really), and kind of tempered my taste to the point where I take it ... well, with less ice and water, but not overly diluted.

Any other whiskey drinkers (not just the sops)? Good labels you'd recommend, especially any smaller labels?

my brother got me a bottle of jefferson bourbon for christmas that was absolutely fantastic. i highly recommend it.

also, you can never go wrong with crown royal.

Comment

Stop drinking Jack Daniels.

As most savvy drinkers are by now aware, Jack Danielís Old No. 7 is no longer with us.

It has been knifed in the back by the greedy corporate clowns at Brown-Forman, the conglomerate that bought the Jack Daniel distillery in 1956. Mr. Danielís once excellent whiskey began life as a 90 proof liquor, but about 17 years ago the proof was lowered to 86. Now it has been lowered again, to a timid 80 proof. Americaís best bourbon is now a ghost.

The decision makers at Brown-Forman have not only rendered Jackís whiskey less palatable, they have also managed to defile an important part of our national heritage.

Comment

another good bourbon i just remembered is bulleit. my friend brought it to a new years party and i drank quite a fair share of it.

Comment

Oh and some good bourbons are:

Booker's
          Evan Williams
          Jim Beam Black Label
          And if you can find it: Buffalo Trace.

Comment

Originally posted by weekapaugjz View Post
            another good bourbon i just remembered is bulleit. my friend brought it to a new years party and i drank quite a fair share of it.

i like that too. as a matter of fact i think you recommended it to me a while back.

however... it's a bourbon, not whiskey. personally, i don't see a diff., but i live in tennessee now, so i gotta toe the state line

edit - i like buffalo trace too
            Last edited by SinA; 04-18-2008, 07:46 PM. Reason: so i don't double post

Comment

Originally posted by BoondockSaint View Post
              Oh and some good bourbons are:

Booker's
              Evan Williams
              Jim Beam Black Label
              And if you can find it: Buffalo Trace.
              Are you joking or are those serious reccomendations? Evan Williams is Jack Daniel's red headed step child. It might be one of the worst tasting "bourbons" I've ever had. Though I am intrigued by Buffalo Trace, I've never even heard of it but it sounds good as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGameHHH View Post
                Are you joking or are those serious reccomendations? Evan Williams is Jack Daniel's red headed step child. It might be one of the worst tasting "bourbons" I've ever had. Though I am intrigued by Buffalo Trace, I've never even heard of it but it sounds good as hell.
                Evan Williams is a good, cheap bourbon.

Comment

Maker's Mark fan since day one.

Comment

Originally posted by BoondockSaint View Post
                    Evan Williams is a good, cheap bourbon.
                    I would just go with cheap, but we all have different tastes so im not gonna rag on ya for it. If you notice after you have a glass of Evan it starts tasting almost similar to Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGameHHH View Post
                      I would just go with cheap, but we all have different tastes so im not gonna rag on ya for it. If you notice after you have a glass of Evan it starts tasting almost similar to Jack.

Not to me. Like you said, we all have different tastes. I know people who like Jim Beam white label better than black label. Drink what you like, not what you're supposed to like.

Comment

Blantons
                        Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Comment

Originally posted by SinA View Post
                          however... it's a bourbon, not whiskey. personally, i don't see a diff., but i live in tennessee now, so i gotta toe the state line
                          jack daniels is a tennessee whiskey, a sub-class of bourbons, much as bourbon is a sub-class of the larger whiskey group. to compare jack daniels with other whiskeys but not other bourbons is silly (and apparently there is only one other tennessee whiskey).

Comment

Originally posted by PhilDeez View Post
                            Blantons
                            Wild Turkey Rare Breed
                            I vote for Blanton's, though my wife does get upset when I spend forty dollars for a fifth.

Comment

A few others I have enjoyed

and

I don't think Kopper Kettle is widely known, but it's local and I prefer locally produced products when possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X