X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childhood Fashion Faux-Pas?

During a conversation with a friend today I remembered I used to wear a bolo-tie when I was about 10. My mom was going to Texas on a business a lot and I remember thinking they were really cool.

I also had spikey bangs when I was in 4th grade... the shorter and spiker, the better... in reality I looked like an ass.

Were you a childhood "fashion" victim?

When I was a kid my parents used to make me wear husky pants from Sears that weren't long enough, "high waters"...

And when I was 8 I carried around a briefcase for school instead of a bookbag.

Der.

Comment

Originally posted by LaBoob View Post
      During a conversation with a friend today I remembered I used to wear a bolo-tie when I was about 10. My mom was going to Texas on a business a lot and I remember thinking they were really cool.

I also had spikey bangs when I was in 4th grade... the shorter and spiker, the better... in reality I looked like an ass.

Were you a childhood "fashion" victim?
      Of course, but does it make you a victim if you do it to yourself? I remember getting "tracks" shaved into the sides of my head, wearing my overalls backwards during the Kriss-Kross phase at age 12, and wearing a nose warmer to Kindergarden.

What's a Nose Warmer you ask? A nose warmer is nothing more than a mini beanie knitted out of yarn with one string on either side. The purpose was to tie this awful thing (which was red, white, blue and oh so subtle) around your head and the 'cap' goes over your nose, thus keeping it warm in the winter months. This gift was the brain child of my very backwoods, but very sweet, free spirited aunt. So being a naive kindergartener, I wore it to school because it was cold out. I was mercilessly teased and abused when I got to class, even by the teacher. What a friggin embarassment that was (even though if it were someone else, I would've did the same). Damn those scarring memories. Here's an artist's rendition of that day:

But a few years ago when I met my fiance, I was telling her about the incident over a few drinks. She knitted one for me and put it with my Christmas presents. Damn fine stitching too.
      Last edited by ANC; 05-13-2008, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Jams, skidz, Coca Cola wear

Comment

Originally posted by ANC View Post
          Of course, but does it make you a victim if you do it to yourself?
          Of course, or even if your parents did it to you, which was initially the case with my spikey bangs, but I will admit I liked them at the time.

Your picture is priceless.

I never heard of a nosewarmer before in my entire life. I believe your aunt made that up to ensure you'd never have any friends!

Comment

When I was five we were going on a cruise. My mother had gotten her hands on some bright fuchsia velvet material which happened to "fall off the truck" at my dad's work. She paid a woman to make her a gown to wear at the formal dinner on the cruise and there was material left over. So, my mom had this lady make me a suit with it.

I not only wore that bright fuchsia velvet suit on the cruise but at every family wedding and party for the next couple of years. To this day there are pictures of me wearing that suit in my parent's living room and my kids get a good chuckle out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by LaBoob View Post
              Of course, or even if your parents did it to you, which was initially the case with my spikey bangs, but I will admit I liked them at the time.

Your picture is priceless.

I never heard of a nosewarmer before in my entire life. I believe your aunt made that up to ensure you'd never have any friends!
              Why thank you. It displays my young Italian American Afro. I guess my aunt figured she invented some new thing that would catch on. When I came home and told my mom, she was horrified that I wore it and threw it right in the trash.
              Last edited by ANC; 05-13-2008, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Smails View Post
                When I was five we were going on a cruise. My mother had gotten her hands on some bright fuchsia velvet material which happened to "fall off the truck" at my dad's work. She paid a woman to make her a gown to wear at the formal dinner on the cruise and there was material left over. So, my mom had this lady make me a suit with it.

I not only wore that bright fuchsia velvet suit on the cruise but at every family wedding and party for the next couple of years. To this day there are pictures of me wearing that suit in my parent's living room and my kids get a good chuckle out of them.
                Did you wear the suit and your Mom wear the dress at the same event?

Comment

Originally posted by ANC View Post
                  Did you wear the suit and your Mom wear the dress at the same event?
                  You got that right. The next time I'm over my parent's house I'll see if I can borrow a photo to scan and make an avatar out of.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Smails View Post
                    You got that right. The next time I'm over my parent's house I'll see if I can borrow a photo to scan and make an avatar out of.
                    Nice! That would be sweet!

Comment

in kindergarten I had a sweet pair of pink moccasins.

Comment

Comment

I still have pictures of this somewhere - Plaid pants, saddle shoes and a red turtleneck. You never saw such a handsome 5 year old!

Comment

Originally posted by BoondockSaint View Post
                            It's just missing the caption " 'Sup Ladiessssssss....."

Comment

"Abercrombie & Fitch, the same retailer that enraged parents last year with a summer catalog of teenage-looking models groping each other and in the nude, now offers several varieties of thongs at its Abercrombie stores, the division of the company for children 7 to 14 years old."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=43941

Comment

Working...
                              X