Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Buddhists?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any Buddhists?

    I was wondering if there were any Buddhists on this board? I converted from Catholicism about a year ago. I'm now a Nichiren Buddhist, a member of SGI.

    Wondering who else in the ronfez.net community is?

  • #2
    I sit regularly at the Fire Lotus Zen Temple in Brooklyn and try to follow Buddhist teachings.

    Comment


    • #3
      In the past few years i have read a lot about it and even talked with some of the monks here on S.I. but I don't follow it enough to say I am one.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by smiler grogan View Post
        In the past few years i have read a lot about it and even talked with some of the monks here on S.I. but I don't follow it enough to say I am one.
        Have you heard about SGI? We have a few groups here on Staten Island. They are amazing people, we meet once a month or so.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by yojimbo7248 View Post
          I sit regularly at the Fire Lotus Zen Temple in Brooklyn and try to follow Buddhist teachings.
          That's cool, I don't know much about Zen Buddhism. What teachings do you follow specifically?

          Comment


          • #6
            I have read many books and gathered a lot of information, but I am not necessarily practicing enough to say I am Buddhist. I do however find it amazing and enlightening when I read about it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by boosterp View Post
              I have read many books and gathered a lot of information, but I am not necessarily practicing enough to say I am Buddhist. I do however find it amazing and enlightening when I read about it.
              Same here. My wife really opened my eyes to how incredible it is. What do you find amazing about it? I find it amazing how much responsibility it gives each individual. There's no higher power that gives you things, the responsibility lies within yourself to find happiness and good fortune. Also, our biggest goal and hope is for world peace. It's inspiring.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by foodcourtdruide View Post
                That's cool, I don't know much about Zen Buddhism. What teachings do you follow specifically?
                I definitely meant "follow Buddhist teachings" lightly and wouldn't call myself a Buddhist. The thing I like about Zen is that it emphasizes meditation as a means to start to clear the mental static that keeps our inherent good nature from coming through. I have found sitting helps me see through some of my own bullshit and has started to help me see that life is more simple than I had previously thought. Zen, as I understand it, believes that meditation leads to clarity that makes you realize the connection to other people and the world. I have friends who study Tibetan Buddhism and they put much more emphasis outward morality and compassion. I like this too but I feel more at home going to the temple and silently sitting. I know there are teachings behind Zen that I don't understand. Since I am at the very beginning stage, I am working on meditating. After coming from a Christian background, I love that no one is telling me that I need to believe anything at the moment.

                Could you write more about nichiren? I'm very interested in all types of Buddhism.
                Last edited by yojimbo7248; 12-05-2008, 06:43 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Having studied various martial arts since I was a kid, I've been involved with Eastern philosophy for over 25 years. I wouldn't call myself a Buddhist or Taoist, but I do take a lot from all the schools of thought.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here is a great source with links: http://www.religioustolerance.org/buddhism3.htm

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ive always wanted to learn more about buddhism but never seem to actually acomplish it

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by foodcourtdruide View Post
                        Have you heard about SGI? We have a few groups here on Staten Island. They are amazing people, we meet once a month or so.
                        I have not. Could you pm me the info please buddy?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by foodcourtdruide View Post
                          Same here. My wife really opened my eyes to how incredible it is. What do you find amazing about it? I find it amazing how much responsibility it gives each individual. There's no higher power that gives you things, the responsibility lies within yourself to find happiness and good fortune. Also, our biggest goal and hope is for world peace. It's inspiring.
                          I missed your question last time. What I find amazing is the same reasons that you typed. It has certainly opened my mind and I feel one can not use Buddha's teachings as a crutch like some do with many other religions.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            TheBigView.com is a great site that covers many philosophies, including Buddhism and the Tao Te Ching.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Tao Te Ching changed my life.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X