Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor

    Absolutely one of my favorite childhood memories - the place was only good for birthdays - I think we went there once, with my folks, for an actual dinner and it just felt wrong. They all closed - someone has the franchise, though, and is making a run of it out in California.

    Complete and total cheeseball-ness - perfect for anyone growing up in the early 60s, 70s or 80s - back when we really did think that it was cool that Fonzi jumped that shark, not knowing how ironic we would one day find it!



    Mix in one-part Old Fashion Hokum, a dash of convenience, a sprinkle of Chuck E. Cheese-a-peal, a pound of Party Cake Ice Cream and two parts bells and whistles; mix it all together in a giant pigs troff before heating it up in a pre-cable television/internet/cynical tween environment, and serving it like you were the the Keystone Cops to a group of 20 ten year olds.

    I'm moving to Santa Clara!

  • #2
    i loved that place. there was one in the staten island mall and we would always go it. i would rather go there than to a freakin' applebee's.

    Comment


    • #3
      There was one in East Brunswick too. I always remember them hitting the big bass drum in the middle of the restaurant during a birthday or a celebration. Because of the architecture of the Brunswick Square mall, you had to go through a tunnel before you got in there (don't ask)

      It's now a scrubs store.

      Comment


      • #4
        and after perusing the website, I know Farrell's is dedicated to old-timey nostaglia, but that doesn't include web design from the mid-90's. Jeez...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AKA View Post
          Absolutely one of my favorite childhood memories - the place was only good for birthdays - I think we went there once, with my folks, for an actual dinner and it just felt wrong. They all closed - someone has the franchise, though, and is making a run of it out in California.
          I had a birthday party there as a kid. I overstuffed myself and thew up ice cream in the entranceway on the way out.

          Comment


          • #6
            I loved Farrells. They had a thing called "the Zoo", and it was this huge silver bowl full of ice cream for like 5 people, and they'd bring it out on a stretcher and all the lights in the place would flash and the waiters would run it around the restaurant blowing kazoos.

            Good times.

            Comment


            • #7
              I thought this thread was going to be about this cokie:
              Shake it up. How can I be the man...

              Comment


              • #8
                Farrells was Fucking Awsome


                As Stugots Said, there was one in Staten Island. There would be a Candy Store oin the Front with all cool Candy Choices.

                Then a Kick Ass Restaurant with a Dessert menu, that can match any place in the world.

                The Kicker was that they gave you a Free Sundae on your Burfday( plus a big Brass Drum . I would get 6 or 7 a year until I was flagged as a Fatty who wanted free Ice Cream

                They placed a Red Robin in its place, I loved Red Robin, but it and Staten Island didnt mix, now we have 87 Applebees and no cool chains

                This Rant is Over

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mikeyboy View Post
                  I had a birthday party there as a kid. I overstuffed myself and thew up ice cream in the entranceway on the way out.
                  NICE!

                  We lived for the one at Springfield Mall. ALWAYS got "The Zoo." ALWAYS ate too much. I remember coming back from college and seeing it had closed completely broke my heard

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by King Hippos Bandaid View Post
                    Farrells was Fucking Awsome


                    As Stugots Said, there was one in Staten Island. There would be a Candy Store oin the Front with all cool Candy Choices.

                    Then a Kick Ass Restaurant with a Dessert menu, that can match any place in the world.

                    The Kicker was that they gave you a Free Sundae on your Burfday( plus a big Brass Drum . I would get 6 or 7 a year until I was flagged as a Fatty who wanted free Ice Cream

                    They placed a Red Robin in its place, I loved Red Robin, but it and Staten Island didnt mix, now we have 87 Applebees and no cool chains

                    This Rant is Over
                    i really had no idea it was a chain till i seen this thread. The name Farrell is on a few businesses in staten island and i guessed they were part of it. the only other place i can say i liked as a kid was the ground round. other than that, it was mom and pop type places for us.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      howcanibethemanwhenyoutheman shakeitup!!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        i believe there was one in or near the Paramus Mall. went there a couple times as a kid...

                        i liked the ice cream i'm sure but I remember thinking the 'singing birthday siren' thing was corny and weird, even as a kid... didn't they bring out a big bucket of ice cream or something like that

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          had a many birthday parties at farrell's

                          loved it when they used to bang the gong

                          i think there's a chevy's there now where farrell's used to be

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The one in the staten island mall had a player piano.

                            An amazing day was getting a t-shirt with a cool iron-on in the honeycomb and then checking out the piano at Farrell's

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              shake it up!

                              i miss hiss crappy voice in the morning

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X