X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could make a change

I read comments from people complaining about our system of government in the United States, but nobody seems to offer alot of ideas for change. If you could make one change in our system of governance, what would it be?

Personally, I would rip off a British idea. They use a vehicle for communication between the levels of government called "The Prime Minister's Question Time". It is held during the House of Commons regular work day each Wednesday and they essentially force the executive branch answer the questions of the elected legislative branch.

It's a cool idea that would allow us a little more transparency in government and also give us a better idea of which of our elected officials have their shit together.

Link to the BBC site with an archive of Question Time.

Now, my challenge to you...what ONE change would you make?

I would get rid of the Electoral College and allow the people to directly choose the President. I think anything we can do to get rid of some special interest groups would be a move in a positive direction.

Comment

Are you talking about governmental structure or anything having to do with government/legislation.

If it's anything, then I would institute a flat tax - anybody over the poverty line would pay a flat percentage of their income in tax. Details can be provided if necessary.

If you are talking structure, I would transition the US to a Proportional Democracy rather than the 2 party system.

Comment

Originally posted by CPW3 View Post
        I would get rid of the Electoral College and allow the people to directly choose the President. I think anything we can do to get rid of some special interest groups would be a move in a positive direction.
        Not that I have any love for the electoral college, but I don't really see how eliminating it would do anything to special interest groups.

Is there a way I could just eliminate the lobbying industry off the face of the earth?

Comment

I'd replace oversight committees and inspector generals with The Wheel. It will apply to campaign promises as well as any other indescressions.

"Bust a deal, face the wheel."

And I'd replace the UN Security Council with Thunderdome.

"This is the truth of it! Fighting leads to killing. And killing leads to warring! And that was damn near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up and everyone talking about hard rain. But we've learned by the dust of them all, Bartertowns learned. Now when men get to fighting, it happens here... and it finishes here! Two men enter... one man leaves."

And, of course, Dr Dealgood would run both of them.

Comment

anyone who has voted for george w bush is no longer allowed to vote

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman View Post
              What about the ones who voted for Nader in 2000?

Comment

This probably wouldn't help anything. All things considered I'd prefer some sort of oligarchy to the shit bag democracy we have now whose problems include both the corrupt, pandering politicans and the morons who vote for them because they think Candidate A barbecues better than Candidate B.

Originally posted by Dudeman View Post
                Bush isn't the problem.

Originally posted by BeltOfScotch View Post
                Not that I have any love for the electoral college, but I don't really see how eliminating it would do anything to special interest groups.

Is there a way I could just eliminate the lobbying industry off the face of the earth?
                Ding ding ding. Belt is on the right track.

The problem is that politicians from both sides are in the pockets of big business and if they weren't in the pockets of big business they wouldn't be able to run because of the ridiculous fees that is required to run. An idealist cannot make it and even if they did they'd be too bogged down in insignificant committees and never listened to because of their junior status.

Then we have these politicans too afraid of appearing too intense or too passionate because then they're painted as freaks. Like the rest of this country, they become too afraid to say anything that might appear to possible be mean to special interest groups (who also pay their bills) that could turn against them on a dime. So they try to go as narrow and simple and insignificant as possible.

And maybe make the terms of the Congressmen and President a little longer. Yes they're assholes mostly but when they have to start re-campaigning a week after getting into office is it any wonder nothing gets done?

Though I am a total proponent of the Ron's Divided States of America idea.
                Last edited by LiddyRules; 07-27-2007, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure how getting rid of the Electoral College will help eliminate special interest groups, but I agree that it does have to go. It's from an old way of thinking; that the common man is too stupid to elect the president. I don't understand why they didn't get rid of it when they changed it so the Senate is directly elected by the people.

Comment

Originally posted by LiddyRules View Post
                    Ding ding ding. Belt is on the right track.

The problem is that politicians from both sides are in the pockets of big business and if they weren't in the pockets of big business they wouldn't be able to run because of the ridiculous fees that is required to run. An idealist cannot make it and even if they did they'd be too bogged down in insignificant committees and never listened to because of their junior status.

Then we have these politicans too afraid of appearing too intense or too passionate because then they're painted as freaks. Like the rest of this country, they become too afraid to say anything that might appear to possible be mean to special interest groups (who also pay their bills) that could turn against them on a dime. So they try to go as narrow and simple and insignificant as possible.

And maybe make the terms of the Congressmen and President a little longer. Yes they're assholes mostly but when they have to start re-campaigning a week after getting into office is it any wonder nothing gets done?

Though I am a total proponent of the Ron's Divided States of America idea.
                    Agreed, Liddy.

And although this is more an issue of civic education than actually changing government structure, I would try to get people more involved in state-level elections for Congressman and Senators. I am not sure if the majority of people, especially younger people, understand how critical the Congress and the Senate are to the operation of our country, as the representatives of State interests and the makers of laws. The Presidential elections get a lot of attention and participation, but I am not certain that people realize that the president is supposed to be an official of limited power who has to listen to and work with Congress and the Senate, rather than command their actions.

Comment

Complete overhaul of campaign financing and have publicly funded campaigns. Take the corporate and special interest big bucks out of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jujubees2 View Post
                        Complete overhaul of campaign financing and have publicly funded campaigns. Take the corporate and special interest big bucks out of the equation.
                        Man, that's a good one. Can I change my answer?

Comment

Originally posted by cupcakelove View Post
                          I'm not sure how getting rid of the Electoral College will help eliminate special interest groups, but I agree that it does have to go. It's from an old way of thinking; that the common man is too stupid to elect the president. I don't understand why they didn't get rid of it when they changed it so the Senate is directly elected by the people.
                          By special interests I mean the fact that a candidate can focus on only a certain number of states and whore themsleves out to the special interests of the select states that are seen as beneficial to the election of said candidate.

If they were being voted in by the total number of ballots cast, then candidates would be beholden to all people not just the ones they think will help them during the election cycle.

I also like the campaign finance reform, anything to reduce or eliminate lobbyists and special interests would be beneficial.

On a side note, Pig Shit would be a good alternative to fossil fuels
                          Last edited by Crispy123; 07-27-2007, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jujubees2 View Post
                            Originally posted by MadMatt View Post
                            Man, that's a good one. Can I change my answer?
                            I know. When I read epo's original post last night, I couldn't answer because I couldn't decide on what one thing I would change(there's so many that I would like to) but finally this morning I decide on real and true Campaign Finance Reform , and Mr Jujubee has gone and taken my answer. But I really do that would be the best way to eliminate the the most corporate money in the government.

Comment

Originally posted by LiddyRules View Post
                              I think this is the biggest problem we have going. Every one who runs tries to paint themselves as someone different, when in reality, they're basically the same as the last person. No one gets the funding when they don't vote party lines.

I think one of the only ways to eliminate this is to get rid of the big corporate money in politics, but then you get into curtailing First Amendment rights.

Comment

Working...
                              X