X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CountryBob View Post
    ... I jumped on the first thing I could ...
    Wrong thread?

Comment

At least in new York, a one hour commute is pretty normal. I've known of some people who commute to the city from Philly everyday.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
        At least in new York, a one hour commute is pretty normal. I've known of some people who commute to the city from Philly everyday.
        Yeah, an hour commute for a 20-mile drive!

Comment

Dittos in Chi-Town. I lived in Bucktown for awhile, and it was a half-hour for a 4-mile commute. I moved into a house on the extreme southeast side, still only 13 miles from my office, but jumped to an hour.

Comment

I live 8 miles from the job and it takes me about 10 minutes - ahh, living in a small town has its advantages...

Comment

Originally posted by CountryBob View Post
              I live 8 miles from the job and it takes me about 10 minutes - ahh, living in a small town has its advantages...
              Eight miles in ten minutes, eh? I hope it's all neighborhoods and school zones, and you just enjoy the daily challenge.

FWIW, Those Chicago numbers are history since I now live in a remoter environment. I gues some would call it small town-ish, too, but it's a bit of an anchor at the time because opportunities are at a long distance, and some (I believe, you confirm or refute) hiring managers do not believe that I've zero issues with a commute like that.

Comment

I can see it bc they may be thinking u have no issues now but six months to a year from now after ur paying out all that gas money you may bail and they'll have to search again
                So they're just avoiding a step that may never come but fear it may

Comment

Originally posted by Manning, Esq. View Post
                  Eight miles in ten minutes, eh? I hope it's all neighborhoods and school zones, and you just enjoy the daily challenge.

FWIW, Those Chicago numbers are history since I now live in a remoter environment. I gues some would call it small town-ish, too, but it's a bit of an anchor at the time because opportunities are at a long distance, and some (I believe, you confirm or refute) hiring managers do not believe that I've zero issues with a commute like that.
                  yep - mostly 25 MPH zones

Comment

Originally posted by TripleSkeet View Post
                    90 minutes one way? I could never do that. Its like adding 3 hours to my workday. How do you find the time to get anything else done?
                    Sometimes you do what you do for your family.

I commute an hour each way (suburbs to NYC). Not terrible, but it is two hours a day out of my life. But I do it for the quality of life it affords my wife and kids.

A friend of mine works for the NYC parks department. He wanted to give his family a better life on a parks department salary so he moved them to eastern Pennsylvania. During the week he stays with another friend of mine and he goes home on the weekend. He tries to be super-dad when he's home to make up for the time away.

That's an extreme (although not unheard of - it happens a lot in the construction industry in the New York area) but it shows what some people will sacrifice for their families.

Comment

Originally posted by Crash View Post
                      Sometimes you do what you do for your family.

I commute an hour each way (suburbs to NYC). Not terrible, but it is two hours a day out of my life. But I do it for the quality of life it affords my wife and kids.

A friend of mine works for the NYC parks department. He wanted to give his family a better life on a parks department salary so he moved them to eastern Pennsylvania. During the week he stays with another friend of mine and he goes home on the weekend. He tries to be super-dad when he's home to make up for the time away.

That's an extreme (although not unheard of - it happens a lot in the construction industry in the New York area) but it shows what some people will sacrifice for their families.
                      Dont get me wrong, if thats what you gotta do to supply for your family, you do it. I get that. But see your friend? I could never do that. As much as Id love to give my kids even more than they already have, I really believe at the end of the day theyd rather have their dad around every day and live in a smaller house with less nice things than have a big beutiful house and all the amenities, but only see their dad on the weekend. Not to mention it would kill me emotionally.

Comment

some people, and I'm not saying his friend, do this to actually get away from their family and have other lives away from home

there are some sick fucks out there too who find way rationalize it

Comment

Had an excellent interview Friday with head muckety-muck, an HR fella, and the outgoing incumbent. We went way long, based on the appointment as set up. I was referred by a former employee who's still in good with everyone. I'm over-qualified, but have some years of directly related experience. My ability to interpret law fits into the duties to some degree. It all felt great. The person who referred me reached out afterwards. The interviewers couldn't, of course, offer any reliable commentary--i.e., give a yea or nay--because they're still recruiting, have some internal candidates, and haven't made a decision.

Despite my sense that we had a perfect match, the only feedback that came through the referrer was that two of the panel thought I was very intelligent with an impressive background, and some envious experiences (their language). Super! Except, none of that seems code for, "He's the one." Rather, and I'm really trying to reflect optimism, it somes across as, "Wow, this guy's something special ... for someone."

Comment

Sounds good, overall. Best of luck!

Comment

Had an excellent interview Friday with head muckety-muck, an HR fella, and the outgoing incumbent. We went way long, based on the appointment as set up. I was referred by a former employee who's still in good with everyone. I'm over-qualified, but have some years of directly related experience. My ability to interpret law fits into the duties to some degree. It all felt great. The person who referred me reached out afterwards. The interviewers couldn't, of course, offer any reliable commentary--i.e., give a yea or nay--because they're still recruiting, have some internal candidates, and haven't made a decision.

Despite my sense that we had a perfect match, the only feedback that came through the referrer was that two of the panel thought I was very intelligent with an impressive background, and some envious experiences (their language). Super! Except, none of that seems code for, "He's the one." Rather, and I'm really trying to reflect optimism, it somes across as, "Wow, this guy's something special ... for someone."
                              Keep us posted!

Comment

If he dont hire you I will beat him up at the next HR mixer -

Comment

Working...
                                X