RonFez.net Messageboard

RonFez.net Messageboard (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/index.php)
-   Games And Sports (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   More Impressive? Favre's Streak or Ripken's (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=77542)

cougarjake13 02-13-2009 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowledged_one (Post 2123431)
But ripken never dhed how many games did favre start then come out of

wasnt sure so i checked

according to baseball reference.com he never dh'ed during the streak before or after he broke it

and for the most part he played complete games ( 9 innings ) ... after around the first 1000 games he started to have a sporadic few games where he'd come out early

then around 1500 the coming out early happened a lil more frequently but nothing huge

im not sure on the favre thing, i'll try to google it and see what i find

Freakshow 02-13-2009 06:14 PM

why isn't this Ripkin versus Jim Marshall, since Marshall started more consecutive football games than Favre?

cougarjake13 02-13-2009 06:21 PM

Brett Favre's Injuries

Car Accident – July 14, 1990

Separated Shoulder – Nov. 15, 1992

Hip Pointer – Oct. 20, 1994*

Sprained Ankle – Nov. 5, 1995*

Seizure – Off-season, 1996**

Sprained Thumb – Preseason, 1999

Tendonitis – Preseason, 2000

Mid-foot Sprain – Nov. 12, 2000*

Sprained Knee – Oct. 20, 2002*

Broken Thumb – Oct. 19, 2003

Concussion – Oct. 3, 2004*

Pinched Nerve in Arm – Nov. 19, 2006*

Left game due to injury*

Result of his addiction to painkillers**

cougarjake13 02-13-2009 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freakshow (Post 2123445)
why isn't this Ripkin versus Jim Marshall, since Marshall started more consecutive football games than Favre?

b/c jeff feagles broke the record

lleeder 02-13-2009 06:27 PM

How's car accident an injury? To steal from the great Brian Regan "Hey I have car accident I'm in alot of pain"

Freakshow 02-13-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougarjake13 (Post 2123458)
b/c jeff feagles broke the record

that was for games played, not starts. Although I see Farve had more playoff starts? I am a little confused, but it says

He played in 282 consecutive games, a record since surpassed by Jeff Feagles. He still holds the record for documented consecutive starts with 270[1] although there is a question as to whether his consecutive starts streak is 270 or 282 due to a lack of documentation of his streak as a member of the Cleveland Browns.[2]

cougarjake13 02-13-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lleeder (Post 2123461)
How's car accident an injury? To steal from the great Brian Regan "Hey I have car accident I'm in alot of pain"

its up there b/c it almost ended his career before it began

On July 14 th, 1990, Favre was involved in a car accident that not only put his future career in jeopardy, but also his life. Doctors treated him for a concussion, lacerations, and cracked vertebrae, along with 30 inches of his small intestines that were removed following complications.

Miraculously, Favre returned to quarterback his Southern Miss team to an 8-4 record during his senior year with the Golden Eagles. Favre’s first game back was an upset victory over Alabama on September 8 th, just eight weeks after his accident.

cougarjake13 02-13-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freakshow (Post 2123467)
that was for games played, not starts. Although I see Farve had more playoff starts? I am a little confused, but it says

He played in 282 consecutive games, a record since surpassed by Jeff Feagles. He still holds the record for documented consecutive starts with 270[1] although there is a question as to whether his consecutive starts streak is 270 or 282 due to a lack of documentation of his streak as a member of the Cleveland Browns.[2]

yeh favre has 269 reg season
291 overall

marshall has 270 as a viking, played 12 games as a brown in 1960, i guess they cant confirm if he played/started in those

played in 19 playoff games, so if its 270 plus 19 he has 289 and favre has 2 more
if they ever include those other 12 he'll still have both records

Freakshow 02-13-2009 06:46 PM

I honestly had no clue. I thought he passed whomever ages ago (I thought it was a OL, too).

underdog 02-13-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowledged_one (Post 2123431)
But ripken never dhed how many games did favre start then come out of

lleeder 02-13-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underdog (Post 2123510)

What a slacker.

Knowledged_one 02-13-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underdog (Post 2123510)

wrong 6

SP1! 02-13-2009 07:48 PM

Ripken's is pretty good but all of you arguing have no clue what football players to through every day, the NFL is a lot more stressing on your body than MLB, its why their careers are so short.

RhinoinMN 02-13-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SP1! (Post 2123557)
Ripken's is pretty good but all of you arguing have no clue what football players to through every day, the NFL is a lot more stressing on your body than MLB, its why their careers are so short.

True, but both games deliver two different types of stress to ones body. There are so many games in baseball that players can afford to take a game off every now and then to recuperate.

In football the players need most of the week to recupe.

The fact that a baseball players career is longer and a player can sustain his streak seems more impressive to me.

Knowledged_one 02-13-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SP1! (Post 2123557)

i think most of us have an idea what football players go through not to mention travel and the stress that puts on a baseball player
btw how is that pitchers mound cheating research going you will be giving proof about that right

SP1! 02-13-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RhinoinMN (Post 2123559)
The fact that a baseball players career is longer and a player can sustain his streak seems more impressive to me.

Well since you can basically take a night off by playing a little less aggressive and no one will notice, if farve did that they would talk about how shitty he has gotten.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowledged_one (Post 2123564)
i think most of us have an idea what football players go through not to mention travel and the stress that puts on a baseball player
btw how is that pitchers mound cheating research going you will be giving proof about that right

Unless you have played then you have no idea, I only made it to varsity for a couple of seasons and baseball was a vacation compared to football, hell even basket ball was harder than baseball over a season.

I didnt really give a shit about the pitching mound but its nice to know it bothered you even though its obvious that they changed it to increase offensive out put. Oh well go argue in that thread.

Knowledged_one 02-13-2009 08:16 PM

Actually i played in college so i think i have a clue. And good comparison hs sports and pro sports
and the pitcher mound thing you made the claim not us you lost credibility not us

SP1! 02-13-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowledged_one (Post 2123585)
Actually i played in college so i think i have a clue. And good comparison hs sports and pro sports

Im sure you did play in college, but just throwing the ball around with your frat brothers doesnt really count as playing in college. And it wasnt a comparison of the two levels, it was a comparison of a personal experience which is valid since they are the same level, I wasnt fucking comparing hs baseball and pro football you fucking moron.

Quote:

and the pitcher mound thing you made the claim not us you lost credibility not us
Really, that made me lose credibilty? All of you were the ones making assumptions that people were juicing, doctoring the ball, and stealing the signs with zero actual proof. Fact remains that aaron doesnt have 3 positive tests but somehow just because some blogger writes it all of you want to accept it as truth and any other reasons are ignored.

The Jays 02-13-2009 08:38 PM

I don't think either streak is impressive. To keep a spot on the field on days when you are not 100% is a burden on your team... it's seems so fucking selfish to not take a day off every once in a while just because it's important to set some sort of record, it's like the kid at school who maintains 100% attendance just so he can get his or her name announced at the end of the year.

TheMojoPin 02-13-2009 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SP1! (Post 2123594)
Really, that made me lose credibilty? All of you were the ones making assumptions that people were juicing, doctoring the ball, and stealing the signs with zero actual proof. Fact remains that aaron doesnt have 3 positive tests but somehow just because some blogger writes it all of you want to accept it as truth and any other reasons are ignored.

Nobody is saying Aaron juiced for sure. Some of us simply think it's a possibility. There's really no reason he is totally above suspicion given that use of PED's in baseball can arguably go back 40-45 years.

I'm still curious as to which teams were gettin away with using 15 inch mounds 2-3 years after they were lowered.

SP1! 02-14-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMojoPin (Post 2123617)
Nobody is saying Aaron juiced for sure. Some of us simply think it's a possibility. There's really no reason he is totally above suspicion given that use of PED's in baseball can arguably go back 40-45 years.

I'm still curious as to which teams were gettin away with using 15 inch mounds 2-3 years after they were lowered.

I never said they didnt lower them, I said that they didnt completely enforce regulations but that is still rumor just a little bit stronger than that guys link about aaron using steroids. I could post stats of certain teams or ballparks but it really doesnt mean shit, just like his link, that guy is a moron. Oh and if you read espn it shows bonds is in a whole lot of trouble even if anderson doesnt testify.

Philip 02-21-2009 10:41 PM

Favre .............baseball players just stand there.

Marc with a c 02-22-2009 12:41 AM

cal.

because his is absolutely unbreakable.

TheMojoPin 02-22-2009 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SP1! (Post 2123814)
I never said they didnt lower them, I said that they didnt completely enforce regulations but that is still rumor just a little bit stronger than that guys link about aaron using steroids. I could post stats of certain teams or ballparks but it really doesnt mean shit, just like his link, that guy is a moron. Oh and if you read espn it shows bonds is in a whole lot of trouble even if anderson doesnt testify.

It's a ridiculous rumor. For one, it would benefit both teams playing, so it makes no sense for the home team to keep the mound higher since the visiting team could easily benefit from it just as much. And who even talks like the mounds were still 5 inches higher years after the fact? Where was this "rumor" ever discussed?

cougarjake13 02-22-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMojoPin (Post 2135060)
It's a ridiculous rumor. For one, it would benefit both teams playing, so it makes no sense for the home team to keep the mound higher since the visiting team could easily benefit from it just as much. And who even talks like the mounds were still 5 inches higher years after the fact? Where was this "rumor" ever discussed?

he's from earth 2 so excuse him if he hasnt caught up on our culture yet