RonFez.net Messageboard

RonFez.net Messageboard (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/index.php)
-   01001101 01101111 01101101's Basement (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Mass Effect 3 (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91640)

booster11373 03-03-2012 06:35 PM

Mass Effect 3

Coming soon.

Tuesday actually.

Should be awesome.

weekapaugjz 03-03-2012 08:38 PM

i'm looking forward to this. just finished playing 2.

Chimee 03-04-2012 10:11 AM

I'm looking forward to the game, I'm not looking forward to EA hiding in the shadows, waiting to mug me.

booster11373 03-04-2012 02:02 PM

EA its NOT in the game, You pay extra for that

booster11373 03-06-2012 11:46 AM

Happy Mass Effect day to all!

UPS just delivered my copy woo hoo

CountryBob 03-06-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booster11373 (Post 2948845)
Happy Mass Effect day to all!

UPS just delivered my copy woo hoo

see ya in like 500 playing hours!

ENjoy!

realmenhatelife 03-07-2012 05:12 AM

My brother was playing this with the kinect last night, he sounded like an asshole. Fire! Fire!

Chimee 03-07-2012 10:20 AM

Just picked it up. I shan't be shouting commands at it.

Misteriosa 03-07-2012 11:13 AM

are any of you guys gonna pick the gay option?

(and i swear i'm not trolling you guys)

HBox 03-07-2012 01:39 PM

So far this is my favorite of the series but one thing that has surprised me is the number of really really funny moments. The writing in this game is terrific, except for one funny but ultimately ridiculous and unbelievable minor side plot.

CountryBob 03-07-2012 04:30 PM

do you have to still mine planets for ore? I thought that was a huge time waster

HBox 03-07-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryBob (Post 2949492)
do you have to still mine planets for ore? I thought that was a huge time waster

Nope. You have to search planets for war assets but that is far quicker and much less annoying this time around.

weekapaugjz 03-07-2012 05:04 PM

not sure if anyone was aware of it, but dark horse recently put out an art of mass effect book. here's a link to a little preview of some of the content. look's pretty sweet.

Art of Mass Effect Preview

and it's looking with my finances, i'm gonna have to wait until my birthday at the end of this month to pick up this game :down:

Chimee 03-08-2012 02:31 PM

I already hate the constant disk changing on Xbox. I'm on one of the first side missions and I've had to put in Disk 2.

HBox 03-08-2012 04:43 PM

I finished it. I enjoyed this game more than the others in the series. The ending was pretty disappointing, however. Perhaps my biggest problem, without spoiling anything, is that if you are worried if some of the choices you've made in the series are going to have much of a bearing on the ending you get you are wrong. They have a minor effect at best, and even then it's only vicariously.

It's reminiscent of the Deus Ex: Human Revolution endgame, and having that here, in this series in particular, is so off the charts disappointing I can't believe they actually did it. Still, it was a great game. It turns bad 99% in, and the ending aren't so bad that they ruin everything.

HBox 03-08-2012 05:27 PM

After thinking about it a bit, I have a thought as to why I dislike the ending. Spoilered and down the page a bit, so if you're viewing this on a phone don't say I didn't try.

Obviously I would have liked to have at least one good, happy, ride off into the sunset ending. That obviously didn't happen. Every ending destroys all the relays and ends galactic civilization as they know it. And probably leads to many, many, many deaths even if the Reapers were destroyed. And all the endings kill Shephard which is disappointing. But any of those things presented in the right context would have made them work. In this case you have a series based on hope and freedom, hope that they can stop the reapers and regain the freedom to live their lives. And it's all built up beautifully and skillfully and the you meet the Catalyst and he essentially says "No, you can't have what you want, it won't work because I say so" and after EVERYTHING THAT'S HAPPENED, Shephard just goes "Oh, ok, guess I have 3 shitty choices then." And nothing is made of the fact that EDI and the Geth are actually fighting with the organics, that the Quarians and Geth just proved they can live in peace. The ending doesn't strike any right mark. Not one. It feels tacked on and not well thought out. Once Shephard and Anderson reached the Citadel at the end everything felt off.

Oh, and where the fuck did the Normandy run off to?!

Bob Impact 03-11-2012 06:33 PM

And why in the holy fuck did Joker pick up EVERYONE WHO WAS AT THE FORWARD BASE and immediately head towards the nearest mass relay for no good reason?

Chimee 03-12-2012 07:41 PM

Just finished it and I'm speechless at how that ended.

The Normandy crashing on the planet in the ending I got really gave me a Battlestar Galactica flashback.

I'll not take the Internet route and say the whole series was shit because the ending consisted of me saying "what the fuck" repeatedly for a half hour. Overall, I'd say the trilogy was a great achievement in videogame storytelling and, having beaten the entire series (the first two games twice) and watching all the choices I made unfold, I'm exhausted. I deleted everything, put the game on the shelf and I don't have the slightest desire to play another Mass Effect game again. I'm content with my universe and my undying love of blue women.

weekapaugjz 03-12-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimee (Post 2951736)
Just finished it and I'm speechless at how that ended.

The Normandy crashing on the planet in the ending I got really gave me a Battlestar Galactica flashback.

I'll not take the Internet route and say the whole series was shit because the ending consisted of me saying "what the fuck" repeatedly for a half hour. Overall, I'd say the trilogy was a great achievement in videogame storytelling and, having beaten the entire series (the first two games twice) and watching all the choices I made unfold, I'm exhausted. I deleted everything, put the game on the shelf and I don't have the slightest desire to play another Mass Effect game again. I'm content with my universe and my undying love of blue women.

so do you want to sell me your copy cheap?

Chimee 03-13-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weekapaugjz (Post 2951788)
so do you want to sell me your copy cheap?

It's going into the Wii U fund, where, at the end of the year, I walk into Gamestop with a box of games and systems to buy a new system without spending a cent.

Bob Impact 03-13-2012 03:04 PM

So my first playthrough was Paragon, running through Renegade now just got to the part where
I shot Maelon in the back
. Feels bad, man.

booster11373 03-17-2012 07:56 AM

Wow just finished moments ago and like the rest I was disappointed by the ending.

I think I need time to digest it.............

The one thing consistent across all 3 games is at least 1 character that I could care less about. In ME 1 it was Kaiden, In ME 2 it was Jacob and in 3 it was James.

booster11373 03-17-2012 10:32 AM

Spoilers be damned!

After thinking about the ending how can it be seen a victory? its depressing no matter how you slice it. Im fine with the noble sacrifice of Shepard but the implications for the Galaxy after the choice is made are dire.

Earth is in ruins along with all the advanced planets of Citadel space, causalities are in the billions, In order to rebuild any of the civilizations, materials and manpower would be needed from the colonies most of which are inaccessible thanks to the destruction of the mass relay system.

Shepard and the allies where fighting to protect life from the reapers but the were also fighting to protect their civilization.

The civilization would be in ruins, galactic trade would cease to exist people are stranded where ever they were when the relays where destroyed.

How long would Edi last on some primitive planet with out specialized equipment for maintenance?

The ending sucks!

Chimee 03-17-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by booster11373 (Post 2954008)
Wow just finished moments ago and like the rest I was disappointed by the ending.

I think I need time to digest it.............

The one thing consistent across all 3 games is at least 1 character that I could care less about. In ME 1 it was Kaiden, In ME 2 it was Jacob and in 3 it was James.

The one choice in the game I was happiest with was leaving Kaiden to die.

Chimee 03-17-2012 01:00 PM

Looking back, I think that the ideal ending would have been the simplest. Shepard sacrifices himself to end the war and then the game shows you how all of your choices played out in the long-term of the galaxy.