RonFez.net Messageboard

RonFez.net Messageboard (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/index.php)
-   Ask The Oracle (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   PSE&G Worry Free? (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=84687)

Tenbatsuzen 10-17-2009 10:27 AM

PSE&G Worry Free?

Does anyone have a service contract with PSE&G for their heating/cooling/etc? If so, how is it working out for you? I"ve been considering it.

Hottub 10-17-2009 11:57 AM

I have my washer, dryer, stove and water heater on the plan. That's about 15 buck a month.
1 sevice call (without parts) a year will pretty much cover that. Having the parts icluded in the plan is gravy.
You can also schedule a service call on-line. I placed a call at 8 A.M., and the guy was at my house by 9. Pretty sweet. If your appliances are older, this is a no brainer.

sr71blackbird 10-19-2009 08:40 AM

I work for the utility on Long Island and the utility does not do any service within your home. PSE&G is unique like that. The only thing we have here similar is a plumbing and heating company with the same name, but they don't do anything with other appliances, so consider yourselves lucky there. Make use of it while you can, because it will certainly not last!

Jujubees2 10-19-2009 09:08 AM

I've had one with National Grid Energy (used to be Brooklyn Union Gas) for the furnance and hot water heater. It's about $275 a year and covers all emergencies (with parts) and includes one yearly cleaning. As Hotub mentioned, one service call would more than cover the cost (though I've been fairly lucky and haven't had to make many calls even though my furnace has to be 20-30 years old).

Freitag 10-19-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jujubees2 (Post 2540115)
I've had one with National Grid Energy (used to be Brooklyn Union Gas) for the furnance and hot water heater. It's about $275 a year and covers all emergencies (with parts) and includes one yearly cleaning. As Hotub mentioned, one service call would more than cover the cost (though I've been fairly lucky and haven't had to make many calls even though my furnace has to be 20-30 years old).

PSE&G's service is about 9/mo for the HW heater and the furnace. That's all we really need, we're planning on replacing the washer/dryer and AC within 2-3 years.

landarch 10-19-2009 10:29 AM

I finally signed up for that several years ago after I paid for one service call on the AC. My furnace was built with the house in 1957 and although it works great and is in great shape, there is no reason to have it uninsured when the insurance from PSE&G is so cheap. The rule of thum I used was to cover everything that I couldn't lift out of here and replace on my own. They offer to cover stove, dryer, washer, etc. but it's not worth it for me because I can either fix or replace them.

If you have an older AC, it pays to have it covered anyway. Ours has a small leak, and loses about a pound of coolant every year or two. They come and charge it every time with no questions asked. Also, the newest AC systems are being designed with a new refrigerant, with the plan to phase out the old R22 refrigerant. This will make the R22 extremely expensive in coming years, so it could be that one visit for your AC next year would more than pay for itself.

They were just here on Saturday for my heater. The fan limit switch went bad, and he had to make a couple of trips between here and his stockroom, but he got it going again in no time and for no additional cost. Very pleasant group of workers too. I can't recommend the service enough.

Freitag 10-19-2009 11:32 AM

Yeah, I just had to pay 140 for my furnace's igniter so I think I'm going to get it. I'm just flipping between getting it for the AC or not... just seems silly to pay for something for 12 months a year.

Hottub 10-19-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freitag (Post 2540179)
PSE&G's service is about 9/mo for the HW heater and the furnace. That's all we really need, we're planning on replacing the washer/dryer and AC within 2-3 years.

As I said, it's really helpfull with older appliances. Especially if you are trying to squeeze out a few more years. They've already been in 3 times for my dryer.

Freitag 10-19-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hottub (Post 2540323)
They've already been in 3 times for my dryer.

Here's an idea: STOP PUTTING THE CAT IN THERE.

topless_mike 10-19-2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freitag (Post 2540318)
Yeah, I just had to pay 140 for my furnace's igniter so I think I'm going to get it. I'm just flipping between getting it for the AC or not... just seems silly to pay for something for 12 months a year.

the thermocoupler? if so, thats a $30 part.

Jujubees2 10-19-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freitag (Post 2540179)

If nothing else it's piece of mind in case anything goes wrong. You don't have to try and find a repairman yourself, just call PSE&G and they take care of it. When the kids were younger I was always worried about losing the heat in the middle of winter.

I think I had to call once for a problem (no heat) and they had it up and runing on a cold winter day in a few hours.