RonFez.net Messageboard

RonFez.net Messageboard (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Netflix + iPad 2 + TV (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91789)

JimBeam 04-28-2012 10:02 AM

Netflix + iPad 2 + TV

We just signed up for Netflix and intend to use the iPad app connected to the tv.

We're using an iPad to HDMI connector from the iPad to an HDMI to HDMI that's into the tv.

We're seeing the streaming video on the tv but the picture looks liike shit.

It's blurry and resembles paint by numbers. It's like when you take a smaller video you're viewing on your computer and make it full screen.

There's not nearly the cripsness that we get when we view anything on the tv itself.

I have a 50 inch Samsung plasma but get the same results on a 37 inch Vizio LCD.

The Nexflix logo that appears before/after a video starts is as crisp as I'd expect.

Any thoughts ?

StanUpshaw 04-28-2012 10:16 AM

I have no specific knowledge about the iPad, but simple intuition tells me that an iPad only has the graphical might to render an image to fit its own screen. It would be all sorts of wasteful to stick a heavy-duty graphics chip in a portable device.

The logo is probably some sort of SVG that doesn't require any additional processing.

edit: Here's an article that says Netflix for iPad only streams at 640×480.

underdog 04-28-2012 10:38 AM

How new is the Samsung? It might be able to stream Netflix itself.

JimBeam 04-28-2012 10:43 AM

TV's at least 4 years old.

Thanks for the help.

I shouldn't have the problem if I use my computer though huh ?

Chigworthy 04-28-2012 11:33 AM

I'm guessing you are streaming via wi-fi through the ipad which is silly. Netflix plays back at a quality on par with your connection; better connection, better playback. Wire that shit to the router.

Tenbatsuzen 04-28-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBeam (Post 2968275)
We just signed up for Netflix and intend to use the iPad app connected to the tv.

We're using an iPad to HDMI connector from the iPad to an HDMI to HDMI that's into the tv.

We're seeing the streaming video on the tv but the picture looks liike shit.

It's blurry and resembles paint by numbers. It's like when you take a smaller video you're viewing on your computer and make it full screen.

There's not nearly the cripsness that we get when we view anything on the tv itself.

I have a 50 inch Samsung plasma but get the same results on a 37 inch Vizio LCD.

The Nexflix logo that appears before/after a video starts is as crisp as I'd expect.

Any thoughts ?

Don't you have a 360 or PS3 on that TV? YOu can use Netflix through that.

disneyspy 04-28-2012 02:45 PM

do you have a tivo box? it has a netflix ap on it

JimBeam 04-28-2012 03:09 PM

Negative on the XBox. Had to give up that kind stuff once I had a aby crawling/walking around.

No TiVo as I have AT&T Uverse w/ a DVR.

Quote:

I'm guessing you are streaming via wi-fi through the ipad which is silly. Netflix plays back at a quality on par with your connection; better connection, better playback. Wire that shit to the router.
Can you explain this more ?

Meaning I can connect the iPad directly to the router and that would give me better quaility through the TV ?

My wife got the iPad for work and we thought it would be good to have the Netflix for that. Somebody gave us the connection wires I mentioned earlier so I thought it would work good.

Either way thanks again for all the feedback.

Chigworthy 04-28-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimBeam (Post 2968305)
Negative on the XBox. Had to give up that kind stuff once I had a aby crawling/walking around.

No TiVo as I have AT&T Uverse w/ a DVR.

Can you explain this more ?

Meaning I can connect the iPad directly to the router and that would give me better quaility through the TV ?

My wife got the iPad for work and we thought it would be good to have the Netflix for that. Somebody gave us the connection wires I mentioned earlier so I thought it would work good.

Either way thanks again for all the feedback.

Yes, if you can hook the ipad up directly to the router for your connection (LAN), I bet your netflix performance will be better.