RonFez.net Messageboard

RonFez.net Messageboard (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/index.php)
-   Games And Sports (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   2011-12 NBA Season (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=84747)

hammersavage 10-21-2009 03:53 PM

2011-12 NBA Season

6 days til tip off. Here is an Eastern Conference preview for all the relevant and local teams:

Celtics-The health of the Big 3 (or is it 4 now with Sheed), particularly KG's knee. Sheed can be well behaved when he is on a team who is winning and with the veterans that surround him in Boston, I don't think he will be an issue at all.
Rando's mindset with the trade rumors this offseason will be a question mark for a kid who, despite having the talent to be a top 5 PG in the league, has shown immaturity at times. It could be the last run for this group. If age doesn't catch up with them, the should easily win the division and compete to represent the East in the Finals.

Cavs-Is Shaq really the #2 LeBron's never truly had in Cleveland? Not exactly, but the big man did show he had something left in the tank last year (thank you Phoenix Suns training staff). I think the Jamario Moon/Anthony Parker signings that will make more of an impact, especially on the perimeter where the Magic murdered them in playoffs last year.
They have the best player on the planet who will surely be on the short list for MVP when the season is over. With free agency looming, this is the Cav's last chance to keep the king reigning in Cleveland.

Magic-The idea of Vince Carter taking a shot in a big spot should make Orlando fans cringe. Losing Hedo was the biggest loss for any contender this offseason, he could play any position for them. Courtney Lee and Rafer Alston played important minutes for them in the postseason.
But Jameer Nelson is healthy and he was incredible in the first half for them last year. The best center in the league. Bringing Gortat back and the acquisition of Ryan Anderson were sneaky moves that will payoff big. They are too talented to falter during the regular season, but I think with the matchup problems that they used to create now much smaller and VC in a big spot, I don't think they can make it out of the East.

Bulls-Losing Ben Gordon hurts, especially on their perimeter shooting. But if Rose gets better in his second year, now with a healthy Luol Deng, they could contend. They are in the 2nd tier of Eastern Conference teams. The Wizards are at the bottom rung of this crew.

Hawks-Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, and Al Horford are as talented a top 3 as there is in the East. But like Chicago, aren't in the same class as Cleveland, Boston and Orlando.

Heat-DWade can will them into the playoffs but not much more. He needs Beasley to figure it out if they expect to make a deep run. Only 2 players under contract after this year. The Summer of 2010 will be hanging over them if they don't have a team worthy of Wade to stay for.

Nets-$200 million doesn't buy what it used to. Devin Harris is an all-star and Brook Lopez is one of the better big men in the East. Terrence Williams will be a good pro, Courtney Lee can be a starter on a title contender, CRD committed himself to getting better in the offseason and can be a huge defensive presence. But they are a couple years away from competing. Who takes over the game in the 4th when they need a big shot? I think they will be more competitive then anyone is giving them credit for, but the playoffs won't be in the cards.

Knicks-Sure, they'll finally have the ever allusive 'cap space' after this season, but who will the player its spent on be playing aside? I guess they will be entertaining from an offensive perspective but there isn't much there to get excited about after Lee and Robinson. Can't wait to see what Darko provides.

stinkbud 10-22-2009 10:21 AM

OOOH YEA!!!

After their ouster in the eastern conf. finals, Bron and the Cavs are hungrier than ever. I am so fucking psyched for this season....SHAQ YALL!!!

GO CAVS!!! RING FOR THE KING BITCHES!!!!!

Snoogans 10-22-2009 10:52 AM

Knicks are gonna win the championship

disneyspy 10-22-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoogans (Post 2544803)
Knicks are gonna win the championship

kevin,snoogans is gonna kick your ass for stealin his password and posting rediculous messages

Snoogans 10-22-2009 10:59 AM

i said it hoping hippo mocks me for it so that it actually happens

disneyspy 10-22-2009 11:00 AM

check,the pistons are gonna be awesome this year!

King Hippos Bandaid 10-22-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoogans (Post 2544813)
i said it hoping hippo mocks me for it so that it actually happens

I already ordered my playoff tickets

Snoogans 10-22-2009 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Hippos Bandaid (Post 2545067)
I already ordered my playoff tickets

YOU SON OF A BITCH

hammersavage 10-22-2009 05:13 PM

5 days til tip off. Here is a preview of the relevant Western Conference teams:

Lakers-Kobe is the fiercest competitor there is so you know he will do everything he can to defend his title. Artest is in town and Ariza is out, a swap that I don't think will work for them. Phil Jackson gets credit, and rightfully so, for managing the Bulls dynasty during the Rodman years and how he handled him. Artest is a different animal, he's a million times crazier. Ariza had clearly made the leap during the playoffs and deserved to come back.
Still, they will win almost 70 regular season games if all goes according to plan and are the favorites to win the title again. I just think this mix doesn't get it done this year.

Spurs-The best offseason for any contender BY FAR. Duncan, Ginobli, Parker, Jefferson and McDyess is a scary 5. But Duncan has a ton of miles on him and Ginobli seems to roll an ankle twice a year. No team is as dependent on health as the Spurs are. If they stay healthy, they beat the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals.

Mavericks-Good but not quite good enough has been the M.O. of the Mavericks for almost the past decade. And although they improved significantly this offseason, they should remain that way. Really don't have the depth to make a run but should be an interesting team as always.

Nuggets-Their mantra this summer was 'stand pat'. No real additions. Hoping that the run they made last year (game 6 of the WCF) needed just another year of maturity and gelling to get over the top. I'm not so sure but Melo will come as close to winning the MVP as he has yet and Denver is still a top 4 team (at least) in the West.

Blazers-Andre Miller and Brandon Roy in the backcourt is scary. Oden becoming the defensive force he should be would put them in the upper echelon. This is the team that should take the next step and contend for the West.

Jazz, Hornets, Rockets, Clippers-Yea, I put the Clippers in this group. All talent teams, all with no chance of beating the Lakers or Spurs when it matters.

hammersavage 10-27-2009 02:42 PM

And hour til tipoff!!!!!!!

I took 4 bets. Rockets over 36.5 (they have no one, but Morey evaluates talent better than anyone and they seemingly can plug people in and be near .500), Spurs over 54.5 (gone over the last 4 years, most improved team in the league, I think could win the title), and Magic under 57.5 (I don't even like it that much, just want to root against Carter). And last the Nuggets to win the Northwest at +175.

I have no idea who is going to win the championship. I'll say Cavs over Spurs cuz that's what I'm rooting for, but I think 4 of the 5 contenders have fatal flaws.

Lebron MVP

Dejaun Blair ROY

Popovich Coach of the Year

K.C. 10-27-2009 05:45 PM

Tonight I have:

-Celtics money line (+170)
-Celtics +5
-Celtics/Cavs OVER 183.5
-Lakers money line (-800)
-Lakers -11.5

So far, so good. Cs need to hold on here in the fourth.

TheGameHHH 10-27-2009 06:30 PM

do we really have to watch the fucking massage therapist accept his championship ring? thanks tnt.

TheGameHHH 10-27-2009 06:33 PM

wait, scratch that.....watching Adam Morrison accept his NBA Championship ring was easily the highlight of my night. I honestly could not stop laughing. thank you tnt

Knowledged_one 10-27-2009 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammersavage (Post 2543564)
6 days til tip off. Here is an Eastern Conference preview for all the relevant and local teams:

Celtics-The health of the Big 3 (or is it 4 now with Sheed), particularly KG's knee. Sheed can be well behaved when he is on a team who is winning and with the veterans that surround him in Boston, I don't think he will be an issue at all.
Rando's mindset with the trade rumors this offseason will be a question mark for a kid who, despite having the talent to be a top 5 PG in the league, has shown immaturity at times. It could be the last run for this group. If age doesn't catch up with them, the should easily win the division and compete to represent the East in the Finals.

Cavs-Is Shaq really the #2 LeBron's never truly had in Cleveland? Not exactly, but the big man did show he had something left in the tank last year (thank you Phoenix Suns training staff). I think the Jamario Moon/Anthony Parker signings that will make more of an impact, especially on the perimeter where the Magic murdered them in playoffs last year.
They have the best player on the planet who will surely be on the short list for MVP when the season is over. With free agency looming, this is the Cav's last chance to keep the king reigning in Cleveland.

Magic-The idea of Vince Carter taking a shot in a big spot should make Orlando fans cringe. Losing Hedo was the biggest loss for any contender this offseason, he could play any position for them. Courtney Lee and Rafer Alston played important minutes for them in the postseason.
But Jameer Nelson is healthy and he was incredible in the first half for them last year. The best center in the league. Bringing Gortat back and the acquisition of Ryan Anderson were sneaky moves that will payoff big. They are too talented to falter during the regular season, but I think with the matchup problems that they used to create now much smaller and VC in a big spot, I don't think they can make it out of the East.

Bulls-Losing Ben Gordon hurts, especially on their perimeter shooting. But if Rose gets better in his second year, now with a healthy Luol Deng, they could contend. They are in the 2nd tier of Eastern Conference teams. The Wizards are at the bottom rung of this crew.

Hawks-Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, and Al Horford are as talented a top 3 as there is in the East. But like Chicago, aren't in the same class as Cleveland, Boston and Orlando.

Heat-DWade can will them into the playoffs but not much more. He needs Beasley to figure it out if they expect to make a deep run. Only 2 players under contract after this year. The Summer of 2010 will be hanging over them if they don't have a team worthy of Wade to stay for.

Nets-$200 million doesn't buy what it used to. Devin Harris is an all-star and Brook Lopez is one of the better big men in the East. Terrence Williams will be a good pro, Courtney Lee can be a starter on a title contender, CRD committed himself to getting better in the offseason and can be a huge defensive presence. But they are a couple years away from competing. Who takes over the game in the 4th when they need a big shot? I think they will be more competitive then anyone is giving them credit for, but the playoffs won't be in the cards.

Knicks-Sure, they'll finally have the ever allusive 'cap space' after this season, but who will the player its spent on be playing aside? I guess they will be entertaining from an offensive perspective but there isn't much there to get excited about after Lee and Robinson. Can't wait to see what Darko provides.

Im sorry but how are the Wizards not local or relevant? A lot of DC people on this board and a team being picked to finish 4th in the east but they arent relevant?

And without trying to be a KHB but after one game, Gilbert Arenas looks to be back and almost as good as before the injury

Fallon 10-27-2009 07:41 PM

82-0

hammersavage 10-28-2009 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowledged_one (Post 2552243)
Im sorry but how are the Wizards not local or relevant? A lot of DC people on this board and a team being picked to finish 4th in the east but they arent relevant?

And without trying to be a KHB but after one game, Gilbert Arenas looks to be back and almost as good as before the injury

The Wiz are barely relevant to DC people. And I mentioned them as part of the 2nd rung of teams in the East.

A.J. 10-28-2009 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGameHHH (Post 2552215)
wait, scratch that.....watching Adam Morrison accept his NBA Championship ring was easily the highlight of my night. I honestly could not stop laughing. thank you tnt

Did he lie sobbing on the court?

TjM 10-28-2009 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallon (Post 2552296)
82-0

I like the cut of your jib

Fallon 10-29-2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjM (Post 2552447)
I like the cut of your jib

80 more to go!

hanso 10-29-2009 10:18 PM

Its fun to watch Shaq under the basket.
He just moves and his defender potently gets injured.

Knowledged_one 10-30-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammersavage (Post 2552417)
The Wiz are barely relevant to DC people. And I mentioned them as part of the 2nd rung of teams in the East.

clearly you know nothing about dc and the wizards if you think they arent relevant in dc

hammersavage 10-30-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knowledged_one (Post 2556102)
clearly you know nothing about dc and the wizards if you think they arent relevant in dc

first off, i was kidding. secondly, i could give two shits about DC. thirdly, they are BY FAR the 3rd most popular team in a 4 sport city.

Ritalin 10-30-2009 12:11 PM

Anybody read the Donegy (sp?) book sections on deadspin.com? Pretty interesting, and if it's true really damaging.

I think it's probably true.

PhishHead 10-30-2009 12:12 PM

hammersavage knows absolutely nothing about basketball demonstrated by his lists above. No one listen to him, he is just as bad as hippo!

epo 10-30-2009 04:18 PM

Pick up Brandon Jennings for your fantasy leagues right now.