RonFez.net Messageboard

RonFez.net Messageboard (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/index.php)
-   Old School (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61439)

AKA 07-03-2007 05:56 AM

Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor

Absolutely one of my favorite childhood memories - the place was only good for birthdays - I think we went there once, with my folks, for an actual dinner and it just felt wrong. They all closed - someone has the franchise, though, and is making a run of it out in California.

Complete and total cheeseball-ness - perfect for anyone growing up in the early 60s, 70s or 80s - back when we really did think that it was cool that Fonzi jumped that shark, not knowing how ironic we would one day find it!

http://www.farrellsusa.com/Images/Fa...rrelllogo1.jpg

Mix in one-part Old Fashion Hokum, a dash of convenience, a sprinkle of Chuck E. Cheese-a-peal, a pound of Party Cake Ice Cream and two parts bells and whistles; mix it all together in a giant pigs troff before heating it up in a pre-cable television/internet/cynical tween environment, and serving it like you were the the Keystone Cops to a group of 20 ten year olds.

I'm moving to Santa Clara!

Don Stugots 07-03-2007 06:02 AM

i loved that place. there was one in the staten island mall and we would always go it. i would rather go there than to a freakin' applebee's.

Tenbatsuzen 07-03-2007 06:45 AM

There was one in East Brunswick too. I always remember them hitting the big bass drum in the middle of the restaurant during a birthday or a celebration. Because of the architecture of the Brunswick Square mall, you had to go through a tunnel before you got in there (don't ask)

It's now a scrubs store.

Tenbatsuzen 07-03-2007 06:47 AM

and after perusing the website, I know Farrell's is dedicated to old-timey nostaglia, but that doesn't include web design from the mid-90's. Jeez...

mikeyboy 07-03-2007 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKA (Post 1377028)
Absolutely one of my favorite childhood memories - the place was only good for birthdays - I think we went there once, with my folks, for an actual dinner and it just felt wrong. They all closed - someone has the franchise, though, and is making a run of it out in California.

I had a birthday party there as a kid. I overstuffed myself and thew up ice cream in the entranceway on the way out.

Ritalin 07-03-2007 07:56 AM

I loved Farrells. They had a thing called "the Zoo", and it was this huge silver bowl full of ice cream for like 5 people, and they'd bring it out on a stretcher and all the lights in the place would flash and the waiters would run it around the restaurant blowing kazoos.

Good times.

KC2OSO 07-03-2007 09:18 AM

I thought this thread was going to be about this cokie:http://www.sirius.com/servlet/BlobSe...=1154618252106
Shake it up. How can I be the man...

King Hippos Bandaid 07-03-2007 09:57 AM

Farrells was Fucking Awsome

As Stugots Said, there was one in Staten Island. There would be a Candy Store oin the Front with all cool Candy Choices.

Then a Kick Ass Restaurant with a Dessert menu, that can match any place in the world.

The Kicker was that they gave you a Free Sundae on your Burfday( plus a big Brass Drum . I would get 6 or 7 a year until I was flagged as a Fatty who wanted free Ice Cream

They placed a Red Robin in its place, I loved Red Robin, but it and Staten Island didnt mix, now we have 87 Applebees and no cool chains

This Rant is Over
:king:

AKA 07-03-2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyboy (Post 1377073)
I had a birthday party there as a kid. I overstuffed myself and thew up ice cream in the entranceway on the way out.

NICE!

We lived for the one at Springfield Mall. ALWAYS got "The Zoo." ALWAYS ate too much. I remember coming back from college and seeing it had closed completely broke my heard

Don Stugots 07-03-2007 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Hippos Bandaid (Post 1377302)
Farrells was Fucking Awsome

As Stugots Said, there was one in Staten Island. There would be a Candy Store oin the Front with all cool Candy Choices.

Then a Kick Ass Restaurant with a Dessert menu, that can match any place in the world.

The Kicker was that they gave you a Free Sundae on your Burfday( plus a big Brass Drum . I would get 6 or 7 a year until I was flagged as a Fatty who wanted free Ice Cream

They placed a Red Robin in its place, I loved Red Robin, but it and Staten Island didnt mix, now we have 87 Applebees and no cool chains

This Rant is Over
:king:

i really had no idea it was a chain till i seen this thread. The name Farrell is on a few businesses in staten island and i guessed they were part of it. the only other place i can say i liked as a kid was the ground round. other than that, it was mom and pop type places for us.

lleeder 07-03-2007 12:26 PM

howcanibethemanwhenyoutheman shakeitup!!!!

FUNKMAN 07-03-2007 12:29 PM

i believe there was one in or near the Paramus Mall. went there a couple times as a kid...

i liked the ice cream i'm sure but I remember thinking the 'singing birthday siren' thing was corny and weird, even as a kid... didn't they bring out a big bucket of ice cream or something like that

cougarjake13 07-03-2007 06:21 PM

had a many birthday parties at farrell's

loved it when they used to bang the gong

i think there's a chevy's there now where farrell's used to be

misterquaid 07-03-2007 06:57 PM

The one in the staten island mall had a player piano.

An amazing day was getting a t-shirt with a cool iron-on in the honeycomb and then checking out the piano at Farrell's

hubdog420 07-03-2007 07:00 PM

shake it up!

i miss hiss crappy voice in the morning

hedges 07-03-2007 07:49 PM

We had a Farrell's when I was growing up in the 70s, right outside of D.C., I think in Bethesda MD, in a strip mall. We went there all the time, and as a kid the place was really cool. The birthday parties were pretty loud and crazy for a bunch of kids. I remember my sister had a party there once, and had a huge bowl filled with like 15 scoops of ice cream.

joethebartender 07-04-2007 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUNKMAN (Post 1377492)
i believe there was one in or near the Paramus Mall. went there a couple times as a kid...

i liked the ice cream i'm sure but I remember thinking the 'singing birthday siren' thing was corny and weird, even as a kid... didn't they bring out a big bucket of ice cream or something like that

I think it was in the Bergen Mall in Paramus. I had like 6 birthdays a year in that place! According to Farrell's, I'm 154 years old.

buzzard 07-04-2007 08:58 PM

I remember projectile vomiting after eating a "pig trough" in Portland Or. Good times!

ralphbxny 07-10-2007 12:11 PM

I had no Idea the place existed...but I would have loved it.

mcgeearch 08-08-2007 12:27 PM

Looking for original Woodfield employees

Does anyone know somebody who started working when the Woodfield Mall store in Schaumburg, IL opened in 1971? We're looking for old employees for a reunion.

Email me at buzz1953@aol.com
Thanks.
Mike McGee

Ritalin 08-08-2007 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcgeearch (Post 1421038)
Does anyone know somebody who started working when the Woodfield Mall store in Schaumburg, IL opened in 1971? We're looking for old employees for a reunion.

Email me at buzz1953@aol.com
Thanks.
Mike McGee

Freaky. That's where I went as a kid.