RonFez.net Messageboard

RonFez.net Messageboard (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/index.php)
-   Listening Threads (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Opie and Anthony Listening Thread - May 2012 (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91795)

sailor 05-03-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorro (Post 2970657)
No matter how you slice it it costs NJ Transit more to sell tickets on the train than through a booth or machine.

Based on what? Because you say so?

OGC 05-03-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor (Post 2970666)
What's rules? You're allowed to buy them on the train...

Yes you are allowed to buy tickets on the train, they are allowed to charge you more to do so. If you don't like paying more, buy your ticket before you get on the train.

Zorro 05-03-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor (Post 2970667)
Based on what? Because you say so?

Actually, no. I can think of a bunch of reasons, but first I'd take Economies of Scale... The human in the booth can sell tickets for all trains NJ Transit runs. The conductor can only sell tickets for the train you're riding. I'll let you do the math.

...the human in the booth argument is a red herring anyway. The point of charging you an excessive amount is to encourage you to buy from a machine on the platform.

sailor 05-03-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGC (Post 2970668)
Yes you are allowed to buy tickets on the train, they are allowed to charge you more to do so. If you don't like paying more, buy your ticket before you get on the train.

I was only questioning his implying they weren't following the rules. You're arguing against something I didn't say.

sailor 05-03-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorro (Post 2970670)
Actually, no. I can think of a bunch of reasons, but first I'd take Economies of Scale... The human in the booth can sell tickets for all trains NJ Transit runs. The conductor can only sell tickets for the train you're riding. I'll let you do the math.

...the human in the booth argument is a red herring anyway. The point of charging you an excessive amount is to encourage you to buy from a machine on the platform.

I get your second point that they're trying to discourage our basing it on the train. I never disputed that fact, so I don't know why you're arguing like I did. The conductor is already there, it's not costing them more to collect cash there. I'll give it may take him a few moments more, and also concede a small surcharge is fair, but doubling up the cost is again taking dvantage of someone who has no option at that point except to get off the train, buy a ticket at a machine and then wait for the next train. I just think doubling the cost is excessive and don't see how people argue it isn't.

zildjian361 05-03-2012 04:57 PM

Opie at the Bruce show,at the rock in Nj cant believe he made it to work.

Zorro 05-03-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor (Post 2970715)
I get your second point that they're trying to discourage our basing it on the train. I never disputed that fact, so I don't know why you're arguing like I did. The conductor is already there, it's not costing them more to collect cash there. I'll give it may take him a few moments more, and also concede a small surcharge is fair, but doubling up the cost is again taking dvantage of someone who has no option at that point except to get off the train, buy a ticket at a machine and then wait for the next train. I just think doubling the cost is excessive and don't see how people argue it isn't.

It's really quite simple ... everytime the conductor collects cash (s)he then has to account for it and transfer it. Then it has to be accounted for on the other end, put together and then deposited. An extremely labor intensive process and certainly double the cost of a completely electronic one.

sailor 05-04-2012 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorro (Post 2970827)
It's really quite simple ... everytime the conductor collects cash (s)he then has to account for it and transfer it. Then it has to be accounted for on the other end, put together and then deposited. An extremely labor intensive process and certainly double the cost of a completely electronic one.

No, they probably have a drop-safe at their main office and one general cashier who reconciles and deposits the cash along with the much larger volume of cash collected at machines and by window agents. Heck, with the vast majority of their cash coming from the latter two sources, any money collected on a train is a fairly insignificant blip to their general cashier.

realmenhatelife 05-04-2012 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor (Post 2970649)
In their defense, they didn't plan on paying via CC; they were running late and bought they had enough cash to get by. Also, there's no reason for the ticket price to double because there's a human agent. First, the conductor is working the train no matter what. Second, if you buy your ticket from a human agent at a booth it costs the same as at a machine. For whatever reason they want to discourage buying tickets on the train. It smacks of price-gouging.

But not in their defense does anyone anywhere not charge more buying a ticket on the train than at a booth? Even tokens are cheaper and you actually pay right on the bus or trolly for those. Here's an annoying thing that happened... Ok, I understand that. Can you believe what a prick this guy is.... That I dont.

Punching the ticket is a lot more labor/training intensive than just walking down the aisle looking at transpasses and prepaid tickets. If you didnt sell tickets on the train you'd have less people working and wouldn't need any of the cash handling stuff they must have on board, like safes or whatever.

But yes, there's definately price gouging going on. But I'd rather prepay 5 and have access to automated machines. Septa is way more than that and the ticket offices are open for like 20 minutes a day.

Warren Peace 05-04-2012 06:03 AM

*sigh* another Opie reference to "babysitting" his son.

sailor 05-04-2012 06:04 AM

This zeppelin shit always pisses me off. Page (to my recollection) asked to borrow that spirit riff. As for the blues/folk music shit, I've always seen it credited on their albums. And let's not forgt that blues people ALWAYS borrow from older blues guys. Hell, just look at the people who restructured Robert Johnson shit.

Just found this from a paper called borrowing the blues:

Blues music traditionally has reflected an aesthetic based on borrowing, which has contributed to the dynamism and widespread reach of blues as a musical form. Borrowing is thus an important element in blues innovation and is evident in both the sources from which blues derives as genre as well as in the culture of borrowing that has frequently existed among blues musicians.

sailor 05-04-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Peace (Post 2970962)
*sigh* another Opie reference to "babysitting" his son.

He has to be doing it now just to piss people off.

LeedsJr 05-04-2012 11:47 AM

The cloud guy is absolutely cracking me up. :lol:

Furtherman 05-04-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor (Post 2970666)
What's rules? You're allowed to buy them on the train. It's like how gas stations on the highway charge more for gas. It's understandable, but if a place charged double because it was 40 miles to the next station it would be seen as a scummy move.

I meant someone walking on the train with a credit card expecting to be able to pay. I guess I meant "common sense".

Chimee 05-04-2012 01:44 PM

When Roland is pissed he almost sounds like a real person.

hanso 05-04-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimee (Post 2971225)
When Roland is pissed he almost sounds like a real person.

Now that I like/Lol @ mocking his laugh they don't do it anymore.

Zorro 05-05-2012 07:00 PM

Very cool @AnthonyCumia vs @melissastetten war being conducted on twitter tonight.

This picture of the hottub seems to have gotten it started

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...lyCompound.jpg

underdog 05-05-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorro (Post 2971523)
Very cool @AnthonyCumia vs @melissastetten war being conducted on twitter tonight.

With all his money, he's managed to fill a hot tub with a bunch of ugly girls. Good work, Ant.

Zorro 05-05-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underdog (Post 2971533)
With all his money, he's managed to fill a hot tub with a bunch of ugly girls. Good work, Ant.

Maybe he's trying to economize

deliciousV 05-05-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

but he'll drunkenly nail them all, so that's something, right?

IamFogHat 05-05-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Yeah but sometimes, when nothing's going on, it just feels good to put your p inside a p.
I'm censoring myself cause I don't want Misti to be mad at me tomorrow. Although I guess it's okay to say penis right?

underdog 05-05-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deliciousV (Post 2971633)
but he'll drunkenly nail them all, so that's something, right?

If you had a 1/4 ounce of weed, you could bang all those chicks.

deliciousV 05-05-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underdog (Post 2971639)
If you had a 1/4 ounce of weed, you could bang all those chicks.

but I don't, and isn't that the moral of this story?

IamFogHat 05-05-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deliciousV (Post 2971642)
but I don't, and isn't that the moral of this story?

That is so far from the moral of this story...Nevermind.

OGC 05-06-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorro (Post 2971523)

I thought no one wore bathing suits in Anthony's hot tub.