RonFez.net Messageboard

RonFez.net Messageboard (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/index.php)
-   Games And Sports (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   2012 Boston Red Sox Thread (Offseason edition) (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91740)

TjM 08-25-2012 05:17 AM

@MikeSilvermanBB
#RedSox source: Deal is done. Worth $275-plus million in savings to Red Sox. Will pay #Dodgers $12M. bit.ly/LXiJpq #MLB

underdog 08-25-2012 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TjM (Post 3006545)
No they won't Udog. They'll use the money to lock up Jacoby and sign free agents

Or they'll let him walk because he wants "too much money".

OGC 08-25-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underdog (Post 3006539)
Who cares?! That money is a drop in the bucket to what the Red Sox bring in worldwide.

I want an owner that treats the team like a toy, not like a fucking investment.

They're going to blow up this team and fill it with AAA talent. But at least they won't be spending money! And then they'll raise ticket prices again so they can "pursue" talent.

How can you possibly complain about the amount of money this ownership has spent since they took over ? They've been in the top 3 in salary for the last 10 years.

Yes you can complain about WHO they spent the money on but certainly not that they don't spend.

underdog 08-25-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGC (Post 3006554)
How can you possibly complain about the amount of money this ownership has spent since they took over ? They've been in the top 3 in salary for the last 10 years.

Yes you can complain about WHO they spent the money on but certainly not that they don't spend.

And now they're trying to dump it all!

They SHOULD be in the top 3 in salary. They bring in a lot of money, they should be spending it, not complaining that they spent too much and now need to dump it.

cougarjake13 08-25-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underdog (Post 3006565)

They SHOULD be in the top 3 in salary. They bring in a lot of money, they should be spending it, not complaining that they spent too much and now need to dump it.

yeh but if it's not working move on and try again

Snoogans 08-25-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

what if they arent dumping, just droppin unhappy guys? what if they go out and spend this offseason and bring in the 4 best players?

cougarjake13 08-25-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoogans (Post 3006571)
what if they arent dumping, just droppin unhappy guys? what if they go out and spend this offseason and bring in the 4 best players?

zactly

Jujubees2 08-25-2012 10:24 AM

The only thing I don't like about this deal is that the Red Sox weren't able to somehow include Lackey in it!

hanso 08-25-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

That might be L.A. now 250 Mil. what I heard.

A.J. 08-25-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underdog (Post 3006441)
Fuck this team. If they trade Gonzalez, I'm done.

Run two people out of town, hire a clown manager, leak "stories" about the locker room and make the fans turn on the players, then dump all the salaries. The ownership for this team is a bunch of fucking scumbags.

Fuck this team. I'm going to start rooting for the Nationals.

Stop stealing my bit.

A.J. 08-25-2012 11:47 AM

At first, I was furious about this deal mainly for getting rid of Gonzo. His flaws aside, he still managed to be one of the few bright spots this season. And what bringing him here cost the team: giving up top prospects Casey Kelly and Anthony Rizzo, cutting Adrian Beltre and Victor Martinez loose and, eventually letting Youk go, I didn't like the idea of giving up on him after barely 2 seasons.

But what I've heard and read since that this was the only way to dump Beckett and Crawford (read: cleaning up Theo's mess), then I guess I'm OK with sacrificing Gonzo. Now if they can dump Lackey and Dice-K and even use some of these new Dodger pickups as trade bait to reload the minors, I'll be even happier.

OGC 08-25-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.J. (Post 3006595)
At first, I was furious about this deal mainly for getting rid of Gonzo. His flaws aside, he still managed to be one of the few bright spots this season. And what bringing him here cost the team: giving up top prospects Casey Kelly and Anthony Rizzo, cutting Adrian Beltre and Victor Martinez loose and, eventually letting Youk go, I didn't like the idea of giving up on him after barely 2 seasons.

But what I've heard and read since that this was the only way to dump Beckett and Crawford (read: cleaning up Theo's mess), then I guess I'm OK with sacrificing Gonzo. Now if they can dump Lackey and Dice-K and even use some of these new Dodger pickups as trade bait to reload the minors, I'll be even happier.

I agree with all of this. Unfortunately getting rid of Lackey won't be so easy since he is coming off of Tommy John surgery. Maybe in the spring.

On the bright side, isn't Dice-K's contract up at the end of the season ?

OGC 08-25-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

So you are saying even though they have been in the top 3 in salary (above the luxury tax) they should be spending even more ? And you would rather pay Beckett $34 million for the next 2 years and about $20 million/per that Crawford was due over the next 5 years than "dump" their salaries ?

A.J. 08-25-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGC (Post 3006610)
So you are saying even though they have been in the top 3 in salary (above the luxury tax) they should be spending even more ? And you would rather pay Beckett $34 million for the next 2 years and about $20 million/per that Crawford was due over the next 5 years than "dump" their salaries ?

I think he meant "spend wisely" - not overspend the way Theo did because he thought he had to compete with every one of Cashman's moves.

The Crawford deal was one thing: paying big for a free agent who turned out to be a bust. Gonzo was the makeup deal for not getting Texiera. They gave up a lot to get him but, unlike Crawford, he actually produced.

OGC 08-25-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.J. (Post 3006614)
I think he meant "spend wisely" - not overspend the way Theo did because he thought he had to compete with every one of Cashman's moves.

The Crawford deal was one thing: paying big for a free agent who turned out to be a bust. Gonzo was the makeup deal for not getting Texiera. They gave up a lot to get him but, unlike Crawford, he actually produced.

Absolutely. They need to spend their money wisely. It is obvious to me that the money that Beckett was due in the next 2 years and probably to a lesser extent, Crawford was due over the next 5 years, would not be money well spent. Unfortunately they had to part with Adrian Gonzalez (who's contract seems like a bargain) to get rid of the other two.

A.J. 08-25-2012 02:01 PM

Well it's official now. And I guess Loney is still a pretty good pickup -- along with the 2 pitchers.

Snoogans 08-25-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.J. (Post 3006619)
Well it's official now. And I guess Loney is still a pretty good pickup -- along with the 2 pitchers.

sands is gonna be ok too. He is a 1b/PF who has some pop and can hit lefties pretty well. I think that he is gonna surprise people.

cougarjake13 08-25-2012 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoogans (Post 3006621)
sands is gonna be ok too. He is a 1b/PF who has some pop and can hit lefties pretty well. I think that he is gonna surprise people.

are the celtics gonna use him to spell garnett ??

Snoogans 08-25-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cougarjake13 (Post 3006623)
are the celtics gonna use him to spell garnett ??

fuck i meant OF

cougarjake13 08-25-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoogans (Post 3006630)
fuck i meant OF

yeh I know the o and p are right next to each other

but what's life without busting some balls

Snoogans 08-25-2012 05:57 PM

fuck AGone. First AB with the dodgers he hits a fuckin bomb. Fuck him.

I hate when dudes just mail it in and dont give a shit cause they are unhappy with a city or dont like the manager. All he did was bitch about stuff and then just start tryin to slap hit the ball around when he didnt feel like tryin. Now he is hittin bombs again. FUCK HIM

underdog 08-25-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoogans (Post 3006571)

Are any of those players going to be better than Adrian Gonzalez?

underdog 08-25-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OGC (Post 3006610)

I have no problem trying year three with Crawford. Beckett is whatever. I have no feeling about him.

I'm just upset about letting Gonzalez go.

underdog 08-25-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoogans (Post 3006639)
fuck AGone. First AB with the dodgers he hits a fuckin bomb. Fuck him.

I hate when dudes just mail it in and dont give a shit cause they are unhappy with a city or dont like the manager. All he did was bitch about stuff and then just start tryin to slap hit the ball around when he didnt feel like tryin. Now he is hittin bombs again. FUCK HIM

Wasn't he leading the team in a bunch of offensive categories?

WRESTLINGFAN 08-25-2012 08:01 PM

Hey Don is chicken and beer allowed in the clubhouse?

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...41670522_n.jpg