RonFez.net Messageboard

RonFez.net Messageboard (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/index.php)
-   Weird Medicine (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Epididymitis = sore nuts (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71257)

Dr Steve 07-06-2008 08:11 PM

Epididymitis = sore nuts

Quote:

Originally Posted by FezsAssistant (Post 1780905)
Hi Doctor Steve,

I love your show and all your appearances on 202.

well, you rule, then.

Quote:

One month ago, I went to a urologist with left testicle discomfort. I was told it was epididymitis. FYI, I have no pain with urination and no lower back pain. My prostate is also fine.

I took Cipro and NSAID's for one week (bid), then Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim and NSAID's for two weeks, bid. It improved, but I still felt some discomfort. Now I'm on Cipro for another 10 days, bid. Friday (tomorrow) is my last two pills. I still feel a little discomfort. No shooting pain, just some dull discomfort now and then.

I haven't exercised for over a month and I've started wearing briefs for more support, but I participate in self-love once or twice a day. I guess I probably shouldn't do that, but the Dr never mentioned it. Should I lay off that for a while?

Also, upon my own inspection I can only visually detect an epididymis with the left testicle. I don't see anything similar on the right side. My Dr told me one testicle should always be bigger and it's common. He told me last week I'm 90% improved.

Should I see a 2nd Dr or does this all sound normal?

Thank you very much for your time.
Ok, let's talk a little about epididymitis.

The epididymis is an interface between the testicle and the tube that sperm cells travel up to get to the body (the vas deferens). It's a squishy ovoid structure stuck on the back of the testicle itself. You can feel it if you reach down, feel your nuts, and take your thumb and first finger and make a "C" shape with the tips of your fingers meeting at the top backside of the testicle (with your hand in front).

Crap, it's too complicated to describe in words, let me see if I can find a picture:

http://www.smithinstituteforurology....pain_img_1.gif

Ok. Epididymitis is simply inflammation of the epididymis (the suffix "itis" simply means "inflammation of", and is also used as "infection of"...so meningitis is inflammation of the meninges in the central nervous system, pneumonitis is inflammation of the lungs, etc). It can be caused by infection or trauma (heavy lifting, vigorous sex, etc) and generally causes a dull and gnawing pain in the nether regions that is quite annoying, if not debilitating.

The standard treatment for epididymitis is:

1) scrotal support
lift those nuts so the epididymis isn't hanging by the vas and causing more pain and discomfort

2) sitz baths
let the nuts float in warm water for 30 minutes a day...taking the effects of gravity off them is quite a relief

3) antiinflammatory drugs
it makes sense that if the problem is inflammation, an antiinflammatory drug should help!

4) antibiotics
one can't usually tell if the epididymis is infected, so most people will prescribe an antibiotic to make sure this isn't missed.

Sometimes epididymitis becomes chronic and won't go away easily. Your urologist has some things he/she can do about this, but they're pretty invasive. the good news is the vast majority of cases will resolve with standard treatment.

The only problem I see with masturbating when you have epididymitis is if you're traumatizing yourself by literally "beating your meat". Go easy on yourself; I've never heard that ejaculation is a problem in epididymitis.

Heavy lifting is a bitch when you have epididymitis. Avoid it until your symptoms are LONG gone. Start up too soon and you'll notice the pain in your nuts comes back.

I'm scared that you're saying you can SEE your epididymis. Can you clarify that? Feeling it is one thing; seeing it is in a whole 'nother dimension.

If the briefs aren't doing the trick, even try a jock strap. More support=more gooder.

Hope this helps.

your friend,

Steve

cozzie 07-06-2008 08:43 PM

Damn! Dr Steve I always love reading your reponses to med ?, and love you on the show, but no more ball talk? you have me looking for shit that's not there.

KingGeno 07-06-2008 08:57 PM

I went through Epididymitis back in 1999. I was told by my docotr that it was caused by extreme heat, not enough support, etc. Makes sense, as I was working at an Italian Market down the jersey shore in the hot ass kitchen, and then I would go work out and run on the boardwalk wearing boxers the majority of the time.

It's weird, because I feel that sometimes it comes back, sorta like my balls are having recurring concussions. Ball-cussions.

My symptoms were lots of pain, as if I got my balls caught and yanked in something. Weird feeling, but I definitely don't remember seeing outward signs.

Lawson 07-06-2008 08:58 PM

Fun with epididymitis

I had epididymitis 20+ years ago. My doctor at the time, who spoke English with a very heavy Korean accent, explained the symptoms and the standard treatment (Cipro) and what might have caused it. He said, or at least I think he said (because of the communication difficulty), that it could also be exacerbated by a backup of fluids. He said something about “more sex”… now whether he meant the problem was caused by having more sex than usual, or that I needed to have more sex to correct the problem, or I wish this swollen balled idiot would get out of my office so I can have more sex with my nurse… I’ll never know. But when he walked me out to the reception area, my very worried girlfriend was anxiously waiting to find out what the problem was. I told her I was just backed up and needed more sex. My doctor just laughed and nodded. I’m not sure if it was the Cipro or the frequent attention I received from my girlfriend over the next few weeks, but it cleared up pretty quickly… almost too quickly.

FezsAssistant 07-10-2008 03:55 PM

Thank you Dr. Steve. You're amazing.

To clarify my "seeing the epididymis"...

When the scrotum is looser (like after a shower), if I softly push my testicles up against the skin, I can kind of see the outline of my testicles under the skin (just like I can see the outline of my hand if I push it up from under a blanket - I can make out the shape).
I can see what I think is the outline of the epididymis connected to the left testicle (big puffy lumpy veins all of which are soft). I do not see the outline of a similar structure on the right side.
I wasn't sure if this is normal or if I just have one epididymis. I suppose the left one is still inflamed as the general aching is coming back again after a month of antibiotics.

I need to buy more briefs, too.

Thank you for all the time and help. I've been stressed about this. It sucks to have an achy ball.

FezsAssistant 07-10-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawson (Post 1783242)
I had epididymitis 20+ years ago. My doctor at the time, who spoke English with a very heavy Korean accent, explained the symptoms and the standard treatment (Cipro) and what might have caused it. He said, or at least I think he said (because of the communication difficulty), that it could also be exacerbated by a backup of fluids. He said something about “more sex”… now whether he meant the problem was caused by having more sex than usual, or that I needed to have more sex to correct the problem, or I wish this swollen balled idiot would get out of my office so I can have more sex with my nurse… I’ll never know. But when he walked me out to the reception area, my very worried girlfriend was anxiously waiting to find out what the problem was. I told her I was just backed up and needed more sex. My doctor just laughed and nodded. I’m not sure if it was the Cipro or the frequent attention I received from my girlfriend over the next few weeks, but it cleared up pretty quickly… almost too quickly.

That's good to hear. That's how I was justifying my masturbation.
"If the fluid builds up it will make things worse...so I gotta do this...for my health."

Dr Steve 07-14-2008 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FezsAssistant (Post 1787181)
Thank you Dr. Steve. You're amazing.

To clarify my "seeing the epididymis"...

When the scrotum is looser (like after a shower), if I softly push my testicles up against the skin, I can kind of see the outline of my testicles under the skin (just like I can see the outline of my hand if I push it up from under a blanket - I can make out the shape).
I can see what I think is the outline of the epididymis connected to the left testicle (big puffy lumpy veins all of which are soft). I do not see the outline of a similar structure on the right side.
I wasn't sure if this is normal or if I just have one epididymis. I suppose the left one is still inflamed as the general aching is coming back again after a month of antibiotics.

I need to buy more briefs, too.

Thank you for all the time and help. I've been stressed about this. It sucks to have an achy ball.

What you're seeing is either a "Varicocele", which is a collection of varicose veins surrounding the testicle (a benign condition, but can cause that testicle to make less (or no) sperm due to incomplete temperature control), or it could indeed be an inflammed epididymis.

Anytime there is an assymetry of one testicle over another, it's worth getting a urologist or a good internist/family doctor to check it out. I'd at least see someone to make sure it's nothing more than epididymitis (and it will be, around 95% of the time!)

let us know how it turns out.

steve