RonFez.net Messageboard

RonFez.net Messageboard (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/index.php)
-   That's Life: The Forum (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   From Unemployed to Unemployable‽ (http://www.ronfez.net/forums/showthread.php?t=91469)

Manning, Esq. 01-11-2012 06:30 AM

From Unemployed to Unemployable‽

In the late summer of 2009, I was laid off from a year-old job that I moved nearly 400 miles to snag. Although there was a frenzy of downsizing at the time, the small company biffed half its staff not for genuine fiscal reasons, but for more self-serving aims, in my opinion. During my year there, the owner bought a Jaguar and Benz without trading his Range Rover or Tahoe (four vehicles for the couple and their 19 year old). He took a three-week jaunt to Africa, to boot. My point is that my opinion, though jaded, has some basis in reality.

I was laid off on the day that my family came to visit my new digs for the first time. After they left that week, I immediately began a throwdown of a search, and registered as a volunteer with a local NFP.

Ever since, I've been doing all of the "right things:" volunteering, networking, continued education, snagging contract gigs, opening my own shoestring shop for increased credibility. Now, my unemployment's dissolved. The work that I do get, I can't stand; lately, in the last few months, simply getting paid has been thorny, at best. I've applied to hundreds of jobs, literally, and gotten a dozen interviews. Never pans out: over-qualified; under-qualified; unconnected; no direct experience.

Despite a wide range of skills, an advanced education, a record of loyalty and success, and a great personality (obviously), I can't make it happen. I've targeted openings that I am nearly embarrassed to share with friends and family. Still, nada. I'm not going broke ... yet.

To those who have overcome - Kudos. And, please describe the precise formula that I can follow with relative ease to again be some company's FTE-lacky. Because of my highly tuned intuition, whenever I happen to be in another work environment, I look around, and know without doubt, that I would be a star in the apparent night.

CountryBob 01-11-2012 06:43 AM

Yikes! I hate to work but am thankful I have a job.

Puts on HR hat now - As far as getting a new job, you mentioned dozens of interviews. Have you stepped back and looked at the way you present yourself during the interview process? I do interviewing for my company and if you have the education and required experience, then it all comes down really to a few things.

1. Person A has a wealth of more experience etc over Person B. Both have great attitudes, personality that we are looking for. Person A will get the job.

2. Person A has a wealth of more experience etc over Person B. Person A has a shitty attitude and personality and so Person B will get my vote to hire.

Point is if you are applying to jobs and prove that you have all of the necessary past experience etc - then maybe it is coming down to the way you come off in the interview process.

This is just another angle that you may not be thinking of - (or it dosent apply at all for you)

Manning, Esq. 01-11-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryBob (Post 2924144)
Puts on HR hat now - As far as getting a new job, you mentioned dozens of interviews. Have you stepped back and looked at the way you present yourself during the interview process? I do interviewing for my company and if you have the education and required experience, then it all comes down really to a few things.
This is just another angle that you may not be thinking of - (or it dosent apply at all for you)

Wow, Cbob - Thanks for the insight. I admit that your being in HR crossed my mind a couple times as I thought about starting the discussion. Makes sense you were the first to chime in. I promise none of us will think any more professionally about you because of it.

No doubt, your summary applies to me. It's a universal, complex scenario. Because of my history and education, I oftentimes pursue a position that I know, objectively, that I would excel at, though don't have the direct experience. Thus, I rely on a creative interviewer that can (a) see the personality traits that you suggest; (b) understand how I tailor seemingly unrelated experiences to fit the bill, and believe me; and (c) see common threads throughout my professional life that reflect excellent communications, thoughtful, efficient analyses, and an above-average work ethic.

sailor 01-11-2012 07:00 AM

Put your HR hat back on and give him a job.

disneyspy 01-11-2012 07:03 AM

being employed is over rated,dont let work define you,you define your work

CountryBob 01-11-2012 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailor (Post 2924152)
Put your HR hat back on and give him a job.

oh no - hat fell off and was kicked under the desk.... :ohmy:

Manning, Esq. 01-11-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryBob (Post 2924154)
oh no - hat fell off and was kicked under the desk.... :ohmy:

Oh, I'll fetch that for ya, Sir. Then, I can sharpen your pencils, and go get those MILFs in here for your weekly "secret meeting."

[evidence of good personality?]

CountryBob 01-11-2012 09:13 AM

This one MILF just turned 50 and I swear - any guy (or girl) would bang her silly.

ozzie 01-11-2012 09:24 AM

I do the hiring for my business unit, but it's mostly "blue collar" positions, or manufacturing related.

Still, one thing I've noticed on resumès and interviews is that some people go overboard with trying to communicate how much experience they have.

If it's someone that I really think I might want to hire, I'll sometimes have to jump in, slow them down, and find out if they're willing to do things OUR WAY.

I know that sounds arrogant, but nothing is more annoying and disruptive to production than bringing in some guy/gal who constantly has to tell you "how they did it at their last job".

I've gotten this a lot from former military guys.

YES, experience is great, and YES, I love having fresh sets of eyes and new ideas on how to improve production.

BUT... if your idea isn't implemented, fucking shut up about it already, and don't think that you're going to continue to work here while you're telling your co-workers how we're doing everything "wrong".

But, I digress.

Point is, the applicants don't know exactly what I'm looking for, so they continue to ramble on about their experience, when what I want to hear is that they're going to work hard, be a "team player", and do anything and everything asked of them.

I'll even sometimes hire and train someone that comes off as a hard worker over someone I'm not sure will adapt to "how we do things 'round here".

And by no means am I saying that every (or any) other employer is the same way. You never really know what exactly makes them chose one applicant or another. If you make it to an interview, chances are your experience on paper already got you that far. You have to read the interviewer and try to tell them face to face why you are their guy.

Be brief and concise in presenting your experience. Find out everything you can about the company you're applying to. Compliment them on past successes, and sell them on how well you will fit in, and the immediate impact you can have to boost both productivity, as well as company morale. We all like a pleasant working environment.

Good luck.

CountryBob 01-11-2012 09:45 AM

I had a huge fat woman interviewing for a traveling position.. During the interview she had stated more than once that she hated traveling but did it because she had to. She didnt turn off her cell phone and it rang twice during the interview and finally she was chewing gum the whole time.

I did not recommend her for hire. The travel thing - ehh... didnt really bother me that much but the cell phone really did. I just imagined her with our clients and that damn phone ringing (which is a no-no).

So, I respond more to the personal behavior traits than the experience angle most everytime.

Manning, Esq. 01-11-2012 09:45 AM

Excellent, ozzie! Thanks. Oftentimes, when applicable, I try to emphasize that, yes, I've done all of this meaningful work in the past, plus, I'm highly trainable. In fact, I've developed training modules, trained direct reports, dotted-lines, and peer managers. Meaning, I'm sympathetic to your point, and empathetic.

And, I take your advice about learning about the companies quite seriously. Nearly 100%, I do get compliments during interviews about this; even inform the interviewer about some facet of her business about which she was unfamiliar. I also always ask about who will be conducting the interview. I put together general dossiers, and, without crossing any lines, try to draw out their successes through my own story. I genuinely believe that in many cases I come across as, perhaps, the most desirable person to fill the slot without considering whether another candidate has that valuable, direct experience. In my mind or sometimes in reality, when I get the news of rejection, I hear, "But, I really wish we could have brought you aboard."

Manning, Esq. 01-11-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryBob (Post 2924395)
I had a huge fat woman interviewing for a traveling position.. During the interview she had stated more than once that she hated traveling but did it because she had to. She didnt turn off her cell phone and it rang twice during the interview and finally she was chewing gum the whole time.

Exactly the anectode that pains me. She's likely gotten a job since, despite being so crass as to even leave her phone on. Unbelieveable. Nevertheless, when I hired staff or an assistant, I noted it time and again. So many appear to have this sense of entitlement that, "How dare would someone call me out on my phone going off during an interview (or, present one's self with a complete lack of professional demeanor or dress; talk poorly about the prior employer; etc., etc.)".

I hope you told her to put the lotion on, and hit the bricks.

IamFogHat 01-11-2012 09:54 AM

Here was my journey last/this year.
I was forced to resign from a good job for my own bad decisions. The economy was so bad I had to get a manual labor job for 6 months. I also think I needed a buffer in between the last bad exprience to get the stink off. Then, by chance I found an opening in a field I used to work in, and wound up getting it. Two months later a supervisory position opened up, and I went for it, not thinking I'd get it, but I did. And now things are awesome. Here's my formula; when I worked in this field years before, I was nothing but helpful, friendly, ready to jump into projects, and basically did everything I could to make good impressions with everyone. Now, these years later, a ton of those people I forged such good will with are now the people I needed to get hired, either through the interview process, selection process, and references. Also, one of my rare good traits is in real life I'm actually really charismatic and charming. But honestly I contribute the first part of the formula for why it worked out. So maybe there's some stuff from your past employment you can apply that to. Good luck!

Manning, Esq. 01-11-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamFogHat (Post 2924403)
Here was my journey last/this year. ... So maybe there's some stuff from your past employment you can apply that to. Good luck!

Very good to hear. This, especially because the field I'm now in is unappealing. I left my first post-college gig, despite it's being very challenging, rewarding, important, etc., because it simply got mundane and formulaic. I made superb relationships with those folks; I mean, really followed your path of going over the top. Too far, in fact, because I'd improved systems and procedures to the point that I trained my assistant to take over, automated the rest, and because I felt the need "for more," went back to school.

That path led me to where I am today. So, I pine for that sense of challenge and reward, but have been out of that game too long to be as credible as I believe I am. Also, I'm too far away to get any reliable contact-assistance. But, I reached out anyway, reminisced with my director and some other managers, and got a lot of well-wishing. I know that, on the off chance that something long-distance-wise comes into their radar, they will give me some more street-level assistance.

Thanks & Bully For You!!

Recyclerz 01-11-2012 06:50 PM

I think there's some good advice on here but given the tectonic shifts going on in the economy sometimes you have to go deep in addition to casting a wide net. (You can tell from that sentence I'm not a professional metaphor mixer.)

You haven't mentioned what field you're in or what kind of work you would like to do. If the Esq. in your board name is a clue - you aren't alone. This is the most brutal hiring environment in the legal field in a long, long time. I'm not a lawyer but I've worked with many in several organizations over the years and have a decent network. If this is the area you are interested in let me know (PM me if you don't want to make it "public") and I'll check to see if I know anyone who can help.

TripleSkeet 01-11-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IamFogHat (Post 2924403)
Here was my journey last/this year.
I was forced to resign from a good job for my own bad decisions. The economy was so bad I had to get a manual labor job for 6 months. I also think I needed a buffer in between the last bad exprience to get the stink off. Then, by chance I found an opening in a field I used to work in, and wound up getting it. Two months later a supervisory position opened up, and I went for it, not thinking I'd get it, but I did. And now things are awesome. Here's my formula; when I worked in this field years before, I was nothing but helpful, friendly, ready to jump into projects, and basically did everything I could to make good impressions with everyone. Now, these years later, a ton of those people I forged such good will with are now the people I needed to get hired, either through the interview process, selection process, and references. Also, one of my rare good traits is in real life I'm actually really charismatic and charming. But honestly I contribute the first part of the formula for why it worked out. So maybe there's some stuff from your past employment you can apply that to. Good luck!

Theres a name for that. Its called "Its not what you know, its who you know" and truer words were never spoken. Looking back I dont think Ive ever gotten a job where I didnt know at least one person already working there.

Manning, Esq. 01-12-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Recyclerz (Post 2924602)
I think there's some good advice on here but given the tectonic shifts going on in the economy sometimes you have to go deep in addition to casting a wide net. (You can tell from that sentence I'm not a professional metaphor mixer.)

You haven't mentioned what field you're in or what kind of work you would like to do. If the Esq. in your board name is a clue - you aren't alone. This is the most brutal hiring environment in the legal field in a long, long time. I'm not a lawyer but I've worked with many in several organizations over the years and have a decent network. If this is the area you are interested in let me know (PM me if you don't want to make it "public") and I'll check to see if I know anyone who can help.

Mixing skills aside--though a mash-up of seismology and angling gets an honorable mention--I am thankful for your insight.

Yes, the esquire moniker is more than a nod to Mr. Alex Winter. I've practiced for a few years in insurance, energy, and environment. I'm searching for a less traditional outlet, however. In a nutshell (phraseological proof?), the gamesmanship and contentiousness of fighting in court is waste, in my opinion. I didn't get into law to dive into the adversarial system. More so, I wanted to learn a new style of analysis, prepare myself to have a greater social affect, and enhance my management background.

For five years, I managed a sophisticated, multi-million dollar security program. I am also a trained ethicist (M.A.), a discipline that greatly interests me (call me a professional finger-pointer, if you will). And, I've had success conducting marketing research. All told, any of these alternatives appeal much more to me than "lawyering," in the conventional sense. Most positions that I pursue, to put it simply, include the term, "analyst." I love researching, writing, editing, and, generally, solving complex, ethereal problems.

The trouble, as you may likely know, is to sell myself as something outside the lawyer box. When I do get an interview, I see it as a victory in itself because it is a tough nut to crack--The Lawyer. Though I know that many hiring managers are not convinced that, given the right opportunity, they may lose me to a firm, I also understand that practicing comprises my most recent experience field, and, technically, it is not the same, professionally, as serving as an analyst. A logistical problem also exists in my location: 90 miles from even mid-sized cities; something I cannot change without an extremely "rewarding" offer.

CountryBob 01-12-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manning, Esq. (Post 2924804)
Mixing skills aside--though a mash-up of seismology and angling gets an honorable mention--I am thankful for your insight.

Yes, the esquire moniker is more than a nod to Mr. Alex Winter. I've practiced for a few years in insurance, energy, and environment. I'm searching for a less traditional outlet, however. In a nutshell (phraseological proof?), the gamesmanship and contentiousness of fighting in court is waste, in my opinion. I didn't get into law to dive into the adversarial system. More so, I wanted to learn a new style of analysis, prepare myself to have a greater social affect, and enhance my management background.

For five years, I managed a sophisticated, multi-million dollar security program. I am also a trained ethicist (M.A.), a discipline that greatly interests me (call me a professional finger-pointer, if you will). And, I've had success conducting marketing research. All told, any of these alternatives appeal much more to me than "lawyering," in the conventional sense. Most positions that I pursue, to put it simply, include the term, "analyst." I love researching, writing, editing, and, generally, solving complex, ethereal problems.

The trouble, as you may likely know, is to sell myself as something outside the lawyer box. When I do get an interview, I see it as a victory in itself because it is a tough nut to crack--The Lawyer. Though I know that many hiring managers are not convinced that, given the right opportunity, they may lose me to a firm, I also understand that practicing comprises my most recent experience field, and, technically, it is not the same, professionally, as serving as an analyst. A logistical problem also exists in my location: 90 miles from even mid-sized cities; something I cannot change without an extremely "rewarding" offer.

Ever considered counseling?

Manning, Esq. 01-12-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryBob (Post 2924905)
Ever considered counseling?

I hope you're suggesting the career variety, rather than a Four Winds kinda deal. But, no, I have not pursued any kind of counseling. Have a link or similar that would give me some bullet points on the prospect--e.g., pay versus free services; general expectations; etc.?

CountryBob 01-12-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manning, Esq. (Post 2924911)
I hope you're suggesting the career variety, rather than a Four Winds kinda deal. But, no, I have not pursued any kind of counseling. Have a link or similar that would give me some bullet points on the prospect--e.g., pay versus free services; general expectations; etc.?

I have no basis for asking that question but only that what you describe as traits you have - makes me think you have lots of patience.

Manning, Esq. 01-12-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryBob (Post 2924920)
I have no basis for asking that question but only that what you describe as traits you have - makes me think you have lots of patience.

Just slapped my forehead. I see. You were suggesting that I get into the counseling profession. Not that I [necessarily] need it. Coincidentally, I was walking the streets last night, just trying to get it right. I thought, it's hard to see with so many around. You know, I just don't like being stuck in the ground. Then, I whistled.

(While I actually did take a night walk last night for 1:15 to clear my head, I didn't really whistle.)

Frankly, I have considered it because I truly love listening to people. Others have said this, too, about me. My typical mode is listening because I know that I can learn more, thus facilitate others, by listening instead of just blabbing away about my own narrative. This, despite being very verbose within DotNet. From your suggestion, I'm going to poke around the field a little over the coming days; I suspect a license would present the biggest challenge.

CountryBob 01-12-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manning, Esq. (Post 2924993)
Just slapped my forehead. I see. You were suggesting that I get into the counseling profession. Not that I [necessarily] need it. Coincidentally, I was walking the streets last night, just trying to get it right. I thought, it's hard to see with so many around. You know, I just don't like being stuck in the ground. Then, I whistled.

(While I actually did take a night walk last night for 1:15 to clear my head, I didn't really whistle.)

Frankly, I have considered it because I truly love listening to people. Others have said this, too, about me. My typical mode is listening because I know that I can learn more, thus facilitate others, by listening instead of just blabbing away about my own narrative. This, despite being very verbose within DotNet. From your suggestion, I'm going to poke around the field a little over the coming days; I suspect a license would present the biggest challenge.

Ehh... I can make you a license in the basement, my money printing press does multiple things.

Manning, Esq. 01-18-2012 06:07 AM

Been phone-tagging in an attempt to set up a first interview with a company who, based on the HR manager's messages, was very interested in my unique credentials, and had an eye on our potential future--i.e., the position I applied for was unchallenging, but a "way in," from my perspective.

When we finally connected this morning. She said, "I've been looking forward to talking to you. We want you to be an _____ manager. Now, where are you?" I reminder her [of the many, many times in my application materials, page headers, cover letter text about how I "looked forward to serving my community and neighbors," etc., etc.].

"Oh," she said, "so you'll be ready to relocate?" Whaaa‽

The original announcement listed my state, and a nearby city. Apparently, division HQ is in my state, but the city location was the same named city in an adjacent state. I, literally, spent over six solid hours on the myriad application processes, including a psych test, and nine pages of narrative; not including the phone-tagging and such. Shazbot.

Silver lining--After reviewing a great deal of Reviews from glassdoor.com, I am oddly pleased it fell out this way. Although, I would have been more than happy to deal with the grief to get a paycheck, and possibly grow into a position that I'm really after.

sailor 01-18-2012 06:13 AM

How far would it have been?

Manning, Esq. 01-18-2012 06:26 AM

>200 miles. I've always been a hearty commuter. Even in college, I drove around 45 miles to and fro. To me, the drives have always been therapeutic. I've learned through the years to be somewhat productive on the road. Though, in graduate school, I crossed the lines while reading behind the wheel; not recommended to anyone. Plus, of course, there's time for the Buddays en route.

Now, and for the coming year at least, I can't make a geographic move. I can, however, commute up to 90 minutes with relative ease. The only thing that would shake me from my position on moving would be either (a) the ideal position that gets me on the track that I want, and/or (b) Booty.