Thread: Mass Effect 3
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #64
Bob Impact
One man's asshole is another's mangina!
Now sir, I just need to look inside your asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmenhatelife View Post
From a story telling standpoint I like how the game ended. It really ends that shit, like for real. It's kindof ironic that people get their hackles up over DLC when the end of the game pretty much slaps the shackles on what they'll ever be able to do with ME from here on out.

I do understand frustration that all of the endings are essentially the same. My instinct is to want more endings so I can be told the story in different ways. But in a recent review of another game Yahtzee makes a really good point, if you're just going to fuck around and change the ending and the history and all that does the story you're telling really mean anything? Does it have any value or risk if I can just boot a save and totally get the opposite outcome 5 minutes after I finish the game?

I think there's a subtle grey area maybe they could've dug around in a little more, which they just sortof hinted at. Is Shephard doing the right thing by stopping the reapers? It will stop the lower species from developing. Are the salarians, who were tadpoles when the protheans were wiped out, all that upset that the protheans didn't finish the crucible and beat the reapers? At their most evolved the species are capable of their most evil. You find out the protheans werent a race of super evolved, benevolent beings. Your own cycle has participated in the genophage and depending on your decisions a geth holocaust.

I think people wanted a return to the status quo. They want things to go back to being how they were before the reapers, which is impossible. That's why the conflict is good in the story, you can only move forward. Every story you see where the goal is to get back to where you were before the conflict happened is about moving backwards and isn't worth telling.

The overarching tropes of Shephard are sacrifice, dedication, and dealing with tough decisions. Thats what the ending is about. As to your decisions not mattering, I dont think this is a fair assessment. Your combat readiness and your paragon/renegade score impact your options through the game and at the end. I didn't have all three outcomes open to me and I had conversation choices locked off with the illusive man.

I can understand how someone might have wished the ending to a really great game trilogy was a little different but allow that the ending is not the game and you have 3 really fantastic games filled with really good story and character to play, what I dont understand in the slightest is the rage. Buncha nerd babies.
Having a conversation option blocked off is a dynamic ending based on your choices over the course of 3 games and 7 years, it's having a choice blocked because you didn't get enough of a paragon/renegade score in this game. Aside from that the bigger issue is that
they only difference between the 3 endings is the color of the explosion
. That's not the "your choices matter" ending they promised but failed to deliver. Which is a shame because the rest of the series, and even most of ME3 was insanely well written.

Bob Impact is offline   Reply With Quote