View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 04:22 AM   #6
realmenhatelife
Nothing starts the day like droning mopery.
I do enjoy lentils.
I just called my step sister and rubbed my dick on the phone

I wasn't upset by the ending because 1. I know the Robert B Browning poem Childe Roland... so I suspected the book would end the way it did (if you dont know it the poem is about Rolands quest for the holy grail and his long journey to reach the dark tower where it is housed, the poem ends when Roland reaches the tower and blows his horn to announce himself but we dont find out if he even goes in). and 2. I had the luxury of never having to wait for one of the books, I started reading them around when Wolves or Song came out and by the time I finished the last book was out. I liked Wizard and Glass but my dad, aunt, and brother who all read the books as they came out hated it because it was such a digression when they had already been waiting so long for the series to advance.

It's definately not an immediately satisfying ending, but it can be. I think you want Roland to be able to rest after his great task, but it makes more sense that he would have to be vigilant and disciplined throughout his life and basically become a guardian of the beam, walking it forever to keep it safe. Roland also represents order in midworld which is being attacked by chaos. Entropy is ongoing and cant be ultimately defeated, only kept at bay. Also, Roland thinks through repeating his journey he can finally perfect it, but perfection is unattainable so he will always guard the beam while he chases perfection.
realmenhatelife is offline   Reply With Quote