View Single Post
Old 06-27-2002, 02:25 PM   #8
A.J.
Misanthrope.
America's flaccid penis
I drink every day.
I feel like a slut.

Quote:
The last time that I read the Declaration of Independence, I don't recall there being any mention of a god.
Here is a link to the Declaration of Independence:

http://www.archives.gov/exhibit_hall...scription.html

Now, you claimed there was no mention of "a god":

Quote:
When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation....

...And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.
As for your other point, I don't think that Bush was "imposing his religion on us". He chose his words carefully:

Quote:
Bush said that when he visited Arizona to see families displaced by wildfires he was searching for something comforting to say and said he settled on telling them "there is a God who loves them. ... I believe that is the case."

® Made By Christy ¯

Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvac View Post
This is why I love A.J.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
Thank God for A.J.
A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote